Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

I'm In A Hurry - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I'm In A Hurry (701 Views)

Former President Of Uganda Idi Amin Speech That You Would Not Forget In A Hurry / Stigma Is One Emotional Scarl We Cant Let Go In A Hurry Why?share UR XPERIENCE / I'm In Trouble, Please Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I'm In A Hurry by quadbal(m): 4:41pm On May 23, 2013
“I didn’t try to copy my dad or fit into the pressure or the

mold that everybody tried to make me fit into”- Joel Osteen

I was in a taxi heading to school this morning. The Taxi driver was driving at 160km/hr. Needless to say throughout the trip I was breathless because of fear. The driver was driving very fast on the ever busy Tanke-Unilorin road. He was busy overtaking recklessly, speeding over bumps with no regards to the effect on the passengers, and swerving at high speed with little or no fear. Few miles to the school park, I cautioned the young driver and advised him to be careful of the way he drives. He looked at me ungratefully and said “which one be your own. Get out of my car jor, I’m in a hurry”

I have noticed we are in a ‘hurry’ generation. Every facets of our life exhibit the hurry-syndrome. Students are in haste to graduate out of school no matter what. Employees are in rush to climb up the career ladder. Parents are in hurry to see their children out of school. Business men are in a dash to make that “breakthrough” profits. Young men are in haste to hit it big. Young ladies are in hurry to turn Mrs Lagbaja. Most often, we are always in hurry; in haste to see our dreams and plans come through. The hurry-syndrome has eaten deep into us as the wood pecker eats into wood that some exhibit the hurry-syndrome during enjoyable and pleasurable moments. It seems this generation has thrown the patience virtue into the trash can!

One of the outcomes of the hurry-syndrome is the quick-rich-mentality that has engulfed our youths all in the quest to ride the latest car, wear the trending designer cloths and to “roll with the biz boys and girls”. Most of our ladies are obsessed with the marry-early-mentality even with little or no financial, mental and even physical preparation and readiness. Our youths find it hard to study; I mean study in the real sense. What they do most often in the name of studying is skipping and cramming. No wonder, most of our young minds are not innovative and productive enough to compete at high level.

The consequences of not striving to overcome the hurry- syndrome are weighty. Many fatal accidents have occurred has a result of lack of patience. Some marriages are now history because of the “let us do it fast” disposition. Many have made irreversible mistakes, and put themselves in various forms of modern day slavery just because of being in haste. The hurry- syndrome does not allow for in-depth study and preparation. Hence, Lots of youth are yet to determine their superb potential and talents, and some have missed great opportunities.

Why are people in haste? Many are consciously and unknowingly in hurry as a result of envy and societal pressure; society many a times tends to dictate how to live one’s life. The society for example dictates when to get married. The society has a threshold against which success is measured and anything other than the societal standard is termed failure. In this part of the world, the societal threshold for success is flashy cars, designer wears, owambe party, flamboyant lifestyle etc. In the quest to fulfil the society’s demands, many put themselves under undue pressure and excessive hurry.

The pressure from the society can be irresistible in some cases. But is it right to give in to the societal demand? In the worlds of Anthony Liccione; “Some people will just go with the flow of things and sway in life, while others will fight against the currents and go upstream to reach their destiny”. Many have limit themselves and have failed to maximize their full potential by obeying the societal commands. A lot of people are pushed to marital bondage by parents, friends and acquaintance. Some due to the fear of being termed failures are forced to get involved in illegal, immoral and mystical deeds with grievous consequences.

Permit me to categorically states that I am not in support of laziness and lackadaisical attitudes but I strongly believe that every stages of life are to be fully enjoyed albeit with a sense of savoir faire. Life may barely be enjoyed when a person cave in to societal pressure, especially when the consequence is not palatable. Being in a hurry in life most times blind us to what are to be enjoyed and savoured, and many a times ends up in regret and “had I known”. According to Plato, “He who is calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age….” Therefore, enjoy every moments of your life with calmness and a joyful spirit. Don’t be pressurised by family, friends and the society into what you don’t want because when the tides are high you will swim against it alone!

Source:http://talkthetalks.blog.com/2013/05/20/i%E2%80%99m-in-a-hurry/
Re: I'm In A Hurry by sawyer89: 2:34pm On May 24, 2013
Hmm! So thoughtful of the writer

(1) (Reply)

. / If You Had One Wish, What Would You Wish 4? / This Is An Example Of A BAD Policeman! Help Fish Him Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.