Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Fergie: Don’t Ever Call Me Boss Again - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Fergie: Don’t Ever Call Me Boss Again (531 Views)

Fergie Wants Van Perse / Picture Of Carlos Tevez Holding Up 'RIP Fergie' Sign / Manchester United Fan Thread: In Fergie We Trust! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fergie: Don’t Ever Call Me Boss Again by ugowhite(m): 11:56pm On May 22, 2013
Fergie: Don’t ever call me Boss again

SIR Alex Ferguson stunned Manchester United’s stars by giving them one final order: “Don’t ever call me Boss again.”
Fergie, 71 ended his 26-year Old Trafford reign with a thrilling 5-5 draw against West Brom.
Joker Sir Alex told United’s players his retirement means they can finally call him all the names they’ve been muttering under their breath for years.

Great Scot ... Sir Alex Ferguson on the pitch at the end of his last game

He made the quip to players and backroom staff at Old Trafford — along with a plea for them to give their all for his successor.
Sir Alex said: “ You've been fantastic servants to me. We've achieved some great things.
“And if all that we’ve done together means anything to you, there’s just one thing I’d ask of you all.
“After I've gone and we bump into each other, I don’t want to hear you call me Boss ever again.
“Call me anything but that. Call me whatever you’ve called me behind my back for years — but just not Boss.

All over-come ... Sir Alex and Giggs on pitch

You’ll have a new boss by then and he’s the only one you should call that.”
Fergie’s shock speech came hours before the news of his departure was officially announced on May 8.
A United source said: “It was a jaw-dropping moment. Here’s the best manager ever announcing he’s leaving and the foremost thing in his mind is making sure the way is clear for the new man.
“Nobody has been left in any doubt who is in charge next season.
“It sums Sir Alex up. He’s a one-off.

Emotional ... Sir Alex looks choked by cheers

“Some of his staff were in tears. The players were stunned into silence. They’d all heard the rumours but nobody believed it would be true.”
Fergie bowed out yesterday after 26 years as Manchester United manager with a thrilling 5-5 draw against West Brom. Everton’s David Moyes is his replacement.
When the final whistle blew Sir Alex walked on to the West Brom pitch to deafening roars from all sections of the 26,500 crowd.
Ryan Giggs, clearly moved by the reception, shepherded Sir Alex over to the 3,000 travelling United fans as they chanted his name.

Retired ... Fergie during farewell to Manchester United fans at West Brom

Smart, Alex ... fan's thanks to Fergie

Fergie waved, blew kisses and bowed down to the supporters. As he left the pitch the famously no-nonsense Scot briefly looked as if the emotion of the occasion may be affecting him.
But he was soon smiling and shaking hands with players and fans.
United clinched the Premier League trophy weeks ago. But yesterday’s match was a fittingly thrilling finale to the greatest managerial career in modern British football.

(1) (Reply)

Bale Reveals Ronaldo Was Major Factor In Madrid Move / 2016 Ballon D' Or Shortlist / Did You Know Barcelona Has Never Beaten Dundee United??!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.