Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,426 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:47 PM

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians (13276 Views)

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You A Better Person / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe / 13 Harsh Reasons Why You Are Nowhere Near Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 12:59pm On May 20, 2013
Here are some interesting perceptions about people who have no study or work experience outside Nigeria. Note, this is a generalization that was observed by some foreigners working in some MNCs in Nigeria and told to me. See, it is always very interesting to see how others observe you, without flipping your lid. While some of the assertions are downright unfair, some kind of hit close to home. See the general list below:

1. We are generally crude and unsophisticated.

2. We are usually rude, and aggressive. In fact, we mistake aggression for self-confidence.

3. We usually show blatant disregard for office protocols. This can be anything from coming late to meetings, not paying attention to detail, or blatant disregard for instructions.

4. We are mavericks, and we like to improvise on everything. A detailed planning process is anathema to Nigerians. We just make up stuff as we go along, riding our luck all the way grin Now the worst of it: not only do we not have a plan, we usually reject plans from anywhere else, insisting on our no-plan paradigm cheesy

5. We are unnecessarily opinionated about everything, even when we should not be. In Nigeria you hear stuff like 'This cannot work here; you have to consider the Nigerian factor'. Even when someone is floating an idea, getting constant feedback like that can be disheartening, especially if you are paying the person for his opinion embarassed.

6. We respond much more positively to threats than to incentives. Imagine, it is assumed that you get a better response from Nigerians if you threaten to fire them, than if you promise to multiply their salary. Or to put it differently, you get better results when you threaten Nigerians than when you promise them stuff.

7. We are untrustworthy and lack basic integrity. This one is rather cliche, if you get my meaning.

8. We project desperation at all times, and fight over every little thing. Also kind of cliche.

Are you feeling totally pissed already? I was. Why don't you think about it and say if you agree to any of those assertions or not. In fact, feel free to add some others if you can think of any more wink

10 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by esere826: 1:05pm On May 20, 2013
@OP

My observations (with a lot of generalization from me):
AjanleKoko:
1. We are generally crude and unsophisticated.
2. We are usually rude, and aggressive. In fact, we mistake aggression for self-confidence.
3. We usually show blatant disregard for office protocols. This can be anything from coming late to meetings, not paying attention to detail, or blatant disregard for instructions.
4. We are mavericks, and we like to improvise on everything. A detailed planning process is anathema to Nigerians. We just make up stuff as we go along, riding our luck all the way grin Now the worst of it: not only do we not have a plan, we usually reject plans from anywhere else, insisting on our no-plan paradigm cheesy
I wholly agree with these

5. We are unnecessarily opinionated about everything, even when we should not be. In Nigeria you hear stuff like 'This cannot work here; you have to consider the Nigerian factor'. Even when someone is floating an idea, getting constant feedback like that can be disheartening, especially if you are paying the person for his opinion embarassed.
umhhhhhh... my experience is that this is not peculiar to the nigerian work environment

6. We respond much more positively to threats than to incentives. Imagine, it is assumed that you get a better response from Nigerians if you threaten to fire them, than if you promise to multiply their salary. Or to put it differently, you get better results when you threaten Nigerians than when you promise them stuff.
My experience tells me that many react well to threats than to reason. I am not sure about us not responding to increased pay sha

7. We are untrustworthy and lack basic integrity. This one is rather cliche, if you get my meaning.
Not unique to us. I have also noticed this in other country work environments. No difference. They are howver more subtle about it

8. We project desperation at all times, and fight over every little thing. Also kind of cliche.
Some foreigners actually mistake our love for drama to mean fights. I have seen a number of Italians behave this way too, and the Brits shrug it off as being dramatic

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 1:28pm On May 20, 2013
^^
Spot on.

Especially on the 7 and 8. The problem we have is, Point 1 makes us way too overt, so normal attitudes and frictions look a lot bigger when you're dealing with Nigerians. Sort of like two people in a fender-bender in Lagos. They spend half the time cursing each other and screaming (even though the situation will eventually be amicably resolved 9 times out of 10).

Italians are also quite rude, loud, and dramatic, while Spaniards are mean and sulky grin

On the issue of threats rather than reason. I was thinking, government officials. I know for a fact that the pay structure of, say, the police, has been handsomely reviewed to a reasonable extent. Not stupendous, but I do know that the days of a police constable earning 10k naira are long gone. But the attitudes are as bad as ever.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 20, 2013
Might have zero work experience outside naija...as an adult, but when you're exposed to a lot of foreign stuff and remove your mindset from Nigeria (think of how to export cars instead of religion) to think outside the box you see a lot of truths in the 10 points raised.

2. We are usually rude, and aggressive...
True its a Nigerian thing. A vicious cycle the way we were raised/raise our kids. saying thank you is alien to us and we feel shouting down others is part of being sharp(aka no slacking...dulling).

True, we can't form/respect simple queues. its the "do you know who i am?" blood in us.

So damn true. we can't do simple things right because we believe the system does not work...merit is not respected in Naija. aka we can't function unsupervised...so only a sledge hammer gets us in line.

True, Oga anything for me? Everyone wants to chop something and just can't be cool. No wonder serve your self is a disaster at Nigerian weddings with everyone wanting to nick stuff to "take away" home.

4 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by finestboy1: 8:35pm On May 20, 2013
^^Thats so Spot on. We are never organized and Orderly in the manner we do things in Nigeria. grin
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by heisenberg33: 10:47pm On May 20, 2013
I agree very much with numbers 1-6 on your list so much, with special attention to 2 and 6. In Nigeria, being rude and aggressive shows smartness or street wisdom. Nice write up.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by birdman(m): 1:39am On May 21, 2013
I agree completely with 1-5. Nigerians generally dont realize how brash (and sometimes annoying) they are until they leave the country. And this is true not just in the west, but other African countries. You almost want to "sapas" the yam heads grin. I'm curious as to which the OP thinks is actually true of Nigerians
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 8:18am On May 21, 2013
birdman: grin. I'm curious as to which the OP thinks is actually true of Nigerians

With the exception of 1 and 2, I am not sure that everything else on the list can be said to be 'unique to Nigerians'.
I get around a lot, interact with different races, and I see a lot of these behaviours in other races as well. Even so-called first world people.

The only ones that I am particularly concerned about is 1 and 2. If you get those two right, you can mask a lot of bad traits grin wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Okijajuju: 11:44am On May 21, 2013
Locally trained Nigerians!! What can I say! Its sad but true.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by olumaxi(m): 11:47am On May 21, 2013
God bles my country(nigeria)..other countries that cant cope wit my citizens should go to hel

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by saintneo(m): 11:49am On May 21, 2013
Totally opposite of all these prior to me sojourn abroad.....still the same dude with greater refinements.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by yuzedo: 11:49am On May 21, 2013
We have big badonkey! wink wink wink
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:50am On May 21, 2013
Are you describing goodluck Jonathan

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:50am On May 21, 2013
I'd say these behaviours are common with many Nigerians, regardless of whether they are "locally trained" or trained overseas.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by yuzedo: 11:52am On May 21, 2013
Bro, i was outside the country the other day and got "seduced" by a girl, well, we ended up in my hotel room and when i off my boxers she shout "JEEEESOS! Are you from Nigeria?? Omg, what? You want to injure me with dat NEPA pole?!?! No no, i not do again." True story bro, true story! angry embarassed
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 11:54am On May 21, 2013
yuzedo: Bro, i was outside the country the other day and got "seduced" by a girl, well, we ended up in my hotel room and when i off my boxers she shout "JEEEESOS! Are you from Nigeria?? Omg, what? You want to injure me with dat NEPA pole?!?! No no, i not do again." True story bro, true story! angry embarassed

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must have been in Ghana or Sierra Leone, for the gal to be speaking pidgin grin

Try not to derail tho angry

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 11:56am On May 21, 2013
pro01: I'd say these behaviours are common with many Nigerians, regardless of whether they are "locally trained" or trained overseas.
with time, the overseas trained Nigerian start behaving like the locally trained Nigerian. I am a living witness.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Ilaje44(m): 11:57am On May 21, 2013
olumaxi: God bles my country(nigeria)..other countries that cant cope wit my citizens should go to hel

A ko i ko Ifa nile, Ifa ti nse. Ara ohun a ng wi re o.

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by olumaxi(m): 11:59am On May 21, 2013
Ilaje44:

A ko i ko Ifa nile, Ifa ti nse. Ara ohun a ng wi re o.
e je tete ko ifa nile,cos awon omo aye a tefa loju mo le

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by coogar: 11:59am On May 21, 2013
locally-trained nigerians are crass, poorly-trained, unruly, never punctual and can be very envious of the foreign-trained nigerians!

6 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by blackbeau1(f): 12:00pm On May 21, 2013
it is never right to take the blame. always blame the other man for your inability to get things done in the office. if theres no one to blame,blame your compuuter or anything else.just dont take the blame
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Okijajuju: 12:02pm On May 21, 2013
yuzedo: Bro, i was outside the country the other day and got "seduced" by a girl, well, we ended up in my hotel room and when i off my boxers she shout "JEEEESOS! Are you from Nigeria?? Omg, what? You want to injure me with dat NEPA pole?!?! No no, i not do again." True story bro, true story! angry embarassed

You must be a locally trained Nigerian. Foreign trained Nigerians dont have NEPA pole, they only have small antenna.

grin

4 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 21, 2013
On a sunny day in Falomo.... grin

1 Like

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by yuzedo: 12:05pm On May 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must have been in Ghana or Sierra Leone, for the gal to be speaking pidgin grin

Try not to derail tho angry
She was wight!!!! undecided kinda undecided Sorry for derail bro! grin Tenk for being under standing and quite mature, we needs more MODs like u. I invite u to my Banana Island man shun later to eat tucky and duck meet! wink

@Topick: I AGREE WITH ALLLLLLLL your points bro! Nigerias are grate people! wink Cheers. angry

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by tuagbo: 12:06pm On May 21, 2013
These aren't cliches,they are just features/characteristics of the average nigerian(both male and female,young and old).You didn't add physically and intellectually lazy to the list.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by ITbomb(m): 12:13pm On May 21, 2013

4. We are mavericks, and we like to improvise on everything. A detailed planning process is anathema to Nigerians. We just make up stuff as we go along, riding our luck all the way
4 and 7 are very correct.
Infact a successful businessman in Nigeria is seen as one who could come out of any unplanned event successfully and they are just too many of the unplanned events. And also one who is smartest is the one who by all means outsmart the others either in pricing of delivery of goods.
We dont care about building trust in the simplest matter say "you will return my screwdriver in the next 10mins" and for 4 hours no sign of the person. We just dont have the comprehension of time.
For some people giving deadline is more of a commitment to deliver in the first instance than delivering on that specific time. You hear like, "give me one minute" when you know walking to to his office alone will take 2 mins.
It is just bad, I worked with a man who didnt believe in procedure, he just say when they money comes we shall negotiate on how to deliver and a wise businessman will not put his money into a blackbox

And you forgot, We are diehard sycophants , like oga at the top, as long as the person on top is leting u get some favour everything he does is good and we dont know the difference between Jealousy and Criticism

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 21, 2013
Now you know why Nigeria as a country isn't working. Why there is voilence everywhere and why our infrastructure is the way it is. What was not in the list are Greed and being selfish. We can blame government all we want (and they should be blamed) but if you want to see one of Nigeria's greatest problems, just look into the mirror.

3 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by SisiKill1: 12:18pm On May 21, 2013
You forgot to add - We take any form of Criticism as Jealousy and if that doesn't work, we default to the "It could have been worse, so let's thank God" mindset or the "We are not the only ones who do this" mode.

4. We are mavericks, and we like to improvise on everything. A detailed planning process is anathema to Nigerians. We just make up stuff as we go along, riding our luck all the way Now the worst of it: not only do we not have a plan, we usually reject plans from anywhere else, insisting on our no-plan paradigm

If by Luck you mean - Fasting and Praying, handkerchiefing and anointing, brimstone and fire invoking, then yeah...you are on point.

2 Likes

Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by Truckpusher(m): 12:22pm On May 21, 2013
tuagbo: These aren't cliches,they are just features/characteristics of the average nigerian(both male and female,young and old).You didn't add physically and intellectually lazy to the list.
we're not asking frustrated folks to comment....say something reasonable or you shut it and stop the hating.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by caesaraba(m): 12:26pm On May 21, 2013
Numbers 1, 3 and 7 are so spot on. Same sets of reasons why I fired an employee recently.
Re: A Harsh Take On Locally-Trained Nigerians by 1forall: 12:27pm On May 21, 2013
I agree with all the points raised and I am not pissed. Rather I am glad that someone has been observant and patient enough to put these points together in one place in good detail. Most times this issue is discussed we address a few points in isolation, but seeing them broken down this way helps to appreciate the extent of the problems.

These attributes are a fair description of the average Nigerian, and to those reasoning that some other peoples are the same or worse, I'd say that's none of our business - why should we compare ourselves to bad or worse anyway? Why not with better? Isn't that a demonstration of some of the points already?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Get Good Real Estate Income: Training & Employment Opportunity [Residual Income] / Share Your First Day At Work Experience. / Difference Between Product Development And Product Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.