Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,992 members, 7,956,703 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:09 PM

Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? (1793 Views)

What Has Religion Done For Africa. / Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against / Has Religion Interfered With The Advancment Of Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

I like your “catholic” definition of abortion.

Thanks for showing the problems with christianity.

...excuse you! Even some Atheists are against abortion...

Edit:

The 'Catholic definition' for abortion is now the problem with Nigeria?
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

...excuse you! Even some Atheists are against abortion...

Edit:

The 'Catholic definition' for abortion is now the problem with Nigeria?

Abortion is not just some one-dimensional issue.

Abortion is necessary in some situations- rape and poor health of the mother.
Abortion is a women's rights issue- a woman should have the right to abort (sha with some restrictions)
But is a 16 year old a woman?
But there should also be counselling first to show her the available options (adoption, foster care, giving the baby to her parents or aborting the baby)

Your pal "Italo" reduced abortion to "doctors conniving with mothers to kill babies". Too one-dimensional and silly. This is what destroys legitimate and mature solutions to abortion.

Women that desperate have a legitimate claim to abort but are denied....leaving them to go to balckmarkets and quack doctors
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: This is wonderful...

LB. what you have up there are stuff frowned at by Christianity...In the event that you do not know, fraudulent acts are frowned against by Christianity...

An individual who decides to raise up a 'ponzi scheme' in the name of having a church is already at odds with Christianity; and one who steals in order to give money for offering already goes against the dictates of the gospel of Christ...one cannot rob Peter to pay Paul in this circumstance.

There is a need to draw the line between wrongs committed by individuals and wrongs propagated by Christianity...The OP is clear enough...what is under the 'butchers knife' is religion (Christianity) and not the wrong application of it by adherents.

The logic you have up there is very flawed...anti-abortion stance and anti-condoms do not necessarily lead to overpopulation. This actually is fallacious because there are other ways of birth control which are not at odds with Christianity.

Now to the ish of overpopulation...who told you that Nigeria is overpopulated? What you have up there is just an hypothetical situation...the reality on ground is that Nigeria is yet to attain full employment and when I say full employment, I am not just talking only in terms of our human resources...

Far from it...I am talking about Capital employment...I am talking about full utilization of our natural resources...I am talking about Human Capital Development etc...in order to achieve this state of full employment and economic development, there is a need to ensure that the private sector becomes the engine of growth as against what we have at the moment...there is a need for the economy to be diversified...there is a need for sustainable development amongst other things...

When we have moved from Economic growth to Economic development that is when we can truly say bye bye to poverty...all these are things we can achieve without religion stopping anyone and as a matter of fact these are things encouraged by Christianity...So Lb. when you talk about overpopulation note that Nigeria is far from being overpopulated...

Paul admonishes Christians to be hardworking...accepting ones state in life is far different from encouraging people to remain poor...Christianity is against folks being lazy...if one is hardworking and directs his hard-work in the right path, why will that person complain of food?

There indeed is a need for you to understand what Christianity teaches as against what you want it to teach...

Fraudulent acts are encouraged by christianity....what do you call miracle healings and multiplying fish in a basket?

On a serious note, tithings and offerings are fraudulent by nature. Even the tax exempt nature of churches and the mixture of church and state are illegal but then christianity had been engaged in it from its inception
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: This is wonderful...

LB. what you have up there are stuff frowned at by Christianity...In the event that you do not know, fraudulent acts are frowned against by Christianity...

An individual who decides to raise up a 'ponzi scheme' in the name of having a church is already at odds with Christianity; and one who steals in order to give money for offering already goes against the dictates of the gospel of Christ...one cannot rob Peter to pay Paul in this circumstance.

There is a need to draw the line between wrongs committed by individuals and wrongs propagated by Christianity...The OP is clear enough...what is under the 'butchers knife' is religion (Christianity) and not the wrong application of it by adherents.

The logic you have up there is very flawed...anti-abortion stance and anti-condoms do not necessarily lead to overpopulation. This actually is fallacious because there are other ways of birth control which are not at odds with Christianity.

Now to the ish of overpopulation...who told you that Nigeria is overpopulated? What you have up there is just an hypothetical situation...the reality on ground is that Nigeria is yet to attain full employment and when I say full employment, I am not just talking only in terms of our human resources...

Far from it...I am talking about Capital employment...I am talking about full utilization of our natural resources...I am talking about Human Capital Development etc...in order to achieve this state of full employment and economic development, there is a need to ensure that the private sector becomes the engine of growth as against what we have at the moment...there is a need for the economy to be diversified...there is a need for sustainable development amongst other things...

When we have moved from Economic growth to Economic development that is when we can truly say bye bye to poverty...all these are things we can achieve without religion stopping anyone and as a matter of fact these are things encouraged by Christianity...So Lb. when you talk about overpopulation note that Nigeria is far from being overpopulated...

Paul admonishes Christians to be hardworking...accepting ones state in life is far different from encouraging people to remain poor...Christianity is against folks being lazy...if one is hardworking and directs his hard-work in the right path, why will that person complain of food?

There indeed is a need for you to understand what Christianity teaches as against what you want it to teach...

lack of family planning leads to overpopulation. Simple. It is one of the major causes of overpopulation.

I dont know what you mean by other forms of contraception- the church was preaching against contraceptions period!
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Abortion is not just some one-dimensional issue.

Abortion is necessary in some situations- rape and poor health of the mother.
Abortion is a women's rights issue- a woman should have the right to abort (sha with some restrictions)
But is a 16 year old a woman?
But there should also be counselling first to show her the available options (adoption, foster care, giving the baby to her parents or aborting the baby)

Your pal "Italo" reduced abortion to "doctors conniving with mothers to kill babies". Too one-dimensional and silly. This is what destroys legitimate and mature solutions to abortion.

Women that desperate have a legitimate claim to abort but are denied....leaving them to go to balckmarkets and quack doctors

Why do I think the thread is being derailed? undecided
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 07, 2013
Furthermore, religion is not the only cause of problems in Nigeria. I never said that.

Corruption and tribalism are even bigger problems to an extent. Religion is just another problem. Economics has little to do with the church- so our economic problem is not a direct result of the church.

Sha, boko haram is bad for business wink
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Why do I think the thread is being derailed? undecided

Yo started the derailment, hypocrite smiley
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

lack of family planning leads to overpopulation. Simple. It is one of the major causes of overpopulation.

Lack of family planning [size=15pt]may[/size] lead to overpopulation but Christianity is not against family planning in general but the type that is adopted.

But really, how does your theoretical overpopulation has anything to do with religion being a positive force in Nigeria or not?

Logicboy03:
I dont know what you mean by other forms of contraception- the church was preaching against contraceptions period!

You got to teach me how to perform this trick of turning white into black and make people believe it...where did I mention contraception?
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yo started the derailment, hypocrite smiley

Why not show us where?
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03: Furthermore, religion is not the only cause of problems in Nigeria. I never said that.

Did I say you did? undecided

Logicboy03:
Corruption and tribalism are even bigger problems to an extent.

Agreed...they are problems.

Logicboy03:
Religion is just another problem.

Okay, you have said this before...can you now show us how it has been a negative force in Nigeria?

Logicboy03:
Economics has little to do with the church- so our economic problem is not a direct result of the church.

I am glad you admit this...

Logicboy03:
Sha, boko haram is bad for business wink

Agreed!
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by ijawkid(m): 8:06pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Fraudulent acts are encouraged by christianity....what do you call miracle healings and multiplying fish in a basket?

On a serious note, tithings and offerings are fraudulent by nature. Even the tax exempt nature of churches and the mixture of church and state are illegal but then christianity had been engaged in it from its inception

Lol.......oboy if you really don't know what to say why don't you just shut your trap.......

All your claims are baseless and strikt and has dealt with them.....

When you say miracle healings and multiplying fish in the basket what do you mean??....

And when you talk about tithing which are you refering to??....the one done during the pre-christian or post-christian ERA??.......

I really want to know how any of Jesus' words or teachings have affected naija adversely..........

Are the corrupt officials or individuals in nigeria following or obeying the words of Jesus so that one can say christianity is actually the cause of naija's failure??............

Christianity is not the problem of naija........never will it be......
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 07, 2013
Striky smiley
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by jayriginal: 9:02pm On May 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Nope

The root cause of the problem we have in Nigeria today is Religion . . .

It is said that the cockroach can never be innocent in the gathering of fowls. One shouldnt be so anti religious that one cannot connect the dots.

Is there a problem with religion? Yes! Is religion the root of our problems? No! Is religion one of our problems? Yes.

It wouldnt be fair to blame religion without mentioning its brother (possibly its twin) culture. I think our culture is more of a culprit than religion. Our culture has its good sides no doubt but in the end, our culture in my opinion encourages subservience.
You respect a person because he is older than you not because he is wiser. You cannot correct someone who is older as that is deemed to be an insult. In turn,you oppress those younger than you. You heed not their counsel because culturally (as opposed to actually) age grants you primacy. We even back it up with adages "what the old man will see sitting down, the youth will not see from the top of the palm tree ". I think it was Abimbola Aduuni Adelakun in Under The Brown Rusted Roofs that wrote "what do we do with age if not to cheat each other" (or something like that. I will confirm).

Picture this sort of culture and then the people are presented with religion that demands absolute obeisance from its followers. How can they resist? Subservience is already embedded in them. If we had a more robust culture, one that favoured merit over age, we might naturally question religion. Only a few breakout from this mental cage and are demonized by the rest.

I dont hold the view that our culture is all bad but many parts are obstacles in our progress. We will grow when we learn to question.
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03: Striky smiley

Yes boss...you called?

By the way:

I laugh...culture is now the problem? Oya...let's grab the pitch forks and delete culture from Nigeria... grin grin grin
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Yes boss...you called?

By the way:

I laugh...culture is now the problem? Oya...let's grab the pitch forks and delete culture from Nigeria
... grin grin grin

See how one dimensional thinking destorys christians?

Is that all you could get from Majaze's posts?

Majaze clearly said that some parts of our cultures are bad for the country....he didnt say all of the culture
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

See how one dimensional thinking destorys christians?

Is that all you could get from Majaze's posts?

Majaze clearly said that some parts of our cultures are bad for the country....he didnt say all of the culture

Mazaje ke? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Mazaje ke? shocked shocked shocked

Jayriginal---sorry wink

Dark knight activities are piling on......too much work
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Jayriginal---sorry wink

Dark knight activities are piling on......too much work

Lol!!!
Re: Has Religion Been A Positive Force For Nigeria? by paxonel(m): 8:10am On Oct 23, 2014
the problem is not any religion itself.
the problem is not even atheism.
the problem is the heart of man.
all men are evil in the heart(including all
pastors and imams in Africa )
.religion seek to address the problem of evil in
every mans heart, but men (esp in Africa,
because most Africans are not educated, they
mixed up things with tradition ) totally
misunderstand the religion (the Bible and the
quran ) they profess, that is why religion has
marred us

(1) (2) (Reply)

fghj / ISIS Leader, Baghdadi, Says "Islam Was NEVER A Religion Of Peace. / Counter: Pastor David Ibiyeomie Vs Kemi Olunloyo: Forgiveness Is Unnegotiable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.