Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50706 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by alajor(m): 10:22pm On May 16, 2013
Here in south africa my friend went to pay lobola for his girl and they demanded 50 cows,dat na 7000 rand a cow, 1000 rand na 20,000 naira, do d maths. We were so pissed dat there daughter finally threatened them dat she go marry my friend whether they like it or not. They later accepted 15000 rand.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 16, 2013
switex: AM an igbo girl,bt am telling u dis bcus I know much abt it,de igbo girl been expensive is a family thing,bride price in some part of igbo land is nt up to 100naira,is mostly greedy family dat see deir daughter as a means of making money dat give diz bad names to igbos.
You said you are an igbo lady right? so how much do you think your people will charge me if i want to marry you?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 16, 2013
Evestar200: The man wey go marry me nor get problem sha,,cuz no family paleva,,bcuz my mum will never ever allow them to negotiate anything
Can you give us a clue how much your mum for like charge should in case i want to opt into your ripple
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 16, 2013
prince_onx:
N500,000 for what? Will Her sisters come along too?
that would have made it 1.2Millionaire naira if the sister eventually come along
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by ng4am(f): 5:00am On May 17, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Ur frnd na correct maga, did the force him abi the dig hand for ehm pocket collect the money. His not a real man, hw will he allow some grp of hungry people turn him into a mugu?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:04am On May 17, 2013
ng4am:
Ur frnd na correct maga, did the force him abi the dig hand for ehm pocket collect the money. His not a real man, hw will he allow some grp of hungry people turn him into a mugu?

No be small thing o. How on Earth can someone agree to pay N2.5 million as bride price? That's absolutely bonkers.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by adabeke12(f): 6:04am On May 17, 2013
BarryX: check the prices

it is sad that african people have this mindset. what is wrong with darkskin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by adabeke12(f): 6:17am On May 17, 2013
991:

In my village in Enugu state, if you bring home an Mbaise girl your family will disown you. grin grin

lmaooo
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 17, 2013
AngelEbi:
Its a lie, I'm frm Mbaise n my family just collected one thousand frm d stack of moni my husband brought.
dats bkus u are 4rm mbaise
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by powerblaze(m): 12:03pm On May 17, 2013
lorretta u: guilt? Lol.there's no way u gonna get me to start talking about myself now,not here. But mr do good.let me ask u.if u haven't touched ur girl in six years,I guess I am allowed to assume that you've been celibate for six years,right?
Or u r cheating outside and reserving her for the D day?lmao.u backward dudes have a way of tickling me.
And bro six years is a long time.
In Mish voice
#GoAndMarry#

Auntie, u try.. I simply fall into the class of guys that can wait.. Its not celibacy, its commitment. Six years is nothing if the love is true.. Getting married few months time.. Her bride price by the way, was on the very light side.. She's from delta, I guess thats why.
Sory about the rude response earlier.. U replied abit maturedly now, which I appreciate cheesy
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 5:15pm On May 17, 2013
Evestar200: dats my profile pix,,bt dont bother dear,,am getting married to a ghanaian few yrs time

Ehhhmmm, i had to go and look at that profile picture and i must assure you that your dad will pay and beg me to consider marrying you. And.....WTF....Again do not take it personal.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 6:30pm On May 17, 2013
goldfish80:
Mr English speaker,if your IQ wasnt the square root of 1,you would Have known the bride prize being discussed here is the cummulative List issued by the brides. Kinsmen. As people Have been listing on this thread items such as 60tubbers of yam,wrappers,even cars.... Kapish?

Bros, i hate to join issues with retards. The fact you are not able to draw a disticntion between bride price and bride list should not be my problem,for the same reason you continualy came first from the bottom of your class. OP talked about bride price not a list and if the whole world should decide to read and interprete a clear term in a different manner does not mean i should do the same.

If the OP wanted to talk about a marriage price list, i am certain she would have been that specific and i would have addressed it differently. What i have just written is not rocket science so get off my back and learn to read and comprehend.

Please see another egg head posting below. The fact we are all here does not necessarily mean we have the same level of IQ. The joke is now on you.

Considering you are a dummy, i have included the definition of an egg head

egghead [ˈɛgˌhɛd]
n
Informal an intellectual; highbrow

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 6:31pm On May 17, 2013
komek: Most of us are not really getting the topic right. It says what's the most ridiculous bride price u have ever heard. Now we have started dishing out everything needed to carry out a marriage, eg lists that follows a bride price and sum everything like the cost of transportation to the bride village, canopies, chairs, food, cloth, even money for fuel in your car etc up to 1m-5m. I just collected 2k as bride price from an inlaw last weekend just becos my kinsmen insisted and 90k for the other things. And the young man was so grateful. It was 90k because I don't want to look like I am going against the laws of the land. Pls parents, help the young men like us cos this lists are scary. And it making us look irresponsible..

God bless you my brother. At least i have someone that can read and understand. The OP was talking about bride price and not bride list.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by BarryX(m): 7:46pm On May 17, 2013
adabeke12:

it is sad that african people have this mindset. what is wrong with darkskin
The only thing wrong with the ''dark skin'' is actually what you just displayed, knowing there is a problem with our 'mindset' and not finding a solution to it and prefer asking questions at the fence. *smiles*
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by iamdsam: 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2013
Proudly Urhobo
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by samsard(m): 5:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Absolutely ridiculous
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by jice(m): 11:08pm On Dec 26, 2013
Igbo kwenu
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Ndipe(m): 12:44am On Jan 05, 2014
Interesting topic.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 06, 2014
What is bride price? Is it the dowry? If yes then the most ridiculous one was when my Qatari uni friend was getting married. He had to cough up 10 million Qatari Riyal which at that time equated to around 3 million US Dollars.
That was only the dowry, it didn't include the wedding expenses or things like that.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by pelepeleb: 11:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
No ridiculous at all. Name him get money why done use to buy the girl,agree to train 2 family member. If he no get money him go tell the papa say u don sell your dougthter. He difficult to say. Waiting the young boy dey chop now? Gari and water no kuli auger or moimoi.ayaa
It is well

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 15, 2014
Yomii:
If this is how this bride price of a thing will continue, most expecially from our Igbo babes, then it is their father that will marry them.
My advice to every young man like me, once you discover that the parent of the babe want to sell her to you, just pack your shoe and cut out... Don't even waist time at all. When she grow old for house, they will give her out for free.

Its quite silly that people that have a zero knowledge about how Igbos Marry are championing suggestions and advice. NIGERIANS!!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 15, 2014
pelepeleb: No ridiculous at all. Name him get money why done use to buy the girl,agree to train 2 family member. If he no get money him go tell the papa say u don sell your dougthter. He difficult to say. Waiting the young boy dey chop now? Gari and water no kuli auger or moimoi.ayaa
It is well

Lies, Lies, Lies and more lies still to come.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by jeddyMay(f): 12:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
BarryX:
#100?? Wow Jeddy can we start something ! I've always pictured myself getting married to an Isoko in my dreams: What ya say? ***smiles**

ohh!!! too late tongue
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by phorget(m): 1:52pm On Oct 09, 2014
Lilimax:

Pure lie. Anambra's bride price is not expensive. Get your facts right.
It is the Imo people that theirs is on the high side I think?
. Ive chosen to remain single o,I once wanted to marry someone frm Imo,the father Inlaw askd me to complete a duplex for him before we can start talkin marriage and among the bride price was included the New iPhone6 and i was like...

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by BarryX(m): 1:58pm On Oct 09, 2014
jeddyMay:

ohh!!! too late tongue
Fair enough, you sorta responded late too grin

So any unmarried sister?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Alegna1(f): 8:16am On Jul 19, 2016
Its greed, poverty, illiteracy n lack of integrity that make parents to sell their daughters in the name of bride price. Because to the best of my knowledge, the parents of the bride can always negotiate the outrageous demands of the hungry village uncles. Its worse though when the father of the bride is no more. All the same, na God go help us.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by linusbnn(m): 12:44am On Mar 18, 2017
bishop4life:

yes i sincery know awo girls are not xpensiv. Bt yet u didnt say how much...i stil wan to knw for record urposes,

I am from Orsu and I can boldly tell you that if you don't want to buy anything,100k is the money equivalent.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Pchidexy(m): 7:30am On Mar 18, 2017
phorget:
. Ive chosen to remain single o,I once wanted to marry someone frm Imo,the father Inlaw askd me to complete a duplex for him before we can start talkin marriage and among the bride price was included the New iPhone6 and i was like...
If your fable is true. How does this equate to generalizing it to the whole of Imo state.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Pchidexy(m): 7:30am On Mar 18, 2017
phorget:
If your fable is true. How does this equate to generalizing it to the whole of Imo state?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Pchidexy(m): 7:37am On Mar 18, 2017
igbsam:
And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Guy, you be confirm olodo! Do you expect any reasonable human being to believe your fable from the land of the dead?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Pchidexy(m): 7:49am On Mar 18, 2017
I have noticed that Nairaland is filled with kids or delusional adults. This is why I find it hard to comment here. The issue of marriage is not for children. Marriage is not friendship. A man who intends to get married must demonstrate his ability to cater for his wife. Dowry in most areas of Igbo land is never bigger than #10,000 Naira(this is the case in my home town). The things in the list are all negotiable. However, if you re rich you can do it ten folds( don't shout later that it is too costly). In my town in Imo state, #200,000 can comfortably do everything for you as we don't do Igba nkwu.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.