Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria (9780 Views)

'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors / FG Not Serious About Fighting Ebola –doctors, Nurses / Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by masterdre: 10:34am On May 07, 2013
Women in rural areas often have their babies with the light of a dim torch light, increasing the chances of maternal and infant deaths, as the rural areas lack electricity to aid the safe delivery of a child and protect the life of the mother.

Deborah Ezra, a member of the Nigeria Nurses and Midwives, NANNM, lamented the poor situation under which the women in rural areas have their newborns and the dire conditions under which the midwives work.

At the celebration of the International Midwives Day on Monday at the Rockview Royal Hotel in Wuse 2, Abuja, Ms. Ezra said on too many occasions she handled deliveries using the torch light of a mobile phone.

READ DETAILS AT: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/133026-shocking-nurses-use-mobile-phone-torchlights-for-delivering-babies-in-nigeria.html
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by dominique(f): 12:31pm On May 07, 2013
Unbelievable shocked
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Lagusta(m): 12:51pm On May 07, 2013
Shebi dat one na torchlight......

There are some hospitals that use KEROSENE LANTERN to even perform cesearean section.... No be today jare......

Instead of the government to spend on health, education, etc; some governors are busy flying to london for a minor head cut just because he refused to pay salaries to doctors...

NAIJA I HAIL THEE!!! *sipping garri and kuli, watching my black and white TV* embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 08, 2013
Thank you Nokia
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 08, 2013
NGO's na goldmine
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by ebamma(m): 2:40pm On May 08, 2013
.Their own better sef,me na candle light them use born me
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by abatajjvii: 2:41pm On May 08, 2013
i support chinko for life
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by BashMe1(m): 2:42pm On May 08, 2013
[size=20pt]Thanks also to Tecno Fones... their torch-light na like bulb[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by TreasuredGlory: 2:42pm On May 08, 2013
Oga o.
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by AK481(m): 2:42pm On May 08, 2013
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by supaeagles(m): 2:43pm On May 08, 2013
Kudos to the dedication, resilience, ingenuity and resourcefulness of our rural area medical staff. They are our nation's true heroes / heroines.
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by miteolu(m): 2:45pm On May 08, 2013
I heard similar thing in one General Hospital in Nigeria.
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 08, 2013
[b]Until nigerians realize that they are the ones making life hard for themselves, nothing will change.
abeg who are the Nepa officials not doing their job?
Who are the police officers?
Who are the vice chancellors that are not maintaining institutions well?
Who are the civil servants?
[size=16pt]Who are those in ministry of Health Embezzling money that's mean't to maintain hospitals?[/size]

Are they politicians? Guys they are nigerians like you displaying laxities in their duties. I can tell that almost all nigerians take their duties both at work and in the society at large with levity.
What they fail to always realize is that this laxity of theirs is making a fellow nigerian to suffer and their suffering is also as a result of another nigerian failing in his duty.

To top it all, they forget leaders/politicians are chosen out of them; thereby the leaders represent what they are. I can tell most nigerians will also refuse to do their job if at all they also become a leader. Until we realize its our society who's got problem nothing will change, we will only go on in the same cycle.

[size=16pt]When Jonathan was shoeless, I can bet my life he was blaming government for everything, now that he is in power, what has he done differently? Nigerians need to use their thinking faculties and see the real problem! Start changing yourselves, your home, your society orelse things will continue to get worse(as we've been having worse leaders as each election passes). Only a dumb fellow continue to use an approach for a long time without getting a positive result and still continues in that path.[/size] I think I've said enough[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by bannykel: 2:47pm On May 08, 2013
cryso sad dat stil dey hapun 4 naija, I no knw wetin all dis gov dey do, buyin jet, cars, etc. Na only God go save us, no wonder na naija dey 4 no 2 for country wey get AIDS pass
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 08, 2013
When you tell a lady, 'use what you have to get what you want' they will not understand.

Our mothers are giving us a practical example .

There's no point allowing a mother to die during childbirth because of nepa!

African mothers are awesome .
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Sike(m): 2:50pm On May 08, 2013
Nkan be!!!
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Krasid(m): 2:50pm On May 08, 2013
Government why?
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by DJDOLA(m): 2:51pm On May 08, 2013
I don't think anything can amazed me here in niger anymore....everyday its about differnt story...may God help us
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by dridowu: 2:51pm On May 08, 2013
Kudos to Nigeria Health Sector, out of nothing dy bring out something positive from it.
Shame to all the government (local,state and federal)
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by ichommy(m): 2:52pm On May 08, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by BlackPeni5: 2:53pm On May 08, 2013
The New Nokia ad: Buy a Nokia torchlight phone today and deliver a baby in Nigeria grin
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 08, 2013
That same Touchlight phones are used by Eletricians, Mechanics, welders, etc. So kudos to Nokia n chinoko phones.

As for the topic I will say Government is not working. How can a maternity clinic lack the basic power supply? Only time n circumstance like the one we read can tell.
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by yalwaysme1: 2:55pm On May 08, 2013
And so wht my mummy delivery me without midwive
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by supaeagles(m): 3:00pm On May 08, 2013
y.alwaysme:
And so wht my mummy delivery me without midwive
That may have affected your grammar grin
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 08, 2013
God bless our mothers. they r trying
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by raqueal(f): 3:09pm On May 08, 2013
This is what happens when the ogas at the top embezzle and syphon funds meant for the development of the health care sector coupled with the menace of PHCN. The nurses and midwives are left to handle the situation as it is. God bless these nurses who don't give up or grow weary despite the frustrations on all sides.

To these ogas at the top, your time will come and even daylight with uninterrupted electricity would not be able to save you.

1 Like

Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by kekakuz(m): 3:19pm On May 08, 2013
Thank God for Τ̲̅ђέ innovation
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by allotrops: 3:24pm On May 08, 2013
[quote author=masterdre]Women in rural areas often have their babies with the light of a dim torch light, increasing the chances of maternal and infant deaths, as the rural areas lack electricity to aid the safe delivery of a child and protect the life of the mother......

To give us our basic AMINITIES na wahala,waiting God go jugde plenty,i no sure e go finish d case of a politican under a day sad,Please midwives keep it up,even though na candle una use deliver d baby,na God go reward una,kudos
Re: Nurses Use Mobile Phone Torchlights To Deliver Babies In Nigeria by JoannaSedley(f): 3:26pm On May 08, 2013
MIDWIVES ANTHEM
Safe birth for mothers, father's and all.
Midwives are poised now for this clarion call.
Watching and waiting for changes galore
We must be with those who accept such change.
These are our feelings, these are our hope.
Being responsive to our client
need.
Nightingale did it with lantern and you're doing it with torchlight. So ironical.
Irrespective of the dearth of structures and instruments in Nigerian health facilities, there is still this inborn zeal to save life by improvising and pure ingenuity.
Kudos to the midwives, nurses, doctors, pharmacist etc out there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Key Facts About Yellow Fever / Hospitals’ Shutdown: Strike Threat Ridiculous - Ngige / Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.