Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,261 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! (1928 Views)

Saudi Top Cleric Blasts Al-qaeda, IS As ‘enemy No 1′ Of Islam / Nearly Half Of Nigerian Muslims Favor Al Qaeda: I'm Worried / Muslims Reject Al-qaeda Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 3:40pm On May 27, 2013
Opinions of al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden remain largely negative among the Muslim publics surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project. Majorities of Muslims in five of the seven countries surveyed in 2010 express unfavorable views of the extremist group and say they have little or no confidence in its leader. Only in Nigeria do Muslims offer views that are, on balance, positive toward al Qaeda and bin Laden with roughly half (49%) expressing a favorable view of al Qaeda compared with 34% with an unfavorable opinion. Similarly, Nigerians express support for bin Laden by a 48%-to-40% margin.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/nigerians-support-al-qaeda/
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 4:52pm On May 27, 2013
I and all the Muslims I know did not take part in the poll or at least they never mentioned it and I know they would have if they had been questioned. This statistics is a lie!

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 12:55am On May 28, 2013
AbdH: I and all the Muslims i know did not take part in the poll or at least they never mentioned it and I know they would have if they had been questioned. This statistics is a lie!

Be honest...you know some of your Muslim friends support Al Queda.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 6:36am On May 28, 2013
^^^ Some of my friends? No!!!
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 6:40am On May 28, 2013
AbdH: ^^^ Some of my friends? No!!!

According to that poll, 49% of Naija Muslims support Al Qaeda. About 75% support chopping off hands as punishment for stealing, and about 60% support stoning people for violating Sharia law.

If you have ZERO friends who support any of these things, then you are obviously in the extreme minority in Naija, and should keep quiet. You obviously don't speak for Naija muslims as a whole.

Do you even live in Naija? I bet you live in the UK, or the US.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 7:54am On May 28, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

According to that poll, 49% of Naija Muslims support Al Qaeda. About 75% support chopping off hands as punishment for stealing, and about 60% support stoning people for violating Sharia law.

If you have ZERO friends who support any of these things, then you are obviously in the extreme minority in Naija, and should keep quiet. You obviously don't speak for Naija muslims as a whole.

Do you even live in Naija? I bet you live in the UK, or the US.
The poll is about the activities of al-qaeda and not the shariah. I still stand on my point.

2 Likes

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:00am On May 28, 2013
AbdH:
The poll is about the activities of al-qaeda and not the shariah. I still stand on my point.

What point? That the poll is a conspiracy? Give me a break!

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by Metallurgist: 1:48pm On May 28, 2013
One man terrorist is anoda man's freedom fighter, alqeada fight the united state that makes killing muslims in our lands like sport, logicaly the enemy of my enemy is my friend, its the after effect and barbarity of america war to control muslims resources and lies especially that of iraq on how saddam soppose weapons of mass destruction, the daily killing of muslims in pakistan, the cases of black water( a millitary contractors) bought to iraq to fight as U.S soldiers that make alqeada appalling to who eva despise tyrany and oppression not just muslims
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 8:58pm On May 28, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

What point? That the poll is a conspiracy? Give me a break!

I don't trust the poll. Where in Nigeria was it carried out? Majority of the Muslims I've spoken with don't support Al-Qaeda's actions.
If it is about shariah, supporting shariah is different from supporting Al-Qaeda. Many Muslims want Shariah and I am inclusive.

2 Likes

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by vedaxcool(m): 8:35am On May 31, 2013
It is being dishonest to claim a report that says

Only in Nigeria do Muslims offer views that are, on balance, positive toward al Qaeda and bin Laden with roughly half (49%) expressing a favourable view of al Qaeda

So the thread should be named 49% of Nigerian have favourably view towards al qaeda,

Please Moderators take note, as the thread name is devious and deceitful!

Now op did you download the entire report and read the contradiction to the end claim?
in page 29, the question was asked
Q31 How concerned, if at all, are you about the rise of Islamic extremism
around the WORLD these days? Are you very concerned, somewhat
concerned, not too concerned or not at all concerned?

guess what,

[size=18pt]73% of Nigerians say they are concerned about the rise of islamic extremism.[/size]

literal showing a contradiction between the entire report, if Nigerians in your words support al qaeda an extremist organisation, then we ask, how is it at the same time, they fear the rise of Islamic organisation? Go and think and come up with an answer.

Q34e For each, tell me how much confidence you have in each leader to do
the right thing regarding world affairs – a lot of confidence, some
confidence, not too much confidence, or no confidence at all: e. Osama bin
Laden

Spring, 2010 43 No confidence at all

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 11:30am On Jun 08, 2013
vedaxcool: It is being dishonest to claim a report that says

Only in Nigeria do Muslims offer views that are, on balance, positive toward al Qaeda and bin Laden with roughly half (49%) expressing a favourable view of al Qaeda

So the thread should be named 49% of Nigerian have favourably view towards al qaeda,

Please Moderators take note, as the thread name is devious and deceitful!

Now op did you download the entire report and read the contradiction to the end claim?
in page 29, the question was asked
Q31 How concerned, if at all, are you about the rise of Islamic extremism
around the WORLD these days? Are you very concerned, somewhat
concerned, not too concerned or not at all concerned?

guess what,

[size=18pt]73% of Nigerians say they are concerned about the rise of islamic extremism.[/size]

literal showing a contradiction between the entire report, if Nigerians in your words support al qaeda an extremist organisation, then we ask, how is it at the same time, they fear the rise of Islamic organisation? Go and think and come up with an answer.

Q34e For each, tell me how much confidence you have in each leader to do
the right thing regarding world affairs – a lot of confidence, some
confidence, not too much confidence, or no confidence at all: e. Osama bin
Laden

Spring, 2010 43 No confidence at all

"Extremism" is a relative term.

I wonder what is "extreme" to people who think that cutting off hands is normal. I hope we never have to find out.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by vedaxcool(m): 12:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
^
The bottom line is your report refutes your conclusion!
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by BetaThings: 2:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

The extreme minority who don't believe in suicide? There are 365 days in a year. You need less than 10,000 people to ensure that there is a sucide bombing incident every day! So what is the population of muslims
And you, sir, speak for or can identify people who speak for Nigerian muslims as a whole?

bobthebuilder99:

Be honest...you know some of your Muslim friends support Al Queda.

Really, your asking people to be honest (given your skewed interpretation of this report) puts you in the same spot with a policeman preaching against corruption!

Anyway every pew report is used by Christians to smear Islam!
https://www.nairaland.com/431142/71-nigerian-muslims-desire-sharia

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by thehomer: 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2013
AbdH: I and all the Muslims I know did not take part in the poll or at least they never mentioned it and I know they would have if they had been questioned. This statistics is a lie!

If it was a random sample, then the results are accurate. If you disagree, then it is because you don't understand statistics.

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 12:37pm On Jun 09, 2013
thehomer:

If it was a random sample, then the results are accurate. If you disagree, then it is because you don't understand statistics.
Oh please, the statistics is unbelievable. Like I said, most of the Muslims I've met don't support Al-qaeda but see nothing wrong in Shariah. Al-qaeda and Shariah are two different things. That people were probably picked randomly in Borno State where terrorists abound is not statistics as far as I am concerned.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by AbdH: 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2013
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 1:09pm On Jun 09, 2013
AbdH:
Oh please, the statistics is unbelievable. Like I said, most of the Muslims I've met don't support Al-qaeda but see nothing wrong in Shariah. Al-qaeda and Shariah are two different things. That people were probably picked randomly in Borno State where terrorists abound is not statistics as far as I am concerned.

Once again, do you even live in Nigeria?

A preacher that said that EVERY MUSLIM SHOULD BE A TERRORIST, and just gave a lecture at the National Mosque where he drew a crowd of thousands.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by thehomer: 8:27pm On Jun 09, 2013
AbdH:

So your complaint is that they didn't interview your friends? This just shows that you don't understand statistics. Don't Muslims in Borno State count as Muslims? Or is it only those that you've met that qualify to be called Muslims?

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by BetaThings: 10:00am On Jun 10, 2013
thehomer:

Anyone can claim that their sample is random. But is it really?
And it would be useful to learn statistics from you especially what makes it infallible
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by BetaThings: 10:09am On Jun 10, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

Once again, do you even live in Nigeria?

A preacher that said that EVERY MUSLIM SHOULD BE A TERRORIST, and just gave a lecture at the National Mosque where he drew a crowd of thousands.

So are you also sure that every muslim who attended that lecture had heard your own interpretation of that lecture on terrorism
I first heard of honour killing from a Christian first. And we all know that honour killing is not Islamic
Why is a muslim lecturer coming to Nigeria giving so much issues to Christians when we don't care whoever you invite to Nigeria notwithstanding that whenever political office holders had not fought on behalf of the Church, Christian leaders have never failed to raise armies

Let lecturers speak and I am assure SSS is not asleep!

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by vedaxcool(m): 11:17am On Jun 10, 2013
^
You would notice his thread has failed, a report that states clearly that 73% of Nigerian are concerned about the rise of Islamic extremism creating the dilema how did 49% came about viewing al qaeda favourably anycase it indicates he neither read the report in its entirety and even resorted to misquoting the report, which use the term view favorable to mean support, to save face he now raised the issue of zakir naik, which again underscores the word evangelism by lies - as again he does what he is best at, misquoting people to say what he wants them to say, that he has raised repeatedly in other threads. I really need to do a thread on Evangelism by lies.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 7:12am On Jun 11, 2013
vedaxcool: ^
You would notice his thread has failed, a report that states clearly that 73% of Nigerian are concerned about the rise of Islamic extremism creating the dilema how did 49% came about viewing al qaeda favourably anycase it indicates he neither read the report in its entirety and even resorted to misquoting the report, which use the term view favorable to mean support, to save face he now raised the issue of zakir naik, which again underscores the word evangelism by lies - as again he does what he is best at, misquoting people to say what he wants them to say, that he has raised repeatedly in other threads. I really need to do a thread on Evangelism by lies.

You really should learn to read carefully.

Extreme is a relative term. To the average African person, gay marriage is extreme. To the average oyinbos, gay marriage is NOT extreme. Think of your own examples.

If someone thinks it's normal to kill someone who leaves Islam, or to chop of the hands of thieves, they can still say that they are concerned about extremism. The question is WHAT does extremism mean to them? To Boko Haram, I'm sure any type of Islam that preaches nonviolence is extremism to them.

This poll is very clear about what it says. It says that most Naija Muslims support violent punishments for violating Sharia laws (like chopping off hands for stealing), and it says that 49% have a positive view of Al Queda and approve of them. Now...what those people consider to be extremism is most definitely not what they already said they believe. No one who supports Al Queda thinks Al Queda is extreme.

Think next time. The 73% of Naija Muslims who are worried about religious extremism might just consider you to be the extreme one. According to the polls, you are already in the minority.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by BetaThings: 8:56am On Jun 11, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

You really should learn to read carefully.

Extreme is a relative term. To the average African person, gay marriage is extreme. To the average oyinbos, gay marriage is NOT extreme. Think of your own examples.

The oyinbos have been brainwashed for years. homo-sickness is abnormal and unnatural. When you realise that indulging in such a practice can lead to an adult wearing diapers, the Oyinbos who really know will see it as more than extreme

bobthebuilder99:
If someone thinks it's normal to kill someone who leaves Islam, or to chop of the hands of thieves, they can still say that they are concerned about extremism. The question is WHAT does extremism mean to them? To Boko Haram, I'm sure any type of Islam that preaches nonviolence is extremism to them.

Hyping the issue of cutting hands is designed to make it look extreme. Nigerians have always lynched thieves. There was a tv coverage of the incident of a 12-yr old bouy lynched around national stadium in Lagos about 7 years ago. Afterthe posturing over ALUU, we have had lynching in Warri and Mushin area. These are urban centres

The extremism you speak of exists in the minds of people who are repeating arguments made by their handlers and opinion moulders based abroad

Is that not the reason why we keep deceiving ourselves about a well-defined death penalty process while the police just keep administering the death penalty whimsically?

bobthebuilder99:
This poll is very clear about what it says. It says that most Naija Muslims support violent punishments for violating Sharia laws (like chopping off hands for stealing)

Just like 70%of Christians have been reported (by the same Pew Research) to support ruling this couyntry by Biblical law. So you would find such a thinking would CRIMINALISE saying anything negative about your priests and of course Jesus Christ (PBUH).

Not that I want to abuse anybody (Islam forbids abusing leadars of other religions), but just to show you what you Christians also want and you would not open any thread about it

The poll is clear in its inconsistency. If the 49% who support of Al Qaeda do not see it as extreme, what exactly do they see as extreme to be included within the 73% who fear extremism? Please when people do shoddy work, you should be courageous enough to resist the temptation to use it to malign your favourite whipping boy - Islam

bobthebuilder99: and it says that 49% have a positive view of Al Queda and approve of them. Now...what those people consider to be extremism is most definitely not what they already said they believe. No one who supports Al Queda thinks Al Queda is extreme.

To start with, if 49% of Muslims had a good view of Al Qaeda, you would be posting on Nairaland from your grave!
If 49% of Muslims had a good view of Al Qaeda, at most only 51% would be worried about extremism, not 73%
That is the math. Tell me what else an Al Qaeda supporter would view as extreme! You support this report, explain that inconsistency

Look at this video about how statistics even from popular organisation don't add up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz_cjaeao4

But people like you continue to defend it like faux (fox) news do because the report is a handy tool to clobber Muslims by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Totz8aa2Gg

bobthebuilder99:
Think next time. The 73% of Naija Muslims who are worried about religious extremism might just consider you to be the extreme one. According to the polls, you are already in the minority.
And the minority, according to the "polls", is less than 49% unless percent is no longer based on 100!

2 Likes

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by vedaxcool(m): 9:28am On Jun 11, 2013
^

I couldn't have done better, may Allah reward you abundantly, amin. Any one who argues the above is no simply being dishonest at any cost!
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by thehomer: 12:44pm On Jun 11, 2013
BetaThings:
Anyone can claim that their sample is random. But is it really?
And it would be useful to learn statistics from you especially what makes it infallible

Sure anyone can claim it but then, that starts sounding like a conspiracy theory. You do realize that Nigeria wasn't the only country surveyed. Do you think that Muslims don't believe what they said? Or that people just set out to make them look bad?

Oh no. Don't learn it from me, you'll claim that I'm biased against Muslims. Please go to a school or just look around for free statistics texts.

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 1:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
BetaThings:

The oyinbos have been brainwashed for years. homo-sickness is abnormal and unnatural. When you realise that indulging in such a practice can lead to an adult wearing diapers, the Oyinbos who really know will see it as more than extreme

You are already proving my point. Many in the West would consider your view extreme. You obviously don't consider it extreme. As I said, extremism is relative. Ask two people what their version of religious extremism is, and you are sure to get two different answers. The answers could even be opposite one another.

Hyping the issue of cutting hands is designed to make it look extreme. Nigerians have always lynched thieves. There was a tv coverage of the incident of a 12-yr old bouy lynched around national stadium in Lagos about 7 years ago. Afterthe posturing over ALUU, we have had lynching in Warri and Mushin area. These are urban centres

Comparing chopping off hands to the ALUU 4 murders does not help prove your point. The ALUU 4's murders were criticized by almost every Nigerian. No one thinks jungle justice is a good thing. Lynching people is always bad, period. There is no hype needed to make chopping off hands seem extreme to most human beings. Just like every Nigerian thought it was extreme when that little boy was lynched. You are not doing a good job of proving your point. If anything, you are just reaffirming that non-Muslim Nigerians view these acts as barbaric. I also see that you conviently ignored the majority that support killing people who leave Islam. I don't think you can find a single Christian in Nigeria that supports that.

The extremism you speak of exists in the minds of people who are repeating arguments made by their handlers and opinion moulders based abroad

Not even sure what this means.

Is that not the reason why we keep deceiving ourselves about a well-defined death penalty process while the police just keep administering the death penalty whimsically?

Is what the reason

Just like 70%of Christians have been reported (by the same Pew Research) to support ruling this couyntry by Biblical law. So you would find such a thinking would CRIMINALISE saying anything negative about your priests and of course Jesus Christ (PBUH).

Not that I want to abuse anybody (Islam forbids abusing leadars of other religions), but just to show you what you Christians also want and you would not open any thread about it

It is hard to understand what you are saying, but I am assuming that you are saying that 70% of Christians think it should be criminal to insult Jesus. That is just not supported by what you said. I looked and could not find any Pew study that said 70% of Christians want this country run by the laws of the bible. Regardless, if there even is a poll, I am willing to bet that no one in that poll said anything about supporting chopping off hands, or killing people who leave Christianity. You will also have to provide some kind of proof for the claim that anyone wants to criminalize insulting priests, or insulting Jesus. That is not consistent with the climate of tolerance we see in Nigerian Christian communities, and with Christians around the world.

The poll is clear in its inconsistency. If the 49% who support of Al Qaeda do not see it as extreme, what exactly do they see as extreme to be included within the 73% who fear extremism? Please when people do shoddy work, you should be courageous enough to resist the temptation to use it to malign your favourite whipping boy - Islam

To start with, if 49% of Muslims had a good view of Al Qaeda, you would be posting on Nairaland from your grave!
If 49% of Muslims had a good view of Al Qaeda, at most only 51% would be worried about extremism, not 73%
That is the math. Tell me what else an Al Qaeda supporter would view as extreme! You support this report, explain that inconsistency

This is easy to explain. You just have a poor understanding of these statistics and what they say. 49% approving of Al Queda does not mean that 49% are members of Al Queda. For example, I can approve of JTF without leaving my house to go kill Boko Haram members. Most of the 49% that approve of Al Queda are clearly the same way. They are happy with what they are doing, but they don't directly participate.

This statement: "At most only 51% would be worried about extremism", is incorrect. Extremism is a separate question from the Al Queda support question. They have no direct relationship with one another. To make it easy for you to understand, allow this example. There are 100 people in a room. 71 of them raise their hands to say that they are worried about Islamic extremism. Of that 71, 20 could be worried about nonviolent religious groups. 30 could be worried about Al Queda type groups. And 21 could be worried about Sufism. When people say that they are worried about religious extremism, it doesn't mean that they all have to be worried about the same thing.

Look at this video about how statistics even from popular organisation don't add up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz_cjaeao4

But people like you continue to defend it like faux (fox) news do because the report is a handy tool to clobber Muslims by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Totz8aa2Gg

And the minority, according to the "polls", is less than 49% unless percent is no longer based on 100!

Those videos are straw men. They have nothing to with the Pew poll. And your comment about Fox News is irrelevant.

Also, you are clearly in the minority in everything I mentioned, such as support for killing people who leave Islam. There is only one stat where that doesn't fit. I stand by what I said.
Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 2:27pm On Jun 11, 2013
More from the poll

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2013
Even more

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 2:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
Lastly

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by vedaxcool(m): 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
^^^

All the above shattered by;

n Nigeria, roughly three-quarters (76%) are concerned about Islamic extremism in their country, including 83% of Muslims and 68% of Christians.

Cherry picking fallacy applies here, in which an individual select only what tickles his fancy grin grin grin grin Evangelism by Lies thou are a great lie

1 Like

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 5:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have gone over this already. YOU HAVE FAILED!
I can see you are already shaking! grin grin grin

Stop trying to derail the thread with nonsense. You saw right there that 58% identify with fundamentalism and see themselves as fighting a battle with people who want to modernize.

Re: POLL - 49% Of Naija Muslims Support Al Qaeda! by bobthebuilder99(m): 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2013
If Maclatunji was honest, he would put this thread on the front page, but he is probably already shaking as well. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can The Christian Section Be As Quiet As The Muslim Section? / A Sticker For Every Muslim / Where Is Allah's Original Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.