Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. (6530 Views)

AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong? / Caught A Fellow Nigerian Woman Cheating On Her Husband . Can I Tell Him / Does A Scorpion Bite Kill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by chuka2003(m): 1:58pm On May 14, 2013
Help guys... I seriously need some advise. Our nanny woke me up this morning to see a tiny scorpion lying innate on the bathroom floor. She had lifted up our baby's bath tub and saw the scorpion hiding underneath. It was about the size of a giant sugar ant(about 1 cm long)!!! Damn... this was the second one we have caught in the last 3 months.

We just fumigated our house like 2 weeks ago (we always fumigate the house every 3 months)

I live smack in the middle of Gbagada (no bush or canal at my backyard) in Lasgidi... the city that never sleeps!!! I was born and bred in Lagos all my life and not for once have I ever seen a scorpion in Lagos. I have seen scorpions only at my village but not in the city. I always believed that such creatures don't dwell in the city.

Please help... i have 2 toddlers (a 1-year old and a 3-year old) that roam around like energizer bunnies... picking and stuffing everything they see into their mouth. Abeg... help with advise.
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by biolabee(m): 3:20pm On May 14, 2013
Do a check everywhere around the house... for holes, roofs, corners or where scorpion may have laid eggs

Though at Icm it must be small or a baby

Can u upload the pix lets see...

i know scorpions are found in the bush area- saw a couple in boarding house but never in the city

Are uou sure its not a spider
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by stevecantrell: 6:31pm On May 14, 2013
Hmm.. is there any building construction underway, near your house ?
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by bebe2(f): 7:44pm On May 14, 2013
pls go to all this pesticide shop, n ask wat to get that will deter reptiles and others.
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by DukeNija(m): 10:58pm On May 14, 2013
Kill it, pray and let's hear word undecided
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by sampuu2013: 3:36am On May 15, 2013
chuka2003: Help guys... I seriously need some advise. Our nanny woke me up this morning to see a tiny scorpion lying innate on the bathroom floor. She had lifted up our baby's bath tub and saw the scorpion hiding underneath. It was about the size of a giant sugar ant(about 1 cm long)!!! Damn... this was the second one we have caught in the last 3 months.

We just fumigated our house like 2 weeks ago (we always fumigate the house every 3 months)

I live smack in the middle of Gbagada (no bush or canal at my backyard) in Lasgidi... the city that never sleeps!!! I was born and bred in Lagos all my life and not for once have I ever seen a scorpion in Lagos. I have seen scorpions only at my village but not in the city. I always believed that such creatures don't dwell in the city.

Please help... i have 2 toddlers (a 1-year old and a 3-year old) that roam around like energizer bunnies... picking and stuffing everything they see into their mouth. Abeg... help with advise.

If you are having strange dreams like eating, masquerades or people chasing you, then you need to go for deliverance session, because kingdom of darkness uses it against God's children
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by chuka2003(m): 7:11pm On May 16, 2013
@sampuu2013... no strange or evil dreams. Thanks

Duke_Nija: Kill it, pray and let's hear word undecided
it's not by force to post. if you didn't want to help there's no need to use this thread to garner cheap popularity..

thanks @bebe2, @steve_cantrell and @biolabee; yeah, there's a construction going on behind my house (although, on the opposite side of the house where the scorpion was found). and yeah, i should have taken the photo... but i'm certain, it's a scorpion. i know what a scorpion looks like... I dey kill scorpion wella back in school.

That aside, after I made this post I still went ahead and did some further research online. Found out that scorpion sightings aren't particularly a strange occurrence in Lagos. Most, especially the tiny species; which easily arrive the city along with fruits and foodstuff from the rural areas. Hiding in yam tubers is very common. They are HIGHLY attracted to water; they love damp and warm places. This is why they are often found in bathrooms.

Scorpions do not have eggs, they give live-birth to as many as 32 young and mom carries them on her back till they are old enough to fend for themselves. So this was no more a baby scorpion @biolabee.

Good news; only about 25 out of almost 2000 species are known to have venom capable of killing a human being grin
Bad news; I have no idea what specie this was....

Just felt I should share this info...
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by biolabee(m): 9:35pm On May 16, 2013
Excellent then!

Then we may need to get some fumigant stuff to help, guess im also learning sth here grin

Also a pic may help other posters who may have this issue in the future

God will watch over your household

Just check all potential access points cheesy cheesy

chuka2003: @sampuu2013... no strange or evil dreams. Thanks

it's not by force to post. if you didn't want to help there's no need to use this thread to garner cheap popularity..

thanks @bebe2, @steve_cantrell and @biolabee; yeah, there's a construction going on behind my house (although, on the opposite side of the house where the scorpion was found). and yeah, i should have taken the photo... but i'm certain, it's a scorpion. i know what a scorpion looks like... I dey kill scorpion wella back in school.

That aside, after I made this post I still went ahead and did some further research online. Found out that scorpion sightings aren't particularly a strange occurrence in Lagos. Most, especially the tiny species; which easily arrive the city along with fruits and foodstuff from the rural areas. Hiding in yam tubers is very common. They are HIGHLY attracted to water; they love damp and warm places. This is why they are often found in bathrooms.

Scorpions do not have eggs, they give live-birth to as many as 32 young and mom carries them on her back till they are old enough to fend for themselves. So this was no more a baby scorpion @biolabee.

Good news; only about 25 out of almost 2000 species are known to have venom capable of killing a human being grin
Bad news; I have no idea what specie this was....

Just felt I should share this info...
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by Scorpiow(m): 6:21pm On May 17, 2013
I have killed like 2 in my house before, even though i had this strange feeling that it's more of spiritual than physical. I prayed seriously against such, and since then, i have overcome my fears. wink
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by stevecantrell: 12:35pm On May 18, 2013
OP thanks for confirming that.
They're usually found in areas where houses are under construction.

Just take extra precautions. check your surroundings and make a routine of it
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by Rocktation(f): 4:24pm On May 18, 2013
Yeah Op, couldn't agree more with your research. Cos only a few Lagosians back in the day, had testified to having been stung by scorpions, but lived through, without seeing a medic. Only 25 out of the 2000 spp, just has to make sense. But indeed, ALL scorpions are venomous, but the venoms of just that 25, are lethal to humans.

Anyway, if fumigation, removal of stones, grass, bricks, trash, and any thing damp/cold/stale, still don't work, you might wanna pay more attention to how to deal with an actual sting- just incase you don't get to your kids, fast enough.

Apply alcohol to the stung area to neutralize any kind of toxin, there might be. The venom's what incites the allergic reactions in fatal cases. The swelling can be taken care of with ice. The allergic reactions that usually require medics' attention include dizziness, blurry vision, muscle contractions, numbness, severe itching...
You may also eat freshly cut onions (it's a good protector of the NS).

So take note and spare yourself any unnecessary fuss and expenses. Cos visiting a doc may only earn you a painkillers' prescription for the swelling and that'd be all.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by chuka2003(m): 11:27pm On May 19, 2013
Rocktation: Yeah Op, couldn't agree more with your research. Cos only a few Lagosians back in the day, had testified to having been stung by scorpions, but lived through, without seeing a medic. Only 25 out of the 2000 spp, just has to make sense. But indeed, ALL scorpions are venomous, but the venoms of just that 25, are lethal to humans.

Anyway, if fumigation, removal of stones, grass, bricks, trash, and any thing damp/cold/stale, still don't work, you might wanna pay more attention to how to deal with an actual sting- just incase you don't get to your kids, fast enough.

Apply alcohol to the stung area to neutralize any kind of toxin, there might be. The venom's what incites the allergic reactions in fatal cases. The swelling can be taken care of with ice. The allergic reactions that usually require medics' attention include dizziness, blurry vision, muscle contractions, numbness, severe itching...
You may also eat freshly cut onions (it's a good protector of the NS).

So take note and spare yourself any unnecessary fuss and expenses. Cos visiting a doc may only earn you a painkillers' prescription for the swelling and that'd be all.

Thanks... very valuable info...
Re: HELP!!! I Just Caught A Scorpion In My Kids Bathroom. by SNoockie: 6:03am On Jul 20, 2017
We'll finally I got something i should know more about here this morning cause I was so so worried like ( Watin Happen Na ) almost like every two months I must found 1 laying around or underneath of bucket . So I just picked up my phone right away and put up a search, this one feels more informative than what I heard in the past sha, have heard some people talked about it like 2 months ago and I was bold to say it out then that I used to see it too in my toilet and bathroom and all they said was its normal and they can't kill, that do gave me some sort of relive so it's not only me that was experiencing such and finally there's no much cause for alarm. To start thinking someone is targeting me spiritually

But at this moment I know exactly what to do to prevent it from happening again, I already flushed it to the "WC" cause I found this one in a small bucket of water, I went back and trying taking the pictures I hope it's shows clearly.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My MIL Is Driving Me Craazzy. Help! / See What Someone's Son Was Caught Doing. (abomination!). / Why Am I So Melancholy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.