Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,215 members, 7,957,484 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:30 PM

Benitez Defends David Luiz - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Benitez Defends David Luiz (680 Views)

Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance / Osita Offor Defends Wrestling Title Against Bobby Lashley In Lagos / Photo: David Luiz And His Girlfriend Sara Madeira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benitez Defends David Luiz by mrofficial2(m): 6:33am On May 08, 2013
Chelsea interim boss Rafael Benitez has launched a vigorous defence of David Luiz after Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson accused the Brazilian of acting like a 'dying swan'.

Benitez will be sad to leave ChelseaPolice to investigate Benayoun abuseBenayoun suffers Twitter abuseHazard back for ChelseaBenitez expects Mourinho to returnSchurrle strongly linked with Chelsea Luiz has established himself as a key player in the Chelsea UEFA Champions League-chasing side which secured a 1-0 Premier League win at Old Trafford, but has been criticised for his role in the dismissal of his Brazil team-mate Rafael.

After being kicked by Rafael, Luiz was seen on the ground and smiling - his defence was that his smile was as a result of supporters' taunts over his likeness to The Simpsons character Sideshow Bob, who also has a mop of curly brown hair.

Luiz will not face any action from the Football Association over the incident.

Asked if he was aware who Sideshow Bob is, Benitez said: "I'm aware David Luiz is one of the best players in the Premier League, by miles - miles away from a lot of players. He's one of the best, without doubt.

"If we're talking about that, we're not talking about Chelsea beating United, doing much better in three games - two in Old Trafford.

"We did really well. The substitution of Fernando (Torres) was an offensive player on the pitch.

"Mind games. Nobody was talking about mind games after the game. Then we start talking about this.

"I don't agree. David Luiz was laughing because the fans were abusing him.

"After was the red card (for Rafael). It was very clear, the timing.

"If we continue talking about this, instead of trying to eradicate the bad tackles that you can see every week, I think we're giving importance to something that is not as important.

"I don't like this situation, but we are talking about one of the best players in the Premier League."

The suggestion was Benitez believes Ferguson was trying to cover up for his team's failings in the contest.

Benitez added: "I prefer to talk about football, tactics, all the other things. Not about that."

A television reporter also showed Benitez a picture of Sideshow Bob, but he refused to allow Luiz to be mocked.

The Spaniard said: "My job is to try to point out one of the best players in the Premier League. We have to respect him."

It is not the first time Luiz has attracted criticism.

In recent months some robust challenges and flaying limbs, particularly elbows, have made contact with players.

Benitez believes it is more important to crack down on dangerous tackles.

He said: "One thing is to protect (the ball), the other to hit someone with the elbow. He's trying to protect.

"There are a lot of tackles every single game that can break ankles and legs and nothing happens.

"But when you try to protect the ball or smile, it's the end of the world. There are more serious problems than just a player laughing."

Benitez also feels his players did not get the credit they deserved from winning at Old Trafford, as the result was overshadowed by Ferguson's reaction to Rafael's dismissal and subsequent comments on Luiz.

It was the third time Chelsea and United have met since Benitez's appointment and Ferguson's men are still to taste victory.

"After winning a massive game for us, to get three points, to be in very good position, as a manager I don't need to waste too much time talking about what someone said or what they did," Benitez said.

"We have played three games against United and nobody gave credit to the team for the great job we did.

"For me the players did really well, fantastic job, great game. After 65 games still competing, running a lot and playing well. That's the priority for me. For us getting three points was the most important thing."

Chelsea also beat United in a FA Cup quarter-final replay.

After the original tie at Old Trafford, Benitez complained Ferguson had not shaken his hand, but the pair did acknowledge one another at the replay in London.

"He (Ferguson) came to Stamford Bridge and I met him and wished him a safe journey," Benitez said.

"I don't think it's an issue. The issue for me was that he didn't shake hands before the first game but nobody said that."

Source: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/english-premier-league/news/1150706/Benitez-quick-to-defend-Luiz

(1) (Reply)

Is Sir Alex Ferguson The Greatest Manager In Footballing History? / Ministry, NFF Move To Vet Keshi’s List / Osaze And Martins To Return To The Super Eagles- NFF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.