Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,184 members, 7,957,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:18 PM

Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report (2504 Views)

Malcolm X: Fifty Six Years Later / Malcom X's Grandson Turns From Sunni To Shia Muslim / Interview With Al Haj Shabaaz (grandson Of Malcolm X) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 10:32am On May 10, 2013

Malcolm-Latif Shabazz, grandson of the late Malcolm X was killed in Mexico on Thursday, the Amsterdam news reports, with confirmations from the U.S. Embassy.

"I'm confirming, per US Embassy, on behalf of the family, the tragic death of Malcolm Shabazz, grandson of Malcolm X," tweeted Terrie M. Williams, a close friend of the Shabazz family. 

Conflicting reports cite the cause of his death from either injuries sustained after he was thrown off a building or gunshot wounds while being robbed in Tijuana.

The 29-year-old was a convert of Shia Islam and was arrested earlier this year in Iran.

According to Facebook friend Zeynab Ladak, Shabazz expressed interest in traveling to Qom, a city southwest of Tehran, to study at a hawza (Islamic seminary).
In March, Shabazz released a statement expressing concerns of FBI harrassment due to his travels in the Middle East.

"In the beginning of 2012 I had been informed that I was under investigation by the FBI's Counter Terrorism Task Force Unit," read the statement.

"The family has sacrificed blood and endured much pain. However, the name, the legacy, the lineage, and the memory lives on and continues to inspire. May he and his family be in peace," posted American playwright Wajahat Ali, known for his work on the first American Muslim play, The Domestic Crusaders.

Malcolm Shabazz is survived by two daughters,

http://www.illumemagazine.com/zine/articleDetail.php?Malcolm-X-rsquo-s-Grandson-Malcolm-Latif-Shabazz-Killed-in-Mexico-Report-14272#/0
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 10:33am On May 10, 2013
"Malcom X's Grandson Turns From Sunni To Shia Muslim"

https://www.nairaland.com/1165217/malcom-xs-grandson-turns-sunni
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by ZhulFiqar2: 10:54am On May 10, 2013
I'm not surprised this gentleman is killed.

Edoardo Agnelli was killed after he became (Shia) Muslim too.

"Edoardo Agnelli: Son of Billionaire Italian Killed For Embracing Islam"

https://www.nairaland.com/850035/edoardo-agnelli-son-billionaire-italian
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by Rafidi: 5:11pm On May 10, 2013
Shame on nairaland and its Islamophobia.

If it was an iranian or even a saudi convert to christianity that is shot dead,the thread would be on the front page and the Islam/Muslim bashing would have commenced.here we have a convert to Islam first apprehended and questioned by the FBI for being a Muslim and travelling to Iran, and now shot.besides,this is the grandson of Malcom X,the pride of America's Black race.obviously islamophobia is good business to attract traffic to nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 7:13pm On May 10, 2013
In memory of Malcom Latif:

"Interview With Al Haj Shabaaz (grandson Of Malcolm X) "

https://www.nairaland.com/857188/interview-al-haj-shabaaz-grandson
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by ParisLove2(f): 7:16pm On May 10, 2013
Rafidi :
Shame on nairaland and its Islamophobia.

If it was an iranian or even a saudi convert to christianity that is shot dead,the thread would be on the front page and the Islam/Muslim bashing would have commenced.here we have a convert to Islam first apprehended and questioned by the FBI for being a Muslim and travelling to Iran, and now shot.besides,this is the grandson of Malcom X,the pride of America's Black race.obviously islamophobia is good business to attract traffic to nairaland.

What is islamophobia? Care to explain that here?

https://www.nairaland.com/1285320/seun-islamphobe
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by ParisLove2(f): 7:22pm On May 10, 2013
^ Besides it never occurred to you that this section is lifeless most of the times thanks to the tyrannical dictatorship of mac of which you shias have been victim of. Even sunni muslims are yet to comment. Maybe they suffer from shiaphobia?

The least you and your whining cohorts could do is lobby the thread for front page so that Christianity or whoever it is that you want bashed, bashed.

rip to the man. Whoever he is
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 10:45pm On May 10, 2013
Paris-Love:
^ Besides it never occurred to you that this section is lifeless most of the times thanks to the tyrannical dictatorship of mac of which you shias have been victim of. Even sunni muslims are yet to comment. Maybe they suffer from shiaphobia?

The least you and your whining cohorts could do is lobby the thread for front page so that Christianity or whoever it is that you want bashed, bashed.

rip to the man. Whoever he is

Do you really believe the US or the CIA represent christianity and christians? Regardless of what religion the young man killed followed-be it buddhism,judaism or christianity itself-if he posed a threat or opposition to the interests of the US,the CIA or mossad won't think twice before taking action against him.

Truth be told though,nairaland thrives on islamophobia regardless whether or not it is a policy by its administration;the members who are by and large ignorant and hateful,are islamophobes.its not about christian bashing at all.

I'd have expected you to show sympathy as a human being to the deceased first instead of opening argument.
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by tbaba1234: 10:54pm On May 10, 2013
Saw this on facebook earlier....Sad

Surely to Allah we belong, and to Him we shall return!
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 11, 2013
wow..
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 11, 2013
Conflicting reports cite the cause of his death from either injuries sustained after he was thrown off a building or gunshot wounds while being robbed in Tijuana.

The 29-year-old was a convert of Shia Islam and was arrested earlier this year in Iran.

According to Facebook friend Zeynab Ladak, Shabazz expressed interest in traveling to Qom, a city southwest of Tehran, to study at a hawza (Islamic seminary).
In March, Shabazz released a statement expressing concerns of FBI harrassment due to his travels in the Middle East.

"In the beginning of 2012 I had been informed that I was under investigation by the FBI's Counter Terrorism Task Force Unit," read the statement.

now while the bold makes me cringe...i more so believe he was killed by Mexicans who either were racist or out to rob him. It doesn't match the FBI's MO. The See Eye Aye maybe...but not the FBI.
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by maclatunji: 8:25am On May 12, 2013
tbaba1234: Saw this on facebook earlier....Sad

Exactly.
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by vedaxcool(m): 12:12pm On May 12, 2013
tbaba1234: Saw this on facebook earlier....Sad

Really sad, . . . The murder seem so much as being convenient . . . Anyway may Allah expose his killers and may they face justice for their crimes. Amin
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 11:21pm On May 12, 2013
The Tragedy of the Malcolm X Family: Grandson Malcolm Shabazz Killed in Mexico

by Herb BoydMay 10, 2013 1:38 pm EDT

The death of the civil rights leader’s grandson marks the third generation in which the family has lost a member violently. Journalist and activist Herb Boyd, who first met Malcolm X in 1958, on the latest tragedy.

Since the first reports that Malcolm Shabazz had been killed, there has been a series of confusing accounts, and there are sure to be more as his death is investigated.

Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of political activist Malcolm X, leaves Family Court in Yonkers, N.Y., after a detention hearing on July 29, 1999. (Stephen Chernin/AP)

The latest reports from Talking Points Memo confirms the State Department’s report that a U.S. citizen was killed in Mexico on Thursday.  While the State Department did not disclose the victim’s name, noted activist Terrie Williams, a close associate of the Shabazz family, told the Amsterdam News it was Shabazz who was killed.

According to the account on TPM from Juan Ruiz, a member of Rumec, a labor organization, Shabazz “was murdered. He was in Mexico City and I believe they attempted to rob him and he didn’t allow it, so they beat him to death and he died on his way to the hospital,” said Ruiz. “This is all I can confirm, everything else is under investigation for the meantime.”

Ruiz’s account was secondhand from his associate Miguel Suarez who was actually traveling with Shabazz and provided the information to Ruiz.

With the confirmation of Malcolm Lateef Shabazz’s death, it marks the third generation in which the family has lost a member violently. Malcolm X’s father, Earl Little, was killed by the Black Legion or the Ku Klux Klan in 1931. As Malcolm X recalled in his autobiography, “Negroes in Lansing have always whispered that he was attacked, and then laid across some tracks for a streetcar to run over him. His body was cut almost in half.”

He also related that three of his father’s brothers were also killed by white men in Georgia, which prompted his father to leave the state.

Malcolm’s body was riddled with bullets by assassins on February 21, 1965, as he prepared to address an audience at the Audubon Ballroom in Washington Heights.

Along with the tragic deaths in the family’s patrilineal line, Betty Shabazz was killed in 1997 by a fire in which her grandson, Malcolm Shabazz, was accused and convicted of setting.

The death of Shabazz at 28 makes him the youngest in the family to have his life end so violently. His grandfather was 39, still in the prime of his life, and on the road to even greater success after meaningful contacts with world leaders in Africa and the Middle East.

As the son of Qubilah Shabazz, Malcolm Shabazz was apparently in the process of putting his life on a positive and productive path, attending the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and writing his memoirs. But now the family has to deal with yet another devastating setback.

During a 2012 interview with Aliya King for NewsOne.com, Malcolm agreed to be photographed to show his resemblance to his grandfather, including posing with a hat, ring, and rifle, staring from a window.

He had very little to say, but did add these comments. “I am [my grandfather’s] first male heir, his first grandson. [I’ve read and been told that] he always wanted a son. No boys in the Shabazz family until me. I used to think [Malcolm X] was my father. My mother told me that. I would ask and she would show me pictures of her father and tell me it was my father. I can’t talk to her about him. Nothing in-depth. She acts like she doesn’t know about him. She was there. She was four years old and sitting right there [when he was killed]. I don’t think she’s ever recovered from that.”

In 2010, Malcolm Shabazz made the hajj to Mecca and last year it was erroneously reported that he had been arrested while attempting to travel to Iran. He had been arrested, the family said, but it had nothing at all to do with Iran.

But Shabazz offers a different take on the situation, and in a long email circulated by Cynthia McKinney from her Facebook page, he speaks at length about his developing relationship with Iran, the persistent harassment from law enforcement agencies, and other political matters.

“I have lived & studied in Damascus, Syria, for over a year, and now the U.S. is instigating conflict within the very same region,” Shabazz wrote. “I went on ex-congresswoman/former presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney's delegation along with Dr. Randy Short to Libya, and met with Leader Muammar Gadhafi one week prior to N.A.T.O. intervention and I was most recently getting ready to travel to Tehran, Iran to be a participant of the International Fajr Film Festival and give a lecture addressing the issues of Hollywood and violence:  Modern Violence & Terrorism, provoking clashes between religions & populations. I was picked up by authorities after I filed for a visa to Iran, and 2 days prior to my departure.”

The investigation of his death continues as calls have been made to the consulate general’s office in Tijuana, Mexico, as well as an email seeking more information about his death.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/10/the-tragedy-of-the-malcolm-x-family-grandson-malcolm-shabazz-killed-in-mexico.html
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by DevotedOne(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2013
In The Name of The One and Only God, The Eternal, The Righteous, The Owner Of Sovereignty, The Lord Of Majesty And Bounty, The Self-Sufficient, The Supreme, The Self-Subsisting In Whom All Subsist. The Peace Be Upon You, Everyone.

Remembering young Malcolm – with love

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Malcolm X’s Grandson Malcolm-latif Shabazz Killed In Mexico: Report by LagosShia: 10:06am On Aug 11, 2013
Petitioning Secretary of State... John Kerry

Secretary of State... John Kerry: Assassination investigation for Malcolm Hajj Shabazz

Petition by

Rozlyn Cross-Ratliff

Auburn, WA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Secretary of State, John Kerry

This petition is being submitted as an official request that your office and any other U.S. government agencies complete a thorough investigation into the brutal and vicious murder of Malcolm Lateef Shabazz, the first grandson of El Hajj Malik El Shabazz aka Malcolm X, that allegedly took place on Thursday, May 9th 2013 in Mexico City, Mexico.

This is a very grave matter and those of us who have signed this petition are scrutinizing the U.S. government very closely for their lack of interest in and/or coverage of this young man's savage beating and murder in a foreign country.

We would like the steps of Malcolm Lateef Shabazz retraced from the time that he entered Mexico. The last 24 to 72 hours of his life are of the utmost importance in getting to the bottom of how he was murdered and who actually murdered him.

Considering how closely he was being watched by your government's FBI and CIA agencies, there is no reason why they should not be able to provide this information in great detail. Unless, of course, they were complicit in young Malcolm Shabazz's "assassination".

If your government and their affiliates have nothing to hide, then this investigation should begin immediately. We are not satisfied with the accounts of Malcolm Shabazz's death as recorded in the annals of Wikipedia:

"Shabazz died in Mexico City on May 9, 2013 at the age of 28.[24] He was said to be on a tour to demand more rights for Mexican construction workers relocated to the USA. His body, which according to prosecutors had been badly beaten with a rod of some kind, was found in the street in Plaza Garibaldi, a busy tourist spot.[25] According to New York magazine, Miguel Suarez, who was with Shabazz the night of his death, said the beating was related to a dispute over a $1,200 bar tab for drinks and female companionship.[26] On May 13, two waiters from a nightclub called The Palace were arrested in connection with Shabazz's death and remanded in custody.[27] On May 18, a judge issued an order for the imprisonment of the two waiters, David Hernandez Cruz and Manuel Alejandro Perez de Jesus, who worked at the Palace bar. They are accused of theft and homicide.[28]"

This explanation is totally unacceptable to us.

Thank you for your time and attention to this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

International Human Rights Association For American Minorities.

107th Congress Public Law 228]
[From the U.S. Government Printing Office]

http://www.change.org/petitions/secretary-of-state-john-kerry-assassination-investigation-for-malcolm-hajj-shabazz?utm_campaign=twitter_link_action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

(1) (Reply)

Is Quran Co-eternal With God? / If God Is Allah, Why Can't Xmas Be Sallah ? / Discussing The Reality Of The Crisis Between The Shia Scholars And The Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.