Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:51 AM

Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time (14221 Views)

Which Nigerian Stocks Have You Bought Or Sold? / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Websites for Portfolio Tracking & Monitoring of Nigerian Stocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by honey001(m): 10:32pm On May 04, 2013
Anybody to help on this..... I bought FINBANK share in 2008, my certificate is with me, since then , I have not seen anything...... I only keep on staring at my certificate at home...... How do I get dividend or sell it....... Note, FCMB HAS MERGED WITH FINBANK.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by bigx(m): 10:36pm On May 04, 2013
honey001: How come no one mentioned FINBANK?
Does that still exist?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by dokunbam(m): 10:42pm On May 04, 2013
omonuan: Access bank is a stock to own. It is well managed by a politically connected management team. It has recovered from the crash if you factor in stock splits, dividends. Access is received shareholder approval to distribute Wapic Insurance stock to shareholders as a spin off thereby adding more value.

GTB
FBN
ZENITH
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by Buc(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2013
bigx:

What part is a lie?

And how did you determine cheap?
Naira Value?
Naira value to Earnings per share?
Naira Value to Assets?
Profits to Capital Deployed?

If you do your valuations properly, a 100 naira stock can be cheaper than a 50kobo stock

For the part about saving for the future, sorry to say, you went about it in the wrong way.

Look at this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/1233138/stock-performance-2000-2003-date

that is all real life data.
whatever yardstick you use to measure value there must be a benchmark. But, the Nigerian Stock Exchange is a fraud. There were no value to stocks sold during Soludo's governorship.
20%, 30% or even 50 or 70% loss is/may be understandable, but, 90 to 100% loss is fraud.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by valdubem(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2013
honey001: Anybody to help on this..... I bought FINBANK share in 2008, my certificate is with me, since then , I have not seen anything...... I only keep on staring at my certificate at home...... How do I get dividend or sell it....... Note, FCMB HAS MERGED WITH FINBANK.

FCMB never merged with FINBANK. The former acquired the latter.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by honey001(m): 10:47pm On May 04, 2013
val_dubem:

FCMB never merged with FINBANK. The former acquired the latter.

Yeah. in that case, Wat happened to FINBANK shareholders?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 10:50pm On May 04, 2013
As you are talking about your late mums shares, be careful never to reveal her name or the cert number to people.
Should the smart boys on Lagos Island get it, its gone.

But,
1. Get a letter of admin first. It takes a lot of process, so start now.
2. Reveal only about 30% of the sum total worth of the shares to the govt. With that you pay lesser fee. It is mandatory you pay 10% worth of any property to be transfered from a dead person to any one living.
3. Get a stockbroker, open a CSCS account. As the certs are sent in for verification, all stocks on your mums name will be transfered to the account.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by bigx(m): 10:55pm On May 04, 2013
Buc: whatever yardstick you use to measure value there must be a benchmark. But, the Nigerian Stock Exchange is a fraud. There were no value to stocks sold during Soludo's governorship.
20%, 30% or even 50 or 70% loss is/may be understandable, but, 90 to 100% loss is fraud.

The I never bought any of the AMCON banks so I dont know their story but the losses you mentioned occur regularly even on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by esere826: 10:55pm On May 04, 2013
My understanding of stock market:

value is placed on company's stock/share based on its:
earning to investment ratio, potential for growth, emotional value (goodwill?)

Companies see the stock market as an avenue to raise cheap cash

Dividends are paid to shareholders as a way of profit sharing

stock market offers avenue for liquidity i.e sales of stock to get cash when needed
instead of directly storing your money on items/goods/actualstock

stock market is directly wired to free market theories
i.e demand and supply influencing pricing with little or no regulations

Information is made available to all parties at the same time
in order for folks to act on shares as they deem fit

You might buy shares at a value that could appreciate or depreciate

Depending on the composites of your stock market,
the market could be a reflection of the general economic fortunes of the country

The market is rational, not irrational
i.e you dont wake up one morning and the value of the stock is wiped out for no reason at all

Manipulation of the stock market is forbidden as it
1) erodes buyers confidence
2) makes the market act irationally
Because such manipulation are capable of destabilizing an economy
governments ensure that culprits are brought to book in order to restore confidence

-Boom and burst are sometimes caused by emotional buying and selling i.e stocks are outrageously overvalued or undervalued
-Boom and burst are sometimes cause by economic dynamis eg. if all companies are directly or indirectly wired to crude oil. A rise in crude oild price could lead to a boom (as companies make more profit), while a crash in crude oil price could lead to a burst (as companies make less profit and loose their investments that was built on profitable forecasts)
-Boom and burst could be as a result of structural failures i.e the economy seems to be booming due to an undetected error in the system. This error could be discovered/uncovered thereby leading to a burst

Playing the stock market involves taking risks that you buy cheap and sell with good margins (intelligent kalo, kalo)
You take this risk based on intelligent assement of market dynamics (not expecting someone is playing you like a pack of cards and will go unpunished even when found)

With the Nigerian stock Market, I cld as well buy into a known Ponzi scheme, and hope that I get out in time
I cant see much difference

If you go through my list and weigh/tick it against the Nigerian stock market, you'd notice a crucial defect

And just in case anyone wants to know why Foreigners are buying into our stock market, the reasons are quite explainable

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by valdubem(m): 10:55pm On May 04, 2013
honey001:

Under the acquisition deal, Finbank shareholders will exchange 60 shares for one FCMB shares.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2013
honey001:

it has transmuted to FCMB.
It now bears the name FCMB and trades on same name.

Get a stockbroker, open a CSCS acc with them, submit the cert for verification. At the point of verification, tell your chosen broker to recover all bonuses and dividends if any.
Ok?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by honey001(m): 11:02pm On May 04, 2013
sly-k:

it has transmuted to FCMB.
It now bears the name FCMB and trades on same name.

Get a stockbroker, open a CSCS acc with them, submit the cert for verification. At the point of verification, tell your chosen broker to recover all bonuses and dividends if any.
Ok?

Okay, Thanks a lot..... will try and locate a stock broker where i am ....Please, do u know how muck stockbroker will charge me?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by akintun: 11:47pm On May 04, 2013
you lie. I bought when it was cheap(ecobank) . Back then I had money, but no time to spend it. I wasn't interested in their bonus or dividends, I only invested because its going to take time to get cash back and that would make me not want to depend on it for something that is not very important and planned. But now, lost everything.Not everybody go for profit. I did for safe keeping and there is not safe. Esp NSE.

Nigeria is not d only country where people loss money in d stock xchange. D problem with NSE is d lack of liquidity and good regulation . SEC are just useless . I have not seen or heard dat they are investigating people 4 insider trading.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by icnsystem(m): 11:55pm On May 04, 2013
GTB...GTB...GTB ALL THE WAY...NOTHING COMPARES TO GTB IN NIGERIA STOCK EXCHANGE..
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by Massddweapons: 12:02am On May 05, 2013
bigx:

I bought mine below 5 naira in 2006, during Bull periods everyone just buys without taking valuations into consideration.
Everyone who lost money in the last bull period that I know bought on reccomendation of stock brokers (who are only interested in their commissions) or family and friends.
If you want to invest in the market, take a year or two and study it first, you don't become a professional in a field without a form of apprenticeship (formal or apprenticeship)

Thanks, now i understand it better
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by Ufeolorun(m): 1:31am On May 05, 2013
bigx:

Its not a Nigerian but a Global thing, human emotions cause it and we are in a free economy so Govt has no business (ideally) in the market.
I've spent the last 2 years buying undervalued stocks,
This year the market has started booming again, and that's when everyone wants to put in their money, this is the time wise people pull out their money/reap from their investments because people looking to make quick money would load their life savings into the market, simple economic laws of demand and supply would would shoot prices through the roof (at which point those who were wise to buy in the quiet period sell off speculative holdings), as money is pulled out, prices tumble, late entrants make little or nothing, then blame Government and the Devil
We need to stop wholly attributing the collapse of the Nigerian stock market to the global melt down,one the nigerian market as at then, wasn't integrated to the global system and the only effect of the melt down was that panicky foreign investor were reducing their exposures in far away market to mainly block leakages elsewhere.
Two,the Nigerian market was totally rigged ,insider dealing was rife:people were ripped off .
If you can't vouch for the company don't invest except you are a speculator.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by mandon: 4:46am On May 05, 2013
Being ur mother's next of kin does not make u an automatic owner of her shares. It involves a LEGAL process. This process will depend on whether she left a WILL or not. In any case something has to be done to TRANSMIT those shares to u. I advice u approach any good stockbroking firm .It is their job. U can also call me for futher FREE advise cos i have handled similar case b4. 08035619587. SHALOM!
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 5:26am On May 05, 2013
honey001:

Okay, Thanks a lot..... will try and locate a stock broker where i am ....Please, do u know how muck stockbroker will charge me?

Brokers charge 1k to open an acc in Lagos.
Then the verification is also 1k per company, although you can bargain.
They may charge you extra if they are to help you with unclaimed dividends and unrecieved bonuses.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 5:41am On May 05, 2013
Are you a gambler or investor?
Gamblers buy via what was recmmended. They know nothing about the characteristics of the stock they bought. They buy and hope it will raise. This is where most people who talk of stock fall in.
Investors are knowledgeable. They know how a given stock behaves. They have a reason when they buy. They succeed in making more money than gamblers.
For eg are you buying a stock coz it under priced, their investments are about yielding bumper harvest, are they giving a bonus/dividend, is there a strategic investment made, are their product among FMCG - fast moving consumer goods, etc
If you do not have such a grounded info-you may cry foul.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by honey001(m): 6:20am On May 05, 2013
@Sly-k, Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by ihedioramma: 6:47am On May 05, 2013
WHY IS IT THAT NOBODY IS TALKHNG ABOUT UBA? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS BANK?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by bigx(m): 6:56am On May 05, 2013
ihedioramma: WHY IS IT THAT NOBODY IS TALKHNG ABOUT UBA? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS BANK?

Because there are a 100 better options. Do you've holdings there?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by katme: 6:57am On May 05, 2013
In Nigeria, there are two places, no three, that are always filled with people - Churches, Beer gardens and Banks. And i can tell ya'll high-value commercial transactions take place in these centres. So until the mega churches float an IPO, I will continue to bet on NBL, FBN and GTBank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by ihedioramma: 7:28am On May 05, 2013
bigx:

Because there are a 100 better options. Do you've holdings there?
SOME NOT MUCH AND WHY DO YOU ASK?
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by bigx(m): 7:53am On May 05, 2013
ihedioramma: SOME NOT MUCH AND WHY DO YOU ASK?

You seem worried about it that's why I asked.
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 8:00am On May 05, 2013
I love this topic.
As the hits are growing let me draw our mind to one important thing while dealing with stock - STRATEGY.
Your game plan matters.
Do you want steady yearly income or do you want to grow a given capital over a given period of time?
With qouted companies like UBA, GTB, NB, GUINESS, FBN, NESTLE, et al, you are sure of safty of your capital, bonus/dividend yearly. These stocks are mostly for store of wealth. It is recommended for ageing civil servants and for childrens welfare funds.
If you are looking at growing your funds, you are most likely to be trading with your profits reinvested. Here technical investing is unavoidable.
We shall now look at some factors to master for you to excel with this approach.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by ihedioramma: 8:21am On May 05, 2013
[quote author=sly-k]I love this topic.
As the hits are growing let me draw our mind to one important thing while dealing with stock - STRATEGY.
Your game plan matters.
Do you want steady yearly income or do you want to grow a given capital over a given period of time?
With qouted companies like UBA, GTB, NB, GUINESS, FBN, NESTLE, et al, you are sure of safty of your capital, bonus/dividend yearly.THANK'S AND LETS MAKE IT HELPFUL TO OUR SELF'S ONE LOVE NIGERIAN STOCK INVESTOR'S LONG LIVE .
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by excellence13: 8:37am On May 05, 2013
Sagewood: The bottom line: buy stocks at the IPO or before they go too high. Once they peak, the law of gravity takes over.

Be careful of IPO, its almost always overvalued. Look at all the forecasts made in the prospectus of IPO's since 2007 and see how many of them met their forecasts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by sixteen08(m): 8:40am On May 05, 2013
esere826:

booms and burst exists alright (although their are some school of thought that believes this sholdnt be)
My grouse is with the structural weakness of nigerian stock exchange
the fact that some people are actually allowed to manipulate it
thus leading to information asymetry

this defies the theoretical fundamentals of the stock market
wont you agree?

Give me some examples of those school of thought.

Information assymetry is a bye product of capitalist economy, without it, profit maximisation, outrageous profits,price taking,boom and burst,fraud etc wouldn't occur. Various economic theories and models have attempted to tackle this but am yet to find one that has successfully solved the problem.

The structural weakness of the stock exchange need not be your grouse for now my brother because there is nothing like a perfect stock exchange (I am not in support neither am I tryin to say a weak stock exchange is good). In as much as it exists in a perfectly competitive market there will always be free entry and free exit,price takers etc the best you can do for yourself is to try as much as possible to understand the indepth workings and intricacies of the stock market and you'll be home and dry.

Concerning the fundamentals,stock exchange market is primarily for the trading of stock/shares/equities. it is a financial market and as such is susceptible boom and burst,sharp practises,insider dealing,fraud,scam etc like every other market, all you got to do is shine your eyes shebi we see wetin lehman brothers do,wetin happen to merill lynch and d rest .....no forget say na seemingly structurally perfect stock market dem be oooo .so no forget life is a risk so is evryone n everything in it the best you could do is to mitigate against such risk.

God bless U

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by bigx(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2013
excellence13:

Be careful of IPO, its almost always overvalued. Look at all the forecasts made in the prospectus of IPO's since 2007 and see how many of them met their forecasts.

Exactly, the best place to pick bargains in the stock market is in the secondary market, on the floor, by the time they get to IPO they are usually not sensibly Priced
Re: Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time by slyk2(m): 9:04am On May 05, 2013
This time last year, many people were avoiding the stock market like a plague. Yet trading was going non stop.
May were dumping their shares at any price, but who and who was buying it then?
Here comes technical investment!
1. When the market is bad and many are selling off, the real investors keeps buying.
2. You must understand daily BID and OFFER table. How demand and supply interact.
3. Insider info is a key player here. When you get info from previledged sources about a stock.
4. Understand the oscillatory movements. You buy when its low and sell when it peaks.
5. Never be gready, set out your percentage profit margin and keep to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Invest #800k With Good Monthly Returns? / USI-TECH - Bitcoin Passive Income Opportunity For All / Join The Dubai Based Boldgains International And Earn As A Pioneer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.