Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence (35034 Views)

5 Ways Nigerians Can Improve Their Bad Customer Services / How To Increase Your Konga And Jumia Sales With Product Bundling / Power Supply To Increase By 600MW This Month - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by drpips1(m): 10:50am On May 26, 2013
1. Minimize Television Watching – This is a hard sell. People love vegetating in front of the television. The problem is watching television doesn’t use your mental capacity OR allow it to recharge. It’s like having the energy sapped out of a muscle without the health benefits of exercise.

Don’t you feel drained after a couple hours of TV? Your eyes are sore and tired from being focused on the light box for so long. You don’t even have the energy to read a book.

When you feel like relaxing, try reading a book instead. If you’re too tired, listen to some music. When you’re with your friends or family, leave the tube off and have a conversation. All of these things use your mind more than television and allow you to relax.

2. Exercise – I used to think that I’d learn more by not exercising and using the time to read a book instead. But I realized that time spent exercising always leads to greater learning because it improves productivity during the time afterwards. Using your body clears your head and creates a wave of energy. Afterwards, you feel invigorated and can concentrate more easily.

3. Read Challenging Books – Many people like to read popular suspense fiction, but generally these books aren’t mentally stimulating. If you want to improve your thinking and writing ability you should read books that make you focus. Reading a classic novel can change your view of the world and will make you think in more precise, elegant English. Don’t be afraid to look up a word if you don’t know it, and don’t be afraid of dense passages. Take your time, re-read when necessary, and you’ll soon grow accustomed to the author’s style.

Once you get used to reading challenging books, I think you’ll find that you aren’t tempted to go back to page-turners. The challenge of learning new ideas is far more exciting than any tacky suspense-thriller.

4. Early to Bed, Early to Rise – Nothing makes it harder to concentrate than sleep deprivation. You’ll be most rejuvenated if you go to bed early and don’t sleep more than 8 hours. If you stay up late and compensate by sleeping late, you’ll wake up lethargic and have trouble focusing. In my experience the early morning hours are the most tranquil and productive. Waking up early gives you more productive hours and maximizes your mental acuity all day.

If you have the opportunity, take 10-20 minute naps when you are hit with a wave of drowsiness. Anything longer will make you lethargic, but a short nap will refresh you.

5. Take Time to Reflect – Often our lives get so hectic that we become overwhelmed without even realizing it. It becomes difficult to concentrate because nagging thoughts keep interrupting. Spending some time alone in reflection gives you a chance organize your thoughts and prioritize your responsibilities. Afterwards, you’ll have a better understanding of what’s important and what isn’t. The unimportant stuff won’t bother you anymore and your mind will feel less encumbered,

137 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by kitton: 9:06am On May 27, 2013
Well said!
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by DTalented(m): 9:12am On May 27, 2013
Ok
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Youngzedd(m): 11:53am On May 27, 2013
Nice.
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by zerocool(m): 3:13pm On May 27, 2013
Sleeping does a lot of magic, but not excessive sleep.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Krasid(m): 3:14pm On May 27, 2013
I don't quite agree with number one because watching some programs in the television can be educative.

14 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by 299: 3:14pm On May 27, 2013
Play chess

25 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by momodub: 3:15pm On May 27, 2013
nice one

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by wandeay: 3:18pm On May 27, 2013
i think I'll start to do all these things now, my intelligence is decreasing gradually, come to think of it, i dont watch TV at all, but i do sleep late @ night, may God help me!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Rick9(m): 3:18pm On May 27, 2013
Lovely write up. Thanks
am i 8th wooow dancing azonto
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by LesbianBoy(m): 3:18pm On May 27, 2013
6. Dont browse nairaland too often

14 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by sexymoma(f): 3:20pm On May 27, 2013
Play SCRABBLE..... It Enhance your spelling Skills.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by saintneo(m): 3:20pm On May 27, 2013
4 & 5 only
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 27, 2013
Do not spend more than 30 minutes on nairaland!sad

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by rash47(m): 3:22pm On May 27, 2013
Nice points eps no 1, can somebody in the house recommend a challenging book pls
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
6 Smoke weeds daily

12 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by alphaconde(m): 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
Ask God to give u wisdom.
Here's a prayer
O God who in the light of the holy spirit did instruct the hearts of the faithful grant in the same spirit that we would be truly WISE and forever rejoice in thy consolation through christ our lord amen.

Its the spirit that directs

43 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Pacesetter2: 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
You may wish to increase without having an optimistic view of the outcome
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by alaoeri: 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
Disagree on TV watching anyway depending on what u watching. If u watching discoveries, documentaries, crime detective & some IQ movies it do broad someone reasoning & not some nollywood fake wannabe love films.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 27, 2013
What of people who are born stupid?

10 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 27, 2013
mollytinrox: What of people who are born stupid?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by yuzedo: 3:25pm On May 27, 2013
Have a grate and intellyjet convaserstation with Chiff Sweetus. PM him today trough Yuzedo and recieve a N10,000 nitel rechard card fREE!!!... He have money and is willin to spend on a sweet babes. wink wink

7 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Segadem(m): 3:26pm On May 27, 2013
No 6. minimize your coming to nairaland.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by zolajpower: 3:26pm On May 27, 2013
what if it a news on channels? or you someone like me who uses the computer at work to read the report on nairaland should stop? little wonder the young micheal ade something was mis-lead. i beg write something more educating
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Ojugunrege(f): 3:27pm On May 27, 2013
dr-pips:
1. Minimize Television Watching – This is a hard sell. People love vegetating in front of the television, myself included more often than I’d like. The problem is watching television doesn’t use your mental capacity OR allow it to recharge. It’s like having the energy sapped out of a muscle without the health benefits of exercise.

Don’t you feel drained after a couple hours of TV? Your eyes are sore and tired from being focused on the light box for so long. You don’t even have the energy to read a book.

When you feel like relaxing, try reading a book instead. If you’re too tired, listen to some music. When you’re with your friends or family, leave the tube off and have a conversation. All of these things use your mind more than television and allow you to relax.

2. Exercise – I used to think that I’d learn more by not exercising and using the time to read a book instead. But I realized that time spent exercising always leads to greater learning because it improves productivity during the time afterwards. Using your body clears your head and creates a wave of energy. Afterwards, you feel invigorated and can concentrate more easily.

3. Read Challenging Books – Many people like to read popular suspense fiction, but generally these books aren’t mentally stimulating. If you want to improve your thinking and writing ability you should read books that make you focus. Reading a classic novel can change your view of the world and will make you think in more precise, elegant English. Don’t be afraid to look up a word if you don’t know it, and don’t be afraid of dense passages. Take your time, re-read when necessary, and you’ll soon grow accustomed to the author’s style.

Once you get used to reading challenging books, I think you’ll find that you aren’t tempted to go back to page-turners. The challenge of learning new ideas is far more exciting than any tacky suspense-thriller.

4. Early to Bed, Early to Rise – Nothing makes it harder to concentrate than sleep deprivation. You’ll be most rejuvenated if you go to bed early and don’t sleep more than 8 hours. If you stay up late and compensate by sleeping late, you’ll wake up lethargic and have trouble focusing. In my experience the early morning hours are the most tranquil and productive. Waking up early gives you more productive hours and maximizes your mental acuity all day.

If you have the opportunity, take 10-20 minute naps when you are hit with a wave of drowsiness. Anything longer will make you lethargic, but a short nap will refresh you.

5. Take Time to Reflect – Often our lives get so hectic that we become overwhelmed without even realizing it. It becomes difficult to concentrate because nagging thoughts keep interrupting. Spending some time alone in reflection gives you a chance organize your thoughts and prioritize your responsibilities. Afterwards, you’ll have a better understanding of what’s important and what isn’t. The unimportant stuff won’t bother you anymore and your mind will feel less encumbered
Minimise BB, tt and fb too

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by yuzedo: 3:28pm On May 27, 2013
oh gord plis dont bann me mod seun bro, I beg u four god sake. I just want to countrybute to d topick goddamit!!! angry angry is not my fault I dint hav eglish aptitue undecided sad

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:29pm On May 27, 2013
Exercise, noted.
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by kennyslim1(m): 3:29pm On May 27, 2013
nice one here!
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Sweetapple007(f): 3:31pm On May 27, 2013
Mix wit inteligent people that matter.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by collins123(m): 3:31pm On May 27, 2013
Minimize Trashy Friends.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Gistben: 3:31pm On May 27, 2013
Nice talk
Re: 5 Ways To Increase Your Intelligence by Emmyk(m): 3:32pm On May 27, 2013
sexymoma: Play SCRABBLE..... It Enhance your spelling Skills.
seconded!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With N50,000 In Lagos? / Three Reasons Government May Freeze Your Bank Account / Men Caught Selling Pillowcase Filled With Dirty Fabrics And Used Foams (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.