Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Windows Phone 8 Users Review. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Windows Phone 8 Users Review. (3436 Views)

Nokia Lumia 620 Announced = Cheapest Windows Phone 8 Device / Blackberry Torch 9810(torch 2) Users Review / Samsung Galaxy S2 Users Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by TrebleChamp(m): 7:21am On May 18, 2013
Hello nairalanders, pls can we get (users) review on d features of windows phone 8 OS?
1. How good is d multitasking e.g how many apps can i run at the same time?
2. Can i transfer and receive files through blutooth?
3. Can i play HD games like Temple Run 2, Shadow Gun, GTA, etc
4. Does the OS allow apps to run at the background like Android does (those running apps consume alot of data and its really annoying)?
5. Do we get some of the features of windows 8 like microsoft office and all?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Ilaje44(m): 8:02am On May 18, 2013
TrebleChamp: Hello nairalanders, pls can we get (users) review on d features of windows phone 8 OS?
1. How good is d multitasking e.g how many apps can i run at the same time?
2. Can i transfer and receive files through blutooth?
3. Can i play HD games like Temple Run 2, Shadow Gun, GTA, etc
4. Does the OS allow apps to run at the background like Android does (those running apps consume alot of data and its really annoying)?
5. Do we get some of the features of windows 8 like microsoft office and all?
Thanks in advance.

Hello,
Windows Phone 8 (wp8) does not allow Multitasking like you have in Android, but it does allow some level of multi tasking.

Yes you can transfer data through bluetooth, but due to security reason, not all file formats are allowed.

The game you can play depends on availability and your own hardware. In theory, you can play all games on all WP8 devices. However, in some very rare cases, games do require a minimum of 1gb of RAM. That would mean devices like Nokia Lumia 52x, 62x, 72x; HTC 8S, Huawei W1 are left out of the action. Generally, games do play very smoothly on all WP devices, even better than on equivalent Android devices.

Some apps do work in the background, but you can control which app is allowed to work in the background, except the essential ones that the OS requires. It is advisable to limit the amount of background apps, so as to avoid quicker battery drain. If you are a Skype user, you would like how it works on wp8.

Microsoft Office is never a feature of Windows. It is an independent programme by itself. However, mobile office is bundled with wp8 @ no extra cost. You have WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT and ONE NOTE bundled with wp8 and Windows RT only. For all other Windows, you have to purchase Office separately.

5 Likes

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by TrebleChamp(m): 8:45am On May 18, 2013
@Ilaje44 This is all i need to know, thanks so much boss.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Najwal: 9:33am On May 18, 2013
finally a thread 4 windows phone 8. Tanks alot 4 dat info nw i can purchase mine wit ease. Plz are all d feastures of wp8 available wit our network here in nigeria coz i heard some features myt not b available base on ur country n service provider. Plz i need to knw tanks.

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Trendy247: 6:42pm On Jun 26, 2013
why was this this thread buried?
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by sexicated: 6:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
Pls guyz am on windows 7 phone... Htc HD7 but am unable 2 receive songs nd download songs...pls any1 who has a v.gud knowledge abt d phone shld holla
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Trendy247: 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
nobody dey use windows phone for nairaland
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by LordReed(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2013
Where are WP8 users? Abi una no like una phone again?
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by jmaine: 9:56am On Jul 14, 2013
A WP8 user here . . .any issues undecided
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by TrebleChamp(m): 10:25am On Jul 14, 2013
Lord_Reed: Where are WP8 users? Abi una no like una phone again?
Android don colonize everybody oh.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by pacioti: 11:34am On Jul 14, 2013
I hate wp with passion bcause of lack of app,my broda wasted 38k on lumia 620, poor ba3 no 3g booster app and alot of register dis nd dat, u gat to pay for any gud app unlike android.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Rockyfancino(m): 11:45am On Jul 14, 2013
i appeal to the mods to move this to front page so that we can learn about windows phone 8 from the Nigerian perspective.. thanks

2 Likes

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by pacioti: 12:23pm On Jul 14, 2013
Seconded
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by jmaine: 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
pacioti: I hate wp with passion bcause of lack of app,my broda wasted 38k on lumia 620, poor ba3 no 3g booster app and alot of register dis nd dat, u gat to pay for any gud app unlike android.

A lil research would have shown your bruv the phone though cute came with a low capacity battery.

My app needs are covered in the windows ecosphere with more apps coming to the stores.

The main game change will be in 2014 when the Windows Blue update seeks to unify the Windows phone 8, Windows 8/,Windows 8RT experience.

I love my Lumia device

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by RedCard1(m): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2013
sexicated: Pls guyz am on windows 7 phone... Htc HD7 but am unable 2 receive songs nd download songs...pls any1 who has a v.gud knowledge abt d phone shld holla
my brother is having same problem with HD7. I want to get a Nokia Lumia 520 but I heard dat one can't download songs with it, you can't set a song as ring tone, YouTube doesn't work fine, social networking isn't ok, etc. Please is it true? I need a reply cos I want to get the phone. Thanks.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by jmaine: 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2013
. . .
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by jmaine: 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2013
Red_Card: my brother is having same problem with HD7. I want to get a Nokia Lumia 520 but I heard dat one can't download songs with it, you can't set a song as ring tone, YouTube doesn't work fine, social networking isn't ok, etc. Please is it true? I need a reply cos I want to get the phone. Thanks.

1) Youtube works perfectly fine, as a matter of fact, Microsoft and google are collaborating to perfect the user experience of the Youtube app in WP after an earlier altercation between both players.

2) The Windows phone 8 has one of the best social networking integration via the Peoples Hub. A concept so great that blackberry considered it cardinal to include it in their current BB 10 iterations.

3) You can set your songs as ringtone via two means
a) Using the ringtone Maker via the stores. All it does is to edit your songs to a sizable 60 secs duration according your choice.

b) Simply copy your songs to your ringtone folder in the phone via PC and it will appear on the ringtone menu

4) With UCweb browser, i do download certain videos on my device.

Lumia 520 is an awesome phone for that price range cos the User experience is very fluid. My only grouse is the lack of flash in the camera, though the camera quality is very good for a 5MP device.

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by RedCard1(m): 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
jmaine:

1) Youtube works perfectly fine, as a matter of fact, Microsoft and google are collaborating to perfect the user experience of the Youtube app in WP after an earlier altercation between both players.

2) The Windows phone 8 has one of the best social networking integration via the Peoples Hub. A concept so great that blackberry considered it cardinal to include it in their current BB 10 iterations.

3) You can set your songs as ringtone via two means
a) Using the ringtone Maker via the stores. All it does is to edit your songs to a sizable 60 secs duration according your choice.

b) Simply copy your songs to your ringtone folder in the phone via PC and it will appear on the ringtone menu

4) With UCweb browser, i do download certain videos on my device.

Lumia 520 is an awesome phone for that price range cos the User experience is very fluid. My only grouse is the lack of flash in the camera, though the camera quality is very good for a 5MP device.
thanks.....
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by UchihaItachi(m): 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2013
Has anyone had any problem updating or downloading apps from store? Cos i've been getting this annoying error message each time i try downloading for days now..
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by hancock(m): 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2013
Just got my first windows phone today. Nokia lumia 920. What a beauty shocked
Will follow this thread keenly in the coming days grin

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Elvin247(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2013
hancock: Just got my first windows phone today. Nokia lumia 920. What a beauty shocked
Will follow this thread keenly in the coming days grin

i got mine 2weeks ago but my camera flash only works wen it feels like... Pls does ur own hav d same probs... Cos I discovered that so many lumia 920 owners complain of d same problem.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by hancock(m): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2013
Elvin247:

i got mine 2weeks ago but my camera flash only works wen it feels like... Pls does ur own hav d same probs... Cos I discovered that so many lumia 920 owners complain of d same problem.

I'm just charging it for now. Will let you know as soon I lay my hands on it
PS: I don't even have a micro sim yet. Oh we'll will probably make out time and visit MTN's office tmrw
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Nobody: 12:39am On Jul 16, 2013
Pls guys am about to buy Nokia Lumia.
I so much need your advice.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Elvin247(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2013
hancock:

I'm just charging it for now. Will let you know as soon I lay my hands on it
PS: I don't even have a micro sim yet. Oh we'll will probably make out time and visit MTN's office tmrw
i used scissors to convert my sim to micro sim
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Elxandre(m): 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
guys! tell us about app availability and the alledged poor browser options...How does this OS truly fare against Android in real life use?.. Do you find using just the default IE browser sufficient?
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by LordReed(m): 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Elxandre: guys! tell us about app availability and the alledged poor browser options...How does this OS truly fare against Android in real life use?.. Do you find using just the default IE browser sufficient?

On WP7 the browser refuses to open IP addresses ie 192.168.122.111. If it carried over to WP8 then thats 1 more reason I'll dislike WP8.
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by autumnflower(f): 6:42am On Jul 20, 2013
Mods front page now!! Haba!!

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by Gerrard59(m): 5:15am On Nov 02, 2013
Please house, how can one send music,videos and pixs to another phone thru bluetooth?
Thnks very much
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by khanivorous(f): 3:00pm On Nov 02, 2013
I just got a new nokia lumia 820...are there any browsing cheats available?

Please help a soul
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by opinchinoo(m): 1:29pm On Nov 04, 2013
Gerrard59: Please house, how can one send music,videos and pixs to another phone thru bluetooth?
Thnks very much
switch on ur Bluetooth first in settings and den u AR gud to go
Re: Windows Phone 8 Users Review. by DJEhimond(m): 12:13am On Nov 17, 2013
I use a 520 and I'm so cool with it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Wrong With Glo Can't Access Facebook And Other Websites / Tecno P9 (a.k.a) Phablet Released! / Do U See New Google Logo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.