Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened (5601 Views)

20 Of The Worlds' Most Amazing Coincidences / Name One Thing That Happened This Year, You Won't Forget / Creepy Pasta Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 6:33am On May 22, 2013
The rational part of our brain tells us that there is nothing weird about coincidences; when you have all of human history to work with, you're going to find some spooky "What are the odds?" situations. But as we've mentioned before, it doesn't change the fact that some of these are truly and deeply weird. Like ...

#5. The Curse of the Dragon

Martial-arts legend and enemy-to-shirts-everywhere Bruce Lee might now be as famous for his "cursed" family as he was for punching people while screaming. We've written before about how his final movie coincidentally predicted the freak accident that would kill his own son Brandon two decades later. To recap: Lee's character in the movie is killed when a real gun is substituted for a prop gun, causing him to get shot for real. Lee's son would later be killed when a prop gun misfired on the set of The Crow -- not exactly a common cause of death in the modern world. But the more you learn about the Lee "curse," the freakier it gets.

First, Bruce Lee was born on November 27, 1940 during the Year and the Hour of the Dragon. This might explain why Bruce's full Chinese name translates to "Lee's Little Dragon"; however, his parents always insisted on calling him Sai Fon (Small Phoenix), which is technically a girl's name. What seems at first like a dick move on the part of his parents to emasculate baby Bruce was actually a common defensive technique against demons in Chinese culture. Bruce's wife Linda wrote in her biography, The Bruce Lee Story: "Mr. and Mrs. Lee had lost their first son, and according to Chinese tradition when future sons are born, they are often addressed by a girl's name in order to confuse the spirits who might steal away their souls." Why do we bring all of this up? Well ...

Where it Gets Really Weird:

Linda Lee approved the making of a movie about Bruce Lee's life entitled Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. Throughout the movie, Bruce battles a metaphorical demon that haunts his family, but during a final confrontation, the monster loses interest in fighting Bruce and instead goes after his son Brandon.

His constant mirror-breaking wasn't doing his family any favors either.

OK, you say, it's kind of tasteless that they would actually make a movie that included Brandon's real-life tragic death (and to blame it on a demon, no less), but what's so spooky about it? Well, that's the thing: Brandon was still alive and well when they shot the movie. The whole "Lee family demon is coming for Brandon next" was written and shot before he had his freak accident.

In fact, Brandon's death happened less than two months before the release of Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. The filmmakers dedicated the movie to him, and when asked about the bizarre coincidence director Rob Cohen commented: "I believe in some forms of higher power, like Fate and sometimes, I'm embarrassed to say it, God." Yes, it's so much more comforting to believe in a god who carries out elaborate murder vendettas against random families.

"Guess I'll just go after Bill Hicks now."

i.crackedcdn.com
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 6:55am On May 22, 2013
#4. The Vast, Left-Handed Conspiracy

By now we've cycled through enough American presidents that we've got a big enough sample-set to start pulling out patterns. For instance, it turns out we really like blue- and green-eyed leaders, since we've only elected 5 presidents with brown eyes ever, in the history of the United States. To be fair though, blue or hazel eyes among white men aren't that uncommon, and we've historically been pretty gung-ho about electing white men. They're not nearly as rare as, say, being left-handed.

While only 10 percent of the U.S. population is left-handed, you'd never know it just by looking at American presidents. It turns out that over half of the last 14 presidents were all lefties, and recently, five of the last seven presidents were left-handed. Keep in mind that up until the 1970s, kids were still forced to become right-handed in school, so it took a special kind of stubbornness to remain a southpaw into adulthood.

[b]The scissors situation is enough to break most children.[b]

In fact, in most recent elections you really didn't have a choice, since over the past two decades, nearly every presidential candidate has been left-handed. In 2008, both Barack Obama and John McCain were left-handed. In 1992, all three candidates for president were lefties: Bill Clinton, George H. W. Bush, and dear old Ross Perot.

We have some more pictures of Clinton using his left hand, but none of them are work-safe.

What are the odds? They're so long that the nation would never see something like that again until ... the very next election. As you may remember, 1996 Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole was left-handed, running against the incumbent, Ole' Leftie Bill. What the hell? It's not like there's some cultural bias toward left-handers -- we bet most of you had no idea any of these people were even left-handed at all, until we told you.

So what's the only other answer if not bizarre coincidence? That left-handers are secretly a superior race who are naturally born to rule the other 90 percent of society?

i.crackedcdn.com

[size=1pt]lalasticlala[/size]
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 6:56am On May 22, 2013
#3. John F. Kennedy's Eerily Accurate Assassination Theory

The JFK assassination has made Encyclopedia Browns and Nancy Drews out of more conspiracy theorists than you can shake a second rifle at. That said, if you are expecting some big conspiracy-salad of government agencies and secret societies here, then you will be sorely disappointed. This coincidence comes from the lips of John F. Kennedy himself, just hours before his assassination.

According to "Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye," by White House aides Kenneth P. O'Donnell and David F. Powers, when the Kennedys arrived in Dallas in 1963, they opened up the local Dallas Morning News and found a full-page anti-Kennedy advertisement "bordered in black, like a funeral notice."

P.S. That was an ironic "welcome."

Sounds like pretty poor taste for any occasion, never mind for the arrival of a president, right? Well, it turns out nobody knew what kind of hostile territory they were entering better than the president himself.

The ad rattled Jacqueline Kennedy more than the president. In fact, he tried to calmly reassure the First Lady that everything would be fine with these ominously prophetic words: "We're entering nut country today. But, Jackie, if somebody wants to shoot me from a window with a rifle, nobody can stop it, so why worry about it?" Apparently, he was a Mad fan.

That exchange took place on the morning of November 22, 1963. As you probably know, Kennedy was assassinated that afternoon by a rifle fired from the window of the Texas School Book Depository. And if you're thinking, "Well, duh, how else would you assassinate a world leader?" The answer is, "basically any other way but that." Seriously, here's a huge list of prominent assassination attempts over the centuries. It's always a nut charging the guy with a pistol or knife (see: Lincoln) or some convoluted plot involving a bomb that never works (see: Hitler).

As far as we can tell, the number of prominent human beings who have been shot "from a window with a rifle" can be counted on one hand. It's simply not done that way. And if he simply meant, "We have protection against every possible assassination method except if some nuts shoots me from a window with a rifle, in which case we're utterly screwed!" then it seems like that's the sort of thing he should have shared with his Secret Service detail.

"Thanks for making us look bad."
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by ayobase(m): 12:36pm On May 22, 2013
I have to stop forcing my brother to stop using Left hand then!

Hmmm!

And have to change to left hand now, and I was practising with it before o.....the power of my fathers's house must have stopped me from being lefie or ambidextrous.

Just being funny though......MODs, na FRONT PAGE MATERIAL be this, unless una no want everybody on NL to be leaders!
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 5:08pm On May 22, 2013
LOL!

I have to follow in your footstep by using left hand cool
ayobase: I have to stop forcing my brother to stop using Left hand then!

Hmmm!

And have to change to left hand now, and I was practising with it before o.....the power of my fathers's house must have stopped me from being lefie or ambidextrous.

Just being funny though......MODs, na FRONT PAGE MATERIAL be this, unless una no want everybody on NL to be leaders!

1 Like

Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 9:28am On Sep 15, 2013
#4 Jackie Chan Was Supposed To Shoot A Movie At The World Trade Center On 9/11 (About Terrorists) – Nosebleed shocked

It’s strange how close we can come to our own deaths without really even realising it, but the story which surrounds martial arts icon Jackie Chan and the shooting of a cancelled movie called Nosebleed happens to be one of those bizarre cases where you realise exactly how lucky you’ve been. According to the legend himself, he was scheduled to shoot a scene inside the World Trade Center on September 11th 2001, but decided not to because he wasn’t happy with the script, and pursued another project.

What’s even more mind-blowing, though? This movie was rumoured to have been about terrorists who try to blow up the World Trade Center, amongst other iconic buildings and monuments in New York City. And the scene that Chan would have been filming at the time? Well, he would have been strapped to the side of one the towers, given that his character was supposed to have been a freakin’ window washer.

Talking about the incident, Chan himself is quoted in the Chinese press as having said: “Filming was scheduled to have taken place at 7:00 am last Tuesday morning (September 11th), and as I had to be at the top of one of the towers for one of the scenes, I would probably have died if the shooting went ahead as planned.” Totally insane, right? The movie he opted to make instead, by the way, was The Tuxedo. Ultimately, we’ll excuse the fact that such a movie exists if it meant that Jackie Chan managed to avoid death.

I'll say, lucky him
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 9:44am On Sep 15, 2013
#5 Jim Caviezel Was Struck By Lightning Filming The Sermon On The Mount – The Passion Of The Christ

Whether you’d call this a coincidence or you’d label it as one extremely apt freak occurrence, you have to admit that it’s pretty nuts. Even if you’re not at all religiously-inclined and you think that the universe is just one of many alien-owned marbles like at the end of Men In Black, there’s something inherently spooky about the actor playing Jesus getting struck by lighting whilst filming Mel Gibson’s incredibly controversial picture. I mean, what are the odds of that? 1 in 280,000, apparently.

Yes, poor old Jim Caviezel was struck by lighting during the infamous “Sermon of the Mount” sequence. Though this can, of course, only be put down to an unlikely coincidence that just happened to feel relevant, there’s no denying that the subject material associated with the movie’s production makes this an intriguing slice of trivia. Luckily, Caviezel wasn’t hurt too badly, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he suddenly started thinking: “What have I done?” Perhaps God just preferred Willem Dafoe in the role.

shocked shocked shocked

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/4/4/8/150448_v1.jpg
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 9:53am On Sep 15, 2013
Additional:

Robert DeNiro’s Future Oscar Wins Are Foreshadowed In The Orange Scene – The Godfather

This one is about as coincidental as coincidences get, but it’s interesting to note that – during a scene in The Godfather – both of Robert De Niro’s Oscar-winning roles are foreshadowed in one key moment. If you know a bit about the movies, you’ll also know that De Niro won an Oscar for playing a younger version of Marlon Brando’s Don Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part II, and another for playing boxer Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull. It was a good time for the actor, who has made far too many movies with Ben Stiller since.

So check out this scene in the original Godfather movie, where Vito Corleone (played by Brando here) can be seen standing adjacent to a poster advertising an upcoming fight for who else but Jake LaMotta? The most mind-blowing part of all this, though, is that Robert De Niro later recalled that he saw this scene and decided then that he would “one day inhabit both of those characters on the big screen.” Nah, I totally made that part up, but it’s still pretty cool, huh? You’re still angry that I added that extra bit on, aren’t you? I don’t know what came over me.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 9:55am On Sep 15, 2013
Brad Pitt Tore His Achilles Tendon Whilst Playing Achilles – Troy

Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 10:00am On Sep 15, 2013
A Crashed Private Jet Originally Hired By The Crew Resulted In A Horrific Coincidence – The Omen

Making movies about things like evil spirits and the devil is a good way to get people to say that your movie is “cursed,” especially if something bad happens whilst you’re making that movie – you know, things like the deaths of most of your cast members in the aftermath (Poltergeist), or the entire crew ending up with cancer (The Conqueror). The Omen, of course, is one of those movies believed to have been “cursed,” and – going by one blood-curdling coincidence - it’s not hard to see why people think so.

This particular coincidence is really, really, horrible, so stop reading now if you dislike true stories about entire families being wiped out by strange accidents. During the filming of the movie, the crew hired a private jet for transportation purposes, though the company needed it at the time and offered them a discount if they waited a few days. They agreed, though later that day the private jet they were supposed to fly on crashed onto a road and into a couple of cars – everybody involved was killed. The eerie part? The pilot’s wife and child just happened to be inside one of those cars. Incalculably slim odds, and yet… here we are. Damien, you [expletive].
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 10:06am On Sep 15, 2013
Brandon Lee’s Death Is Predicted By His Father’s Last Movie – Game Of Death/The Crow

Everybody knows that kung-fu legend Bruce Lee died during the making of his last movie, Game of Death, and if you didn’t know that… well, you do now. Left with a half-finished flick and hankering for the profits, the movie’s producers opted not to throw it out (which would have been far easier), but to try and mould it into something resembling a finished product, which they kind of achieved using stand-ins and, uh, including footage of Bruce Lee whilst he was dead and lying in his coffin. Seriously. The ’70s was a different time.

Game of Death, by the way, is based around a storyline that has Bruce Lee playing an actor in a movie (see, they had their own version of “meta” back then, too). The climatic scene in the movie comes when Lee’s character is shot using a prop gun that actually turns out to be loaded. Where have you heard something like that before, you say? Well, whilst shooting The Crow, Lee’s son, Brandon, was accidentally killed when a prop gun mistakenly fired. Now, that’s pretty weird, don’t you think? How many other movies do you know that involve a storyline about a prop gun misfiring? “None,” is the answer. A truly bizarre coincidence, if ever there was one.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 10:28am On Sep 15, 2013
Anthony Hopkins’ Copy Of A Book Turns Out To Be The Author’s Own Lost Version – The Girl From Petrovka

The title I’ve given this entry doesn’t do justice to how insane it actually is, so in the words of a Samuel L. Jackson character: “Hold on to your butts.” Okay, so if you’ve seen the movie The Girl From Petrovka, you’ll know that Anthony Hopkins is in it, doing some acting, long before he was a big star. It’s not a very good movie, by the way, and this story is far more interesting as a result. Anyway, as most actors do when they sign on to star in a movie based on a book, Hopkins sought out a copy of the original novel, written by George Feifer.

To Hopkins’ dismay, though, he couldn’t find a copy of the book anywhere. Walking through London later, he noticed an abandoned book on a park bench. Of the all books in the entire world that this man could have found right when he needed it, what might that book have been? Yep: The Girl From Petrovka. This, of course, would have been a great place to end a story of such sublime coincidence, but it’s not even over yet. Two years later, the actor met George Feifer during filming, who admitted that he didn’t have a copy of his own book.

You know where this is going, right? Feifer described his copy of Petrovka, which he admitted had been personally annotated, and mentioned that he once lent it to a friend who lost in in London. Hopkins brought out his copy and (presumably) deadpanned: “Is this the copy you’re looking for, George?” Yep: it was the same freakin’ copy. No word as to whether or not Anthony Hopkins gave George Feifer his book back, though: I’d imagine both men were too stunned at that point to say anything. Like you are right now.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by xynerise: 4:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
Such coincidences cant happen in Naija movies grin
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
Speaking of Kennedy's assasination, why would my 'psychic' mind keep telling me that the wife might know a thing about the attack? cheesy
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
Why do you think it can't happen in Naija, just because we don't keep record of events?
xynerise: Such coincidences cant happen in Naija movies grin

Hehehe, you're really a 'psycho' for even contemplating that his wife had a hand in his assassination undecidedcheesy
El Guapo: Speaking of Kennedy's assasination, why would my 'psychic' mind keep telling me that the wife might know a thing about the attack? cheesy
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by Freiburger(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
xynerise: Such coincidences cant happen in Naija movies grin
lol, same thing came to my mind while going through it.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
dont8:
Hehehe, you're really a 'psycho' for even contemplating that his wife had a hand in his assassination undecidedcheesy

Psycho isnt the word, lets say i've got some telepathic tendencies that pushes me to see beyond ur widest imagination.

I pay a big attention to that smallest detail u'd overlook, now tell me, is it still worth it chasing Kennedy's killer? cheesy
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by Fynestboi: 4:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
Fb: So what's the only other answer if not bizarre coincidence? That left-handers are secretly a superior race who are naturally born to rule the other 90 percent of society?
yap na
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by RoyalRoy(m): 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
What a great coincidence!!

This post was originally started around May and the Op comes back only 4 months after to complete it!
And only one person made a comment while it was lying fallow

What am thinking?

Nothing
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 8:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
Detective El Guapo, you can report yourself to CIA cheesy
El Guapo:

Psycho isnt the word, lets say i've got some telepathic tendencies that pushes me to see beyond ur widest imagination.

I pay a big attention to that smallest detail u'd overlook, now tell me, is it still worth it chasing Kennedy's killer? cheesy
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by Incrizz(f): 12:44am On Sep 18, 2013
dont8: Detective El Guapo, you can report yourself to CIA cheesy

Lmao

@El Guapo women feel things too.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2014
I'm back on the thread again, so tell me-what were you thinking?
RoyalRoy: What a great coincidence!!

This post was originally started around May and the Op comes back only 4 months after to complete it!
And only one person made a comment while it was lying fallow

What am thinking?

Nothing
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 4:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
Joan of Arc and the Maid of Lorraine Prophecy

Old-time historians weren't above sexing up their accounts with a little bit of what experts call "bullshit." Legend becomes fact, real accomplishments get exaggerated for propaganda purposes (no, George Washington never chopped down that cherry tree.) But when it comes to Joan of Arc, the parts of her life that historians all agree on are so remarkable that it doesn't seem to need all that much exaggeration. She won over her chief critic at Orleans through a sudden gust of wind on the battlefield, for instance, and one way or the other she reversed nearly a century of French defeats in one year despite no military training whatsoever.

So given all that she was accomplishing, it doesn't seem that strange that a prophecy started gaining traction around France stating, "As France had been lost by a woman, it would be saved by a woman." What is strange, however, is that the prophecy was already hugely popular in France long before Joan of Arc ever wandered off into the woods and started taking requests from angels to set English armies on fire.

The background on that is that when Joan was 8 years old, France's Queen Isabeau of Bavaria signed a treaty with England that essentially handed the French throne to the English king. Naturally, French citizens were less than excited about gifting their country to the same people who had been stabbing their ancestors to death for decades, and so they started to cling to this prophecy claiming that a woman would save them.

After Joan of Arc's track record of reunifying France, that prediction couldn't sound any more made-up in hindsight. But guess who most historians attribute it to?

That would be Merlin the wizard, from Arthurian Legend. Attributing anything to a fictional wizard sounds like an open-and-shut case that it probably didn't exist, but the prophecy is mentioned repeatedly through the transcripts of Joan of Arc's trial and in a ballad written by Christine de Pisan while Joan of Arc was still alive. Each mentions Merlin's prophecy as if it was something everybody already knew about.

"Seriously. One more person yells 'Free Bird' and I'm gonna start cutting until I run out of faces."

Okay, you might think, maybe Joan just heard the prophecy as a child and tried to fulfill it. You'd be wrong. Joan of Arc claimed a lot of seemingly preposterous things during her trials, but she always dismissed the idea that she was the woman from the prophecy. So we're left with a strikingly prescient divination from a fictional English wizard foretelling the downfall of England, and the only person who doesn't believe it is the girl making it all happen.
Re: 5 Creepy Coincidences You Won't Believe Actually Happened by dont8(m): 4:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
#1. The Apocalypse of Constantinople

The fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans in 1453 is widely considered one of the most consequential moments in world history. In fact, most historians credit that moment as the end of the Middle Ages. Like a bunch of lushes getting kicked out of a bar late at night, all the Byzantines fled the city after it fell and wandered to other European hotspots before sobering up and getting to work on the Renaissance. Suffice it to say, the collapse of Constantinople helped shape the rest of history.

Naturally, that kind of colossal event deserves some fanfare on a biblical level, so it is fitting that the fall of the city coincided perfectly with a partial lunar eclipse. While this may not sound that exciting, it was kind of a big deal for everyone who saw it because of a long-standing prophecy that said, "Constantinople would always endure provided that the moon, in its full circle, did not give a sign in the sky."

"I'm telling you, I think it's trying to tell us something."

Since the moon was an important symbol of Constantinople going back to its founding a whopping 1,123 years earlier, seeing it disappear during the most important siege of the century was a pretty terrifying coincidence for everyone who lived inside its walls. And yet even with a blacked-out moon, the Byzantines fended off the incoming attackers for a little while. It took the hand of God to sweep through the city to really let everyone know that prophecy wasn't fucking around.

According to the terrified accounts of what happened after the eclipse, the skies opened up and, for the next week, the city was besieged with "whirlwinds and terrible storms," "thunder and lightning with clouds, and a violent rain with severe hail," and "drops huge and red, similar in size and appearance to a bull's eye, fell as tears."

They must have cut that verse.

What sounds more like hyperbole than a detailed account actually has some credibility behind it. According to the California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory , these made-up-sounding phenomena may have been the result of a massive volcano -- one so huge that, even though it happened in the South Pacific, it caused apocalyptic weather-weirdness halfway around the globe. So what at first seems like a staggering coincidence feels a little more like God saying, "Alright, everyone get the hell out before I drop an asteroid on this nonsense."

http://www.cracked.com/article_20024_5-creepy-coincidences-you-wont-believe-actually-happened_p2.html

(1) (Reply)

Legal Age In America / 20 And Under?sign In Here / Photos Of The 6 Most Breathtaking Roads In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.