Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. (838 Views)

Dealing With Pressures From Single Girls / Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men / Dealing With A Football-Addicted Fiance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by jeffizy(m): 11:32pm On May 04, 2013
[b] Once in everyone's life , we would
have dealt with situations involving
toddlers before. And it's common
knowledge to us that toddlers bring it
on in equal measures. They are sweet
and cuddly now , the next minute,
they are raising our b.p with their lack
of comprehension of how things work
in their new world.
With that picture
above, we can understand the
meaning and trickery of senility. In a
lay man's language, that's the period
an elderly citizen starts to loose his
adulthood.
Going back-mentally , to
being a kid again. The brain stops
assimilation and comprehension of
basic daily skills. An adult that
reaches the senility age often needs
to depend on the people around him/her to survive.
But we are all aware of
the perseverance involved in dealing
with an aged family member.
At least
I can say that much about myself.
My knowledge of how it could be difficult
to care for an adult who once had
control of things around him/her ,
makes me wary not to judge the
Western society that keep their aged ones in a confined home ( looks that
way to me ).
In your opinion, how far
can you go to change a diaper, feed ,bath and clean up after your old
ones?

Bear in mind it's most certain it
is your parents who once carried you
on their backs and made you a useful
person to yourself and the society.
Share you views and experience, if
any.[/b]
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by biolabee(m): 10:23am On May 05, 2013
People viewing and waka passing lol

This is a very sensitive topic which brings an issue that few like to deal with - Impending death
It brings into stark light the realisation that some of our pursuits inlife are futile

Back to topic... for my grand pa before he died, he had a carer who worked part tikme that the fathers got for him
Some of his sons did same cleaning for him too and my old man did same once in a while

I will not be ashamed to do same for my old man when he gets there
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by Nobody: 11:58am On May 05, 2013
biolabee: People viewing and waka passing lol

This is a very sensitive topic which brings an issue that few like to deal with - Impending death
It brings into stark light the realisation that some of our pursuits inlife are futile

Back to topic... for my grand pa before he died, he had a carer who worked part tikme that the fathers got for him
Some of his sons did same cleaning for him too and my old man did same once in a while

I will not be ashamed to do same for my old man when he gets there

I think the way he wrote the write-up is not encouraging. He should put it in full paragraphs...makes it easier to read.

Back to topic, when my grandma was dying, i saw the way my mum took care of her, it wasn't easy for her but she did it out of love for her mother. As far as my parents are concerned, when the time comes, i'll do anything for them that needs to be done. I can't say for other people sha oo, cos the only propelling force to do that kind of thing is deep-rooted love and care.
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by biolabee(m): 12:12pm On May 05, 2013
alutacontinua:

I think the way he wrote the write-up is not encouraging. He should put it in full paragraphs...makes it easier to read.

Back to topic, when my grandma was dying, i saw the way my mum took care of her, it wasn't easy for her but she did it out of love for her mother. As far as my parents are concerned, when the time comes, i'll do anything for them that needs to be done. I can't say for other people sha oo, cos the only propelling force to do that kind of thing is deep-rooted love and care.

Nice post aluta.. The key word being love and care
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by jeffizy(m): 2:40pm On May 05, 2013
@aluta, point noted. Thanks.

I know most people are not ready to face reality that tends towards mortality. Not really a Nigerian thing.
From my own experience, which is completely similar to aluta's, my mum went all the way to cater for her own mother's needs when she got to that stage.
I had my fair share of helping out too.
It was simply amazing to change roles. I remember my grandma feeding me when i was in my K.G days,telling me stories among all other things. The role interchanged and i had to help out in feeding and cleaning her up sometimes.
When she passed on, we all knew she departed feeling loved.
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by greatgod2012(f): 5:24am On May 08, 2013
As a matter of fact, i lived with my maternal grandma in my primary school days, and then, sometimes, when she put up some attitudes, i wondered if she was actually an adult or a toddler, but, all the same, we related quite well, just like two kids living together, i mean we were just like friends, because, she used to talk and behave like my age mate then, and the bond was so close between us, that we could hardly do without each other. As time went on, old-age related sicknesses became more rampant, and my mum moved us to the town, she really took care of her, but, because of the bond btwn me and my grandma, she always wanted me around her, and she even preferred me to other people attending to her, we maintained this until her departure, and i was actually the last person she talked to before she gave up the ghost, and what she said........................"omo a toju e, omo a duro ti e lojo ogbo, ma sukun ti mba ku o, asiko mi ti to, mo nife re, sugbon ko si nkan ti mo le se si ki nma lo" , i was in J. S 2 then, and i understod all what she said, immediately, i rushed to my mum's shop to call her attention to what she told me, and alas!, before we both came to the house, she was gone, i cried alot, but, one thing i was certain of is that, she was adequately tolerated and taken care of, even, when she was behaving like a toddler.

I still miss her till date, but one thing im grateful for is that, i gained alot from her, as an adult full of experiece.

We shall all grow old, but it is what we sow that we shall reap, some people accuse their older people of witchcraft, whereas, it is tolerance that they really need, when it is their time, they also will be accused of the same.
"eni to sin iya e nihoho, to mu omo e dani, nso fun omo e bo se ma sin oun"(anyone that buries his/her mother nakedly, with the knowledge of his child is indirectly telling the child how he too will be buried).
May God help us all.
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by biolabee(m): 7:09am On May 08, 2013
^Amin

And may He grant all our prayers
Re: Dealing With The 'adult Kid'. by jeffizy(m): 1:54am On May 09, 2013
I can relate with greatGod's experience.
I was a grown up when my grand ma departed.

Usually, most uninformed people mistake senility for witch craft. That is so sad!
I remember my grand mum ranting about some imaginary friends of her that needed to eat. Lol.
That's hilarious to me. Because I understand the effects of senility....hallucination, inability to control the bowels, gradual failure of the vital organs, among many other things.

All in all, it was an experience I won't mind going through again when the opportunity comes.

Although, I'm not so sure how i will feel if the person involved is not a relative.

(1) (Reply)

Husband Borrowed Money To Pay Bride Price And Hasn't Paid Back His Wife / Three Unilag Student Died Celebrating Their Engagement / Woman Delivers Baby Without Brain (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.