Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

How To Speak Correct English!!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Speak Correct English!!! (1640 Views)

Translate This To Correct English / Childhood Songs We Missed Their Correct Lyrics / Is This Statement Correct English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Speak Correct English!!! by Nobody: 8:33am On May 11, 2013
K
Re: How To Speak Correct English!!! by Dospix(m): 3:56pm On May 11, 2013
Their are many ways one can enhance his or her speaking skills, one of which is listening to people who are apt and lucid in the suppose language. One thing i need to state clearly is that not all good speakers of English can write English properly and not all who can write English language properly can speak properly; this is a case not just in English but in all languages of the world. It is not a taboo that your friend could not properly make vivid his experience in English; probably the fact that he wasn't born into the language(mother tongue)could be part of the reason he has issues speaking English properly. It is obvious that the problem or challenge your friend faces requires a lot of dedication and practice on his part. However in other to minimize his errors and flipping English speaking skills, he should engage in reading books that centers on enhancing this challenge he faces. And most importantly before he makes any utterance he should have it properly thought out and rationally stipulated within him.If he is a fast speaker, in order to moderate his speaking problem he needs to speak much more slower than he is used to.
Re: How To Speak Correct English!!! by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 11, 2013
leocolin: i was really embarassed when i accompany my friend to a social get-together party and when he was called to the plat-form to tell the audience his experience on "How He Woo Your Woman To be" i was shocked that he isn't fluent in speaking correct english and he often makes wrong use of tenses and grammars despite the fact that he is a genius when it comes to writing in english.

Pls guys what advice should i give to him to ensure that he can boost his speaking skills and can become fluent in english because he often complains to me that he gets tired easily whenever he is trying to communicate in correct english but can converse 24hrs non-stop without gettin tired.

For all your criticism, and apparent embarassment with regards your friend's spoken English, your written English is hardly any better. Your write-up here is riddled with errors. Incorrect use of tense, capital and lower case letters.

Your punctuation is also non-existent.

i (wrong). I (correct).
Accompany (wrong). Accompanied (correct).
Plat-form (wrong). Platform (correct).
english (wrong). English (correct).
Grammars (wrong). Grammar (correct).

Going by your own grasp of written English, there's very little (if any) advice you can give your friend, to improve his spoken English. I'm not being nasty, I mean this in the nicest possible way. smiley
Re: How To Speak Correct English!!! by Pennywise(m): 6:44pm On May 11, 2013
Siena:

For all your criticism, and apparent embarassment with regards your friend's spoken English, your written English is hardly any better. Your write-up here is riddled with errors. Incorrect use of tense, capital and lower case letters.

Your punctuation is also non-existent.

i (wrong). I (correct).
Accompany (wrong). Accompanied (correct).
Plat-form (wrong). Platform (correct).
english (wrong). English (correct).
Grammars (wrong). Grammar (correct).

Going by your own grasp of written English, there's very little (if any) advice you can give your friend, to improve his spoken English. I'm not being nasty, I mean this in the nicest possible way. smiley

It is possible that you mean well "in the nicest possible way" but a social network forum is what it is. Minor errors of some kind are inevitable. It is not a reason to leave the substance to chase shadows. Your correction is not without errors.

'criticism, and apparent. . .' Wrong. Correction? Criticism and apparent
'with regards your friend's spoken English. . .' Wrong. Correction? 'with regard to your friend's spoken English. . '

Well, what can I say?
Re: How To Speak Correct English!!! by Mynd44: 8:01pm On May 11, 2013
lol
Re: How To Speak Correct English!!! by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 11, 2013
Pennywise:

It is possible that you mean well "in the nicest possible way" but a social network forum is what it is. Minor errors of some kind are inevitable. It is not a reason to leave the substance to chase shadows. Your correction is not without errors.

'criticism, and apparent. . .' Wrong. Correction? Criticism and apparent
'with regards your friend's spoken English. . .' Wrong. Correction? 'with regard to your friend's spoken English. . '

Well, what can I say?

Interesting. Let's all learn something here then.

For all your criticism, and apparent embarassment...

Is very correct. The context will depict where your punctuation marks will be.

...with regards your friend's spoken English...

Is also as correct as your version is. Shortened variants are not necessarily wrong, depending on the context, and how it ties to the rest of the sentence.

(1) (Reply)

Nairalanders Close Shave With Death. / Chinedu wins GULDER ULTIMATE Search....the Mission... / Unicalabar Supplementary List For The 2014/2015 Academic Session Finally Updated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.