Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,086 members, 7,842,117 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option (1259 Views)

Mother Raises The Alarm As Rapist-husband Walks Free (pictured) / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) / Serial Rapist Sentenced To 1,535 Years In Jail In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2008
angryHmm, na wa o, see the kind of sentence a rapist of a 9-month old baby gets. Anyway, this is Nigeria angry sad

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Develo-pment, Hajiya Saudatu Usman Bungudu, has decried the judgment handed down by an Upper Area Court in Lafia, Nasarawa State in the case of rape of a nine-month-old baby.
The court had sentenced the rapist, 27-year-old Stephen Takure, to 12 months in prison with an option of N3000 fine.
Speaking at the 2007/2008 ministerial press briefing in Abuja yesterday to highlight the achievements of the ministry, Bungudu said the judgment was “unbelievable”.
She said the National Judicial Council (NJC) had been petitioned to review the case.
According to her, “Such light sentence cannot deter others and as mothers, we must rise up and reject this reoccurring violation of our daughters.”
She lamented that despite the fact that Nasarawa State had passed the Child Rights Law, which advocates life sentence for rapists, the court deemed it fit to “practically set the rapist free in spite of the trauma he had caused this baby”.
Bungudu reiterated the commitment of the Yar’Adua administration to protect the rights of women especially against violence and all forms of domestic abuses.
The Director General of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Dr. Carol Ndaguba, in her goodwill message said the agency’s collaboration with the women ministry was very productive, especially as the agency is empowered to carry out enforcement measures to protect women and children.
The incidents of rape of children and women are on the increase and women groups are calling for the enforcement and strengthening of legislation concerning it.[/b]

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=109517
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by angel101(f): 8:39pm On Apr 23, 2008
WHAT!!!! angry
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 23, 2008
Was the court on drugs?
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by EloSela(f): 10:37pm On Apr 23, 2008
Only in Nigeria. One can be a mass murderer at get off scot free. . . for enough naira.
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Lady2(f): 2:04am On Apr 24, 2008
Was the court on drugs?

I'm beginning to think so

Only in Nigeria. One can be a mass murderer at get off scot free. . . for enough naira.

Not only in Nigeria. A 14 year old boy was beaten and killed by guards at a juvenile boot camp and the nurse was cheering them on, Florida, USA. It was caught on video tape, but they walked away FREE.
Don't jump to conclusions and condmen Nigeria just like that. Not everything is from Bribery, some can be from plain stupidity. I believe the latter is the situation here.

After that being said

WHAT AN OUTRAGE? ARE THEY KIDDING? WHAT KIIND OF INJUSTICE IS THIS TO THAT POOR BABY?
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by nwandolina(f): 2:08am On Apr 24, 2008
This is why people are forced sometimes to take the law into their own hands.
I can assure you that if this were in Igboland, that man will not live to pay that fine.
He doesn't deserve to live!
Any man that rapes any underaged person,in this case a mere infant deserves jungle justice if the courts are unable to punish such crimes.
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by RichyBlacK(m): 3:07am On Apr 24, 2008
nwandolina:

This is why people are forced sometimes to take the law into their own hands.
I can assure you that if this were in Igboland, that man will not live to pay that fine.
He doesn't deserve to live!
Any man that rapes any underaged person,in this case a mere infant deserves jungle justice if the courts are unable to punish such crimes.

Nwando, go check your facts right on Igbo laws and customs. The penalty for rape is exile not death. Even for murder, the penalty is exile - the maximum penalty. The death penalty has no place in Igbo laws and customs. The maximum penalty is exile or banishment - sometimes the whole family of the guilty are banished.
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Kobojunkie: 3:24am On Apr 24, 2008
I am gonna go ahead and accept that you have never actually lived in Igbo land, have you LMAO!!!!
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by RichyBlacK(m): 3:32am On Apr 24, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am going to go ahead and accept that you have never actually lived in Igbo land, have you LMAO!!!!

Well, I'm talking from the traditional perspective. Today, tyrants from Onitsha to Aba have hijacked the traditional way of life. Of course criminals are everywhere, who may lynch a suspected thief, burning his corpse in mob rage - that is not the traditional Igbo society I'm referring to. But the fact remains that traditional Igbo laws and customs do not have the death penalty. Mind you, human sacrifice, as practiced in traditional Igbo societies has nothing to do with sentencing someone to death, but everything to do with appeasing the gods. I don yarn you the koko wink.
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by almondjoy(f): 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2008
I thought Americans where the only rapists in Iraq and the rest of the world? shocked

So Nigeria has pediphilic rapists too?

No kidding! What is Yaradua's business with protecting the rights of women and children, when his compound is jam packed like a mormon compound full of wives and children he has not seen in like 20 years? cheesy

Yet, Nigerians will shout civil rights abuse and point fingers at others!

Hypocrites!

Too bad no moderator for this section. . . this thread belongs in the "Crime" section!

I just realised this is a MOHADANA thread! God forbid ma presence here. . . .

Zooms off. . . never to return!
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by SENATORJD(m): 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2008
3k?3k? for rape?nawa for this country at times embarassedwhat message are we passing to the outside world, i onder how the parents of this babey wud feel.
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by FBS: 1:59pm On Apr 24, 2008
terrible!!! the case will be reviewed definitely, !!!!
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by grafikdon: 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2008
almondjoy:

I just realised this is a MOHADANA thread! God forbid ma presence here. . . .

Zooms off. . . never to return!

LMAO!!! grin grin cheesy
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by lucabrasi(m): 1:38am On Apr 27, 2008
the problem is that laws protecting the rights of the less vulnerable i.e women and kids need to be looked at and strenghtened but in a country where there is a lot of things wrong the bigger problems are being sorted out first and in adittion we still have leaders that are stuck to the old school who believe if a girl is raped cause she has a short skirt on ,she brought it on herself,or that a husband cannot be raped by the wife, we need moral crusaders and charity groups to keep putting pressure on the various organs of the government , even in the united kingdom of the 1800s children of below 12 were shipped with hardened criminals to australia and some were sentenced to life imprisonment before the likes of jeremy bentham and co kept on putting pressure on the govt and they strenghtened the laws
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Dreloaded(f): 1:43am On Apr 27, 2008
It's things like this that makes Nigeria disgusting

woman consensually sleeps with another man, she can be stoned to death with even Oprah having to intervene

However a BABY is raped by some psycho and all he does is pay a fine? The hell is this shit?
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by Radiant(f): 1:46am On Apr 27, 2008
Tell me this is a joke . . . . angry embarassed shocked
Re: Baby Rapist Sentenced To 1 Year In Prison, Gets N3000 Fine Option by vikiviko(m): 3:49pm On Apr 28, 2008
The laws needs to be reviewed.

(1) (Reply)

Market Where Human Parts Are Sold In London ‘viewer Discretion Is Advised’ / Fraudster Suspects--- We Have Insiders In Commercial Banks / 3 Nigerians Deported For E-shopping Fraud In India (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.