Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (8096 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Ndyoo(m): 11:54pm On May 15, 2013
[url][/url]www.caineprize.com/news_2013_shortlist.php

The shortlist for the 2013 Caine Prize for African
Writing has been announced today (Wednesday 15
May) – and among the five stories chosen are an
unprecedented four Nigerian entries.

The Chair of judges, art historian and broadcaster,
Gus Casely-Hayford said, “The shortlist was selected
from 96 entries from 16 African countries. They are
all outstanding African stories that were drawn
from an extraordinary body of high quality
submissions.” Gus described the shortlist saying, “The five
contrasting titles interrogate aspects of things that
we might feel we know of Africa – violence,
religion, corruption, family, community – but these
are subjects that are deconstructed and beautifully
remade.

These are challenging, arresting, provocative stories of a continent and its
descendants captured at a time of burgeoning
change.” The winner of the £10,000 prize is to be
announced at a celebratory dinner at the Bodleian
Library, Oxford, on Monday 8 July. The 2013 shortlist comprises:

Elnathan John (Nigeria) ‘Bayan Layi’ from Per Contra, Issue 25 (USA, 2012) Read Bayan Layi
Tope Folarin (Nigeria) ‘Miracle’ from Transition, Issue 109 (Bloomington, 2012)
Read Miracle

Pede Hollist (Sierra Leone) ‘Foreign Aid’ from Journal of Progressive Human Services, Vol. 23.3 (Philadelphia, 2012)
Read Foreign Aid

Abubakar Adam Ibrahim (Nigeria) ‘The Whispering
Trees’ from The Whispering Trees, published by Parrésia Publishers (Lagos, 2012) Read The Whispering Tree

Chinelo Okparanta (Nigeria) ‘America’ from Granta, Issue 118 (London, 2012) Read America As always the stories will be available to read online
on our website www.caineprize.com and will be
published with the 2013 workshop stories in our
forthcoming anthology A Memory This Size in July
2013 by New Internationalist and seven co-
publishers in Africa.

Alongside Gus on the panel of judges this year are
award-winning Nigerian-born artist, Sokari
Douglas Camp; author, columnist and Lord
Northcliffe Emeritus Professor at UCL, John
Sutherland; Assistant Professor at Georgetown
University, Nathan Hensley and the winner of the Caine Prize in its inaugural year, Leila Aboulela.

Once again, the winner of the £10,000 Caine Prize
will be given the opportunity of taking up a
month’s residence at Georgetown University, as a
Writer-in-Residence at the Lannan Center for Poetics
and Social Practice.

The award will cover all travel and living expenses. The winner will also be invited
to take part in the Open Book Festival in Cape Town
in September 2013. Last year the Caine Prize was won by Nigerian
writer Rotimi Babatunde. He has subsequently co-
authored a play ‘Feast’ for the Young Vic and the
Royal Court theatres in London.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by dridowu: 9:38am On May 16, 2013
Kongrat to them. Making 9ja Proud
1st 2 k
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Lilimax(f): 9:39am On May 16, 2013
Nigerians doing us proud in the diaspora.
Bless you guys.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by yuzedo: 9:39am On May 16, 2013
Huh? Cane price keh? undecided
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by nerodenero: 9:41am On May 16, 2013
While some of our leaders are making the country ungovernable using boko haram as tool to achieving their wicked desires,some honourable Nigerians are doing us proud.Kudos to your guys!

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by rozayx5(m): 9:41am On May 16, 2013
yuzedo: Huh? Cane price keh? undecided

tongue
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by ebamma(m): 9:43am On May 16, 2013
why caine prize, abel prize sounds better

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Occurstaem(m): 9:44am On May 16, 2013
Congratulations to all of them.I Hope Nigeria will dominate.Go make Nigeria proud.
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by wellmax(m): 9:51am On May 16, 2013
Congrats to them. There are still geniuses all over Nigeria.
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by confidant: 9:51am On May 16, 2013
Elnathan! Dis guy eh!
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:51am On May 16, 2013
Kudos guys. Make una continue to do Nigeria proud
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by hoochay: 10:06am On May 16, 2013
boko haram da bomb,while some 4 good guys wt braina are moking nigerio proude,woll done to u goys,am proude of u
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Orikinla(m): 10:08am On May 16, 2013
I tip Chinelo Okparanta to win it.
I have read her short stories and already posted about her on https://www.nairaland.com/1143819/chinelo-okparanta-hottest-nigerian-girl and https://www.nairaland.com/1143965/celebrity-month-chinelo-okparanta

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by ninja4life(m): 10:10am On May 16, 2013
Wow goodluck to dem,its rare to get news of nigerians repping d country well or i'm i wrong
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by vizboy(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2013
goodnews making us proud. But why so many hidden post
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Jarus(m): 10:19am On May 16, 2013
This Elnathan John is one funny dude.

His blog cracks me up:

From his profile:

Elnathan is a writer who trained as a lawyer. Although he is routinely called a journalist, he rejects this title, preferring instead to be called a writer. His works have appeared in ZAM Magazine International, Otis Nebula, Per Contra, and Evergreen Review in addition to numerous Nigerian publications and newspapers. He writes a column for Sunday Trust. He has not won anything. The South African government recently truncated his plans to attend the prestigious Caine Prize Writing workshop to which he was invited. He holds no grudges. In 2008 he hastily self-published an embarrassing collection of short stories which has since gone out of print. He hopes to never repeat that mistake. He has just completed work on a new collection of short stories and is working on a novel. Nobody seems to want to publish his new collection of short stories. This puzzles him. He really loves those stories. Elnathan is touchy about his skin and man boobs and isn't bold enough to grow hair. One of his new goals is getting to a weight below his current 100kg that will not warrant totally changing his wardrobe. He hopes to start a family comprising a partner, no kids and two hairy pets

To his latest blog posts:

Ps. 2. So, I woke up on Friday to find that, (whether due to a virus on her phone, touch screen error, mistaken identity or simply a long night out with the wrong kind of friends and drinks) Rita Dominic of Nollywood started following me on Twitter. At the time of publication, the lovely Nollywood star had not yet realized her error. I have thought deeply about the larger implications of this and the consequences thereof:
1.Since I follow her too, I can send her a Direct Message. This can lead to chats, phone calls, a meeting and even drinks.
2.The probability of playing a role in a Nigerian movie before I become president, albeit waka-pass-ish, is now higher. This will make me like Ronald Reagan. God is good.

The guy funny die cheesy grin cheesy

http://elnathanjohn..com/

Congrats to him on his Caine nomination

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by jaymdee(m): 10:24am On May 16, 2013
Great news at a time of much katakata. God bless una.
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by ceejay80s(m): 10:25am On May 16, 2013
Which one be caine award abi u mean cocaine award
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by kutchs: 10:31am On May 16, 2013
ninja4life: Wow goodluck to dem,its rare to get news of nigerians repping d country well or i'm i wrong
You‘re so so wrong dear. So many good and heartwarming news come out of Nigeria and Nigerians are doing so well repping the country but the main stream media prefer over blow the negatives.
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by ivytechgurl: 10:34am On May 16, 2013
Whwn I see or hear 'Nigerians in diaspora' I feel lyk they mean Naijas confused or lost abroad..loool
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by slap1(m): 10:35am On May 16, 2013
Inspiring news. Great guys! GOODLUCK!
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by jawjaw1: 10:38am On May 16, 2013
To be honest this is the kind of news I want to be reading in the morning.

Congrats to the nominees
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by NaijaNaWaa: 10:47am On May 16, 2013
For once, a foreign nomination on intellectual awards follows federal character.

Praise the Lord
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by semid4lyfe(m): 10:48am On May 16, 2013
?

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by Capnd143(m): 10:48am On May 16, 2013
Most Nigerians are writers are very talented!
I gues why elnathan doesnt want to be called a jounalist is because of the "political brohaha" involved
Re: 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. by semid4lyfe(m): 10:49am On May 16, 2013
Jarus: This Elnathan John is one funny dude.

His blog cracks me up:

From his profile:

Elnathan John:
Elnathan is a writer who trained as a lawyer. Although he is routinely called a journalist, he rejects this title, preferring instead to be called a writer. His works have appeared in ZAM Magazine International, Otis Nebula, Per Contra, and Evergreen Review in addition to numerous Nigerian publications and newspapers. He writes a column for Sunday Trust. He has not won anything. The South African government recently truncated his plans to attend the prestigious Caine Prize Writing workshop to which he was invited. He holds no grudges. In 2008 he hastily self-published an embarrassing collection of short stories which has since gone out of print. He hopes to never repeat that mistake. He has just completed work on a new collection of short stories and is working on a novel. Nobody seems to want to publish his new collection of short stories. This puzzles him. He really loves those stories. Elnathan is touchy about his skin and man bosoms and isn't bold enough to grow hair. One of his new goals is getting to a weight below his current 100kg that will not warrant totally changing his wardrobe. He hopes to start a family comprising a partner, no kids and two hairy pets

To his latest blog posts:

Ps. 2. So, I woke up on Friday to find that, (whether due to a virus on her phone, touch screen error, mistaken identity or simply a long night out with the wrong kind of friends and drinks) Rita Dominic of Nollywood started following me on Twitter. At the time of publication, the lovely Nollywood star had not yet realized her error. I have thought deeply about the larger implications of this and the consequences thereof:
1.Since I follow her too, I can send her a Direct Message. This can lead to chats, phone calls, a meeting and even drinks.
2.The probability of playing a role in a Nigerian movie before I become president, albeit waka-pass-ish, is now higher. This will make me like Ronald Reagan. God is good.

Jarus, I hereby ban you for cracking me up this morning.

On a serious note, I like the guy. A few of his writings have been on Nairaland and his acerbic wit is something else.

The day I can write like him, I'm quitting my 8-5 job.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Legend Of A Hustler - A Series / No Winners For 2016 Etisalat Flash Fiction / BFF's (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.