Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

What Is Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Sin? (2005 Views)

What Is SIN Against The Holy Spirit? / How Does The Fact That There Are Gay Animals Impact The Idea That Gay Is Sin? / What Is Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06am On May 27, 2013
What Is Sin?
May. 26, 2013

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4).

The Bible warns that "the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23), and "the soul that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezekiel 18:20). These are strange days, however, and there are many "that call evil good, and good evil" (Isaiah 5:20). Who is to say what is right and wrong, when even our U.S. Supreme Court implies that there are no absolutes?

God is the one who defines sin because it is He who will judge sin. The definition is multifaceted, for sin takes many forms. Most basically, as our text says, sin is the transgression of the law--not just certain laws, but all of God's law. "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all" (James 2:10).

But there must be more than just formal obedience to God's commands, for "all unrighteousness is sin" (1 John 5:17). Furthermore, there are sins of omission, as well as sins of commission. "To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin" (James 4:17).

When there is no specific law or command to guide our actions in a particular situation, the principle to follow is that of faith--that is, the confident inward assurance that we are doing that which honours the Lord, for "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23).

There is much more that could be noted, but it is clear that no one could ever measure up even to these demands, "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). All of us deserve the wages of sin, "but God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8 ). Now "the righteousness of God without the law is manifested. . . . Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ" (Romans 3:21-22). HMM

For more . . . .

4 Likes

Re: What Is Sin? by Ayomivic(m): 12:25pm On May 27, 2013
glory be to God in the highest
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:24pm On May 27, 2013
Ayomivic:

glory be to God in the highest

Amen, Hallelujah!
Re: What Is Sin? by NoProphecy: 8:41pm On May 27, 2013
Might makes right.
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 8:51pm On May 27, 2013
sin is the transgression of the law--not just certain laws, but all of God's law.

Sin is simply disobedience to God. But it doesn't say anything about good. It can be further said that an act of mercy or grace against the commands of God is sin. Man by doing good can sin if he goes against God's instructions. Even if God commands the absurd, it is a sin to fail to obey that command.

Whatever good man does, is more honourable than obedience.
Re: What Is Sin? by Vansnickers: 10:42pm On May 27, 2013
Ayomivic: glory be to God in the highest

OLAADEGBU:

Amen, Hallelujah!

Re: What Is Sin? by Vansnickers: 10:45pm On May 27, 2013
Kay 17:

Sin is simply disobedience to God. But it doesn't say anything about good. It can be further said that an act of mercy or grace against the commands of God is sin. Man by doing good can sin if he goes against God's instructions. Even if God commands the absurd, it is a sin to fail to obey that command.

God's instructions?! God is a very generic term. There are several gods from Poseidon to Horus.
If i obey a commandment of my god Brahma that goes against a commandment of Yahweh(your god), does that mean i have sinned?
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:25am On May 28, 2013
Kay 17:

Can you be good without God, are you a good person?
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:29am On May 28, 2013
Van snickers:

Baby talk. wink

Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 12:13pm On May 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Can you be good without God, are you a good person?

Conceding to objective good, God and Good are separable, and God can decide not to do good as a free willed being. Hence commands of God are possibly bad.

On the other hand, man can be good because as I said earlier, Good is separate from God.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On May 28, 2013
Kay 17:

Conceding to objective good, God and Good are separable, and God can decide not to do good as a free willed being. Hence commands of God are possibly bad.

On the other hand, man can be good because as I said earlier, Good is separate from God.

Let me compare your goodness to God's standard and see how you will stand: Answer the following questions conscientiously:

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself? ____YES ___NO
Have I ever used God's name in vain? ____YES ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy? ____YES ___NO
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly? ____YES ___NO
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)? ____YES ___NO
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)? ____YES ___NO
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)? ____YES ___NO
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)? ____YES ___NO
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)? ____YES ___NO
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 12:42pm On May 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Let me compare your goodness to God's standard and see how you will stand: Answer the following questions conscientiously:

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO

Ola, did you understand what I posted? God and Good are not the same.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On May 28, 2013
Kay 17:

Ola, did you understand what I posted? God and Good are not the same.

Yes. Only God is good and He is good all the time.

"And Jesus said to him, Why do you call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God" (Mark 10:18).
Re: What Is Sin? by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 28, 2013
Van snickers:

God's instructions?! God is a very generic term. There are several gods from Poseidon to Horus.
If i obey a commandment of my god Brahma that goes against a commandment of Yahweh(your god), does that mean i have sinned?
You actually assume he is intelligent enough to give you a response to that poser? Bros...you overrate these people. They simply do not think.
Re: What Is Sin? by Vansnickers: 7:55pm On May 28, 2013
ROSSIKE: You actually assume he is intelligent enough to give you a response to that poser? Bros...you overrate these people. They simply do not think.

LOL! Don't mind the boy.
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 8:42am On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. Only God is good and He is good all the time.

"And Jesus said to him, Why do you call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God" (Mark 10:18).

God is a freewilled being, who can depart from Good. Also if you claim God only can do good, then you introduce the fatalism that man isn't a moral being/agent and hence can not be responsible for sin or evil.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On May 29, 2013
Kay 17:

God is a freewilled being, who can depart from Good. Also if you claim God only can do good, then you introduce the fatalism that man isn't a moral being/agent and hence can not be responsible for sin or evil.

The uncreated Creator is intrinsically good and whatever He says or does is good. God formed man in His own image. Man got deformed when he disobeyed God. Jesus transformed man when He exchanged His righteousness for our sinful nature.

The infinite uncreated Creator is not responsible to anyone. He alone defines what is good and if man claims any iota of goodness at all it's because of the traces of the image of God in him. Jesus restores us back to that image when we accept His righteousness in place of our self righteousness.

God has given us the freewill to choose good or evil, life or death. Our decision then determines our destination because God who is Love is also the righteous Judge who we are all accountable to at the end of the day.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death."

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments. Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past. We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48 ), neither is our heart pure. On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame. Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed. We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us.

His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us:

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell. Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath. Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible

daily and always obey what you read; God will never let you down. Peace.
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 11:20am On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The uncreated Creator is intrinsically good and whatever He says or does is good. God formed man in His own image. Man got deformed when he disobeyed God. Jesus transformed man when He exchanged His righteousness for our sinful nature.

The infinite uncreated Creator is not responsible to anyone. He alone defines what is good and if man claims any iota of goodness at all it's because of the traces of the image of God in him. Jesus restores us back to that image when we accept His righteousness in place of our self righteousness.

God has given us the freewill to choose good or evil, life or death. Our decision then determines our destination because God who is Love is also the righteous Judge who we are all accountable to at the end of the day.

Ola, be clear on this. God doesn't choose to do Good, right? Cos he is by attribute good. If so, God isn't a moral being!
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:24am On May 29, 2013
Kay 17:

Ola, be clear on this. God doesn't choose to do Good, right? Cos he is by attribute good. If so, God isn't a moral being!

God is the absolute of our morality. If man claims to be moral at all he is created in the image of God. Our morality cannot measure up to the standard of God's.
Re: What Is Sin? by annyplenty(m): 11:26am On May 29, 2013
SIN is a very terrible and abominable thing before God.

For some teachings i once posted on similar topic, you can see

https://www.nairaland.com/1256318/end-time-bible-teaching-awareness-sin
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 11:43am On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

God is the absolute of our morality. If man claims to be moral at all he is created in the image of God. Our morality cannot measure up to the standard of God's.

If God doesn't have the choice between Good and Evil, then he is amoral! It is so clear. He is not a moral being!
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 11:45am On May 29, 2013
annyplenty:
SIN is a very terrible and abominable thing before God.

For some teachings i once posted on similar topic, you can see

https://www.nairaland.com/1256318/end-time-bible-teaching-awareness-sin

Upon what basis does God punish people who are evil? Can I kill a murderer or a genocidaire for his actions because I'm a moral being? Can I kill or rape a rapist for his actions?
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On May 29, 2013
Kay 17:

If God doesn't have the choice between Good and Evil, then he is amoral! It is so clear. He is not a moral being!

Atheists are the amoral ones. They have no distinction between good and evil because they have no moral absolutes.

In contrast to this lack of absolute values, the Bible teaches that right and wrong, good and evil, are absolutes that are ultimately and immutably defined by God. He has placed in the human heart a recognition of these absolutes—the conscience—that tells us right from wrong. When a person goes so far in insubordination that he or she is no longer able to recognize this distinction, then destruction hovers.

The moment atheists begin to be consistent with their philosophies is the time they will realise that they are fighting a lost cause.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:13pm On May 29, 2013
Kay 17:

Upon what basis does God punish people who are evil? Can I kill a murderer or a genocidaire for his actions because I'm a moral being? Can I kill or rape a rapist for his actions?

Why would you even want to kill a murderer since you believe humans are just an accidental combination of chemicals?
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 12:39pm On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Atheists are the amoral ones. They have no distinction between good and evil because they have no moral absolutes.
so you have accepted God is amoral?! If you say atheists are amoral, then they can't be held responsible for their actions. It wld be inconsistent for God to punish unbelievers.

In contrast to this lack of absolute values, the Bible teaches that right and wrong, good and evil, are absolutes that are ultimately and immutably defined by God. He has placed in the human heart a recognition of these absolutes—the conscience—that tells us right from wrong. When a person goes so far in insubordination that he or she is no longer able to recognize this distinction, then destruction hovers]

The moment atheists begin to be consistent with their philosophies is the time they will realise that they are fighting a lost cause.

Pointless.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:34pm On May 29, 2013
Kay 17: so you have accepted God is amoral?! If you say atheists are amoral, then they can't be held responsible for their actions. It wld be inconsistent for God to punish unbelievers.

If you are insisting that atheists are moral or that you behave morally you must also admit that absolute morality doesn't comport with atheism. Otherwise, why would you think there ought to be an absolute standard of behaviour that all people should obey if you believe that the universe and the people in it are just accidents of nature? Does this not expose your inconsistency?
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 2:28pm On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you are insisting that atheists are moral or that you behave morally you must also admit that absolute morality doesn't comport with atheism. Otherwise, why would you think there ought to be an absolute standard of behaviour that all people should obey if you believe that the universe and the people in it are just accidents of nature? Does this not expose your inconsistency?

There simply ought to be independent standards of Good and Evil. If you mention an absolute standard which Good is to be measured by, it becomes subjective. Don't you realize that?!
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:51pm On May 29, 2013
Kay 17:

There simply ought to be independent standards of Good and Evil. If you mention an absolute standard which Good is to be measured by, it becomes subjective. Don't you realize that?!

No. We are all bound by a universal objective moral code which doesn't make sense to the subjective atheistic worldview. Human beings are valuable, they are ot just chemicals or animals but have genuine freedom of choice and are accountable for their actions. Any standard of our own creation is what would be subjective and arbitrary.
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 11:31pm On May 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

No. We are all bound by a universal objective moral code which doesn't make sense to the subjective atheistic worldview. Human beings are valuable, they are ot just chemicals or animals but have genuine freedom of choice and are accountable for their actions. Any standard of our own creation is what would be subjective and arbitrary.

Mr Ola, stop sounding like a broken record and don't make me sound like one too. I have not insisted on a subjective moral code yet, you have to accept all the necessary implications of objective good. God must not be intrinisical good, because it wld rob off his moral nature and he wld be amoral simple! That's all I have to say.
Re: What Is Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On May 30, 2013
Who can question God?

At God's Good Pleasure
May. 28, 2013

"But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased" (Psalm 115:3).

We often raise questions about God's actions, but He is never obligated to explain to us His reasons. It is enough to know that it pleased Him, for whatever He does is right by definition.

For example, if someone asks why God created the universe, we must answer simply that it was for His "pleasure they are and were created" (Revelation 4:11). "Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places" (Psalm 135:6). He does not have to give account to us, for we also were created at His pleasure.

And why did He allow His Son to suffer and die on the cross? Although "he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him" and to "make his soul an offering for sin," knowing that eventually "the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand" (Isaiah 53:9-10).

We may never be able to understand why God has done this, especially for sinners such as us, but we don't have to understand. "It pleased God . . . to save them that believe" (1 Corinthians 1:21), not them that understand.

We can be sure that God does have perfect reasons for everything He does, and perhaps we shall understand it all in eternity. In the meantime, we are simply (with Paul) to be thankful that "it pleased God, who . . . called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me" (Galatians 1:15-16). He has, in some way beyond comprehension, "predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will" (Ephesians 1:5), and that is enough to know for now. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: What Is Sin? by Kay17: 12:34pm On May 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Who can question God?

^^^
You are sure God's reasons for his action are good, bUT you don't know the reasons?! How is it possible?! Is Christianity a sham?! Either you know his reasons are good cos you have weighed it or you don't know at all!

Value judgements can not be made in ignorance with due respect.

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Secret Of Why Christains Should Not Use The Niv Bible / Is Man Merely A Freakish Odd Ape?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.