Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know (122503 Views)

Still Believe Nature Got It Wrong? Top 10 Health Benefits Of Marijuana / 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Beer / Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by phoneport(m): 12:53pm On May 01, 2013
Plantains belong to the same family as bananas but they have to be cooked to be
eaten.

Plantains are delicious and can be found in many places in the world. Here are a few health benefits of plantains:

1,Plantains are very reliable sources of starch and energy.

2, Plantains contain a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and
reduces constipation.

3, Plantains have more vitamin C than bananas. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen- free radicals.

4, Plantains have more vitamin A than bananas. In addition to being a powerful antioxidant, vitamin A plays a vital role in the visual cycle, maintaining healthy mucus membranes, and enhancing skin complexion.

5, As in bananas, they too are rich sources of B-complex vitamins, particularly high in
vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine).
Pyridoxine is an important B-complex vitamin that has a beneficial role in the treatment of neuritis, anemia, and to decrease homocystine (one of the causative factors for coronary artery disease (CHD) and stroke episodes) levels in the
body.

6,Plantains also contain folates, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. Folates (folic acid) are
essential for healthy pregnancy.

7, Plantains also provide adequate levels of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and
phosphorous. Magnesium is essential for bone strengthening and has a cardiac-protective
role as well.

8, Plantains have more potassium than bananas. Potassium is an important component of
cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure, countering negative
effects of sodium.

9, Plantains are famed to be diuretic and can help prevent kidney and bladder problems.

10, Plantains ease the discomfort associated with the menstrual period.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by donez(m): 1:13pm On May 01, 2013
Which one does all these, ripe or unripe?

1 Like

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by merciie(f): 7:53pm On May 01, 2013
i heard that the unripe plantain is more nutritious and healthy

1 Like

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by dominique(f): 7:42am On May 02, 2013
^^^ yeah, they're healthier than the ripe ones, I don't like it tho tongue. Sometimes when I'm eating fried overiped plaintain that's already sogged with oil. I tell myself, e be lyk say you wan die ni tongue

4 Likes

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by phoneport(m): 12:22pm On May 02, 2013
All the same the ripe one (dodo) is sweeter than the unripe one.
Well Jedijedi is the end result
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by chibaby3: 1:48pm On May 02, 2013
the unripe one is better than the ripe
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by Patangela: 10:15am On Oct 23, 2014
I like both tongue
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 23, 2014
Chai, I love plaintains! My Dominican friend cannot eat w/o plaintains. She buys them like no man's business. As for me, I love unriped ones; they are crunchy.
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Plantains You Need To Know by CallMeNJay: 9:07pm On Jan 01, 2017
Nice read

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Robots Spraying Disinfectant In China (Photos) / I Had An Unprotected Sex And I'm Sick / Dead Body On Busy Kano Road Sparks Fear Among Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.