Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,948 members, 7,956,572 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:22 PM

The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo (913 Views)

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / Let's End The 'Osu' Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 12:47pm On May 29, 2013
Probabaly 1 of the most flogged issue in Ibo land. Was born and brought up in the west part of Nigeria and can't fathom the extent of this obnoxious tradition. Help with enlightening not just me , and also those who need more insight as to this cultural practice/ or am I not saying some1 mind?
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 29, 2013
Is it still going on?.tot it was thing of d past.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 2:15pm On May 29, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Is it still going on?.tot it was thing of d past.
swt@! As at last year a member of my church's marriage crashed cos of dis osu stuff crap
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 31, 2013
its really unfair, no one chooses their parents. innocent people are not suppose to suffer for the sin of their fathers.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 11:47pm On May 31, 2013
very unfair how once fellow wld resort to such dehumanizing practice
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 02, 2013
Ibos need God intervention..only God can forgive thier sins
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by ezeagu(m): 7:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
urchbarbie: very unfair how once fellow wld resort to such dehumanizing practice

You don't even know what it is so how do you have an opinion? I thought this thread is for information not for baseless opinions?

If i asked half the non-Igbo people why the osu system is demonising they wouldn't know what to say or they'd probably say something wrong like osu babies are eaten for the yam festival or something.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 8:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezeagu:

You don't even know what it is so how do you have an opinion? I thought this thread is for information not for baseless opinions?

If i asked half the non-Igbo people why the osu system is demonising they wouldn't know what to say or they'd probably say something wrong like osu babies are eaten for the yam festival or something.
hey ezeagu? Dat z wat dis thread is for. Stop claiming ibo man n explain wateva view u tink u may av. I ddnt say I knw much on d practise. I said only wat I knw n soliciting for more opinions. If u don't knw wat to say, just stand by!
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by odumchi: 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2013
I have half the mind to close this thread.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 10:25pm On Jun 02, 2013
Odumchi? Feel half or feel full na ur bag of potato chips! I post u no lyk u close.....how does it affect my glo bis. Biko. Kam lepu anya.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by odumchi: 10:37pm On Jun 02, 2013
It's not about me liking it. It's about the legitimacy of this your question. This osu issue has even discussed to the point of exhaustion on this website, and if you were really serious about learning more about it, you would've done some research. This just looks like an attempt to talk down on a people and speak ill on a cultural practice which, according to you, you don't even know much about.

Secondly, osu is not a "flogged issue in Igboland". Osu was something that was only relevant in parts of Imo and Anambra states, to say the least. Before you form an opinion on a people's cultural practices, make sure that you have fully understood that practice instead of terming it an "obnoxious tradition". Although you are free to have your own opinion, as an outsider it is extremely rude for you to but your head into the affairs of a society and tell them what to do and what to do away with.

I nula? Beeni.

1 Like

Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 10:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
urchbarbie: Probabaly 1 of the most flogged issue in Ibo land. Was born and brought up in the west part of Nigeria and can't fathom the extent of this obnoxious tradition. Help with enlightening not just me , and also those who need more insight as to this cultural practice/ or am I not saying some1 mind?

If you are sincere about it then let me give you a sincere truth about the Osu situation. However If you are here for a debate, you can dig the archives where it has been debated exhaustively.

1) Nobody knows an Osu or Diali by merely looking at them.

2) "Diali" or "Amadi" means "freeborn" in Igbo language and refers to the original founders of the land who have not been engaged in serving deities.

3) Osus are not lower than Dialis for during the time of traditional religion, the Osus had upper hand as the servants of the Igbo Gods and the Dialis were inferior but the coming of Christianity made the Dialis superior because traditional religion was abolished and Osus were no longer relevant as servants of God.

4) Culturally Osus abstained from performing in rites needed by the Dialis like the Ozo title and chieftaincy .

5) In today's world, the Osu issue is no longer a communal affair but just a family one as most Igbos no longer live in villages.

6) The only time the Osu/Diali dichotomy is noticeable is during marriage. What I advice people is to always come open about whether being Osu or not when relationship is about starting so that they won't end up heartbroken. Its as easy as asking your parents "can I marry an Osu?" or "can I marry a Moslem/Christian/Odinali?" or "can I marry a Whiteman/Asian/Black?" or "can I have same-sex marriage?" Or "can I marry from Anambra/Imo or "can I marry a Catholic/Protestant/Pentecostal?". If you are the independent type, then it is your personal decision on who to marry.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 11:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
Abagworo! Tanx a lot! U actually got plenty for me. @Odumchi u r now very permitted to shut ur t........oops! Shut d thread since it matters so much to u. Mtchew
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:53pm On Jun 03, 2013
Abagworo:

If you are sincere about it then let me give you a sincere truth about the Osu situation. However If you are here for a debate, you can dig the archives where it has been debated exhaustively.

1) Nobody knows an Osu or Diali by merely looking at them.

2) "Diali" or "Amadi" means "freeborn" in Igbo language and refers to the original founders of the land who have not been engaged in serving deities.

3) Osus are not lower than Dialis for during the time of traditional religion, the Osus had upper hand as the servants of the Igbo Gods and the Dialis were inferior but the coming of Christianity made the Dialis superior because traditional religion was abolished and Osus were no longer relevant as servants of God.

4) Culturally Osus abstained from performing in rites needed by the Dialis like the Ozo title and chieftaincy .

5) In today's world, the Osu issue is no longer a communal affair but just a family one as most Igbos no longer live in villages.

6) The only time the Osu/Diali dichotomy is noticeable is during marriage. What I advice people is to always come open about whether being Osu or not when relationship is about starting so that they won't end up heartbroken. Its as easy as asking your parents "can I marry an Osu?" or "can I marry a Moslem/Christian/Odinali?" or "can I marry a Whiteman/Asian/Black?" or "can I have same-sex marriage?" Or "can I marry from Anambra/Imo or "can I marry a Catholic/Protestant/Pentecostal?". If you are the independent type, then it is your personal decision on who to marry.

I hope this helps.

This is nothing but a bag full of garbage!!! I can authoritatively tell you that you don't know jacksshit about Osu. I hate repeating myself that's why I have avoided this thread. We have Osu in Umuoji and the explanation you gave is ridiculous,misleading and unfounded. You basicly lied about the whole thing to a danm stranger! Shame rest of you,abagoro. You have no dignity in you...tufiaaaa!
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
urchbarbie: Abagworo! Tanx a lot! U actually got plenty for me. @Odumchi u r now very permitted to shut ur t........oops! Shut d thread since it matters so much to u. Mtchew

As for you the curious one just like Odumchi told you it will benefit you better if you humble your self and and gently ask what Osu is all about. People just don't make law for nothing.....There is no smoke without fire. Osu are the ostracized,forsaken and rejected people of a land. Nobody associates with them nor marries from there and their are reasons for these. Its left for you to find out why they are regarded so.
Re: The Osu Caste Practice Amongst The Igbo by urchbarbie(f): 9:18am On Jun 04, 2013
Pls sir, if u av more concrete stuff u want to share, if its not tym consuming, u can send it to my mail via NL. Tanx

(1) (Reply)

EXPOSED!! Is This The New Way Of Fashion? / . / 10 Amazing Facts About Africa I Could Bet My Last Dime You Never Knew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.