Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years (9441 Views)

Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / BMW Now Wants Us To Park Our Cars Via Smartwatch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by NwaTeacher1: 6:14am On Jul 10, 2013
I park my Ml 320 SUV for 3years now since i'm not in d country to use it. Although i romove all the four tyres and hang it with a stone in my car garage. But i didn't remove the battery and the car hasn't start to warm since dat last 3 years. I want to know how bad is it to the car

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 6:24am On Jul 10, 2013
Nwa you're in the country! Which moto you wan buy? cheesy

First to comment on first topic on front page grin
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by NwaTeacher1: 9:56am On Jul 10, 2013
No my brother. I dey Malabo dey look 4 daily bread. Please car gurus in d house should help
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 10, 2013
A car can be laid up unused for even 10 years, as long as correct procedures are followed.

01) Disconnect battery.
02) Do an oil and filter change.
03) Have the ATF and filter changed (automatics only).
04) Remove the spark plugs, and squirt clean engine oil down the bores, then replace the plugs loosely. You'll need to remove the plugs and crank the engine for at least 10 seconds, before refitting the plugs when you're ready to use the car again.
05) Take the weight off the wheels, by supporting the frame on axle stands. Tyres can remain fitted.
06) Make sure the gas tank is full. This prevents tank from rusting from the inside out.
07) Put a good fuel additive in the tank, and run it through the system. This prevents the fuel pump seizing.
08) Make sure the cooling system is charged with a fresh water / coolant mix to minimise internal corrosion.
09) Carry out a brake fluid change before laying the car up.
10) Carry out a clutch fluid change before laying up (hydraulic clutch only).
11) Make sure the car is in a place where it can breathe. Car covers are a bad idea long term, as condensation and mould will form inside the car, and the paintwork will suffer from abrasion (windy periods).
12) Park the car in an open garage / carport. This ensures the car is adequately ventilated. If possible, vent the interior by leaving a window or two partially open, at least once every two weeks.
13) Grease door, boot and bonnet hinges, as well as sunroof tracks (as applicable).
14) If practical, spray the entire exterior with a film of WD-40 or other light oil. This will reduce the chances of external corrosion.
15) Wash the wheel arches thoroughly, to remove dried earth. Once clean and dry, smear a gererous layer of multi-purpose grease in these arches, paying particular attention to the arch lips.
16) Leave some bags of silica gel inside the car. This will absorb moisture, and prevent your interior - leather, fabric, carpets, steering wheel, roof lining etc from going mouldy.

This might seem a lot, but this is the best way to keep your car in good shape during long periods of inactivity. All the above will need to be reversed, and depending on how long you leave the car, the gas would have gone off, and will need draining, and refilling with fresh gas. It might run on the old gas, but it'll be difficult to start, and have zero knock resistance.

Good luck!

41 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by NwaTeacher1: 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Thanks very much@ Siena. I appreciated your contribution. The only mistake i made is that i didn't disconnect the battery. Hope this won't cause much damage to d car? Am planning using it diz axmas period and what and what can i do to fix it back to road because this exmas will make it 3 and half years in d garage
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 10, 2013
Leaving the battery connected for over three years won't have caused any damage to the car, but the battery will certainly be beyond recovery at this point. It will be flat, and unlikely to retain a charge.

I would replace the battery, and also have the old gas in the tank drained, and refreshed.

Observe local regulations when draining gas, the precautions needed when handling fuel can't be over stressed!

I would also do a mini service, at the very minimum, an oil and filter change. Before first start, I would advice you get your mechanic to disable starting. This can be achieved by pulling the fuel pump fuse. The idea is the engine oil system needs to be primed. This is done by cranking with the fuel pump disabled. Do this is 8-second intervals, at least 5 times, or until the oil pressure light goes out.

Once this is done, you replace the fuel pump fuse, and start up as normal.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Willgates(m): 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
Watz dis suppose to mean?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Fogman(m): 3:36pm On Jul 10, 2013
Informative post from Siena
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by LabourParty(m): 3:37pm On Jul 10, 2013
Sell it and buy another.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2013
Please, how is this suppossed to make front page? Oga Siena, there are other useful threads in the car section worthy of the front page. When the guy bought the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! When he was parking the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! Why then will he contact us after three years to know if it is proper or not? I dont see any logic in that. Your answer to the guy should have been the main topic. I know most people will come here to insult me now... But am already with my magic wand in front of my laptop. Am watching comments closely....
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by ksusi: 3:45pm On Jul 10, 2013
you should have given it to one of your family member to manage ur family affair before you come back

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by zebj(m): 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2013
Nice one
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Lilimax(f): 3:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
exxell: Please, how is this suppossed to make front page? Oga Siena, there are other useful threads in the car section worthy of the front page. When the guy bought the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! When he was parking the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! Why then will he contact us after three years to know if it is proper or not? I dont see any logic in that. Your answer to the guy should have been the main topic. I know most people will come here to insult me now... But am already with my magic wand in front of my laptop. Am watching comments closely....
To me, there is nothing wrong with the post making front page. I've learn't a couple of things from the explanations given by Siena. Very educative. No knowledge is a waste smiley

5 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by clemmonce(m): 3:48pm On Jul 10, 2013
i really dont have an advice to give because i dont knw much about cars. but g want to commend mr siena. lovly posts.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by javipee: 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2013
exxell: Please, how is this suppossed to make front page? Oga Siena, there are other useful threads in the car section worthy of the front page. When the guy bought the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! When he was parking the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! Why then will he contact us after three years to know if it is proper or not? I dont see any logic in that. Your answer to the guy should have been the main topic. I know most people will come here to insult me now... But am already with my magic wand in front of my laptop. Am watching comments closely....

8 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Wendyslim(f): 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2013
Siena has said it all. Hmmmmm dats my car
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Akanniade(m): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
@Siena
Thanks a plenty. Am runninng a print straightaway.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by global07(m): 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2013
Your ML320 has no problem,even if you have to leave it parked for extra years. When you get back you just have the battery replaced.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Wendyslim(f): 3:53pm On Jul 10, 2013
. Why are u aggressive. Has anybody offend u? It seems u don't have work to stay glued to ur system waiting for comments against u. Mtchewwwww ONI ranuu
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
ML 320 SUV.. Hehe ok nice car ooo
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
[quote author=javipee][/quote]

U wan try me abi

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 10, 2013

I wasn't aware this thread had made front page, nor was I aware you found the thread itself offensive.

My apologies.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Chizym2: 4:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b] cryIs nt good to park car for
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by AbuMikey(m): 4:13pm On Jul 10, 2013
Siena na Mechanic?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
Nwa Teacher: I park my Ml 320 SUV for 3years now since i'm not in d country to use it. Although i romove all the four tyres and hang it with a stone in my car garage. But i didn't remove the battery and the car hasn't start to warm since dat last 3 years. I want to know how bad is it to the car

I think after removing the tyres, you could have handed the key to a relative to warm the car up every 2 weeks or 3wks. I'm sure yu reomved the tyres to avoid theft abi.
With that said, the advice given by Siena is probably on point. I'd be cautious with the car. You don't want to just put in new batteries and start it right away. Have a mechanic service it prior to starting.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by imsuboi(m): 4:18pm On Jul 10, 2013

nwachinaemelu!
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Godson201333(m): 4:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Oya THREAD CLOSED...Oga Sienna don give him answer!!

@OP now that you've got an answer,DO you wanna dissapear from Malabo to Nigeria to disconnect your battery?Just like Oga sienna said!! shocked grin
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by MiloRambaldi(m): 4:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Good info. Thx Siena
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
sienna is the boss.... hands down... op u don hear am... infact prepare to write exam after this lecture from sienna....
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by yuzedo: 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
Siena, boss, what's all that na?! E better say i just begin trek abeg! Hian!
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by ayobase(m): 4:36pm On Jul 10, 2013
Siena: A car can be laid up unused for even 10 years, as long as correct procedures are followed.

01) Disconnect battery.
02) Do an oil and filter change.
03) Have the ATF and filter changed (automatics only).
04) Remove the spark plugs, and squirt clean engine oil down the bores, then replace the plugs loosely. You'll need to remove the plugs and crank the engine for at least 10 seconds, before refitting the plugs when you're ready to use the car again.
05) Take the weight off the wheels, by supporting the frame on axle stands. Tyres can remain fitted.
06) Make sure the gas tank is full. This prevents tank from rusting from the inside out.
07) Put a good fuel additive in the tank, and run it through the system. This prevents the fuel pump seizing.
08) Make sure the cooling system is charged with a fresh water / coolant mix to minimise internal corrosion.
09) Carry out a brake fluid change before laying the car up.
10) Carry out a clutch fluid change before laying up (hydraulic clutch only).
11) Make sure the car is in a place where it can breathe. Car covers are a bad idea long term, as condensation and mould will form inside the car, and the paintwork will suffer from abrasion (windy periods).
12) Park the car in an open garage / carport. This ensures the car is adequately ventilated. If possible, vent the interior by leaving a window or two partially open, at least once every two weeks.
13) Grease door, boot and bonnet hinges, as well as sunroof tracks (as applicable).
14) If practical, spray the entire exterior with a film of WD-40 or other light oil. This will reduce the chances of external corrosion.
15) Wash the wheel arches thoroughly, to remove dried earth. Once clean and dry, smear a gererous layer of multi-purpose grease in these arches, paying particular attention to the arch lips.
16) Leave some bags of silica gel inside the car. This will absorb moisture, and prevent your interior - leather, fabric, carpets, steering wheel, roof lining etc from going mouldy.

This might seem a lot, but this is the best way to keep your car in good shape during long periods of inactivity. All the above will need to be reversed, and depending on how long you leave the car, the gas would have gone off, and will need draining, and refilling with fresh gas. It might run on the old gas, but it'll be difficult to start, and have zero knock resistance.

Good luck!

Interesting, fascinating and educative!
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
Nwa Teacher: I park my Ml 320 SUV for 3years now since i'm not in d country to use it. Although i romove all the four tyres and hang it with a stone in my car garage. But i didn't remove the battery and the car hasn't start to warm since dat last 3 years. I want to know how bad is it to the car
Nwanne ayam ready to buy the car at a cheaper u know nah

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Common Indications Of Car Engine Failure / Buying From Copart, IAAI Or Auction Export / VIO In Lagos Impounded His Car Over Fake Drivers License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.