Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex (937 Views)

See What A Girl Posted About Sex, Spirituality & Marriage On Facebook / 5 Myths About Sex You Should Stop Believing / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 07, 2013
Sex education doesn't need to be a single tell-all discussion. Follow your child's cues about what he or she needs to know — and when.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Sex education often begins as simple anatomy lessons during the toddler years. But during the school-age years, your child might start asking specific questions about sex. Not sure what to say? Consider this guide to discussing sex with your school-age child.

Expect detailed questions

Toddlers and preschoolers are often satisfied with vague answers to questions about where babies come from. But school-age children tend to ask more-specific questions about the connection between sexuality and making babies. As your child's questions about sex become more complex — and perhaps more embarrassing — he or she may turn to friends or other sources for information.

When your school-age child inquires about sex, ask what he or she already knows. Correct any misconceptions, and then offer enough details to answer the specific questions. Don't laugh at your child's questions or use nicknames for your child's sexual anatomy, which may send the signal that these body parts shouldn't be discussed.

Consider these examples:

-What's an erection? You might say, "A boy's penis is usually soft. But sometimes it gets hard and stands away from the body. This is called an erection." Describe how an erection can happen while a boy is sleeping or when his penis is touched. This might also be the time to describe a wet dream.

-What's a period? You might say, "A period means that a girl's body is mature enough to become pregnant." Explain how menstruation is an important part of the reproductive cycle. You might offer details on bleeding and feminine hygiene products.

-How do people have intimacy? If your child wonders about the mechanics of sex, be honest. You might say, "The man puts his penis inside the woman's vagina." Consider using a book with illustrations or diagrams to help your child understand.

-Can two girls have sex? Or two boys? It might be enough to say, "Yes. There are many types of intimate relationships." If your child wants to know more, you might take the opportunity to talk about respect for others or to share your personal thoughts about homosexuality.

-What's masturbation? You might say, "Masturbation is when a boy rubs his penis or a girl rubs her vaginal area." Remind your child that masturbation is a normal — but private — activity.

Even if you're uncomfortable, forge ahead. Remember, you're setting the stage for open, honest discussions in the years to come. Consider who's best to educate your child — you or the TV, the Internet or your child's friends?

Preteen angst

Between ages 8 and 12, children often worry whether they're "normal" — particularly when it comes to penis size and breast size. Explain what happens during puberty for both boys and girls. Offer reassurance that children of the same age mature at different rates. Puberty might begin years earlier — or later — for some children, but eventually everyone catches up. You might want to share experiences from your own development, particularly if you once had the same concerns that your child has now.

Responsibilities and consequences

Talk to your child about the emotional and physical consequences of becoming sexually active, such as pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections and a range of feelings. Discussing these issues now can help your child avoid feeling pressured to become sexually active before he or she is ready. While you're telling your child about the dangers of sex, don't be afraid to mention the joys, too. Let your child know that sex can be beautiful in a loving, committed relationship.

Everyday moments are key

Use everyday opportunities to discuss sex. Teachable moments are everywhere. If there's a pregnancy in the family, talk about how a baby develops inside a woman's body. If you see a commercial for a feminine hygiene product, use it as a springboard to talk about periods. If a couple on a TV show begin dating, talk about relationships and falling in love.

Take your role in sex education seriously. Encourage your child to take care of his or her body, develop a healthy sense of self-respect, and seek information from trusted sources. Your thoughtful approach to sex education can help your child develop a lifetime of healthy sexuality.

SOURCE

3 Likes

Re: Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex by Nobody: 8:50am On May 08, 2013
I so agree! I 2 to daughters and sex as well as love was always discussed in age appropriate ways. I took each day as an opportunity to educate in a responsible way. No subjects are taboo because I want them to have the true info on sex and love. This allowed me to end up with two well behaved, knowledgeable, confident girls that don't give into peer pressure and know their self worth. I have explained the beauty as well as consequences of intercourse. Now they have the brains to know between love/lust and can have the personal strength to withstand the advances of the opposite sex and save themselves for the right man. But in the end all we can do is be open, honest teachers that promote healthy self esteem and self respect for body and spirit... and leave the rest to God. We can teach and guide but can't control another person. Parents even if its hard for you to talk about dont give up with practice it becomes easier. Don't we want our children to feel free and unafraid to approach us in all things? Good luck to everyone raising children in this hypersexualized world. smiley
Re: Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex by Mynd44: 7:31am On May 11, 2013
Truth
Re: Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex by Princeparix(m): 8:14am On May 11, 2013
i think so
Re: Sex Education: Talking To Your School-age Child About Sex by deasy(m): 9:14pm On May 11, 2013
Please,i love this post on SEX EDUCATION...Please can i put this on my blog for PARENTS to see?

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Point Of Marriage If Women Would Always Love Their Kids More Than / Never Say "Rape" In Presence Of A Lady / Nice Park Pictures, For Your Eyez Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.