Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time (2565 Views)

Nigeria’s Top Five Rated Players Of All Time / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Who Are The Top 8 Highest Paid African Soccer Players Of 2011? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 11:41pm On May 01, 2008
1. Bill Russell
2. Michael Jordan
3. Magic Johnson
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Larry Bird
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Tim Duncan
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. Jerry West

in that order
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by SeanT21(f): 9:48pm On May 06, 2008
i don't see Lebron, nor Kobe, nor Carmelo, Nor Kevin, but guest who i see?? I see Shaq. this fool is wack as hell. please tell me you are joking.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 4:23pm On May 07, 2008
SeanT21:

i don't see Lebron, nor Kobe, nor Carmelo, Nor Kevin, but guest who i see?? I see Shaq. this fool is wack as hell. please tell me you are joking.

All of the guys I list there won multiple championships as lead dog. Both LeBron and Kobe have NEVER won championship as the leader.

Bill Russell won championships 11 straight times as lead dog. Even he college, he led his team to the championship twice. He has also done a lot more things that neither Kobe or LeBron can even touch. The Melbourne Olympics, his season as both a player/coach, his defense, etc,
We all know what Jordan did.
Magic johnson was a 3 time MVP and won 5 championships, can play all 5 positions, and won the Finals MVP as a ROOKIE. LeBron and Kobe do not have the resume that these players have, INCLUDING Shaq

Shaq won MVP, was a runner up for DPOY, won 3 Finals MVP and won 4 championships. He had the most dominant prime in this generation.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by vislabraye(m): 4:44pm On May 07, 2008
Your list is cool any way. In terms of talents, yeah, but what about Kareem Abdul Jabal?. Yougster should also be included; Like Lebron James, Thank God u didnt include Barkley, and the likes,
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by SeanT21(f): 9:42pm On May 08, 2008
idoltroll:

All of the guys I list there won multiple championships as lead dog. Both LeBron and Kobe have NEVER won championship as the leader.

Bill Russell won championships 11 straight times as lead dog. Even he college, he led his team to the championship twice. He has also done a lot more things that neither Kobe or LeBron can even touch. The Melbourne Olympics, his season as both a player/coach, his defense, etc,
We all know what Jordan did.
Magic johnson was a 3 time MVP and won 5 championships, can play all 5 positions, and won the Finals MVP as a ROOKIE. LeBron and Kobe do not have the resume that these players have, INCLUDING Shaq

Shaq won MVP, was a runner up for DPOY, won 3 Finals MVP and won 4 championships. He had the most dominant prime in this generation.

lebron is still young and averages 30 points a game. Lebron won the MVP at the NBA players in January. Lebron took his team to the finals last year and they are fighting for it this year. While in his college years lebron was rated one of the best college bball players. Shaq won the chapionship by the help of kobe. Wheh he was on the heat he was with Wade. now he is with steve nash. shaq always had someone.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:44pm On May 08, 2008
SeanT21:

lebron is still young and averages 30 points a game. Lebron won the MVP at the NBA players in January. Lebron took his team to the finals last year and they are fighting for it this year. While in his college years lebron was rated one of the best college bball players. Shaq won the chapionship by the help of kobe. Wheh he was on the heat he was with Wade. now he is with steve nash. shaq always had someone.
James never went to college. he was drafted straight out of high school.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 6:59pm On May 10, 2008
@idoltroll
Your list is ok but you how could you leave out Abdul Jabbar and Dr J thats almost unforgiveable
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by SeanT21(f): 3:47pm On May 12, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

James never went to college. he was drafted straight out of high school.

i meant while in high school years, oops
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by JeSoul(f): 6:48pm On May 12, 2008
SeanT, 
   Carmelo ke? no way, to me he's not even in the top 50! he hasn't done anything n still has a mighty long way to go. Even Lebron and KG are maybe top 20. Lebron still has a LOT to prove before being elevated to top 10 status.

Now I woulda prob put Kobe in the top 10, but I look at that list and I would replace Duncan with Dr J, who else can be taken of that list to make room for Kobe. . .  undecided
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 6:40am On May 13, 2008
@poster
How dare you put Bill Russell ahead of MJ. This is basketball heresy, if you said this in basketball circles everybody would laugh at you. You obviously don't sound like a knowledgable basketball fan because everybody agrees that MJ is hands down the G.O.A.T (THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME). Having said that Bill Russell was great but he is not even regarded as the best of his era, Wilt Chamberlain was and also both this guys played in an era where there were no good athletes, only stiff little white guys, that's why they dominated, i would love to see them play in this mordern day era.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 6:47pm On May 13, 2008
davidif:

@poster
How dare you put Bill Russell ahead of MJ. This is basketball heresy, if you said this in basketball circles everybody would laugh at you. You obviously don't sound like a knowledgable basketball fan because everybody agrees that MJ is hands down the G.O.A.T (THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME). Having said that Bill Russell was great but he is not even regarded as the best of his era, Wilt Chamberlain was and also both this guys played in an era where there were no good athletes, only stiff little white guys, that's why they dominated, i would love to see them play in this mordern day era.

@ poster

How dare you question my NBA knowledge?

Let me share with you a little story about the legendary Bill Russell

Before he played college ball at San Fransisco, the team was NEVER contender. In his only 2 years at San Fransisco, not only did he make them contenders, but he won both championships in as many opportunities.

Then he went on to participate at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics the year he laft San Fran. When he got there, as captain of the US Basketball Team, he lead tham to the Gold Medal and also participated in the high jump (WHEN HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF AN NBA PLAYER PARTICIPATING IN THE HIGH JUMP!!!). He also participated in the decathalon and hisotry has it that he was recorded the 7th fastest man in the world at that time. I seriously doubt if Michael Jordan was nearly as athletic.

The year he entered the NBA his rookie season he failed to lead his team to the championship. The NEXT 11 YEARS he led his team to the championship (the guy has 1 ring in his DICK for God sakes!!). The year after (his last season as a player) he failed, but just to put things in perspective, he was assigned as BOTH a player AND a coach. Then he retired.

So in 13 seasons in the NBA, he led his team to 11 championships.

Not only that. He won 5 MVPs and would've won 11 Finals MVP (if they had such thing at the time).

He is also regarded as the Greatest Defender Of All Time and would've easily broken Olajuwons blocking records if they'd recorded blocks at that time. In 1980, he was also voted the GOAT by ESPN Magazine (consisting a panel of former NBA players and coaches).

Regarding Wilt Chamberlain, who only won 2 championships in Russells era. Bill routinely OWNED Wilt in playoff matches and performances. That's WHY Bill has 11 championships to Wilts 2. Wilt wasn't exactly known for showing up in big spots. His stats would always regress come playoffs time (that should put a stamp to your pathetic arguement).

Jordan actually HAS A LOSING RECORD lifetime playing without arguably the top 3 small forward of all time in Pippen (actually I'll have him over Dr J in the SF list. Dr J was a terrible defender). Jordan NEVER got out of the first round W/O Pippen.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by SENATORJD(m): 6:52pm On May 13, 2008
oboy see history thank God for Google and d likes grin
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 7:25pm On May 13, 2008
@idoltroll
I can assure basketball in those days where not as competitive as the days of MJ so what are you on about?Dr J also has to be in that list because of a lot of moves he brought to the game.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 3:10pm On May 14, 2008
A-40:

@idoltroll
I can assure basketball in those days where not as competitive as the days of MJ so what are you on about?Dr J also has to be in that list because of a lot of moves he brought to the game.

If you want to put Dr. J in the top 10 for reasons stated in your post, then you have to also consider George Mikan, who was the first BIG MAN in the NBA, inventing post moves never witnessed before. His team won many championships and he won 5 MVPs.

You also have to consider Bob Cousy, who invented the dribbling and passing skills that you see today, he also won multiple championships (11) and MVP.

Dr J was a great scorer. . .that was it. He played matador defender and would usually get burned by his man. He's one of the greatest and most creative dunkers of all time, but to say a top 10 player. . .pfffft. He's not even a top 3 Small Forward. I would put Larry Bird and Scottie Pippen over Dr J anyday and twice on Sundays. Pippen had the complete package.

And to say basketball in those days wasn't as competitive is asinine. Just b/c you don't know any basketball players from the 50/60s doesn't mean basketball wasn't as competitive. The 80's was more competitive than Russells era (I'll give you that), but Jordan struggled a lot in the 80s, and he didn't win any championships, and perennially, stuggled to get out of the 1st round IN THE 80s so thats a moot point. In the 90s, when the NBA was much more watered-down from the 80s and guys like Bird and Magic retired, Jordan finally established a sidekick in Pippen and began a dynasty from then on. Jordan only had to face opposing SGs in an aging Clyde Drexler and Reggie Miller as competition. He didn't really have any competition in the 90s, while Russell had ALOT of opposing Cs to deal with including the most dominant scorer in the
history of the league in Wilt Chamberlain. . .and with the likes of whom many are in the HOF.

I can also twist it and say that Bill Russell didn't have the technological advances that the NBA has today, like video editing to examine opponents and their tendencies, proper nourishment, workout regimen, personal trainers, etc. . .

Imagine if he had the luxury of video editing. The guy was a very smart man (one thing people don't know about Russell).
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 3:17pm On May 14, 2008
A-40:

@idoltroll
Your list is ok but you how could you leave out Abdul Jabbar and Dr J thats almost unforgiveable

This is the only critic so far in this thread that seems to make sense. Jabbar should be on that list. I'm sorry. I'm put him #6 and everyone moves down.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by vislabraye(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2008
Like i said B4 kareem should be on that list, I dont know where u got ur source from, but i know little about ur number1
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 8:44am On May 15, 2008
@idoltroll
Obviously you are just new to watching basketball so you go look at stats on google and dare to compare Bill Russell to Michael Jordan if you said this in public that winning 11 championships in the 50's is as impressive as winning 6 championships in 8 years in the 90's, people would laugh so hard till they fall from there chairs. Comparing Bill Russell to MJ is like comparing Rocky Marciano to The Great Prophet Ali (Cassius Clay), a man who went undefeated while fighting nobodys to a man who fought against some of the greatest of all time and lost a few fights. Lets get one thing straight, Bill Russell was one of the few black players in a league that was not competitive in other words he was going up against inferior unathletic white players, also let's not forget the fact the league hadn't merged with the ABA yet so there was a small talent pool at the time. I would sure love to see Michael Jordan dunk on Bill Russell that would make  a sportcenter highlight reel.
Your assertion that Michael Jordan struggled in the 80's is one of the most unbelievable comments i've ever read, this guy was scoring over 50 points over a Larry Bird led Celtics which made Larry Bird say that "there is Michael Jordan and there is everybody else".

You are like the only person in the world to think that Bill Russell is as good as MJ. For further validation, when the list of the top 50 players of all time was released in 1998 Michael Jordan is considered to be the greatest player of all time so be quiet.
By the way, did you ever watch Bill Russell play, i don't think so but i watched Michael Jordan play.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by vislabraye(m): 3:33pm On May 15, 2008
It's obvious u have a looser's mentality, You take offence at people airing their view then why do u post ur comments? Prick?
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 6:18pm On May 16, 2008
@davidif
I agree with you a lot of idoltroll's analysis are very very flawed comparing Bill Russells achievement to M.J's tell me how many good players where in the league as at that time?Comparing M.J to Larry Bird holds no water that was a very weak point why not compare both players in their prime
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by Nobody: 10:13am On May 18, 2008
[quote][/quote]

Read my post right above yours, prick. . .

@ idoltroll
Though u have a fairly average knowledge about the game, your lapses would have been forgivable if u hadn't descended to downright insults.
Do your homework before ever coming up with a self manufactured, google aided "Greatest List".
Whatever you put out here is still subject to a critical review of your peers, and i dare say we find ur submissions DUBIOUS!
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 5:56pm On May 18, 2008
akyns:

Read my post right above yours, prick. . .

@ idoltroll
Though u have a fairly average knowledge about the game, your lapses would have been forgivable if u hadn't descended to downright insults.
Do your homework before ever coming up with a self manufactured, google aided "Greatest List".
Whatever you put out here is still subject to a critical review of your peers, and i dare say we find your submissions DUBIOUS!

I concur sir his submissions put the D in Dubious
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 4:01am On May 19, 2008
@A-40
I am not comparing MJ to Larry Bird, i am just trying to disprove that MJ struggled in the 80's as a player. Also, MJ is better than Larry Bird any day, any time and that includes Larry Bird's prime. Larry Bird as good as he was simply not athletic so he made up for it by being fundamentally sound, MJ on the other hand had no weaknesses on the basketball court.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 7:41pm On May 19, 2008
@davidif
There is no basis for comparison and that is why Jordan is the greatest i mean compare Bill Russell's competitors to Jordan's the league was a zillion times more competitive i mean in the East you had the Knicks with Ewing,Sprewell the Pacers had Reggie Miller the Magic had Shaq and Penny Hardaway.To the West there was the Jazz with the Mailman( Karl Malone)Stockton, the Sonics had Kemp,Payton the Rockets had Hakeem,Kenny Smith, Clyde Drexler and these guys didnt win squat when M.J was around so what are we talking about here?M.J is the greatest
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 11:49pm On May 19, 2008
Russell is the GOAT IMO. 11 rings in 13 years trumps Jordan and they have the same number of MVPs, 5.  The Celtics didn't win before Russell got there and they stopped winning as soon as he left.  Plus the Celtics didn't have a team like the Pistons that dominated them the way they did Jordan.  It's not a big gap, and I can certainly understand people taking Jordan.  But there are enough little things to sway me to Russell.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 12:30am On May 20, 2008
davidif:

@poster

What exactly did Jordan do that was so much better than what Russell did, other than doing it later so that you actually remember it?? They each won 5 MVPs. Russell also finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice and 4th twice; Jordan finished 2nd three times and 3rd twice. I said there isn't much of a difference, but it's hard to overlook 11 rings in 13 years. Think about it, Russell lost two playoff series in his entire career, and he was hurt for one of them. Jordan lost more than that to the Pistons.

Russell won titles when he was on the best team, when there wasn't a clear favorite and when his team was the underdog. In the NBA where playoff success is how we separate the great from the not so great, no one can touch Russell.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by idoltroll: 12:33am On May 20, 2008
Rusell>>>Jordan
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 12:35am On May 20, 2008
davidif:

@idoltroll
Obviously you are just new to watching basketball so you go look at stats on google and dare to compare Bill Russell to Michael Jordan if you said this in public that winning 11 championships in the 50's is as impressive as winning 6 championships in 8 years in the 90's, people would laugh so hard till they fall from there chairs. Comparing Bill Russell to MJ is like comparing Rocky Marciano to The Great Prophet Ali (Cassius Clay), a man who went undefeated while fighting nobodys to a man who fought against some of the greatest of all time and lost a few fights. Lets get one thing straight, Bill Russell was one of the few black players in a league that was not competitive in other words he was going up against inferior unathletic white players, also let's not forget the fact the league hadn't merged with the ABA yet so there was a small talent pool at the time. I would sure love to see Michael Jordan dunk on Bill Russell that would make  a sportcenter highlight reel.
Your assertion that Michael Jordan struggled in the 80's is one of the most unbelievable comments i've ever read, this guy was scoring over 50 points over a Larry Bird led Celtics which made Larry Bird say that "there is Michael Jordan and there is everybody else".

You are like the only person in the world to think that Bill Russell is as good as MJ. For further validation, when the list of the top 50 players of all time was released in 1998 Michael Jordan is considered to be the greatest player of all time so be quiet.
By the way, did you ever watch Bill Russell play, i don't think so but i watched Michael Jordan play.

Well, I watched Bill Russell play.  I also watched Michael Jordan get beaten three times by the Pistons.  That's more playoff losses than Russell had in his entire career.  BTW, you do realize that Russell won 9 of his titles in the 60s, not the 50s like you alluded to.  And he beat some pretty decent players to get them -- guys named Wilt, Oscar, West and Baylor.

If you want a play that would show up on SportsCenter, take Jordan.  If you want a guy that would be on the winning team, take Russell.  He's the greatest winner in the history of team sports.  And in a league where postseason success is how the greats are determined, no one can touch him.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 12:45am On May 20, 2008
A-40:

@davidif
I agree with you a lot of idoltroll's analysis are very very flawed comparing Bill Russells achievement to M.J's tell me how many good players where in the league as at that time?Comparing M.J to Larry Bird holds no water that was a very weak point why not compare both players in their prime

You also need to consider the advantages afforded to athletes in different eras. Russell was supremely athletic and more athletic than any big today (not relative to the time, I mean absolutely). Give him the advantages of the modern athlete, and I'd think we'd see something special.

Jordan had advance medicine, training, and 2 eras of players to emulate his game after.

Russell had people throwing hot dogs at him and calling him the n word in St.Louis.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by davidif: 1:41am On May 20, 2008
millico and idoltroll;
Honestly when did you guys start watching basketball because i am really curious, and Millico88 i am interested how you went to the Boston garden to watch Bill Russell play during the Jim Crow era, please stop trying to fool us. Winning 6 championships in 8 years (it could have been 8 of 8 had he not retired abruptly) is more impressive than just looking at stats of the old era and saying woah, Russell won 11 championships!!! of course if i played soccer against primary school students, i would be the next Ronaldo. A better analogy would be comparing Cassius Clay to Rocky Marciano. Rocky had the better record (undefeated) because he fought vastly inferior oponents and an aging Joe Lewis, Clay on the other hand fought some of the greatest heavyweights to have ever entered the Ring and lost a few but he is regarded as the greatest of all time. Yes Bill played some worthy adversaries at the time but they were just a few (West, Baylor, Oscar and Wilt) compared to MJ who was playing against many many many more talented players that i can't even begin to rattle off my head.
Finally to settle the debate, the NBA came out with the list of the greatest players to ever play the game sometime around 1998 and Michael Jordan was on top of the list. nuff said.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by A40(m): 6:34pm On May 20, 2008
@millco and idoltroll
Please read my post its not about how many rings or whatever its the level of competition.Could you name 5 strong teams in the Bill Russell era? your excuses do not exactly hold water didnt his competitors and rivals also have advanced training and medicine.I mean look at all these great players i mentioned these are all hall of famers or hall of famers in waiting and still they couldnt win anything when Jordan was around.Miller,Malone,Stockton,Olajuwon,Hardaway,Shaq,Ewing these are who Jordan dominated
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 8:08pm On May 20, 2008
davidif:

millico and idoltroll;
Honestly when did you guys start watching basketball because i am really curious, and Millico88 i am interested how you went to the Boston garden to watch Bill Russell play during the Jim Crow era, please stop trying to fool us. Winning 6 championships in 8 years (it could have been 8 of 8 had he not retired abruptly) is more impressive than just looking at stats of the old era and saying woah, Russell won 11 championships!!! of course if i played soccer against primary school students, i would be the next Ronaldo. A better analogy would be comparing Cassius Clay to Rocky Marciano. Rocky had the better record (undefeated) because he fought vastly inferior oponents and an aging Joe Lewis, Clay on the other hand fought some of the greatest heavyweights to have ever entered the Ring and lost a few but he is regarded as the greatest of all time. Yes Bill played some worthy adversaries at the time but they were just a few (West, Baylor, Oscar and Wilt) compared to MJ who was playing against many many many more talented players that i can't even begin to rattle off my head.
Finally to settle the debate, the NBA came out with the list of the greatest players to ever play the game sometime around 1998 and Michael Jordan was on top of the list. nuff said.

I'm not arguing against Jordan per se, but a poll taken or a list compiled in 1998 was going to naturally favor a current player as opposed to one who'd played thirty years earlier.

So that doesn't settle the debate at all, especially since any list or poll simply reflects opinion, not rock-hard science.
Re: Top 10 Nba Players Of All Time by millco88(f): 8:43pm On May 20, 2008
A-40:

@millco and idoltroll
Please read my post its not about how many rings or whatever its the level of competition.Could you name 5 strong teams in the Bill Russell era? your excuses do not exactly hold water didnt his competitors and rivals also have advanced training and medicine.I mean look at all these great players i mentioned these are all hall of famers or hall of famers in waiting and still they couldnt win anything when Jordan was around.Miller,Malone,Stockton,Olajuwon,Hardaway,Shaq,Ewing these are who Jordan dominated

First off, Olajuwon won while Jordan was around in '95 and Shaq and A. Hardaway's Magic defeated Jordan's Bulls in the 1995 playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199505120CHI.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199505160ORL.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199505180CHI.html

Secondly, although I agree that it would be harder for Russell to win as regularly in today's NBA (a less consolidated league, more player movement, more parity, more "complexity,"wink, you also have to consider that an NBA with fewer franchises could produce more "super-teams," such as the 1969 Lakers. They featured Wilt Chamebrlain, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor, arguably three of the twelve or fifteen greatest players ever, and they still lost to Russell's Celtics.

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1969.htm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Side Of Football / Brand New Crazy Fit Massage Machine @ ₦100,000 / League ✅✅✅

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.