Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America (744 Views)

NBA star Paul George breaks his leg during a basketball game ..,, / Derek Schell Becomes First Openly Gay NCAA Division II Basketball Player / Jason Collins: The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 30, 2013
The Washington Wizards center Jason Collins has become, in his own words,"the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport". Writing in the new issue of Sports Illustrated magazine , Collins says: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."
Collins said that he did not relish the prospect of being the first openly gay player in US team sport, but felt that hecould no longer live a lie.
"I didn't set out to be the firstopenly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport.But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this.Nobody has, which is why I'mraising my hand."
Collins, who also played for the Boston Celtics in the NBA season that has now reachedthe postseason playoffs – for which the Wizards did not qualify – is now, he writes,"literally and figuratively" a free agent. He continues:
I've reached thatenviable state in life. Get the rest from the source http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/29/jason-collins-gay-sports-illustrated-wizards
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 30, 2013
Its looks like been gay is the new trend
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 30, 2013
He is lucky that he is not a nigerian
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 30, 2013
Crap
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by TalkHoha: 11:11am On Apr 30, 2013
I think the Nigerian (Nigerian father, British mother) John Amaechi was the first NBA player to come out, but I may have the details wrong. Good for Jason Collins and the world. It's about honesty and civilized acceptance of people. I hope it inspires other gays to be happy with their nature, and helps more straight people to realize that some people are gay and that's the end of the matter. Gays have been part of all periods of human history and present in all properly explored cultures. Many of the great minds - inventors, artists, philosophers, leaders - in all ages have been gay. I'll just mention the greatest known genius, Leonardo da Vinci. Homophobia shows ignorance of human nature and human history. Live and let live.
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 30, 2013
Talk Hoha: I think the Nigerian (Nigerian father, British mother) John Amaechi was the first NBA player to come out, but I may have the details wrong. Good for Jason Collins and the world. It's about honesty and civilized acceptance of people. I hope it inspires other gays to be happy with their nature, and helps more straight people to realize that some people are gay and that's the end of the matter. Gays have been part of all periods of human history and present in all properly explored cultures. Many of the great minds - inventors, artists, philosophers, leaders - in all ages have been gay. I'll just mention the greatest known genius, Leonardo da Vinci. Homophobia shows ignorance of human nature and human history. Live and let live.
nice and properly written article but do you know that sodom and gomorrah was destroyed for this same thing.
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 30, 2013
Please all nigeria gay celebrities should imitate these dude and come out (lol)
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 30, 2013
The way the Americans support homosexuality is alarming
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 30, 2013
Not that am saying they should be crucified
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 30, 2013
Only in America
Re: NBA Star Becomes The First Openly Gay Active Sports Man In America by TalkHoha: 5:07pm On Apr 30, 2013
Vilicious: nice and properly written article but do you know that sodom and gomorrah was destroyed for this same thing.

I think Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed for numerous sins, including inhospitality. I know that sins forbidden in the Old Testament include mixing fabrics (wearing a polyester-cotton dress!), a girl marrying whilst already disvirgined (I wonder how many girls marry as virgins today), eating some kinds of fish... In the New Testament by which we abide, Jesus specifically spoke against men lusting after women, although St Paul spoke against homosexuality amongst other practices. If we followed strict Christianity, fornication is a deadly sin. Nobody who has ever had sexual intercourse with someone they are not married to has the moral right to condemn gays. What is hard to accept is that a man who might have caused hundred abortions of numerous women, with some of the women's chances of motherhood destroyed consequently and some of them dead from septic abortions, would shout that gays are destroying reproduction. Many women barren today are probably barren from inept abortions caused by sex with men. This Jason Collins has decided to be true to his nature. He could have married some innocent girl and had a sham marriage, become frustrated, had men in secret, become violent to his wife or a drunk or drug addict... There are all sorts of probable social problems. Let homophobes condemn him for accepting his nature. He is admirable, a hero and an inspiration.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, Ghana No Longer Giants Of African Football - Austin Okocha. / 2013 Pools! Week 7 Tips. / Super Sports Acquire Nba Rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.