Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Help 97 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help 97 Camry (1314 Views)

Price Of 97 Camry 4 Cylinder Tokunbo Engine / Engine Dies After Air-Conditioner Is Switched On (97 Camry) / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help 97 Camry by daomi(m): 10:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
pls guru in d house,I have a toyota camry 1997 model v6 engine auto transmission.I want to convert it to 4cylinder engine, I was told by my mechanic dat I will change d gear box,engine and shaft.I need ur advice pls auto expert
Re: Help 97 Camry by donkene(m): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2013
u will buy engine and gear box with shaft either injector or carburator, if injector u need to buy engine wire and brainbox but carburator just ur old wire, but i will advise u to continue with ur v6. And if i may ask what was the problem with ur v6 engine, incase u are in the east i can supply u any 1 u want both the v6 and 4 cylinder, regards donkene 08033743060
Re: Help 97 Camry by daomi(m): 10:37pm On Apr 29, 2013
donkene: u will buy engine and gear box with shaft either injector or carburator, if injector u need to buy engine wire and brainbox but carburator just ur old wire, but i will advise u to continue with ur v6. And if i may ask what was the problem with ur v6 engine, incase u are in the east i can supply u any 1 u want both the v6 and 4 cylinder, regards donkene 08033743060
my v6 guzzle fuel.
Re: Help 97 Camry by Ikenna351(m): 11:49pm On Apr 29, 2013
daomi: my v6 guzzle fuel.

So that's all?

Hmm! I don't know who to blame here: You or the mechanic.

Ikenna.
Re: Help 97 Camry by donkene(m): 5:39am On Apr 30, 2013
has it been taking fuel like that since u bought it or it just started
Re: Help 97 Camry by daomi(m): 12:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
the engine smokes and burn eng
ine oil.
Re: Help 97 Camry by JUO(m): 3:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
lack of maintenance or was it bought like that?
you drive car till the engine oil turn water
Re: Help 97 Camry by Ikenna351(m): 8:48pm On Apr 30, 2013
daomi: the engine smokes and burn eng
ine oil.

And because of this you want to convert your car from V6 to I4? What made you think the I4 engine wont end up like the v6 engine in the car when you havent dealt with what caused the v6 engine to become oil burner and gas guzzler? If I may ask, how is your radiator fan operating? Did you remove your cooling system thermostat at some point? Whats the state of the engine injection system? Has it been emitting black smoke for a long time until the excessive fueling washed down the cylinders ( pistons, rings and crankshaft bearings) and the engine started burning oil and started to emit blue smoke too? Do you use water only instead coolant (premixed or undiluted to be mixed with water) in the cooling system? Do you think if all the above has been going on in that car, that swapping in I4 engine will change anything? Trust me, give it few months, the I4 will start consuming fuel more than the v6 is doing now.

By the way, did you say your mechanic said you only need to swap in an I4 engine, with its gearbox and drive shafts for the conversion to be completed? What a clown that mechanic must be!

To convert v6 to I4, you must also swap in the complete I4 engine ECU and engine wiring harness. Note that there will be some modifications for the ECU to work (like the ECU power source: the relays, ground source, tachometer connection, etc). Also, the v6 radiator may have to be removed and I4 radiator installed. The themostat housing location may differ which will affect the connections of the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also, the engine mounts will have to be changed to I4. The I4 instrument cluster will have to be swapped in, since the v6 tachometer will be giving wrong rpm with I4 engine. The V6 fuel pump may differ from I4 pump, since both may have different factory PSI for the pressure to be enough or adequate for the injectors to do their job. If that is the case, you may need to replace the v6 fuel pump to I4 pump, and may have to change the fuel tank to I4 tank, if the I4 fuel pump doesnt fit into the v6 tank.

If you have made up your mind to do that conversion against all odds, take that car to someone else to do for you, since your present mechanic has no clue what it will take to convert that car to I4 engine.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Help 97 Camry by daomi(m): 3:05pm On May 01, 2013
Ikenna351:

And because of this you want to convert your car from V6 to I4? What made you think the I4 engine wont end up like the v6 engine in the car when you havent dealt with what caused the v6 engine to become oil burner and gas guzzler? If I may ask, how is your radiator fan operating? Did you remove your cooling system thermostat at some point? Whats the state of the engine injection system? Has it been emitting black smoke for a long time until the excessive fueling washed down the cylinders ( pistons, rings and crankshaft bearings) and the engine started burning oil and started to emit blue smoke too? Do you use water only instead coolant (premixed or undiluted to be mixed with water) in the cooling system? Do you think if all the above has been going on in that car, that swapping in I4 engine will change anything? Trust me, give it few months, the I4 will start consuming fuel more than the v6 is doing now.

By the way, did you say your mechanic said you only need to swap in an I4 engine, with its gearbox and drive shafts for the conversion to be completed? What a clown that mechanic must be!

To convert v6 to I4, you must also swap in the complete I4 engine ECU and engine wiring harness. Note that there will be some modifications for the ECU to work (like the ECU power source: the relays, ground source, tachometer connection, etc). Also, the v6 radiator may have to be removed and I4 radiator installed. The themostat housing location may differ which will affect the connections of the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also, the engine mounts will have to be changed to I4. The I4 instrument cluster will have to be swapped in, since the v6 tachometer will be giving wrong rpm with I4 engine. The V6 fuel pump may differ from I4 pump, since both may have different factory PSI for the pressure to be enough or adequate for the injectors to do their job. If that is the case, you may need to replace the v6 fuel pump to I4 pump, and may have to change the fuel tank to I4 tank, if the I4 fuel pump doesnt fit into the v6 tank.

If you have made up your mind to do that conversion against all odds, take that car to someone else to do for you, since your present mechanic has no clue what it will take to convert that car to I4 engine.

Ikenna.
pls can I have ur mail add? Dis mine. Olubabs12@yahoo.com
Re: Help 97 Camry by donkene(m): 8:36pm On May 01, 2013
my brother i will advise u to buy v6 engine and replace it
Re: Help 97 Camry by daomi(m): 10:00pm On May 01, 2013
donkene: my brother i will advise u to buy v6 engine and replace it
thanx bro

(1) (Reply)

Am First Time Buyer And Am Thinking Of Vw Golf4, What Do You Think? / Landcruiser Model Not In The Market. / Car Experts! Is This Possible? See Video..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.