Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? (738 Views)

Breaking News: Kaduna State Govt Dissolves Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) / Joint Tax Board Bans Sale Of Emblems, Stickers, & Issuing Of Levies To Motorists / Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by barnaby04(m): 5:58pm On May 24, 2013
Over the years now, some guys along this Akure-Owo-Benin highway especially when u get into Edo state at Sobe harrasses motorists by demanding for all sorts of papers, chief among is Radio Permit for using your car stereo and Emission Permit, simply put, exhaust pipe permit.
These guys demands for about four different kinds of such permits from motorists and each costs #7500, making #30,000 which is very funny on a federal highway.
Please housemates, share your experience if you have ever found yourself in such situation or you had once passed through Akure-Owo to Benin city and is it proper to pay Local Govt or State Govt levies on a Federal road?
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by JW214: 6:23pm On May 24, 2013
I was a victim of these guys some weeks ago, when I decided to use that road due to a trailer and tanker accident on the Benin/Ofosu/Ore road. They have 3 points between Benin and Sobe (both in Edo state), they are just bunch of id10ts who have no value to life and no sense of respect to road users. I was billed 30k for sanitation tax, Radio permit. I think it is a very wrong way of collecting tax, using spike rod on the highway to stop motorist, throwing stones and hitting your car body and glasses if you dont want to stop

After all negotiation, I had to pay 1k that day before they allow me move, the subsequent points before Sobe, I did not stop. My reason; while negotiating with them, i saw how one driver managed to escape these id10ts even with their spike rods thrown to the road at top speed, so i learnt some extra skills, that was what I did for the remaining 2 point. Just after Sobe till you get to Lagos, you wont see any of such.

I think the FG and Edo state govt should do something about these guys, robbers can dress and harm like them to rob, that road records very low traffic with absence of physical security, there is a need to get them off the road and look for another way of getting such revenue from motorist as such taxes exists and are enforced in Edo state and not in other state in Nigeria
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by barnaby04(m): 10:10pm On May 24, 2013
The activities of these guys on dat route is quite disturbing and very embarassing because if every state of of the federation shd be collecting such useless taxes, no motorist would be able to drive on our highways again.
for now, no one can say categorically if the Edo state Govt is aware of such collections going on in the state cos its very embarassing
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by balfol: 11:11pm On May 26, 2013
What I know about this kind of local government papers is if you are driving a company vehicle, but for private cars no no no, its absolute nonsense if it ever occurs,because they don't have any right to those claims,intact they are scammers.some few states have started banning them, Kano for example.
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by freelinks: 3:17pm On May 28, 2013
If you are driving a bus, then you are in for hell in eastern states. They have all sorts of permits. I suffered so much during my youth service in ABIA to be specific. Any levy of such on federal roads is illegal. Don't dare stop for them. They will rob you if they can. For state roads, kindly go with a private car instead.
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by faithbukky(m): 5:52pm On Jun 06, 2013
An accident was caused in my presence by those guys and they fled into the bush. They knew its illegal to collect those taxes on a Federal Road.
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Local Govt Or State Govt Levies On A Federal Road? by Peacefullife: 1:46pm On Jun 07, 2013
I think the cursed boys have started learning their lessons after one of them were killed. They are reducing now.

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Look For In Getting A Car / Car Buyers Beware / Kindly Qualify This Car In One Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.