Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,174 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Most Reliable Suv/truck - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Reliable Suv/truck (4458 Views)

An SUV Rammed Into Ditch In Awolowo Road (pictures) / Innoson Made-In-Nigeria SUV Worth N5.6m / What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 5:54pm On May 26, 2013
Just wondering, which of these SUVs are more reliable, and less problematic...'03 Fx45, '07 Mercedes ML350, and '07 LR3?

I know that most, if not all cars have issues, but some of these issues are manageable, while others just drain the account, hence; my reason for the comparisons.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by bayooz(m): 7:11pm On May 26, 2013
When in comes to RELIABILTY, try landcruiser, Lexus GX470/ LX470, or 4runner. These vehicles are never cheap but they are rated higher than most others in reliability. Read more from cars.com kbb.com and consumerguide.com carcomplaints.com

2 Likes

Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by albacete(m): 7:23pm On May 26, 2013
Also visit edmunds.com/reviews

1 Like

Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 8:42pm On May 26, 2013
albacete: Also visit edmunds.com/reviews

Yeah, Edmunds is my go-to site for car reviews!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 8:43pm On May 26, 2013
bayooz: When in comes to RELIABILTY, try landcruiser, Lexus GX470/ LX470, or 4runner. These vehicles are never cheap but they are rated higher than most others in reliability. Read more from cars.com kbb.com and consumerguide.com carcomplaints.com

Cheers!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by komekn(m): 5:07pm On May 31, 2013
I have had all three of these vehicles at one tome or the other and my deductions are made in the context of Nigeria.

The real issue is what do you use your car for, now if you live in the Island rarely travel then any of these cars are fine. However, if you get around a lot and drive out of state a lot then we have a whole range of different issues to consider.

The FX45 is essentially a soft roader and will require a lot of TLC, it will also not take kindly to driving across the near off road conditions you will face if you drive Lagos to PH at least 2/3 times a month. The ground clearance is not really good enough when you will need to swim with your car on the odd occasion, in this regard its NO NO.

The choice is between LR3 and the ML350, off road the LR3 wins outright, however on road the ML edges it but not with a huge Margin, reliability the ML wins but again not with a huge margin. its your choice, my choice would be the LR3

1 Like

Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 8:23am On Jun 01, 2013
Thanks for your input.
At the moment, I stay in the east.
I really want an suv that has off-road capabilities, but not a priority.
The fx45,from my online research, is a good one, with little known issues which can be managed or fixed without breaking the bank.

The LR3 seems to be a solid suv, with first class off-road capabilities, but has its issues, which could be costly to fix and maintain...ranging from high gas consumption, to electrical problems and high tire degradation.

The ML350, from what I read, also has its issues.
One of the main problems has to do with the engine, which the remedy is to change the entire engine.
Of course, not everyone would experience such issues, but one really has to take these things into consideration when buying any of these machines.

For me, the main factor in deciding what suv to purchase would be reliability and cost of maintenance and repair, so far... I think the fx45 trumps all.

My opinion is based on some online reviews of those that have used these cars, and other auto review sites, such as carcomplaints.com, and Edmunds.com, so it may not represent the general view of some of the other car owners.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by albacete(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2013
What about the popular highlander?
Or better still, the forerunner?
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 10:09am On Jun 01, 2013
albacete: What about the popular highlander?
Or better still, the forerunner?

The 2008 Highlander is way overpriced, and I really don't want to get the older models, their styling looks dated, compared to the 2007 LR3, ML350 and 03 FX45.
Same with the 4runner...

A price range of $10-15,000 max!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by albacete(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2013
Kingsteve:

The 2008 Highlander is way overpriced, and I really don't want to get the older models, their styling looks dated, compared to the 2007 LR3, ML350 and 03 FX45.
Same with the 4runner...

A price range of $10-15,000 max!

But with the high(?) cost of purchase comes reliability, availability of spare parts and low fuel consumption.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 10:33am On Jun 01, 2013
I wish I had that extra cash to spare, then I might consider the highlander, unfortunately, I'm working on a budget, and the max I can go is $15,000!

The ones within my budget are the Benz, Land rover, and infinity brands.

I'm sure that the highlander also has its issues, just that I haven't checked, after all, Toyota had numerous issues with the camry, not like the brand is immune to problems.

The high price tag of the highlander and 4runner may not be justified after all, when compared to the other brands I named.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by albacete(m): 11:09am On Jun 01, 2013
Ok. never knew infiniti and landrover are that cheap. So what's the catch?
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2013
albacete: Ok. never knew infiniti and landrover are that cheap. So what's the catch?

Well, wouldn't say they're cheap, but 'affordable' would suffice.
The '03 infinity fx45 is affordable or less expensive because it's an 03 model, yet; still beats most recent cars in regard to comfort, luxury and innovation.
Cost= $9-10,000

The 07 LR3 is also affordable, considering it's packed with state of the art tech, which comes with its problems though (electrical) but a solid suv nonetheless.
Cost=$13-14,000

There's no catch... It is what it is!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by sultaan(m): 1:28pm On Jun 01, 2013
'07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for a lot less than those listed with the bonus of jeep and ml350 sharing a lot of parts(made by same company then)
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 2:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
sultaan: '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for a lot less than those listed with the bonus of jeep and ml350 sharing a lot of parts(made by same company then)

American cars...not really a fan of their vehicles.
Anyway, about the Grand Cherokee, so many have complained about the car stalling (stopping unexpectedly during driving) which can be very dangerous, and also problems with acceleration (fails to accelerate sometimes)

Like I said before, most cars have their fair share of problems, but some have manageable and inexpensive repair costs and maintenance, while others are just too darn expensive to repair and maintain.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by sultaan(m): 10:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
Kingsteve:

American cars...not really a fan of their vehicles.
Anyway, about the Grand Cherokee, so many have complained about the car stalling (stopping unexpectedly during driving) which can be very dangerous, and also problems with acceleration (fails to accelerate sometimes)

Like I said before, most cars have their fair share of problems, but some have manageable and inexpensive repair costs and maintenance, while others are just too darn expensive to repair and maintain.

Who where?

I understand nobody likes american car because they heard that .....

But they all love American Spec, so why do you think they make those cars to American spec if they were not actually competing with American level of luxury,comfort, and gizmos.
I will take a Jeep @$8k instead of ML for $5k more, but that is me.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 10:51pm On Jun 01, 2013
sultaan:

Who where?

I understand nobody likes american car because they heard that .....

But they all love American Spec, so why do you think they make those cars to American spec if they were not actually competing with American level of luxury,comfort, and gizmos.
I will take a Jeep @$8k instead of ML for $5k more, but that is me.

well, it's not about hearsay, but a notion that has been confirmed by those that have used some American cars.
Not that all American cars are poorly built or generally unreliable, but a good number of them just don't cut it!
Yes, other Manufacturers build some of their cars, specially for the American market, and also...for the European market as well, so let's not assume, that they ONLY BUILD LUXURY CARS FOR THE AMERICAN MARKET.
Some people woould opt for the American spec, while some would opt for the European spec.

A good example of this is the Honda Accord, personally, I prefer the Euro Accord, to the American spec...why?
Because the Euro Accord, in my opinion has more features,and better sleek styling than the American Spec, and one of these features is the indicators, which are located on the side mirrors.
All Euro Accords from 04 ( I think) till date, have the indicators on their side mirrors, unlike the American spec, which had it on the latter models.
My point...not all American specs are better than other versions!

Anyway, back to the topic...the Grand Cherokee looks good, but I wouldn't buy one, based on some of the negative reviews.
Some problems are manageable, while others are nightmares!
The choice is there for everyone to make!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by sultaan(m): 4:05am On Jun 02, 2013
You're right good luck with your choice.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by johnwell(m): 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2013
"For me, the main factor in deciding what suv to purchase would be reliability and cost of maintenance and repair, so far... I think the fx45 trumps all"

For me the FX45 scores high marks, its far better and economical than others.

Go for it & you will never regret it.

1 Like

Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 6:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nice...
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by komekn(m): 1:30am On Jun 03, 2013
Kingsteve your diction implies someone who is informed and educated.

You make an assumption about fuel economy implying cause the FX4 is Japanese its fuel economy will be better than the ML & the LR3 I disagree, the FX45 has a V8 4.5 engine, LR3 not that far off with a Jaguar v8 4.2 engine, finally the ML has a v6 3.5 you will find it will be the most economical.

One of my friends had the ML350 2007 and drives every other weekend from Lagos to Asaba - Sapele - Warri and back to lagos on some quite inhospitable roads and did that for near 3 years no problems. I would say the ML has a better build quality than FX, is far more robust and by far more practical, have you seen how small the boot is ? you can barely get one good sized suitcase in the boot. However, if its looks you want the FX WINS.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by albacete(m): 7:15am On Jun 03, 2013
^^
Can u judge d fuel economy of a car based on cylinder and engine alone.? Just curious.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 8:01am On Jun 03, 2013
komekn: Kingsteve your diction implies someone who is informed and educated.

Thanks!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 8:16am On Jun 03, 2013
komekn:

You make an assumption about fuel economy implying cause the FX4 is Japanese its fuel economy will be better than the ML & the LR3 I disagree, the FX45 has a V8 4.5 engine, LR3 not that far off with a Jaguar v8 4.2 engine, finally the ML has a v6 3.5 you will find it will be the most economical.

My opinion is not based on assumptions, rather; from online reviews of the Suvs.
You're right though about the ML350, it has a better fuel economy than most of the other Suvs, in fact, some users were surprised at the fuel efficiency of the suv.

About the LR3, because of its heavy body, most users complained about visiting the gas station more often than not!

The fx45 is not so bad on fuel, regardless of its massive V8 powered engine, although, fuel consumption would depend on the driving style of the individual.
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by cretin: 11:05am On Jun 03, 2013
get the 4th gen 4runner 03 to 09 models...quite relaible v8 accelerates fatser and is very smooth.
the benz is alos good...but i prefer the 4runner cos its a toyota so parts plenty everywhere...do ur research well shaa...there are car forums dedicated to those cars...go there and search.......b4 i bought my 4runner, was confused abt what to buy v6, v8..but after researching on toyota4runner. forums..i finally setlled for a v6 model
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Originalsly: 1:52pm On Jun 03, 2013
@OP...I think you need to sort out your priorities before making a decision. Which is most important? Looks?...then get the FX45.One that can cope very well with off road? Toyota...whatever year your budget can afford...or must it be a Highlander? Mercedes and LR3 are very good when working fine but mysterious shut downs haunt them. There is a good reason why you see Toyota being used in remote expeditions. It is good to google info on the vehicles but at the end of the day...like someone said earlier...you have to consider the Nigerian conditions and factors....quality of gas...availability of spare parts/competent mechanics/maintenance costs since your funds are limited etc.Is not garri u about to buy!
Re: Most Reliable Suv/truck by Kingsteve(m): 2:04pm On Jun 03, 2013
Thanks for the advice!
Like I previously said, my criteria for buying an SUV, are: low repair and maintenance costs, reliability and to some extent...styling!
Off-roadiing is not really a priority when making a decision, but as long as it has AWD (All wheel drive), for the occasional bad roads, then I'm good to go!
I really don't like cars that age or look out-dated easily.
The 03 FX45 is still a head turner, after all these years, same as the 07 LR3 and ML350, hence; my consideration and comparisons bewtween them!

(1) (Reply)

Chat With A Mechanic Online.... / Can My Car Be Sold Without My Presence? / Pre-order 2011 Chevrolet Volt: USES PETROL/ELECTRIC (charger Included, 4.85M+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.