Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,227 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:55 PM

Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today (10852 Views)

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Acting Igp Re-empasizes Ban On Roadblocks. / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 03, 2013
The implementation of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) new transport policy will take effect today with the introduction of high capacity bus operation in Abuja city centre to replace mini buses, which are now restricted to the satellite towns and area councils in the territory.

The FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, who announced these measures yesterday in Abuja, called for cooperation of all residents to enable the policy work, stressing that it would enable government to subsidise mass transit in FCT.

Mohammed said the high capacity buses would not only move people in large numbers, but would reduce time spent in traffic and improve the economy of the FCT, adding that it was in the overall interest of all residents and visitors coming into the FCT for the policy to succeed.
He added that with the take-off of the new policy, tricycle transit operations (Keke NAPEP) would be at only designated housing estates and satellite towns.

He said: "As the new policy comes into operation, the high capacity buses will replace the services of the minibuses in such routes as Nyanya through AYA to Eagle Square/Wuse Market; Giri Junction through Airport Road to City Centre; Zuba Junction through ONEX (Outer Northern Expressway) to City Centre and Ring Road One circulation connecting Wuse Market and Eagle Square.

"Other popular routes that will also bid farewell to minibuses are Gudu Market Junction through Ahmadu Bello Way to Gwarimpa; Shehu Shagari Way through Federal Secretariat to Ring Road 1 Junction; Area 1/Area 3 through Moshood Abiola way/Tafawa Balewa Way, Herbert Macaulay – Utako Jabi and finally, Jabi through Ring Road 2, Galadimawa junction to Apo Mechanic.
"At each of these routes, the FCT Administration has provided service terminals at the beginning, end and intermediate locations for high capacity buses and taxis."

The minister also outlined benefits of the new policy to include: cheaper fares; enhanced passenger comfort and security; reliability of vehicle; and reduction of the effect of environmental pollution via emission poisonous fumes from vehicles.
He said the policy would lead to the identification of transport operators and companies through biometrics data capturing; promotion of healthy competition among operators; reduction of traffic congestion, road traffic accidents and transport related crimes and criminalities.

Others are achievement of cost effectiveness through greater efficiency and better service delivery; building of new driving culture and attitudinal change; creation of wealth and employment opportunities for professional drivers and ensuring smoother movement of goods and services.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/abuja-minibus-ban-takes-effect-today/149249/
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by DJDOLA(m): 9:12am On Jun 03, 2013
god bless nigeria....thank God am not one of does guys that like 2 write first 2 comment

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by naptu2: 9:14am On Jun 03, 2013
Good move. They should also expedite action on the Abuja light rail project.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by ozor1: 9:14am On Jun 03, 2013
Am tired of seeing those rickety buses on the streets of abuja

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by WukedP(m): 9:15am On Jun 03, 2013
Ok Gud.. Hope u guys will maintain it anyway?

1 Like

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Donchyke39(m): 9:17am On Jun 03, 2013
Na wa oh!
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Opey4luv(m): 9:18am On Jun 03, 2013
Banning okada, mini busses and every other poor man's transport system and no providing of subtitues

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by gerald09(m): 9:23am On Jun 03, 2013
Now d mini buses have bin banned what happens to taxis will dey still be allowed @ d city centre?
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by talktrue1(m): 9:25am On Jun 03, 2013
Stopping these buses will increase frustration and suffering on low class people
People that will find it difficult includes:
people that used to go to work as early as 5.00am or close work by 10pm
If your office not along the major routes
People who are in a hurry to meet up an appointment
Traders at Wuse mkt, etc

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by gidjah(m): 9:29am On Jun 03, 2013
I HAVE BIN HELD UP IN DS MESS CALLED BRT BRT SYSTEM ALONG NYANYA FCT FOR OVA 3HRS,no serious movt,masses are stranded at various bus stops.Govt no try at all,poor preparatn frm poor foundatn.
God help me
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by baggylips(m): 9:32am On Jun 03, 2013
No provision for kubwa
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Nellyd(f): 9:39am On Jun 03, 2013
Its a pity what people r going thru because of govt. Is poverty not enof already? Why start something u are not prepared for. Now Your Suffering Continues(NYSC). God is watching ooo.
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by dewale2k: 9:40am On Jun 03, 2013
naptu2: Good move. They should also expedite action on the Abuja light rail project.
was good abt the ban?
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by uboma(m): 9:48am On Jun 03, 2013
I foresee untold hardship resulting from the ban of mini busses in Abuja. Look at Lagos for instance, BRT busses are allowed to ply the road along with mini busses. So why ban these mini busses that usually do not take a long time to get filled with passengers? Our Govt lacks focus, always in a hurry to implement policies without considering the pros and cons to the ordinary man on the street. Btw, what happens to the owners of these mini busses? They will be out of jobs... So pathetic!

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by profola2be(m): 9:59am On Jun 03, 2013
naptu2: Good move. They should also expedite action on the Abuja light rail project.
Good abi?
But if na Lagos introduce that kind policy,the Governor would have been called names oo!

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by DonTim1: 10:01am On Jun 03, 2013
do dis guys smoke weed before making decisions well cab all d way for me still, wu has time for brt. yeye
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 03, 2013
I pity the mini bus drivers and their families
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by venatus25(m): 10:16am On Jun 03, 2013
this is another wahala, de government should should stop checking puntuality of his work force in their various agencies.
Patronising public transport is the starting point of lateness.

Am disappointed in nigeria government, since they do not consider the negative out-come of their greedy policy before the implimentation cry
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 03, 2013
this is more like a crime against humanity, imagine both old n young pple waitin endlessly for a bus for hours, and when it comes,everybdy is just strugglin,serzly wt.f! is wrong with dz govt?? thier is poverty everywea n all they cud come up with is dz bulshit?? God will surely reward each n everyone of u pigs!
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by olumaxi(m): 10:20am On Jun 03, 2013
Obasanjo once said that abuja isnt meant for the masses..i think the statements is true with this new development..obasanjo with the aid of 1 mallam started the destruction of houses then,now,it is the turn of ebele and another mallam to restrict the movement of these poor masses by this policy..al thesame,GOD bles nigeria,GOD bles the masses
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by makaveli1(m): 10:30am On Jun 03, 2013
All i can say is that some people's means of livelihood has been snatched from them with the introduction of this new policy. Either way its a welcome development but the question is how will the thousands of people that have been dispossessed of their means of income make ends meet?. well some will ultimately live abuja because starting all over again in abuja is not a walk in the park...
This again points to the widely held belief that Abuja isn't meant for the poor... well, God will surely make a way.
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by naptu2: 10:32am On Jun 03, 2013
profola2be:
Good abi?
But if na Lagos introduce that kind policy,the Governor would have been called names oo!

Have you EVER seen me call the Lagos State Governor names? Actually, I think the Lagos State Governor has revolutionised transport in the state and I want the same for Abuja. The main reason Abuja lost the hosting rights to the 2014 Commonwealth Games was because of poor transport infrastructure (especially lack of a railway system). I want that to change.

In Lagos they've introduced or are introducing BRT, LRT, LCCT, Eko Water Buses, etc. I want the same for Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by RickyRoss1(m): 10:34am On Jun 03, 2013
I have never used buses on any Africa city for more than 7 years now so I cant tell if this is a good or bad move.
One thing I want to know when are they gonna complete the Abuja Light Rail Project?
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by naptu2: 10:36am On Jun 03, 2013
Ricky_Ross: I have never used buses on any Africa city for more than 7 years now so I cant tell if this is a good or bad move.
One thing I want to know when are they gonna complete the Abuja Light Rail Project?

Very good point and that should be the focus; completing the rail project.
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by uboma(m): 10:51am On Jun 03, 2013
Ricky_Ross: I have never used buses on any Africa city for more than 7 years now so I cant tell if this is a good or bad move.

Who cares if you haven't boarded a bus for more than 7 years? Learn to sympathize with the ordinary man on the street who relies on these busses for mobility. Am sure u turned a blind eye to the comments of people on this thread who are already suffering from this anti masses policy of the govt. You are no more different from the govt because they too like you do not board busses like the ordinary man on the street do.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by shangpearlz(f): 10:51am On Jun 03, 2013
D traffic dis mornin is crazie walai! Am still chillin @karu 4 it 2 reduce. Dama I nor d use anyoda vehicle cept el rufai. Make sence jor
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 03, 2013
Whatever! Abuja is not for the poor people! Go get your own car my brother
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by bknight: 11:17am On Jun 03, 2013
*whispering* Shhhh..Somebody won d contract to supply the 'new' high capacity buses wink
Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by rhymesteey(f): 11:38am On Jun 03, 2013
Selfishness what happened to da less priviledge, now there will high rate of crime. Banning to mini buses without making provision for those who earn their daily bread frm it. Its SMH

1 Like

Re: Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today by justsayemma(m): 11:44am On Jun 03, 2013
If Fash had done dis,they wuld ve called 4 his head

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

General Motors Takes A Swipe At Tesla In New Cadillac's Super Cruise Commercial / Mercedes Reportedly Sold Over A Million Vehicles By Cheating Emission Tests / Police Harassing For Driver's License Serial-Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.