Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,241 members, 7,839,266 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time (2568 Views)

Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Who Are The Top 8 Highest Paid African Soccer Players Of 2011? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 6:14pm On May 22, 2008
Ok so they won a series.but did Shaq get a ring?Olajuwon won just one ring in Jordan's presence how about the remaining Six.1991,1992,1993,1996,1997 and 1998 now if thats not dominance then i dont know what dominance means.M.J is simply the greatest we can argue this for the next 100 years
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by SeanT21(f): 9:49pm On May 22, 2008
A-40:

Ok so they won a series.but did Shaq get a ring?Olajuwon won just one ring in Jordan's presence how about the remaining Six.1991,1992,1993,1996,1997 and 1998 now if thats not dominance then i don't know what dominance means.M.J is simply the greatest we can argue this for the next 100 years

MJ can not be compared to MAGIC JOHNSON.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 7:53am On May 23, 2008
@millico88
You definitely don't know what you're talking about, Jordan came back from retirement (he was playing pro baseball) in midseason that's why they lost to the Shaq led orlando magic. Also, there is no way that Hakeem would have ever won the NBA championship had MJ not retired, and contrary to what you said Hakeem never beat him in the Finals. This gives me more proof that you know nothing about basketball.

@seanT21
You said that MJ cannot be compared to Magic right? but guess what, even Magic refuted your statement himself, he once said "there is michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us". Need i say more, i don't think so.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 6:11pm On May 23, 2008
davidif:

millico and idoltroll;
Honestly when did you guys start watching basketball because i am really curious, and Millico88 i am interested how you went to the Boston garden to watch Bill Russell play during the Jim Crow era, please stop trying to fool us. Winning 6 championships in 8 years (it could have been 8 of 8 had he not retired abruptly) is more impressive than just looking at stats of the old era and saying woah, Russell won 11 championships!!! of course if i played soccer against primary school students, i would be the next Ronaldo. A better analogy would be comparing Cassius Clay to Rocky Marciano. Rocky had the better record (undefeated) because he fought vastly inferior oponents and an aging Joe Lewis, Clay on the other hand fought some of the greatest heavyweights to have ever entered the Ring and lost a few but he is regarded as the greatest of all time. Yes Bill played some worthy adversaries at the time but they were just a few (West, Baylor, Oscar and Wilt) compared to MJ who was playing against many many many more talented players that i can't even begin to rattle off my head.
Finally to settle the debate, the NBA came out with the list of the greatest players to ever play the game sometime around 1998 and Michael Jordan was on top of the list. nuff said.

I saw Russell play in his last season and talked about him with my dad for many years after that.  Remember Russell was a TV analyst for a number of years and the stories would always start about what Russell meant.  Kareem was just starting and Wilt was still around, so the stat comparisons were going on. 

I've told this story before to friends, but I'll repeat it for you. My dad was a big Wilt fan (not a Laker fan per se) because of some story in Life magazine.  After the Celts won in 1969, I asked him how could the Lakers have lost if they had Wilt and West and Baylor while the Celtics were old.  He just looked at me and said, "Because Bill Russell doesn't lose."  I've never forgotten that because it came from a guy who'd been rooting against Russell for years.

Talk to anyone who watched basketball in the 60s and they'd tell you the same thing.  There was "something" about Russell in that he could will his team to a victory, but it wasn't by taking over the game offensively the way you saw with Jordan.  It was by elevating the level of his TEAM's play.  It's like his teammates wanted his respect so much they didn't want to let him down.  Not out of fear, but because if Bill Russell thought you were a player, it mattered to you deep in your soul.  It's like when you finally get the respect and pride from your father.  There's no feeling quite like that.  Russell was able to have that kind of relationship with his teammates.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 6:30pm On May 23, 2008
wow, millco88 that's a very inspirational story. Great one right there you sound like Frank DeFord.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 6:43pm On May 23, 2008
davidif:

@millico88
You definitely don't know what you're talking about, Jordan came back from retirement (he was playing pro baseball) in midseason that's why they lost to the Shaq led orlando magic. Also, there is no way that Hakeem would have ever won the NBA championship had MJ not retire, and contrary to what you said Hakeem never beat him in the Finals. This gives me more proof that you know nothing about basketball.

@seanT21
You said that MJ cannot be compared to Magic right? but guess what, even Magic refuted your statement himself, he once said "there is michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us". Need i say more, i don't think so.

In 1995 an albiet rusty MJ lost to Shaq's Orlando Magic. Shaq was immature and had not entered his prime at that point. The Magic were then swept in the Finals where Dream throughly dominated Shaq. The next year, Shaq went to the western conference and MJ never had to face him in the playoffs again.

If the Bulls had any weaknesses, it was at the center position but fortunately they never had to face a center better than Ewing. All the dominant centers were in the Western Conference such as The Admiral, Shaq and Dream. Other than an aging Ewing, who was there in the East? Rick Smits? Yet when the Admiral, Shaq and Dream all made it to the Finals, it was years the Bulls weren't there. Instead MJ faced, Vlade, Kevin Duckworth, Sam Perkins, Mark West and Ostertag twice.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 7:39pm On May 23, 2008
@millco88
Opinionated indeed.Why did his stretch not continue after Jordan's return?Jordan is the Greatest dont you peeps get it?
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 7:43pm On May 23, 2008
This guy did a three-peat twice in modern times.What else do you guys want him to do? Walk on Water?Their not having a good center and still winning six rings only shows how good he was what if he had a good center? maybe he would still be winning rings now
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by jameswills32: 4:10am On Oct 05, 2014
What about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? Surely he deserves a mention in the list of top 10 NBA players of all time? Some people say he is the greatest basketball player ever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Paul Pogba With His Stunning Girlfriend Maria Salaues (photos) / Cheap Nike Free Running Shoes / Get A Customized Jersey Of Your Club Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.