Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

What Nollywood Films Are Known For? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (7854 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by peeboy(m): 4:33pm On May 07, 2008
1. Prolonging a short story into many parts.
2. poor sound.
3. lack of originality.
4. copying foreign films.
5. poor attention to details.
6. boring theme songs
7. poor acting.
8. rituals infested.
9. promotes indiscipline in kids (aki and pawpaw).
10.lengthy scenes angry
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by BUNMIAYO: 4:49pm On May 07, 2008
i believe it is high time we should encourage our nigerian movie makers.some of them have improved seriousely.so encouraging them is the best thing to do.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by iice(f): 5:22pm On May 07, 2008
Improved in what? The beyonce/rihanna movie? Make i no even crack rib
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Abdogood(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2008
I respect nollywood becos dey sabi copy/remix another person movie well grin grin grin
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by lucabrasi(m): 3:43am On May 09, 2008
the thing i dont get is that nigeria as a whole have soo many original stories that they only need to make a script out of,no copyright or anything and it ll come out great yet they insist on the copy and paste,also in a nigerian movie why are all the girls called cynthia,sandy,annie and all the guys are terry williams and all the rich ppl are either somethn williams or da silva grin

peeboy lmao @promoting indiscipline
dude,abeg leave aki and pawpaw grin grin
seriously though i think these boys should be encouraged for being an inspiration,especially with the kind of stigma and discrimination (whats the pc word?)little people/dwarfs face on a daily basis,they r giving them hope, i hope they help out the less fortunate dwarfs sort of a charity
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by wendymanda: 6:50am On May 09, 2008
Funnily the movies suck but the music videos and music is not that bad. I like Susana, Knpw me when am poor, agreement by Nkem Owoh and he made another song where he doesn't sing but acts it out. It was funny as heck.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by obailala(m): 11:28am On May 10, 2008
Most Nigerian movies are tragedies, people are always dying (even when their death has no relevance to the story). Are these movies meant to be entertaining or what?, are we trying to tell the world that in nigeria, we derive pleasure in seeing people die? it is only in nigeria movies that every important character in the cast dies and the producers happily release such a movie into the market.

i wouldnt blame the producers for the poor production, its because of the terrible situation of piracy in the country and they have to save their money else, they wouldnt break even,, but i blame them for accepting poor stories. i wonder if i'm the only one that hates these stories. people always die, people are always crying. all important characters in a movies die and the film ends, isnt that disgusting. this is common wit most movies. (especially the ones shown on african magic)

Movies are meant to be for entertainment and educational purposes,, but nollywood stories tend to concentrate on education,, they always remind us of the harsh realities of the nigerian society,, I hate nollywood movies simply because, "they are all real life tragedies"
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Seun(m): 6:55pm On May 10, 2008
I think it's the best ones that are tragedies - because they're trying to serve as morality tales.
Unfortunately, the typee of morality they promote is too primitive to be useful to educated people.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Obirin0521: 4:28am On May 12, 2008
@ Seun
, the typee of morality they promote is too primitive to be useful to educated people.
I beg your pardon!  By 'Educated', I take it you mean those who have the ability to reach beyond the regurgitated 'sophia' of their 'teachers' and not just individuals who have a piece of paper that serves as an attestation to the fact that they endured uncomfortable college seats for x number of years. 

If the former definition holds true may I categorically then state that the morality of the 'primitive' minds remains the keystone of international corporate ethics or simply put, 'Primitive' morality ain't so irrelevant to 'civilized' times.  Disagree?  Please shoot me your phone # and I will be happy to discuss at lenght.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Seun(m): 8:50am On May 12, 2008
Example: a movie that teaches a woman to "obey her husband" even when he beats her everyday.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by jennyjatt: 12:57pm On May 12, 2008
our Nollywood
who art in nigeria
plagiarist be thy name
thy kingdom come filled with parts
thy will has been achieved (aggravating sickness,causing psycological problem due to thy so called horror movies,imputin depression to thy audience)
as it is in thy home
give us this day a well directed movie (we wouldn't mind one directed by Lancelot Oduwa Imaesuen)
and forgive us pirates and paparazzi our trespasses
as we forgive thee who trespass against us
and lead us not into ill health and mind (due to thy uneducated movies)
but deliver us from thy foolish names of movies and annoying soundtrack. NAIRALANDERS IF U'RE FEELING ME SAY AMEN TO THAT!!!

WAT IS IT!
im pissed out
to think that nollywood are bent on causing irritation to their viewers.
WAT IS IT!
the annoying part is dat, they have wat it takes to make a good film
but no!
they are out to make money
they prefere quantity not quality
imagine they even make me spell prefer as prefere
pissed out men!

seun! seun!! seuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuen!!!
drop matter ohhhh!
there is notin positive!
xcept dat geneviv is sliming down to fashion.

@ sisikill, hilli, deeo2, kobojunkie
i dey feel una ohh!

anyway sha lancelot oduwa and emma esong(hope i spelt that well), are trying a little with their directing.
nairalanders be patient, i will soon get to the top and make/direct good movies 4 y'all.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by eezzy(f): 9:08am On May 14, 2008
The nollywood movies may not be up to international standards
but they ARE up to African standards and they are not as bad as
you people are trying to make them out to be, otherwise the industry
would have collapsed a long time ago due to lack of customage.

I actually would watch a movie like 'Girls Cot' several times, it is a
nollywood movie and the plot is perfect and well acted - abiiii give the
devil some due now!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by guy4real: 2:55pm On May 14, 2008
let us apprciate what we have, at least for once, i think they are trying.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 9:28pm On May 14, 2008
guy4real:

let us apprciate what we have, at least for once, i think they are trying.

Can we just stop saying this rubbish "THEY ARE TRYING"

This is starting to become a peculiar way of Nigerians saying that something is doing well but then to point out the accomplishments made as a result of the "THEY ARE TRYING" slang, they lapse into a load of incoherence!

What has nollywood achieved that is tangible or what are dey known for that has made them move a decent level in comparison to other movie industries around the world?

Nothing like "they are trying", that is unacceptable i am sorry!

They get better or they pack it in!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by eezzy(f): 7:28am On May 15, 2008
dee02:

Can we just stop saying this rubbish "THEY ARE TRYING" [/

Dee02 you sound like a bitter person. THEY ARE TRYING - bottom line.
At least they are doing something which some of us recognise and appreciate.
It may not be the best, but it is SOMETHING! Can you at leat appreciate that or
show us what you have done better than they!!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 9:58am On May 15, 2008
eezzy:

Dee02 you sound like a bitter person. THEY ARE TRYING - bottom line.
At least they are doing something which some of us recognise and appreciate.
It may not be the best, but it is SOMETHING! Can you at leat appreciate that or
show us what you have done better than they!!

I am not bitter, it is my opinion
If i am not good at something i wont bother wasting my time on it!
POINT BLANK
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by volina(f): 11:24am On May 16, 2008
This thread made me crack my ribs. Well nollywood is the 3rd largest producer of movies in times of size. The movies r intrestin despite hurriedly done. Most of what reach in Kenya is pirated and of poor quality am not sure of the CDs sold in nigeria. But the greatest thing is Naija is sittin on a big potential. I ope it will realize that b4 other African countries invest in this industry!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by lafile(m): 4:51pm On May 16, 2008
I stumbled on one nollywood drama one day. It featured Kanayo O. Kanayo and Clem Ohaneze playing youth corpers YOUTH corpers!!!and i thot those guys were in their 60's shakes head
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by tboy1(m): 4:54pm On May 16, 2008
lafile:

I stumbled on one nollywood drama one day. It featured Kanayo O. Kanayo and Clem Ohaneze playing youth corpers YOUTH corpers!!!and i thot those guys were in their 60's shakes head

hahahahahahaha you haven't seen the one they played secondary school students grin grin grin with the face cap and all cheesy cheesy
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Meedu(m): 6:06pm On May 16, 2008
@ seun
you sef how can you forget. Naija films are known for JUJU
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by swiftycool(m): 12:59am On May 19, 2008
Most Nollywood movies are for a suitable word, "intelligence retardants"
They have made many of our people, especially the girls, dumber than they originally were
Can you immagine some chicks inquiring about something called a life time relocation visa, a concept she got from some dumb naija film!

I must admit though that more yoruba home videos have better thought out plots and make more sense than english ones
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by RampantT(f): 2:50am On May 19, 2008
Yoruba movies are the bomb. . .esp, the village ones kiss kiss
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Emad(f): 3:46pm On May 20, 2008
their tittles make me laugh and the shouting gives me a headache, and teh bad make up makes me sick grin

beyonce Vs Rihanna , serious Issue, the boy is mine, the girl is yours, the child is ours,
Calculator , spanner, Mugu, Idiot , grin grin grin grin

Amechi Munagor resorts to shouting "shut up " each time he forgets his Lines,

a pretty Actress wears a terrible Hair do and awful make up that makes me wonder whether she looked in the mirror before the director said "action"

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 6:39pm On May 20, 2008
Emad:

their tittles make me laugh and the shouting gives me a headache, and the bad make up makes me sick grin

beyonce Vs Rihanna , serious Issue, the boy is mine, the girl is yours, the child is ours,
Calculator , spanner, Mugu, Idiot , grin grin grin grin

Amechi Munagor resorts to shouting "shut up " each time he forgets his Lines,

a pretty Actress wears a terrible Hair do and awful make up that makes me wonder whether she looked in the mirror before the director said "action"

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Very soon u wld see a movie titled OBASANJO Vs EFCC Or YAR'ADUA IS SICK!!

What is Nollywood not capable of?!

JOKE!!!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by jennyjatt: 11:28am On May 22, 2008
dee02 i de feel u ohhhhhhhhhhhhh  wink
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by jennyjatt: 11:33am On May 22, 2008
EMAD keep up the good work
we need to invite nollywood directors to this forum oh!
cos their fuckupsesness needs to be treated
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by TheSly: 11:38am On May 22, 2008
jennyjatt:

EMAD keep up the good work
we need to invite nollywood directors to this forum oh!
because their fuckupsesness needs to be treated
fuckupsesness?? Is that a new vocab? grin
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by muyiserra1(m): 6:59pm On May 22, 2008
Hmm actually I dont see Nigerian movies but I belive some are quite good, thats wen you talk about the directing, shooting, editing n all that, as for now the industry is growing.

The basic thing that kills the industry is that, anybody can come up with a storyline whether it makes sense or not, they will go into shooting the movie, I almost shed tear oneday when I saw a Nigerian movie directed and written by Paul Obazele, and the worst part was that the movie even got a part two, the part one was so meaningless.

If I were to be the president of the movie industry, not any kind of movie can be produce n sell to the public.
Well we are still growing shey
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Emad(f): 9:58am On May 23, 2008
grin grin

Naija people
don't you guys think that the words " improving and growing " are a little over used with respect to this industry? grin

Infact since 1990 i have been hearing those words mentioned,
20 years later i think we need to change either the meaning of those words or the context in which they are used.

when you look at some of the productions of yesteryear's ( things fall apart, Living in Bondage, When the Sun sets )
they are even better produced than the rubbish we see galloping out of the studios these days
( and here i am talking strictly in terms of production and editing , keeping aside the nonsensical titles that make a complete mockery of the profession )

The Music industry has stepped up it's game, the film industry needs to follow suit
and we are not helping them by singing the chorus with them that they are improving when we can see all too clearly
that they are making one step ahead and two steps backward for every venture they engage.

In fact if you ask my opinion Producers who makes such films as Beyonce Vs Rhianna should be called out and
Publicly Executed, in order to discourage anyone from doing the same.
those men should stop taking the viewers leniency for granted angry angry
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 10:21am On May 23, 2008
RUMOUR HAS IT THAT A NEW NOLLYWOOD MOVIE IS COMING OUT: SEE DETAILS BELOW

New Nollywood movie Title: Yar'Adua is Sick

Starring:M Aonndaoka, Yar Adua, OBJ, Doctors from Germany, T Yar'Adua, MIKE OKIRO, INI EDO, AKI, PAWPAW and Nkem Owoh

Director: Some idiot incompetent thug

Producer and Marketer: IYKE ELECTRONICS, ALABA MARKET

Reviews

Excruciatingly painful to watch,stupid soundtrack, very poor sound quality stupid directing, lack of direction,camera-phone recording, more like a puppet show but inconclusive like a typical nollywood movie, incompetent casts, full of lofty promises, a lot of skin grafts, poor english, lack of common sense, incoherent storyline and too much hospital visits

Conclusively, it is absolute nonsense, another classic pile of trollop from the stables of NOLLYJARGON!

Nollywood addicts, grab a copy now

Happy/sad viewing
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by jennyjatt: 8:24am On May 27, 2008
@ sly
wat do u expect,
their fuckup pass one i.e fuckups and when their fuckups too much
wat is the plural of fuckups?
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sery: 4:53pm On May 28, 2008
I used to think the storylines were too simplistic - but, I've actually seen some of the most ridiculous things happen in real life. Anyway this is what we have for now, and it can only get better !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Legend Of The Seeker Season 3 / The BENJAMINS...thriller (NB: +18 above acclaimed soft P*O*R*N !! / A Place In The Stars - Trailer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.