Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) (1051 Views)

A Chinese Emperor's Poem About Prophet Muhammad (SAW) / 12 Foods That Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (saw) Liked & Th / Some Of The Miracles Of The Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by donguutti: 7:56am On May 31, 2013
How many Christian or Muslim leaders know, for instance, that in recognition of Jesus Christ as his predecessor and fellow Apostle, Prophet Muhammad (SAW) signed a charter with some Christian leaders in the year 628 CE and the charter remains valid till today? In that year (628 CE), a Christian delegation from St. Catherine’s Monastery went to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to seek the protection of the Islamic government under his command.

The objective was to elicit the support of the Islamic government in ensuring their security against the aggression of the Persian Empire. (St. Catherine’s Monastery is the world’s oldest Monastery located at the foot of Mt. Sinai which has a huge collection of Christian manuscripts second only to those of the Vatican and is known as a world heritage site).

Prior to that event, many verses of the Qur’an had been revealed to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) acknowledging the divine mission of all the Prophets preceding him (Muhammad (SAW) including that of Jesus Christ. And because of those revelations, no Muslim can claim to be a true believer in Islam without accepting Jesus the son of Mary as a Prophet of God. One of those revelations states as follows:

“The Apostle of Allah (Muhammad SAW) believes in what was revealed to him and so do the entire Muslim faithful. Every one of them believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books and His Apostles. We do not discriminate against any of His Apostles. They say “we hear and obey (the laws brought by those Apostles). Grant us your forgiveness Oh Lord! To you we shall all return….” (Q. 2: 285).

The Charter

In response to the request of the Christian representatives cited above, Prophet Muhammad (SAW) granted them a written charter of rights as follows: “This is a message from Muhammad the son of Abdullah serving as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far that we (Muslims) are with them.

Verily, I and all the servants of God, as well as the helpers of Islam hereby make promise to defend Christians because they are my citizens and by God! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them (concerning their way of worship). Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one should destroy a house of their religion or damage it or loot it.

Whoever violates this has breached God’s charter and disobeyed His Apostle. Verily, Christians are my allies and have my secure charter against all they hate. No one should force them to fight for a course in which they have no belief or compel them to migrate against their wish. Neither is the sacredness of their covenant to be violated nor their Churches to be disrespected. And if any damage should happen to their Churches, they must not be prevented from repairing them. No Muslim should disobey this covenant till the Last Day (end of the world)”.

For details, see www.aljazeera.com and check Aljazeera Magazine under Middle East Online. By this charter, Prophet Muhammad (SAW) asserted that Muslims and Christians were brethren in faith and no one of them should fight against the other on the basis of religion.

Culled from the Nation Newspaper
Re: Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by deols(f): 8:04am On May 31, 2013
The prophet(s.a.w) as the true example for all believers.

This shows that indiscriminate killing of people of other religions can never be justified. The prophet made pacts with the jews, sent letters to the Persians, gave asylum to many.

May Allah bless him and grant him peace.
Re: Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by Rilikoko(m): 8:17am On May 31, 2013
Yet another evidence of d greatness of d holy prophet(SAW).....where did we get it wrong in dis country my people??
Re: Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by donPhill(m): 8:29am On May 31, 2013
u see.....and boko boys are bombing church in the name of islam....na so dem write for quran?
Re: Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by Kingharzyz(m): 8:55am On May 31, 2013
front page pls...we Have had enough of tonto dike pictures....abah....
Re: Islam’s Charter With Christianity -prophet Muhammad (SAW) by AbdH: 2:07pm On Jun 03, 2013
Mohammad(SAW) is the best man to be emulated. May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be with him.
I must say also that those Christians described above believed in the messengership/prophethood of Mohammad(SAW) while today's Christians do not. There is an obvious difference in faith between people of the same faith who existed at different centuries. May Allah open the heart of those Christians who live among us today so that they can embrace Islam and stop blaspheming Allah - their creator - so that peace will reign for all to savour.

(1) (Reply)

A Christian Man Sees Prophet Muhammed In His Dream And Accept Islam (vid) / Pharaohess Died! Should I Not Throw A Party? / Coping With Islam And Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.