Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? (10420 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / What Kind Of Things Do You Pray About? / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jerryjat(m): 4:00pm On May 30, 2013
Hi Guys...

Pls I just Wanna no....

" Does it really Matter how long i Spend Praying "?...

... Coz i hear some people saying dey could pray 4 about 6... 7.... hours or so in a day....

... And i'll b like... my God... dis guys r trying...

Well as 4 me i really cant pray 4 at most.... 20... 30... mins....

So pls i'll like to no how long u spend praying... and if it does mata... how long one prays....

Tanx and God bless....

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 30, 2013
Hi Jerry,

Time spent praying actually matters a great deal and I shyt you not when I say that every Christian is meant to pray without ceasing...

It's really not just about how long we spent in vocal and mental prayers...it also has to do with our thoughts, actions and the way we live our lives as Christians...

Everything we do should be offered to God as a form of prayer...the work we do, the games we play, the way we talk etc should be avenues where we offer prayers to God.

14 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 30, 2013
You devotee time and energy to what you place a premium on.Praying for 20 or 30 minutes is not bad but it means there is room for improvement.
Prayer can also be done in the bus,while eating and other seemingly unconducive climes.
The hunger of a man's soul will be filled according to Jesus' sermon on the mount.

2 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 30, 2013
D hours u spend prayin does not matter, d most important tin is d mind nd faith wit which u pray. Most ppl pray repeatin dsame word or sentence over nd over again.

6 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 30, 2013
D hours u spend prayin does not matter, d most important tin is d mind nd faith wit which u pray. Most ppl pray repeatin dsame word or sentence over nd over again thereby prolonging d prayer. Besides even if u pray 4 hours do u need to brag or tell ppl about it.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by enilove(m): 7:10pm On May 30, 2013
It is the Holy Spirit that determins the lenght of your prayer.

The prayer of a sinner who wants mercy from God can be short and acceptable by God. A sinner who prays without asking for forgiveness will be praying in vain and most times the prayers a short ones.

If the Holy Spirit dwells in you,He is the one that will dectate how long you pray.Even when you feel like stopping,if He does not stop you, the prayers will keep coming from inside of you, and you will want to continue.In fact,you will enjoy to continue.
The Holy Spirit can also allow you to just pray for two seconds with a direct prayer points , and it will be effective more than two hours of mouthed prayer of a sinner.

In summary,it is not the lenght of time that matters,but the effectiveness of the prayer.

12 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jerryjat(m): 10:29pm On May 30, 2013
striktlymi: Hi Jerry,

Time spent praying actually matters a great deal and I shyt you not when I say that every Christian is meant to pray without ceasing...

It's really not just about how long we spent in vocal and mental prayers...it also has to do with our thoughts, actions and the way we live our lives as Christians...

Everything we do should be offered to God as a form of prayer...the work we do, the games we play, the way we talk etc should be avenues where we offer prayers to God.

sire..

Why am asking dis is dat...
Am still praying 4 d grace to speak in orda tonges...

And as 4 now.. I sumtyms run out of wat to say while praying...
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 6:32am On May 31, 2013
Jerry-jat:

sire..

Why am asking dis is dat...
Am still praying 4 d grace to speak in orda tonges...

And as 4 now.. I sumtyms run out of wat to say while praying...

Morning Jerry,

I see that you are quite concerned about your vocal prayers...it is cool to ask for the gift of tongues but it really is not a necessity for Christians...

Vocal prayers need not be done for very lengthy hours...allow God's spirit to guide you whenever you pray...and it really is not just about what we say...maybe it's high time you tried your hands on meditation as a form of prayer...

Just be there with God and think about the marvels of his divine majesty...you can even go to a park to meditate on some of the mysteries surrounding God...this form of prayer is very rewarding and requires no word to be said...

Like I mentioned in my OP, we are all meant to pray without ceasing...prayers go beyond what we kneel down to say to God...there are times we sit back to listen to what God has to say to us...there is also a need to learn how to turn each event of our lives as a form of prayer to God.

3 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jerryjat(m): 9:14am On May 31, 2013
striktlymi:

Morning Jerry,

I see that you are quite concerned about your vocal prayers...it is cool to ask for the gift of tongues but it really is not a necessity for Christians...

Vocal prayers need not be done for very lengthy hours...allow God's spirit to guide you whenever you pray...and it really is not just about what we say...maybe it's high time you tried your hands on meditation as a form of prayer...

Just be there with God and think about the marvels of his divine majesty...you can even go to a park to meditate on some of the mysteries surrounding God...this form of prayer is very rewarding and requires no word to be said...

Like I mentioned in my OP, we are all meant to pray without ceasing...prayers go beyond what we kneel down to say to God...there are times we sit back to listen to what God has to say to us...there is also a need to learn how to turn each event of our lives as a form of prayer to God.

Thanks....

But wat do u tink is prayer...

In ur own Words?...
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 9:55am On May 31, 2013
Jerry-jat:

Thanks....

But wat do u tink is prayer...

In ur own Words?...

For me prayer is a way we show our dependence on God. It is more like acknowledging God and by so doing we get a much higher revelation of the God mystery and a better understand of our purpose here in this world.

I believe firmly that without praying there are a lot of things we can do because God has given us the means to do those things...he allows the rain to fall on both the good and the bad just as sacred scriptures tells us.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jerryjat(m): 11:38am On May 31, 2013
WOW...

TANKS 4 D ANS...
IT REALLY HELPED...
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by sylve11: 3:48pm On May 31, 2013
Jerry-jat:
WOW...

TANKS 4 D ANS...
IT REALLY HELPED...

Don't mention. cool
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by justwise(m): 11:35am On Jun 02, 2013
It makes no difference how long you spent praying, what matters is the heart that is praying and God.

You can spend yrs on your knees with a wicked mind praying, it will not fool God, he sees your heart.

If the length of time we spent praying matters Nigeria will be heaven on earth

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Opey4luv(m): 11:39am On Jun 02, 2013
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by naijawealth(m): 11:48am On Jun 02, 2013
MTN PULSE
TRANSFER 250 TO UR SIM DNT LOAD CARD.
ACTIVATE IT @4.00AM OR 5.00AM.
CALL CUSTOMER CARE TO DO IT 4U(call
them more than twice coz some may do
it why some may not,but make sure dey activate it for u
AFTER ACTIVATION REMOVE D SIM
IMMEDIATELLY
KEEP IT FOR 24HRS(put it back @7 or 8
am d following day).
PUT D SIM BACK ON UR PHONE. SEND 106 TO 131,RESET TO 131 THEN
*123*4*2*1....u must receive message
that U HAVE INSUFFICIENT TO PERFORM
DIS TRANSACTN.....UR SIM IS
HACKED.......BUT FOR U TO CONFRM JUST
SEND 2 TO 131....U WILL SEE MESSAGE THAT UR 2HR PLAN HAS EXPIRE.
NOTE:USE TOUCHLIGHT OR NON INTERNET
PHONE..
128KB SIM
MTN PULSE U MAY USE OTHER THINGS LIKE NEW
SIM,OR MTN ZONE BUT THATS WHAT I USED
TO HACKED 2 SIM.THANKS.................dis trick work perfectly well. inbox me for etisalat bb magic sim.it cost only 1k.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Krasid(m): 11:48am On Jun 02, 2013
Op read matt 6:7-8when you pray,do not use meaningless words,as pagans do who think that their gods will hear because their prayers are long.your father already knows what you need before you ask him.

2 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Tbosch(m): 11:49am On Jun 02, 2013
Yes it does matter,but we have to realize that prayer is not abt rattling on continously abt our selfish desire,but allowing the spirit help us pray in the Father's will.
so there are times u pray 30mins and it is enough,but at other times even after 2hrs on ur kneels,the spirit still compel u to tarry longer.
so it depend on whether u allow the spirit of God in place of prayer or u rant on endlessly abt u desires.Yes it does matter,but we have to realize that prayer is not abt rattling on continously abt our selfish desire,but allowing the spirit help us pray in the Father's will.
so there are times u pray 30mins and it is enough,but at other times even after 2hrs on ur kneels,the spirit still compel u to tarry longer.
so it depend on whether u allow the spirit of God in place of prayer or u rant on endlessly abt u desires.
Yes it does matter,but we have to realize that prayer is not abt rattling on continously abt our selfish desire,but allowing the spirit help us pray in the Father's will.
so it depend on whether u allow the spirit of God in place of prayer or u rant on endlessly abt u desires.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Tbosch(m): 11:50am On Jun 02, 2013
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 02, 2013
it doesnt matter,only hypocrites pray for long,by repeating same thing,as if GOd is deaf,and making you seated beside them look like a unserious sinner.

go straight to the point .

2 Likes

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by dhammer(m): 11:52am On Jun 02, 2013
What the heck are the moderators of Nairaland doing, the topics on the front page have gone from good to bad to ugly to ludicrous.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by olumaxi(m): 12:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
I dont think d bible tells us d num of hours we r to spend durin prayers..but wat knw is dat,it tels me to PRAY WITHOUT CEASING
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
You don't need to be on your kneels praying for long hours but as a Christian with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, If He leads you to pray for long hours you should yield to Him. Praying in tongues helps coz we'd definitely run out of words when praying for long. I personally can't pray for long as in vocal prayers but my thoughts a lot of times are directed towards God. Sometimes for a whole day or more I can be doing things with this consciousness that God is right there with me and I do talk like I can actually see Him even though I don't. Natural habitat and beautiful landscape helps me connect with God mentally and emotionally. I just love to marvel at His personality. I don't know how to explain these things. I believe this is what He meant when He saids we should continually pray. Ofcourse you can't go about every of life's business talking out loud in prayer but you can in your mind. I want to add that there are times when I don't 'feel' God near. I feel so distant from Him and wouldn't even want to talk to Him. smiley
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by DJDOLA(m): 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2013
Yes like me now I am a prayer warrior I can prayer for now till next year...if u need a prayer or u want 2 join me in praying call pastor djdola on 07081919193.. D lord is good
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Orikinla(m): 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2013
It is not how long you pray that will matter to God, but how honest you are. 1 minute of an honest confession or devotion to God means more to Him than 10 hours of lip service.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by jmoore(m): 12:22pm On Jun 02, 2013
I don't tell long stories, I go straight to the point.
My prayers are short.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2013
Jerry-jat:
Hi Guys...

Pls I just Wanna no....

" Does it really Matter how long i Spend Praying "?...

... Coz i hear some people saying dey could pray 4 about 6... 7.... hours or so in a day....

... And i'll b like... my God... dis guys r trying...

Well as 4 me i really cant pray 4 at most.... 20... 30... mins....

So pls i'll like to no how long u spend praying... and if it does mata... how long one prays....

Tanx and God bless....
u are not to sin by d repetition of prayers.
If d reason from praying too long is because u are hammering on jes a matter, or because u bilvd maybe God is not listening, u are in doubt, which according to te bible, is a sin.

But wen u pray, and as led by d spirit, u jes dnt seems to want to stop - i mean, wen pray, and u are so filled that d inspiration is jes so overwhelming that u jes kept going, well, thank God for that!

Ur prayer session doesn't matter,
1. ur request jes av to be from d depth of ur heart,

2. U shld not ask wrongly. The bible says 'they asked, and did not receive because they asked wrongly'

3. Concentration. The little time u are using shld not be with a wandering mind.

4. The bible says, 'we do not knw how to pray, but d holy spirit teaches us, and intercedes btw us and our father'.

So, it doesn't matter how long, it is how right!

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
No,Just say what you have to say in clear terms.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
my brothers and sisters,prayer are meant to cover all things,praying for only yourself and your day in the morning Will make ur prayer so short and compromised,prayers are meant to cover praise,worship,appreciation,mercy,about your need,interceding for others,praying for the lost, then welfare ..if you keep all this in mind there is no way ur spirit will judge u why u prayed too short.....but i believe praying long is a gift..but can have through practising..as for me whenever i close my eyes to pray i dont know how it happens but 1 hour is too short for me to pour out my mind to God

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by nenergy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
Personally i don't think i've gone past 40minutes, and i'm not usually conscious of time spent. I just pray till i've poured out my heart-praise,pleasantries and petition. But some people be OVER-doing the "tongues" for hours. Yes, the spirit helps us to pray, but some folks are performers.lol
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Kingclickmedia: 1:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
It doesn't matter cos when the prophets of Baal was praying to Baal all long but no responds but immediately Elijah called the name of the God fire came down from heaven. Anyway this is what i can say 4 now. It just a matter of faith. "without faith its impossible to please Him"(Heb. 11vs6)

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
Kingclickmedia: It doesn't matter cos when the prophets of Baal was praying to Baal all long but no responds but immediately Elijah called the name of the God fire came down from heaven. Anyway this is what i can say 4 now. It just a matter of faith. "without faith its impossible to please Him"(Heb. 11vs6)

end of discussion
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Dsage1: 1:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
It's obvious that some people who called themselves christians don't really read their bible.

Meanwhile, Matt 6:6-12, has stated it clear.

@op, it doesn't matter. His mercy is upon every crature irrespective of whether you pray or not.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution / Intelligent Design Or No Intelligent Design? Can We Analyze This? / Does It Mean That All My Prayers Are Not Being Answered?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.