Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! (7943 Views)

Fiston Mwanza Mujila Bagged The Etisalat Book Prize For ‘tram83’ – Read An Excer / Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by mediainspired: 6:18pm On May 16, 2013
Has anyone noticed that for any book by an African author to get shortlisted or outrightly win any of these book prizes run by the West, the theme and contents must revolve around the negative images they have formed about African and which they repeatedly want to shove down our throats as INFALLIBLE TRUTH? I am talking about themes and imageries of CORRUPTION, SLUM, WAR, INEQUALITY, PROSTITUTION, FRAUD, INTERNET SCAMS,SCAVENGING ON HUGE DUMP SITES, POVERTY AND MORE POVERTY. Check out the winners. From Chimamanda's Half of a Yellow Sun (War) to Í Do Not Come to You By Chance' (I can't remember the author), which was on internet fraud or yahoo yahoo.

So if you are an author and want to get shortlisted quickly, just let your novels be on any of these themes that appeal to these stereotypes mental colonialists, and GBAM! u've struck a chord with them! I read glimpses of these shortlisted novels and with due respect to the author, they read good. But Fantastic? Outstanding? No. Maybe that's me, though. My standards are high - very high. This is my craft and it comes naturally to me. But I refuse to be dictated to in the choice of themes and imageries by these myopic sentiments and biases. I mean, the world is advancing and do they think Africa will be perpetually chained down by these stereotypes they hold of the continent? I don't really blame though. These awards are celebrated because we've not got our own house in order and here mediocre works (and those authored by friends of the exco members) win the ANA awards and the likes. Would Chimamanda Adichie have won and ANA or any other Nigerian award? No, because of the flawed process. But she won a foreign (tag it 'international' if you want) and she became an overnight sensation.

Even though I'm crossed about the whole scenario, I know it's a catch-22 situation. Congrats though to the finalists.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 16, 2013
Chai my fellow igbos..welldone
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by lockedOut: 6:43pm On May 16, 2013
Congrats to them all.....
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by lockedOut: 6:46pm On May 16, 2013
mediainspired: Has anyone noticed that for any book by an African author to get shortlisted or outrightly win any of these book prizes run by the West, the theme and contents must revolve around the negative images they have formed about African and which they repeatedly want to shove down our throats as INFALLIBLE TRUTH? I am talking about themes and imageries of CORRUPTION, SLUM, WAR, INEQUALITY, PROSTITUTION, FRAUD, INTERNET SCAMS,SCAVENGING ON HUGE DUMP SITES, POVERTY AND MORE POVERTY. Check out the winners. From Chimamanda's Half of a Yellow Sun (War) to Í Do Not Come to You By Chance' (I can't remember the author), which was on internet fraud or yahoo yahoo.

So if you are an author and want to get shortlisted quickly, just let your novels be on any of these themes that appeal to these stereotypes mental colonialists, and GBAM! u've struck a chord with them! I read glimpses of these shortlisted novels and with due respect to the author, they read good. But Fantastic? Outstanding? No. Maybe that's me, though. My standards are high - very high. This is my craft and it comes naturally to me. But I refuse to be dictated to in the choice of themes and imageries by these myopic sentiments and biases. I mean, the world is advancing and do they think Africa will be perpetually chained down by these stereotypes they hold of the continent? I don't really blame though. These awards are celebrated because we've not got our own house in order and here mediocre works (and those authored by friends of the exco members) win the ANA awards and the likes. Would Chimamanda Adichie have won and ANA or any other Nigerian award? No, because of the flawed process. But she won a foreign (tag it 'international' if you want) and she became an overnight sensation.

Even though I'm crossed about the whole scenario, I know it's a catch-22 situation. Congrats though to the finalists.

So true, remembered when Richard Quest came to Nigeria he did not show the hotel he was staying at Ikoyi rather he went to Oshodi just to show how backward the country is. I am not saying Nigeria is a paradise on earth, at times their stereotyping is just too plain to see! Kudos once again to the nominees one day NTA will tell our stories better than CNN, BBC and Aljazeera does.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by AbuMikey(m): 7:32pm On May 16, 2013
Am so loving the success of these NIGERIAN writers.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Chinom(m): 7:56pm On May 16, 2013
babyosisi: Achebe must be smiling

Congrats folks
The girl has a typical South African look

Yea ! I noticed it too. Straight up Soweto. Love that look. Very natural. Congratulations to both writers.

1 Like

Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by eaglechild: 8:09pm On May 16, 2013
Obiagu1:

She was so quick to click on the link with smiles on her face and with words in her mouth, words filled with now trite praises of how superior her people is; the greatest people to ever walk on this earth.
There and behold, the first name sounds familiar. With the quickness of finger of an experienced gamer, she scrolled down to see who the next nominee was. She paused for a while staring blankly into her screen, disappointed and jealous, she uttered a hiss.
By this time, her fingers were ready to type, but lacking the coordination of her partially inactive brain cells, words were written that could not hide her envy towards a people that keep breaking her heart.
LWKMD
Epic

4 Likes

Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by rhymz(m): 8:17pm On May 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Nothing new.......same Romeo and Juliet story. Copy and paste

But congratulations
you are so full of hate and bitterness even for people that do not care if you exist. na wa o
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Orikinla(m): 8:35pm On May 16, 2013
slap1: Kudos! One of us is also on the short story category. Goodluck. Next year, I will be there. Amen!

Amen.

1 Like

Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Orikinla(m): 8:36pm On May 16, 2013
Nigerian writers have been the trail blazers for nation building.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Ndipe(m): 10:20pm On May 16, 2013
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Nothing new.......same Romeo and Juliet story. Copy and paste

But congratulations

You're right, the second story is quite cliche.

But hey, whatever the Commonwealth wants.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by Otses(f): 6:04am On May 17, 2013
Congrats to them and the Literary world in Nigeria.
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by slap1(m): 6:42am On May 17, 2013
Ndipe: Dr. Sule E. Egya wins the prize.

http://kiyoandfilo..com/2013/05/dr-sule-e-egya-nigerian-has-emerged.html

That's the Regional (best work from Africa) Prize. The overall winner is yet to be announced. I tip Dr. Sule for the overall prize. The theme of his story is similar to what I'm currently working on. Over-goodluck to him!
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by prettyabc(f): 8:39pm On May 17, 2013
Wao! So happy 4 dem. Congrats!
Re: 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! by luvmijeje(f): 5:31am On May 18, 2013
Hmmm, I can't wait to read it, congrats for making your country and yourselves proud.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sequel: Behind Her Veil / THE LONG WAIT / S?X Village, An Erotic Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.