Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) (9387 Views)

Bode George's Model Son, Yinka, Shares New Hot Photos / Former Nigerian Model,yinka Olonode (MTN Shy Guy Ad) , Commits Suicide In The US / Omg:so He Finally Killed Himself Just Because Of A Paltry $5m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by TheRealMrStan(m): 10:44pm On May 06, 2013
http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2013/05/yinkaolonodes-suicide-brosso-you.html
YINKA OLONODE’S SUICIDE: “BROS,SO YOU FINALLY KILLED YOURSELF?

According to the report I culled from Linda Ikeji's Blog,
"On Monday April 29th, police said an unidentified man jumped from the rooftop restaurant of The Nines Hotel at 525 S.W. Morrison St, downtown Portland, USA. The man who jumped and died has been identified by the Multnomah County Medical's Examiner's Office as 34 year old Yinka Olonode."

The report continued thus,
"Portland Police Bureau spokesman said Yinka jumped from the hotel building's 15th floor around 6:30pm that Monday evening. He said they do not suspect foul play but that the death is under investigation. If Yinka indeed committed suicide, nobody knows why he did it.
Yinka was a model back in the day and worked briefly for Rhythm FM before relocating to the US in 2003. Continue to see the popular MTN 'Shy Guy' TV commercial he featured in over 11 years ago."

Yinka Olonode was my friend; we became close during my latter years at the University of Lagos where we both resided in the same hall of residence (Jaja hall). We were not room mates.

Immediately after Unilag, we both auditioned and got a part time job at Coolfm, Lagos, sometime in early 2002. We became co-presenters on a youth orientation radio show called ‘Get-a Grip’. The show was sponsored by ARDA (African Radio Drama Association).

Anchoring the radio show was a very fun experience; there were two other ladies on our team - Lolade and Tope. All four of us where a crazy young bunch on radio and the show did quite well, I think.

Yinka and I also auditioned for the MTN 'shy guy' TV commercial, he got the lead role while I got an executive N2,500 worth 'waka pass' role of which I opted out from.

Eventually, NYSC came calling and I landed a bank job from ‘Iseyin’ camp, decided to abandon showbizness and the rest is history. But this article is not about me, it’s about my friend Yinka. I believe Yinka was running a 5 year course or had some issues with some subjects, but we didn’t graduate together.

When I first read the report about Yinka's suicide in the US, the first thought that came to my mind was "Guy, you finally killed yourself." And then it hit me, realized that I’ve just lost a buddy.

Yinka's parents were separated, I once accompanied him to go visit his dad somewhere around Ago palace way. Yinka was a hustler in his own right, and like most of us, he loved being the centre of attraction.

I remember ‘yabbing’ (and biffing) Yinka as soon as his MTN 'shy guy' TVC hit the air waves. Okay, here's what happened; Yinka had dyed his hair golden brown for the TVC role but after shooting, he cut his hair and allowed his natural (black) hair grow. Months later, as soon as his MTN TVC kicked off on television, my guy quickly re-dyed his hair golden brown (for easy recognition) and truly relished the attention. ***Chei, if una see as babes rush this my guy back then eh***

Anyways as I sojourned into my new world as a corper/banker far away from Lagos, I was still in touch with Yinka, by this time he had landed a job as an OAP on Rhythm fm with the alias 'Noble'-and he seemed happy.

The last time I laid eyes on Yinka was sometime mid or early 2003 when my bank transferred me back to Lagos. My office was then at Ozumba Mbadiwe avenue, Victoria Island. I bumped into Yinka on Kofo Abayomi junction-he was riding a nice power bike, wore short dreadlocks and had these huge muscles from God knows where. He parked and we gisted for over an hour - catching up on life and all that.

Sadly, our last discussion was not a pleasant one- he revealed to me that he was leaving Nigeria for good. Yinka lamented to me about how he had no real friends and how people had sort to take advantage of him - at that time his famous MTN ad had stopped running. His lamentations were so deep that I vividly recalled saying to him (jokingly), "Bros, no go use worry kill yourself o, dis one wey u don dey drive heavy-okada for Lagos road." We laughed about it, exchanged pleasantries and parted ways. That was it.

Beyond the alleged suicide story, I don’t know the real details of what exactly happened to Yinka Olonode in the USA but I kind of wish he stayed back in Nigeria. Yinka left the shores of Nigeria in 2003 just when our entertainment industry was taking off – and Yinka LOVED showbiz. I have this belief that if Yinka had ‘persevered’ perhaps he would have attained much bigger success and fame in today’s Nigeria.

A lot of people that 'kissed' Yinka's Ass between 2002 and 2003 are now very big stars today; I can personally name three of them.

In conclusion, I'm a very bad mourner; I prefer celebrating the life and times of my loved ones that have crossed over.

I hope this article is a worthy tribute to my good friend Yinka Olonode. Rest in peace brother, we are all going to ‘sleep that sleep’ sooner or later. My warmest regards to Yinka's family and real friends.

-STANLEY NWABIA

2 Likes

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by azeeza(f): 10:52pm On May 06, 2013
Rip.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by WIZGUY69(m): 11:00pm On May 06, 2013
undecided undecided wetin the guy think before him kill himself nah? See fine boy like these wey kill himself! Chai YINKA R..I..P
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Nobody: 1:29am On May 07, 2013
I pray say no be woman kill am.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by dominique(f): 6:16am On May 07, 2013
I remember him from that mtn ad years ago. Why did he have to kill himself like that naa? He should have stayed back in Nigeria where he has a better support system and chance of making it as a celeb. RIP sha.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Temismith(f): 6:25am On May 07, 2013
To everything there is a time and season! Wheather mistakenly,naturally or purposely, we all are going to leave dis world someday! RIP Yinka. The Lord give ur family nd loved ones d fortitude to bear their loss. Adeiu
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Nobody: 7:41am On May 07, 2013
Dnt know why this dude have to kill himself. A lot of naija guyz and girlz go thru far worse situations everyday in nigeria..
Just enjoy wherever you are now
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Abbey2sam(m): 8:51am On May 07, 2013
R. I. P
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Aksonman: 10:06am On May 07, 2013
@Moderator, why is this post not front page? If Tonto Dikeh's DOG had died,it would have made NL headline. Na wa for una o.

1 Like

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Creamish(f): 11:48am On May 07, 2013
God rest his soul . . . watever d reason, we r not in d position to judge.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by richeyy(m): 11:50am On May 07, 2013
Found this link: http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/7399331 Yinka even commented on it.

RIP Yinka!
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by specialguest(f): 3:46pm On May 07, 2013
I find it kind of hard saying 'RIP' to someone who commits suicide... The only thing i can say is 'why' would anyone want to take his own life? It cant be that bad, there's so much to look forward to in life. No matter the circumstance, i would rather be 6 feet above the ground than below it.

1 Like

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 07, 2013
RIP
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by cutierashy(f): 6:03pm On May 07, 2013
Rip
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by babymama3: 6:46pm On May 07, 2013
specialguest: I find it kind of hard saying 'RIP' to someone who commits suicide... The only thing i can say is 'why' would anyone want to take his own life? It cant be that bad, there's so much to look forward to in life. No matter the circumstance, i would rather be 6 feet above the ground than below it.

People kill themselves not because they want to do so but because of an illness called depression so condemning this young man if indeed he committed suicide is wrong
Let this story make you to watch out for signs of depression on loved ones and point them to help
Sometimes that help can come from a psychiatrist
We don't know what was going on in his head
We don't know the deep despair he was in
The saddest thing in this story should be that a young man in his prime was so tortured mentally and he received no help or maybe even had no one to trust or turn to and suicide became his only option.
may his soul RIP and may his parents and relatives be comforted.

I have been in a situation where someone cried out for help with dark poems and even talked about suicidal tendencies ,I wrote a word of encouragement but withheld myself from reaching out even though my first instinct was to give my phone number.My common sense kicked in and I didn't want to appear intrusive.
He is now dead .

3 Likes

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by babymama3: 6:48pm On May 07, 2013
Double
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by babymama3: 6:48pm On May 07, 2013
For those condemning him,will you also say RIP to someone who died from complications of diseases that he contributed to their risk factors ?
Think about it.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by debosky(m): 6:58pm On May 07, 2013
Sad. . . .I had some interaction with him back in the day. Depression needs to get higher profile in Nigerian communities - it's a real killer.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Mcleo007(m): 11:00pm On May 07, 2013
specialguest: I find it kind of hard saying 'RIP' to someone who commits suicide... The only thing i can say is 'why' would anyone want to take his own life? It cant be that bad, there's so much to look forward to in life. No matter the circumstance, i would rather be 6 feet above the ground than below it.

You should have no problem 'RIPing' someone who took his own life. He sought for peace and has found it. Life is a simple constant! All things are intertwined and cyclic. We all we die one way or the other.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by neversaynever(m): 1:33am On May 08, 2013
Strangely, nobody has said anything about the witch in his village.
#naija mentality tins
Abi eye don dey open ni?

@ topic; very strange occurence. Depression, disease, heartbreak...so many things cause this things. People should always talk to others/be open to being talked to. Experts should step up too. RIP though
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by DollyParton1(f): 1:52pm On May 08, 2013
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 08, 2013
It will be hypocrisy for me to say RIP this dead guy, cos in truth, suicide is never an option. Every human is tempted within his capacity, which actually makes someone better after the difficulties. In the words of Tupac's mother: "If you can make it through the night, there is a brighter day" " You got to stay positive".

Suicide is anti-evolution of Soul, so this dead guy wont have my RIP. I will save my RIP for a worthy soul.

1 Like

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by funnyx(m): 4:21pm On May 08, 2013
baby_mama:

People kill themselves not because they want to do so but because of an illness called depression so condemning this young man if indeed he committed suicide is wrong
Let this story make you to watch out for signs of depression on loved ones and point them to help
Sometimes that help can come from a psychiatrist
We don't know what was going on in his head
We don't know the deep despair he was in
The saddest thing in this story should be that a young man in his prime was so tortured mentally and he received no help or maybe even had no one to trust or turn to and suicide became his only option.
may his soul RIP and may his parents and relatives be comforted.

I have been in a situation where someone cried out for help with dark poems and even talked about suicidal tendencies ,I wrote a word of encouragement but withheld myself from reaching out even though my first instinct was to give my phone number.My common sense kicked in and I didn't want to appear intrusive.
He is now dead .

Thank you for enlightening some people here about the dangers of depression.
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by pappykay360: 9:44pm On May 08, 2013
Oga Ooo.... Life is mysterious!
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by dayokanu(m): 3:17am On May 09, 2013
RIP
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by slimyem: 4:11am On May 09, 2013
What a waste! undecided
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by CelebShrink: 1:56pm On May 09, 2013
Great day to all my fellow Nigerians home and abroad,

It is interesting to see all the comments on this particular topic. Some think suicide isn't meant for black man. Gone all those days when we were wired to think that way. The truth now is, "when the center can no long hold"............things will fall apart (God bless the soul of Prof. Chinua Achebe)

The disorder that is highly linked to suicide is DEPRESSION, though several other diseases/disorders are also linked, such as any terminal illnesses, death of a loved one etc. Researches have also shown that people that migrate to other places (whether other cities or countries), are more prone to psychological and mental health related disorders. This is as a result of new culture, new environment, finding acceptability etc.

In the case of this young man, Yinka Olonode, please let us be mindful of the way we jump into conclusion. Suicide can happen to anyone. From his friend's write up, Yinka was from a broken home. This is a risk factor that can also predispose anyone to having psychological problems.

My fellow Nigerians, let us break the silence on this silent killer called DEPRESSION. Encourage friends and family members to SPEAKOUT, for early detection leads to better outcome. If WE don't take of ourselves, WHO WILL.

There is going to be a rally on SPEAKOUT INITIATIVE on Tuesday, 14th May 2013 at the UNILAG CAMPUS. It promises to be educative, entertaining and informative. Support this initiative as a VOLUNTEER. Thank you

Kindly click on these links to read more on DEPRESSION and SUICIDE.

http://maymunahkadiri.com/depression-a-global-crisis/

http://maymunahkadiri.com/sadly-suicide-among-the-youth-is-increasing-in-nigeria-why/
Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by deidre(f): 8:43pm On May 09, 2013
@ billyonaire, Oh please, aren't you just feeling all high and mighty, sitting on a paper throne, pointing out who's worthy and who's not. No one needs your RIP, it's of no consequence. Please get off your high horse. Is your soul even worthy?

1 Like

Re: Yinka Olonode's Suicide: Bros,so U Finally Killed Urself? (tribute) by Nobody: 11:26am On May 26, 2013
But u are going to die one day too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meet Ibife Alufohai, Behind The Miss Polo International Pageant / Who Did We Offend In This Country? See What Naira Marley Has Caused Among Youth / BTW Two Obama Daughters..which One Is More Sexy Than(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.