Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,507 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Commuter Tips For The Average Abuja Pedestrian! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Commuter Tips For The Average Abuja Pedestrian! (618 Views)

Pedestrian Bridge Collapses On Taxi In Kano, 7 Die (Photo) / Pictures Of Air Conditioned Pedestrian Bridge In Port Harcourt. / Sadiku Bus-stop, Lagos "Killer" Pedestrian-Bridge (WITH PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Commuter Tips For The Average Abuja Pedestrian! by Abujafood: 2:13pm On May 22, 2013
If you happen to be among the several thousands of Abuja residents who don’t own a vehicle to help in the everyday commute you’ll understand the sheer difficulty of getting around the city. The experiences of the Abuja pedestrian can be akin to a Greek tragedy or a big screen comedy and we are not exaggerating with the comparisons. The everyday commute for those who walk along the unfriendly Abuja streets can be life threatening or laugh-out-loud comical. Below are just some everyday situations and words of advice for the newly initiated Abuja Pedestrian.

Hit and Run

When crossing one of the numerous death traps we call expressways, Abuja pedestrians often come to terms with the horrible reality of being hit and run over by speeding drivers. In one clear case, I watched a very inexperienced Abuja pedestrian attempting to cross the very busy Abuja airport express way. This individual did not accurately time his dash and almost got hit by a car that suddenly switched lanes. This particular pedestrian was lucky that day but many others are not so lucky and you can find their mangled bodies in the morgue.

Taxi 'One Chance' Robberies

Taxis are a necessary evil for the Abuja pedestrian who has no choice but to make use of this form of transportation to get from point A to B. Boarding a taxi especially at night is becoming a nightmare for many folk who have to deal with the very real threat of boarding a vehicle containing armed robbers who often pose as passengers. On NTA's News Line program, I watched a woman narrate a sinister tale about how she narrowly escaped death after boarding a taxi that concealed a man who ferociously attacked her with a large knife. Not all taxi's are harbingers of death however, you just have to be alert and careful of the type of cab you enter. Better safe than sorry!

Navigating Filthy Roads

Imagine stepping in a puddle of mud that turns out to be human excreta or passing through a narrow filthy path, filled with an overpowering stench of urine. Well you don't have to imagine, as these sorts of experiences are common place for the Abuja Pedestrian. Abuja has many winding paths and little known streets adjacent to popular roads. These pathways are the life blood of the pedestrian city map. Sometimes in order to shorten their trajectory home, commuters often look for short cuts which might take them through private property. If you choose to take this route be ready for some nasty or comical experiences with homeowners who don't appreciate you trespassing on their property.

Bus Stop Pick Pockets

Rush hours at busy bus stops can be apocalyptic to say the least. In the mad rush you may find one or two pick pockets who pose as commuters pretending to be in a rush while their real aim is to dip their skillful fingers into your pocket or handbag to help themselves to your personal belongings. A friend of mine recently complained about how his wallet containing his drivers license and ATM card was stolen along with a significant amount of cash. Be aware of your personal items whenever you're in a crowd. You really don't want to be the next lucky dip!

http://www.abujafood.com/news-digest/bite/1226-words-of-advice-for-the-abuja-pedestrian.html
Re: Commuter Tips For The Average Abuja Pedestrian! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 07, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian/overseas Syndrome / I Need To Get Criminal Record Clearance But Am Not In Nigeria, How Do I Do It ?? / Please I Need Help And Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.