Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? (18343 Views)

Should Hijabs Be Allowed In NYSC Camps? / Shocking Photos From The NYSC Camp In Kwara / Guide For NYSC Members Participating In 2015 Election: A Case Study Of 2011Elec. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by mollie12: 8:13pm On May 10, 2013
Double post
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by mollie12: 8:14pm On May 10, 2013
Guy, there is simply no need for such.

For most job applications, its when you get to interview stage that they start looking at your documents. You can then explain what happened. Pursuing Bachelors after HND is not a crime, so there is nothing to worry about.

I'm sure its illegal to serve twice. Several people have been waiting at home to get mobilized and you are going to take someone's space - wasting the person's time and progress. Let's do things properly.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Inik(m): 8:17pm On May 10, 2013
Yo can't serve twice. They have a database of names of ex-corpers.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Olaposij(m): 8:24pm On May 10, 2013
Very dumb reason to want to repeat NYSC.. You should be proud that you have an HND and a BEng.. A lot of employers wld prefer Ʊ to someone with just a degree..
If you are going to serve again, it means Ʊ have to delete your HND from your resume. Or how would you explain the fact that you had an HND years ago but you are just serving now?
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by CrazyMan(m): 8:44pm On May 10, 2013
--
--
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by ITbomb(m): 9:00pm On May 10, 2013
what a prospective employer looks for is a fresh graduate that has just finish NYSC they would not care about details, so if ur discharge date is four years ago . It would be against u
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by CrazyMan(m): 9:22pm On May 10, 2013
ITbomb: what a prospective employer looks for is a fresh graduate that has just finish NYSC they would not care about details, so if ur discharge date is four years ago . It would be against u
Very true...
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 10, 2013
It is a criminal offense to serve twice, look at section 13, sub-section 2b of the Nysc decree, it states thus:
# having served m the service corps and has been duly issued with a Certificate of National Service or Certificate of Exemption as the case may be and is not eligible to serve under the same service corps so participate or guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine N4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of 2 years or to both such fine and imprisonment.

below is the link for the nysc decree
http://www.nysc.gov.ng/downloads/nysc-decree.php
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by thrugemaster(m): 9:46pm On May 10, 2013
ohnyore: It is a criminal offense to serve twice, look at section 13, sub-section 2b of the Nysc decree, it states thus:
# having served m the service corps and has been duly issued with a Certificate of National Service or Certificate of Exemption as the case may be and is not eligible to serve under the same service corps so participate or guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine N4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of 2 years or to both such fine and imprisonment.

hmmmm......... Missing GBEge.......
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by iwanchop(m): 9:53pm On May 10, 2013
My brother it costs you nothing,influence this one too so you can serve where u r presently resident.
Nigerian environment is very discriminatory,to avoid any ' had I known ' go for it.
Not all employer would be ready to listen to your explanation that u served before finishing ur degree.
In fact ,u would not be able to apply to some jobs wt ur first nysc cert and ur degree and some other would even screen u out and not shortlist u for test talkless of interview where u can do any explanation.But if it's true that NYSC can detect (which I doubt) don't try it o
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by CrazyMan(m): 10:32pm On May 10, 2013
ohnyore: It is a criminal offense to serve twice, look at section 13, sub-section 2b of the Nysc decree, it states thus:

Wao
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by desoul2004(m): 11:23pm On May 10, 2013
Pls, i'm in the same condition... Still thinking on how to handle d issue.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by funshint(m): 11:24pm On May 10, 2013

@OP there U̶̲̥̅̊ have your answer. Thread closed!!
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Inik(m): 11:25pm On May 10, 2013
Why would you even think of serving twice?. Maybe you are having nostalgic feelings. I finished serving last year and the pleasant memories of the service year are still fresh in my mind but i cannot imagine myself wanting to serve again.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Jus4c: 11:37pm On May 10, 2013

Good job,bros.Hmmmm.... now feel good to know the implication of the step I would have taken.However,I will not be writing the year of completion of my national service certificate against it in my resume. This,I think, will give me the opportunity of being shortlisted for any aptitude test first.The much needed explanation can later be made during the course of the interview,if asked.I want to say a very big thank you to everyone who has considered it good enough to be part of the enlightenment train.You are all lifted.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by touchmeder: 11:51pm On May 10, 2013

If you got the time to go through the degree to see if there is any such thing there good luck.
I don't think you should bother. You even have a job, listen who is good is good.As long as your certificates are authentic you need not fear anything. If anyone ask you why you have your degree after your NYSC that's why you have mouth to explain. There is a way you can use this to your advantage. Any one who buys into your belief system will hire you anyways.You can hype yourself by saying you are a multi tasker, go getter and a very focused person to have gone back to school to achieve your goal etc.May God give you the strength. All the best...
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by kalufelix(m): 11:53pm On May 10, 2013
u get am carry over?
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by touchmeder: 11:55pm On May 10, 2013

SECTION 13

Any person
who fails to report for service in the service corps in the manner directed by the Directorate of as the case may be, prescribed pursuant to the provisions of this Decree
who refuses to make himself available for service in the service corps continuously for the period specified in subsection (2) of this section, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N2,OOO or to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Any person who
under the provisions of this Decree is not e1igible to participate in the service corps so participates or attempts to so participate is guilty of an offence
having served m the service corps and has been duly issued with a Certificate of National Service or Certificate of Exemption as the case may be and is not eligible to serve under the same service corps so participate or guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine N4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of 2 years or to both such fine and imprisonment.

Any person who fails to comply with or who contravenes or causes or aids or abets another to contravene any provision of this decree (not being a provision relating to the calling and liable on conviction to a fine of N5,000 or imprisonment for a term of three years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Agbesky: 3:34am On May 11, 2013
Capital NO....if you are caught ...your your life ends in jail....simple as ABC
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Daxbiz(m): 5:36am On May 11, 2013
@OP, participate twice in NYSC and participate once in PRISON...
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by kevoh(m): 7:43am On May 11, 2013
Why do you want to waste time going through NYSC again? From the way I see it you will score good points if you told me as an interviewer that you were able to complete a B.eng program while working (Night shifts albeit).

I know how night shifts can be as an engineer, I've been there before and still do it some times when staff go on leave and we are understaffed. That shows you know how to manage your time and how focused on your goals you can be. If I were an employer I would employ you immediately.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by XPresie: 10:50am On May 11, 2013
@op, u reali av shown wy u'r intrestd in d 2nd servc buh;
...Its illega 2serv mor dan 1s. Pple do it buh illegaly. Its in d 'Act' n also d bye-laws of d NYSC.... evn if u'r fand eva 2av servd in a militry or any oda nationa servc scheme dat is not NYSC, u can't serv again 'atal' acordn 2d rule.
So dear, if u won't b able 2face d burst wen any 'body' (employr, law agents or elsebody) gt 2kno abt it, dnt do it.
Let me evn add dat u'r stil a fresh graduat, avin a nw NYSC/Not......
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Fishout(m): 2:44pm On May 11, 2013
OP,i think u have gained alot of experiences frm d reply u got frm ur thread which u can benefit frm it.My contribution is dat,u are a intelligent nd focus person,u dont need to waste a year for nysc again.just move forward as u are planning for ur life.u will succed by God's grace.best of lucky
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by delpee(f): 10:32pm On May 11, 2013
You have the nysc discharge certificate and currently acquiring experience at work. Why waste another year and risk a jail term? Be wise, your certificates and work experience tho part time, will fetch you another job.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by j4jj: 11:18pm On May 11, 2013
Its grossly illegal to go for another NYSC cert whether you serve or claim exemption! Y even wasting ur time! Get ur degree and move on to obtaining a gud job
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by AdexOmoby(f): 11:49pm On May 11, 2013
Jus4c: I am about concluding my B.Eng programme, having gained admission via DE into 300L about two years ago.I had my HND certificate in Electrical-Electronics Engineering and went for the NYSC in 2009 but decided to go back to the university to obtain B.eng in order to be free from the "barriers" associated with HND certificate in Nigeria.
Now,I am considering going for mobilization again after my B.Eng programme.The reason for this action is to fit into any job advert that may be available.In some job advert for fresh graduate,it will be stated that'not more than two years post NYSC experience.'Meanwhile I have completed my NYSC four years back.In order to save myself of being constantly asked during the course of any interview that how come I took part in the NYSC scheme before graduating,I think I should go for the scheme again.It is also good to intimate you that I am currently working in a multinational,though as a junior staff.I was able to combine the service with my work in 2009 because I influenced my posting to the same state of residence and to a firm that showed understanding as regards my 'status'.So, I didn't I have any problemm or underwent any stress combining service with work.In fact the whole year passed as if nothing had happened.So,going for another service is not going to be a problem as I know how to go about it.
The major area I need an enlightenment on is the implication of doing this: whether it is written any where either in the NYSC act or constitution that it is not allowed.Personally,I have not seen it written anywhere but I need your advice on this.Once again the decision to do this again,not minding the associated stress,is to fit into any employment advert.I am waiting for your meaningful reply.Thanks.

I doubt if there is any need for you to serve. You say you are already working Are you looking for higher career prospects?? Or you wanna change jobs? Even when been asked why you served before graduating, it is always good to always explain to prospective employers. If you dont get the job, dust your self and move on...I think there is danger is serving twice. I am not sure where it is documented but it could pose serious problems for you in the future!
All be well! Regards!
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by DECOtech(m): 7:22am On May 12, 2013
But, what's d big deal in telling whom it may concern that u wen back to school after ur HND programme hence ur serving b4 graduating as a BSc? My brother, no go compound ur simple issue oh.
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Kol4grin01: 12:17pm On May 22, 2016
Pabodan:
I had the same experience, completed my HND in 2009 while Still running my B Sc program, I went for service in 2010 while in 300 level then, I didn't bother to go for NYSC after my B Sc, Guez what, they alwaz see me as one kind supper man anytime I go for interview, I hv worked in to coys frm then till date, and both are Multinational coys.
Believe me Bro, it will be to your advantage.
This is Nigeria, the same people encouraging you to go for it today ll use it against you later in life.

Hello bro. I really to talk to u beta on som advices com am heading through the same path as u. Am and ND graduate of Kwarapoly who is planning to go for Direct entry at unilorin. Bt d problem is dat am 27 years old now. That might restrict me from serving. So my plans are to go for hnd and at d same tym goin for bsc. Which means by 2018, i wld av graduated from kp and in my 300 level at unilorin. Can i still go for service n still run my program at unilorin. Break it down for me bro. Thanx as i wait ur response
Re: Participating In The NYSC Twice: Is It Allowed? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
SilaV:

My brother, it is not an easy task at all.It's actually a full time progamme.My work location is not far from the campus and the nature of my work takes the format of a shift programme.So, if I am on night duty or off duty,which can fall on any day,I do attend lectures.When it becomes imperative for me to be around(e.g. writing of mid semester test or exam), I can obtain a casual leave or do swap of duty.A true HND graduate going for the same course should not have problem in reading and understanding courses he had taken before.There is nothing like 'runs' in the school and to the glory of God I am doing well:it is more or less like revision.
Waow

(1) (2) (Reply)

House Of Rep Suspends #4000 Call Up Letter Fee / Ekiti B15 Lets Meet / MURIC To NYSC: Review Camp Training Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.