Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,967 members, 7,825,023 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. (5089 Views)

Egyptian DNA Tests / Its Official, Igbos Can No Longer Claim To Have Some Isreali DNA :) / Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by brownredwhite: 2:06pm On May 29, 2013
Hello everyone I am a ? I don't know wether to use the term African-American or Black American but I've had 3 dna test done and I know its excessive but I just wanted to know for sure where my ancestors came from and aside from being 13% various European admixture including eastern European jew .7% native American and the biggest was 84% Sub Saharan African and the people that did my last test said my dna most likely came from with 84% the Yoruba. I'm happy that I finally have found this out for myself and my maternal side of the family... most of us African-Americans in my mind are messed up in the head because we don't know where we come from or our history. . I'm proud to be an American I'm just glad I have another people to connect with and learn about as much as I can. Sorry for all that ...but... I wanted to ask you two things 1 is if you think I look like a person who could be a Yoruba or from what tribe? and please can someone tell me good things about the Yoruba I've read the history on line but when I read this site I hear a lot of trash talking I asked my doctor who's Nigerian and he said its like how the English men talks about the French men... just smack talking... well thanks for entertaining my obsession.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by greedie1(f): 2:09pm On May 29, 2013
U defo look yoruba grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 29, 2013
Congratulations sir. I too want to take a DNA test in the future more preferring a autosomes DNA test which test both parental and maternal. I hear autosones DNA test are more detailed and accurate.

One positive thing about the Yoruba is that I believe they were responsible for the Benin kingdom...

I'm not African btw, but I do want to take a DNA test.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by brownredwhite: 4:26pm On May 29, 2013
Thank you . I had the whole shabang done.. Paternal dna is Western European my fathers side is also from Guyana. . He calls his self west indian... I used genebase.com and 23andme.. genebase has my my maternal dna as mtdna D which is native American it was changed from L2b udated chips they said.. but its very informative.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by bigfrancis021: 4:28pm On May 29, 2013
brownredwhite: Hello everyone I am a ? I don't know wether to use the term African-American or Black American but I've had 3 dna test done and I know its excessive but I just wanted to know for sure where my ancestors came from and aside from being 13% various European admixture including eastern European jew .7% native American and the biggest was 84% Sub Saharan African and the people that did my last test said my dna most likely came from with 84% the Yoruba. I'm happy that I finally have found this out for myself and my maternal side of the family... most of us African-Americans in my mind are messed up in the head because we don't know where we come from or our history. . I'm proud to be an American I'm just glad I have another people to connect with and learn about as much as I can. Sorry for all that ...but... I wanted to ask you two things 1 is if you think I look like a person who could be a Yoruba or from what tribe? and please can someone tell me good things about the Yoruba I've read the history on line but when I read this site I hear a lot of trash talking I asked my doctor who's Nigerian and he said its like how the English men talks about the French men... just smack talking... well thanks for entertaining my obsession.

From the bolded above, their statement sounds more like a speculation. DNA results when given should be given with full certainty. When DNA companies conduct ancestry DNA tests, they take a sample of your DNA and compare it with several DNA samples in their database gotten from several tribes in Africa. At times, they don't get an exact match to a particular group and in such cases like this they quickly assume and pin you down to the partial match even though evidence may not be conclusive enough to decide. Only in some cases, however, do they get fully correlating matches. Many of these DNA companies lack comprehensive african DNA samples in their databases thereby reducing the possibility of other minor african ancestries popping up in results. When some companies don't get correlating results, they'll just make decisions based on what they've read in books on slave trade or popular notions about where most african slaves came from. Just a few companies actually took their time to go to africa to collect actual blood samples from the several regions where slaves were brought from. Stories of people are on the internet who first tested using a particular DNA company and got a result only to get a totally different result when they tested at another company. At least this fact is validated by your statement that you had to go for testing to as many as 3 companies, with each one giving differing ancestral results.

It doesn't sound like the company got a sure bet and only gave you a speculation based on guesses. Only a few DNA companies are really trust worthy. To prove or disprove your Yoruba ancestry, test yourself at another DNA company, this time a reputable one, and see if the new result tallies with the former. Only then can you be sure.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 29, 2013
^^^^Can you read? The guy said he has done 3 DNA tests!! Posted an epistle and said a lot without actually saying nothing smfdh.

@OP

Ignore people like the guy above me. They're irredeemable bigots! grin

Anyway, you can buy a book about the history of the Yoruba's on amazon. Welcome home, bruddah.

You need to adopt a Yoruba name. Perhaps, you can adopt Malcolm-X's Yoruba name(Omowale). wink
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by tpia5: 5:24pm On May 29, 2013
yoruba is a recent term, you need to check where exactly the dna is from.

my guess would be ogun or the lagos axis perhaps, since a lot of people were taken from those areas.

just saying.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by bokohalal(m): 5:26pm On May 29, 2013
KidStranglehold: Congratulations sir. I too want to take a DNA test in the future more preferring a autosomes DNA test which test both parental and maternal. I hear autosones DNA test are more detailed and accurate.

One positive thing about the Yoruba is that I believe they were responsible for the Benin kingdom...

I'm not African btw, but I do want to take a DNA test.

Responsible for the Benin Kingdom? I beseech thee,sire, what do you mean?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by bigfrancis021: 5:41pm On May 29, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^Can you read? The guy said he has done [b]3 DNA tests!! Posted an epistle and said a lot without actually saying nothing smfdh.
[/b]
@OP

Ignore people like the guy above me. They're irredeemable bigots! grin

Anyway, you can buy a book about the history of the Yoruba's on amazon. Welcome home, bruddah.

You need to adopt a Yoruba name. Perhaps, you can adopt Malcolm-X's Yoruba name(Omowale). wink

I think you're the one who actually failed to understand what the guy wrote and the corresponding statement I made. You're only interested in the fact that his result turned out yoruba, which was only a speculation from the DNA company. The guy said he did as many as 3 DNA testing and it was only the last result that came out bearing yoruba ancestry, which the company said was likely, and not conclusively. Prodding further, why didn't the earlier first two results also turn out with yoruba ancestry, at least for consistency's sake? In order for him to conclusively say if he's yoruba or not, I advised him to go for the last DNA testing to see if the result also turns up Yoruba. Only then can he be sure of it.

Below is a quote from somebody who did the test only to get a different result from what reality is.

I looked at my results yesterday but was disappointed that my pedigree ethnicity was so different than my genetic ethnicity, enough to think perhaps there is a problem with my results. For instance, my results state that my genetic ethnicity is 91% British Isles, 6% Russian/Persian/Turkish, and 3% Other. This does not match my pedigree. My pedigree on both sides of parents is predominantly French, as most of my ancestors were French colonists of Canada, Acadia, and Louisiana. Out of the nearly 3,000 people in my family tree, I have none that are from the Russian/Persian/Turkish part of the world… that was a total surprise.
http://genejourneys.com/2012/03/10/ancestry-com-autosomal-dna-test-part-ii/

Believe me, I am an avid supporter of DNA testing, but only testings done with reputable companies.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 29, 2013
bokohalal:

Responsible for the Benin Kingdom? I beseech thee,sire, what do you mean?
Opps....I confused Yoruba people with Edo people. Yoruba people were not responsible for the Benin kingdom, but I beloved they were since I thought Yoruba people were from the same area of the Benin Kingdom.

My bad...grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 29, 2013
brownredwhite: Thank you . I had the whole shabang done.. Paternal dna is Western European my fathers side is also from Guyana. . He calls his self west indian... I used genebase.com and 23andme.. genebase has my my maternal dna as mtdna D which is native American it was changed from L2b udated chips they said.. but its very informative.

You welcome and cool. smiley

I hope to get a DNA test too. Also my bad...Yoruba people were not responsible for the Benin Kingdom but Oyo empire which was very powerful. I always get Yoruba people and Edo people mixed up.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by bokohalal(m): 7:25pm On May 29, 2013
KidStranglehold:
Opps....I confused Yoruba people with Edo people. Yoruba people were not responsible for the Benin kingdom, but I beloved they were since I thought Yoruba people were from the same area of the Benin Kingdom.

My bad...grin
It is all good. Skal!
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by anonymous6(f): 8:34pm On May 29, 2013
brownredwhite: Hello everyone I am a ? I don't know wether to use the term African-American or Black American but I've had 3 dna test done and I know its excessive but I just wanted to know for sure where my ancestors came from and aside from being 13% various European admixture including eastern European jew .7% native American and the biggest was 84% Sub Saharan African and the people that did my last test said my dna most likely came from with 84% the Yoruba. I'm happy that I finally have found this out for myself and my maternal side of the family... most of us African-Americans in my mind are messed up in the head because we don't know where we come from or our history. . I'm proud to be an American I'm just glad I have another people to connect with and learn about as much as I can. Sorry for all that ...but... I wanted to ask you two things 1 is if you think I look like a person who could be a Yoruba or from what tribe? and please can someone tell me good things about the Yoruba I've read the history on line but when I read this site I hear a lot of trash talking I asked my doctor who's Nigerian and he said its like how the English men talks about the French men... just smack talking... well thanks for entertaining my obsession.

YORUBA

Ancient Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI8xPplSeQ

Ancient religion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3FLThp7sdI

Festivals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1iSSnGKFI

Wedding and engagement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9ePmMyuuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xffiEDc3s4
http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/12/20/love-today-forever-tolu-odukoya-olumide-ijogun-wed/

Oyo Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyo_Empire

Yoruba film industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfOEG5YBm4&wide=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGOGE8fpmM&wide=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmcUGIk84Is&wide=1

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by anonymous6(f): 9:02pm On May 29, 2013

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 29, 2013
gree-die:
U defo look yoruba grin grin grin

As in, I can imagine him as a conductor shouting ''sabo-yaba! Oshod-oshod!''. grin grin grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by itschac(m): 12:04am On Jul 10, 2013
I tested:
http://www.familytreedna.com/

1 - confirmed Yoruba
Your Haplogroup Tests Taken
And Z1704-U174 + U174 + P9.2-P116-P115-P113-L372-
(E1b1a7a)

2 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. by itschac(m): 12:07am On Jul 10, 2013
https://my.familytreedna.com/population-finder.aspx :

DETAILS
Continent (Subcontinent) Population Percentage Margin of Error
Africa (West African) Yoruba 77,82% ±0,28%
Middle East Jewish, Palestinian, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze 8,11% ±1,97%
Europe Finnish, Russian 14,07% ±2,06%

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Caption This (#capturelifefive13) / Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? / Ibadan Praise Poetry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.