Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,070 members, 7,953,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics (160929 Views)

ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? / Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike / ASUP Strike Called Off With No Demand Fulfilled? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Fortune02(m): 8:28am On Jun 04, 2013
original dave: your a fool so if asup dnt call off your dream will die, u dnt even have a dream
I think U can correct him wtout callin him a fool

2 Likes

Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Nathan00(m): 9:02am On Jun 04, 2013
The strike has been called off 4 d past two wks.... So don,t dull yourself ooo
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Abbeykabir2(m): 11:15am On Jun 04, 2013
Nathan00: The strike has been called off 4 d past two wks.... So don,t dull yourself ooo
4rm which source u get am?
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by OPEYEMIAD(m): 2:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Poly unions’ strike: NANS, NAPS call on FG to urgently invervene

THE National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) and the National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS), have called on the Federal Government, to as a matter of urgency, intervene in the nationwide strike embarked upon by all the three unions in the nation’s polytechnics.

It will be recalled that the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics (SSANIP) and the Non- Academic Staff Union (NASU) are currently on industrial action over government’s refusal to implement agreements it signed, aimed at rejuvenating the polytechnic system.

The president-elect of NAPS, Mr Ogbonnaya Sunday, who spoke with the Nigerian Tribune, shortly after the union’s national convention, held at the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, at the weekend, said the strike had grounded all activities in the polytechnics.

He said: “We are begging the Federal Government to look into ASUP’s recommendations and come up with a commendable stand so that this strike can be called off.

“Gone are the days we use violence to get what we want. We believe in three Cs— consultation, consolidation and confrontation.

“Like I said, we will not confront, but will make sure that we exhaust our two Cs— consultation and consolidation. It is when those two fails, then we will consider the last option.”

The NANS Senate President, Donald Onukaogu, admonished President Goodluck Jonathan, to take seriously the welfare of civil servants and warned the leadership of ASUP not to politicise its demand from government.

Onukaogu said: “We have had a press conference on that issue and we told government clearly that staff welfare is important. The hallmark of any virile education sector is having a well-mobilised workforce.

“We have equally told the ASUP that it should not politicise its demands. It should not make demands and go on strike over every little thing. It must always face the reality.

“It must consider the financial strength of the country, what is achievable and workable before making its demands?”
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by kinggenesis(m): 4:36pm On Jun 05, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), on
Wednesday said that it was making progress in
discussions with the Federal Government over its ongoing indefinite strike.

Mr Chibuzor Asumogba, ASUP President, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview in Lagos that when to suspend the
strike would, however, depend on the final outcome of the talks.

“Our members are holding forth; we are making progress with our discussion with the Federal Government and the talks still continue”.

Source: mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/asup-strike-we-are-making-progress-in-discussion-with-fg-asumogba/

1 Like

Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by nividad(f): 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2013
In a country where the concerns of the citizens are not taken as utmost priority, this scenario is inevitable.
If polytechnics are not up to standard like they are trying to presume then I suggest it should be scrapped.
Looking at those in the labour market we produce individuals that are intelligent and have rapt knowledge of what they have studied and yet we are been discriminated . Y?
They send their children abroad because they can afford it, what about those of us our parents have to work real hard to send us to school?
It's been 2 months now and no positive response ,the media are not even helping matters like we do not exist.
It is so sad, and tommorrow. Corruption would be talked about.
What kind of tommorrow's leaders is this country bringing up?
Please FG call off the strike so that we could return to our classrooms and become something for ourselves,family and our great country NIGERIA!!.

1 Like

Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by kinggenesis(m): 1:58pm On Jun 07, 2013
ASUP STRIKE UPDATE
Information reaching us indicates that THE federal government have slated a date to dialogue over the
ongoing industrial action embarked upon by polytechnic
lecturers. NIPOSAC gathered that the 24th of June has been fixed for the supposed meeting in Abuja.

Also there are speculation that the
seven weeks old strike might be
suspended on that day if a compromise is reached.

Meanwhile on Wednesday 5th of
June, the south west wing of the Academic Staff Union Of Polytechnic met in Ibadan the capital of Oyo state to deliberate on the same strike issue.

NIPOSAC also learnt from a reliable source
that some faction of ASUP especially the 23 members of the
National Executive Council who voted for the suspension of the
strike at the last NEC meeting in May are wary of the harm the
prolong strike would have on the academic calender of their
respective institution.

However all hands are on desk toward the
forthcoming meeting in a fortnight which most stakeholders believe will break the cord of the strike
action either by unanimously
resolution or individually back-out.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=445442368886002&id=319456014817972&from_feed=1&refid=8&_ft_=qid.5886719801734206224%3Amf_story_key.414210438229619480
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by BABYNWA: 11:13am On Jun 12, 2013
pls my nairalanders can dis ASUP strike be call off dis month. matured answer
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by moemindz: 1:37pm On Jun 13, 2013
So far, Asup has been treated like a toothless dog by d FG n even d press
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Nairaplus(m): 3:04am On Jun 17, 2013
BABYNWA: pls my nairalanders can dis ASUP strike be call off dis month. matured answer
Going by the latest utterances by the FG and ASUP, I believe the strike will be called off on the 28th of this month.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Abuklaw(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2013
Nairaplus:
Going by the latest utterances by the FG and ASUP, I believe the strike will be called off on the 28th of this month.
what is ur source pls coz i don't nid to leave in illusion anylonger
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Nairaplus(m): 10:13am On Jun 17, 2013
Abuklaw: what is ur source pls coz i don't nid to leave in illusion anylonger

Source?! For what

Is English Language This Hard? grin
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Abuklaw(m): 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2013
Nairaplus:

Source?! For what

Is English Language This Hard? grin
Imagine wat ur reply was!!!! Is it an offence 2 ask u 2 demystify if i don't get d msg u're trying to pass, i guess u're the kind that lack courtesy to handle things like a diplomat. Smh 4 u
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Ugwutownboy(m): 7:12pm On Jun 23, 2013
Please any latest news about asup strike?
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Tnot(m): 5:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
''My fellow students in the house,this is to inform you dat the said 74th NEC ASUP conference bid to hold at the federal poly oko on 24th june did not hold.it has now been shifted to wednesday n thursday i.e 26th n 27th june.in the said conference ASUP wil discuss n delibrate on many issues including d on-going strike embark upon by them. On a further note,the National Association of Polytechnic Student( NAPS) have propose to carry out a mass protest against the FG in Abuja. They are calling on all SUG Excos and all student to get prepare by bring the following materials mattress,mosquito nets, tooth brush n paste and others.the protest wil tak days until FG listen to ASUP.....Remember Nelson Madela once said and i quote"if close down the school door then be ready to open the prison door"Education is a Right and not a Previlge. Let unity and fight dis injustic,subhuman,substardard and disparity once n for all.'' By Mathew Omoregie.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by OPEYEMIAD(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2013
Poly lecturers may call off strike tomorrow
Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) may call off its over two-month strike tomorrow during its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting at the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State.

This indication emerged yesterday during the congress of the Federal Polytechnic, Oko chapter of the ASUP.

Chairman of ASUP, Federal Polytechnic, Oko, branch, Comrade Onyeka Uwakwe, said academic staff of polytechnics in Nigeria would gather in Oko from tomorrow for their NEC meeting.

He said they have prepared for the hosting of the 74th NEC meeting and urged all to lend support.

“With regard to ASUP national strike, congress urges the Federal Government to show more commitment to matters concerning the education sector and polytechnic system in particular. Congress expresses readiness to begin full

academic work as soon as the national strike is suspended in view of the absence of any local chapter problem,” Comrade
Uwakwe said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/poly-lecturers-may-call-off-strike-tomorrow/
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by lilbakar(m): 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2013
what is the difference btwn OND and HND,nd how does it work in polys,because i choosed OND while registering for jamb,pls someone should help me out,pls
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by pahul19(m): 6:58am On Jun 28, 2013
this is nt hw a gud government should be treatin youth wen we re at home 4 almost two mnth nw do dey tink it is gud, instead of us 2 be in class we re nw roamin aimlessly
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by dagentility(f): 10:32am On Jun 28, 2013
ehinmero: Dear Nairalander please what's the latest about AsUP Strike its been over three weeks that we've been at home.

Are you saying 3wks,it's 2months going to 3months
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by dagentility(f): 10:37am On Jun 28, 2013
Bishop4bella: Abeg call off d strike make i knw my fate wit fedpoly ede since jamb don do their worst. Did anyone knw poly ede cutoff mark.
We dey run comot from poly,u wan enter,anyway gudluck.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by nigger009(m): 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
Federal government has turned a deaf ear to ASUP, pretending as if nothing is happening but, something is happening. So, what I'm trying to say here is that, this strike should continue until the Fed. Gov. responds to their needs even if it will take years. Maybe Poly edu. can even be eliminated since FG thinks it is useless.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 30, 2013
U are A Bastard!!and U parents must be a fool for concieveing such an idot like U!witch
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by nividad(f): 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2013
nigger009: Federal government has turned a deaf ear to ASUP, pretending as if nothing is happening but, something is happening. So, what I'm trying to say here is that, this strike should continue until the Fed. Gov. responds to their needs even if it will take years. Maybe Poly edu. can even be eliminated since FG thinks it is useless.
U try well well
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by gerard2244: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
nigger009: Federal government has turned a deaf ear to ASUP, pretending as if nothing is happening but, something is happening. So, what I'm trying to say here is that, this strike should continue until the Fed. Gov. responds to their needs even if it will take years. Maybe Poly edu. can even be eliminated since FG thinks it is useless.
@nigger009 is it because u went to UNI(just guessing)dat u want poly to b eliminated if i may ask will it solve d problem?
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by MYNSTER: 5:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
ASUP Vows to Continue Nationwide Strike but MAPOLY ASUP has back out of the strike. So Jambite be ready dat mapoly postJamb form wil be out soon contact me on 2go <mynster>. Sorry 4 Nigeria education has ASUU commence university nationwide strike.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by dagentility(f): 2:07pm On Jul 02, 2013
I disagree with your point.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 04, 2013
Any news
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by OPEYEMIAD(m): 5:40pm On Jul 04, 2013
President of Academic Staff Unionof Polytechnics, ASUP, Dr Chibuzor Asomugha, Thurday disclosed that the Senate Committee on Education has promised to intervene on the imbroglio between the Federal Government and ASUP to put an end to the 67-day-old industrial action.
He said: “The Senate Committee has pledged to intervene with theSecretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and the Office of Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF) with a viewto sorting out issues surroundingthe completion of the appointment of members of Governing Councils of six polytechnics and the Integrated Personnel and Payroll InformationSystem (IPPIS) imbroglio.”
Asomugha who described ASUP meeting with Senate Committee as fruitful said, “definite assignments were given to different stakeholders with Tuesday next week as deadline for results.”
Present at the meeting were; members of Senate Committee on Education, Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’i and Minister of Labour, Barr. Emeka Wogu. Others were the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Dr.Mas’udu A. Kazaure, National Publicity Secretary, ASUP, Mr. Clement Chairman, Permanent Secretary (Education) and Directorof Establishment (Head Of Service).
“The potentially fruitful parley will reconvene on Tuesday next week to appraise progress from the different efforts,” the ASUP leader said.
ASUP had embarked on a nationwide indefinite strike on 29th April over what they termed Federal Government’s insensitivityto their demands.
They are asking government to adequately fund polytechnics, appoint qualified Rectors, and resolve the issue of integrated Polytechnic Payroll system among others.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by dagentility(f): 3:33pm On Jul 05, 2013
OPEYEMI AD: President of Academic Staff Unionof Polytechnics, ASUP, Dr Chibuzor Asomugha, Thurday disclosed that the Senate Committee on Education has promised to intervene on the imbroglio between the Federal Government and ASUP to put an end to the 67-day-old industrial action.
He said: “The Senate Committee has pledged to intervene with theSecretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and the Office of Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF) with a viewto sorting out issues surroundingthe completion of the appointment of members of Governing Councils of six polytechnics and the Integrated Personnel and Payroll InformationSystem (IPPIS) imbroglio.”
Asomugha who described ASUP meeting with Senate Committee as fruitful said, “definite assignments were given to different stakeholders with Tuesday next week as deadline for results.”
Present at the meeting were; members of Senate Committee on Education, Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’i and Minister of Labour, Barr. Emeka Wogu. Others were the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Dr.Mas’udu A. Kazaure, National Publicity Secretary, ASUP, Mr. Clement Chairman, Permanent Secretary (Education) and Directorof Establishment (Head Of Service).
“The potentially fruitful parley will reconvene on Tuesday next week to appraise progress from the different efforts,” the ASUP leader said.
ASUP had embarked on a nationwide indefinite strike on 29th April over what they termed Federal Government’s insensitivityto their demands.
They are asking government to adequately fund polytechnics, appoint qualified Rectors, and resolve the issue of integrated Polytechnic Payroll system among others.
Thanks for the update,keep it comming.
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by esshay: 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2013
pls kp m informed when d strike off
Re: FG Reaction On ASUP Strike In Polytechnics by OPEYEMIAD(m): 12:28pm On Jul 08, 2013
ABUJA PROTEST OR DELEGATION MEETINGhuh For the purpose of information and clarification,the NAPS has schedule a meeting of 15 representatives of both the exco,leg arm of nap cum 6 SUG president across the six geo political zone in nigeria The 15 delegates will meet today before meeting with the minister of education on tuesday morning and later attendthe meeting of senate cmmt on edu,SGF,min of education and ASUP same tuesday....No matter the matter ASUP STRIKE must be suspended latest at the end of TUESDAY meeting or face the THIRD C of ÀLUTA....Nothing shall discourage us

Mind you the third C am talking about is ...CONFRONTATION

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2016/2017 Post UTME /admission Thread / Breaking News: A.b.u Zaria Admission List Out. / Ahmadu Bello University: Here We Come. 2015/16

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.