Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,142 members, 7,838,904 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? (1604 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by Sentra: 4:02pm On May 02, 2008
This is one issue that really bother me.I still can not comprehend how a proud Oodua child will refuse to teach his child how to speak Yoruba.Its simply pathethic.Living in a foreign land is great enough challenge for you to - as a must speak Yoruba to your child.
Agreed, English is the medium of communication in most of the countries but dont you think our children will pick this up naturally with little or no effort?We need to shift our emphasis to teaching this children about their roots.
As for me and my spouse, we are black and proud and we are teaching our children to speak Yoruba.They runs chores,kneels down etc I tell u, they make me proud.I can either communicate with them in Yoruba or switch to English depending on the circumstance.

What do you think?Share your thoughts.
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by chisimdi(f): 4:11pm On May 02, 2008
Sentra:

This is one issue that really bother me.I still can not comprehend how a proud Oodua child will refuse to teach his child how to speak Yoruba.Its simply pathethic.Living in a foreign land is great enough challenge for you to - as a must speak Yoruba to your child.
Agreed, English is the medium of communication in most of the countries but don't you think our children will pick this up naturally with little or no effort?We need to shift our emphasis to teaching this children about their roots.
As for me and my spouse, we are black and proud and we are teaching our children to speak Yoruba.They runs chores,kneels down etc I tell u, they make me proud.I can either communicate with them in Yoruba or switch to English depending on the circumstance.

What do you think?Share your thoughts.

@sentra link,D best tin dat 'll eva happen 2 any parents,especially d 1s livin' abroad is 2 mk sure deir kids learn deir language cos ENGLISH 'll definitely b learnt once they start skull
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by presido1: 9:21am On May 03, 2008
Sure, the lang they speak to me must be my own lang(IGBO). They can speak any other thing when with their friends.
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by Sentra: 6:25pm On Jul 21, 2008
na wa o
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by ifyalways(f): 6:27pm On Jul 21, 2008
Yes i thought them and they speak it fluently.,. ,.,IGBO  cheesy
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by LadyJ1: 6:29pm On Jul 21, 2008
@topic

ofcourse i do
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by echelon(m): 6:31pm On Jul 21, 2008
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by naijadiva2(f): 6:34pm On Jul 21, 2008
i think its important for parents to teach their lanaguage to their children. i just think its sad when (africans) parents don't just so that their children can be "americanized".
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by Gamine(f): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2008
My parents didnt teach me, i have nothing to teach my kids embarassed
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by hamlak(m): 11:49am On Jul 23, 2008
My kids speak and understand Igbo, my dialect.

But surprisingly, I did not SIT DOWN to teach them, just by speaking
my language of birth with my wife in the house, they got it.

Maybe marrying someone from the same tribe helped grin.

Sure it is good for your kids to bee able to speak their language
wether here or abroad.
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by Nobody: 3:18am On Aug 05, 2008
When I have mines, I sure will. There is no exception
Re: Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? by bigfather(m): 12:06am On Aug 06, 2008
Very necesarry but not compulsory !

(1) (Reply)

Ala Igbo Di Mma [Igbo Speaking Thread] / Swaziland Tests Girls' Virginity In The Open For The King To Make A Choice. / The Town In China Where Eggs Are Boiled Using Urine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.