Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma (7467 Views)

Hnd/b.sc Holders Discrimination: Irrelevant, Dangerious & Unconstitutional. / Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders / Postgraduate Study Abroad With Higher National Diploma (hnd) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kayusbrown(m): 9:30am On Jun 06, 2013
A clinical analysis of the discrimination against Higher National Diploma (HND) as it affects employment opportunity for holders of the certificate will reveal that the real issue is actually limited jobs opportunities out there and not the discrimination itself. In a booming economy with sufficient job opportunities, national diploma certificate alone is sufficient to land a good job that will guarantee decent living. If bagging a bachelor's degree guarantees automatic employment, there won't be numerous unemployed university graduates out there. Either your hold HND or bachelor’s degree, you'll still have to compete for the limited job opportunities available. The HND holder however has the advantage of starting small with jobs requiring National Diploma (ND) (some degree holders who had passed through the polytechnic before proceeding to the university also have this advantage). However, after securing a job, the HND holder still has to acquire additional academic qualification(s) in order to rise to the zenith of his/her career. What then are the alternatives available to the HND and holder and how does he/she break the discrimination barrier?

1. Entrepreneurship
This is the most effective weapon against unemployment and all forms of limitations associated with the discrimination against HND. With your HND certificate, you can create job for yourself and even degree holders.

2. Professional Certifications
Getting an internationally recognised professional certificate also increases the chance of securing a job. Despite the discrimination, most employers will still prefer a HND holder with relevant internationally recognised certificate to a fresh university graduate with none.

3. Master’s Degree
Studying further for a master's degree is another way of breaking the barrier of the discrimination. There are two categories of master's degree; professional and academic. All Universities in Nigeria do not admit HND holders directly (without postgraduate diploma or additional professional certifications) into their academic master's degree programmes. Only few among the universities admit HND holders with some years of experience into their professional master’s degree programme.
The good news however is there are many US’s and Australian universities that admit HND holders directly into their academic master's degree programme. So for those who can afford to travel overseas, this is an excellent alternative.

4. Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
This is the best path to follow for those already in government employment in order to cross the grade level 14 hurdle. The Postgraduate Diploma also serves as a bridge to the academic master’s degree programmes in Nigerian universities, though some universities like University of Lagos would still not admit HND holders with PGD into their master’s degree programme.

5. Going for the freaking bachelor’s degree
This is one of the most difficult steps to take after HND. For those willing to follow this difficult path, the best way to go about is to travel to the UK for a top-up degree. The United Kingdom’s (UK) top-up degree is designed for the holders of her BTEC-HND (Business and Technology Education Council-Higher National Diploma). The BTEC-HND is a vocational qualification, usually studied full-time but can be studied part-time. It is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a 3 year degree in the UK. It is however equivalent to the Nigerian National Diploma (ND) and should not be confused with the Nigerian HND. Admission to the UK’s top-up degree programme can be gained with either the Nigerian ND certificate or HND certificate.

Above all, it is important to keep in mind that: The purpose of education is not to fill the minds with facts, but to teach the mind how to think. Therefore, the worth of an educated person is not determined by the certificate the person brandishes. It is rather determined by the problems the person can solve through creative thinking and innovation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by oluwatobiloba1: 1:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
like which the universities abroad accept OND for a top up programme.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kayusbrown(m): 7:48am On Jun 07, 2013
oluwatobi_loba: like which the universities abroad accept OND for a top up programme.
What course did u study at ND level?
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by lambvard: 10:09am On Jun 07, 2013
Ond comp. Sci and hnd comp. Sci which sch in abroad can i further my education.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by lambvard: 10:17am On Jun 07, 2013
Which country and sch can i apply to after my hnd comp. Sci, or Nd comp. Sci
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kayusbrown(m): 2:13pm On Jun 07, 2013
lambvard: Ond comp. Sci and hnd comp. Sci which sch in abroad can i further my education.

Here is one: http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/Computer-Science-Direct-Entry-to-the-Final-Year.cfm There are many others especially in the UK.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Toks84: 10:10pm On Jun 07, 2013
@OP, could u list some of the nigeria universities that accept pgd for master and their requirements.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kayusbrown(m): 5:20am On Jun 08, 2013
Toks84: @OP, could u list some of the nigeria universities that accept pgd for master and their requirements.

Can't really give you a comprehensive list but I'll try. All federal and state university of technology accept HND+PGD for admission into their academic master's degree programmes, however most of them would insist on a minimum grade of upper credit at PGD level. Other conventional universities that also admit include ABU, UNIMAID, BUK, UNILORIN in the north, Nnamdi Azikwe Uni, Awka in the south-east, LASU, EKSU, AAUA and FUNAAB in south-west. For private universities, American University of Nigeria (you'll need some years of experience with ur HND to gain admission to their PGD programme) and Babcock Uni (they also admit HND with professional certifications directly into their Academic master's in Computer science without PGD)

NB: Those are the institutions I'm aware of. There may be other institutions that also admit HND+PGD to their academic master's degree programme.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by lambvard: 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2013
Thanks for the valuable information, Almighty God will help u out in all your endevour
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by emmy4climax(m): 4:23pm On Jan 16, 2015
kayusbrown:
A clinical analysis of the discrimination against Higher National Diploma (HND) as it affects employment opportunity for holders of the certificate will reveal that the real issue is actually limited jobs opportunities out there and not the discrimination itself. In a booming economy with sufficient job opportunities, national diploma certificate alone is sufficient to land a good job that will guarantee decent living. If bagging a bachelor's degree guarantees automatic employment, there won't be numerous unemployed university graduates out there. Either your hold HND or bachelor’s degree, you'll still have to compete for the limited job opportunities available. The HND holder however has the advantage of starting small with jobs requiring National Diploma (ND) (some degree holders who had passed through the polytechnic before proceeding to the university also have this advantage). However, after securing a job, the HND holder still has to acquire additional academic qualification(s) in order to rise to the zenith of his/her career. What then are the alternatives available to the HND and holder and how does he/she break the discrimination barrier?

1. Entrepreneurship
This is the most effective weapon against unemployment and all forms of limitations associated with the discrimination against HND. With your HND certificate, you can create job for yourself and even degree holders.

Getting an internationally recognised professional certificate also increases the chance of securing a job. Despite the discrimination, most employers will still prefer a HND holder with relevant internationally recognised certificate to a fresh university graduate with none.

3. Master’s Degree
Studying further for a master's degree is another way of breaking the barrier of the discrimination. There are two categories of master's degree; professional and academic. All Universities in Nigeria do not admit HND holders directly (without postgraduate diploma or additional professional certifications) into their academic master's degree programmes. Only few among the universities admit HND holders with some years of experience into their professional master’s degree programme.
The good news however is there are many US’s and Australian universities that admit HND holders directly into their academic master's degree programme. So for those who can afford to travel overseas, this is an excellent alternative.

This is the best path to follow for those already in government employment in order to cross the grade level 14 hurdle. The Postgraduate Diploma also serves as a bridge to the academic master’s degree programmes in Nigerian universities, though some universities like University of Lagos would still not admit HND holders with PGD into their master’s degree programme.

This is one of the most difficult steps to take after HND. For those willing to follow this difficult path, the best way to go about is to travel to the UK for a top-up degree. The United Kingdom’s (UK) top-up degree is designed for the holders of her BTEC-HND (Business and Technology Education Council-Higher National Diploma). The BTEC-HND is a vocational qualification, usually studied full-time but can be studied part-time. It is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a 3 year degree in the UK. It is however equivalent to the Nigerian National Diploma (ND) and should not be confused with the Nigerian HND. Admission to the UK’s top-up degree programme can be gained with either the Nigerian ND certificate or HND certificate.

Above all, it is important to keep in mind that: The purpose of education is not to fill the minds with facts, but to teach the mind how to think. Therefore, the worth of an educated person is not determined by the certificate the person brandishes. It is rather determined by the problems the person can solve through creative thinking and innovation.
I'm a HND holder in architecture and I have an
opportunity of traveling to Switzerland or
Germany. pls I want to know if with my
qualification I can do a masters program in
any university in either country.
Thank you
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by emmy4climax(m): 4:28pm On Jan 16, 2015
I'm a HND holder in architecture and I have the
opportunity of traveling to Switzerland or
Germany. pls I want to know if with my
qualification I can do a masters program in
any university in either country. thank you
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by buskopam(m): 8:55pm On Jan 16, 2015
Pls I studied public admin my question is which skul should applu for my masters degree
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Olayiwola124(m): 7:42pm On May 06, 2015
Am HND holder and I also hold PGD, can I use the PGD dat I got from NOUN to further Masters in another university?
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Olayiwola124(m): 7:45pm On May 06, 2015
kayusbrown:

Can't really give you a comprehensive list but I'll try. All federal and state university of technology accept HND+PGD for admission into their academic master's degree programmes, however most of them would insist on a minimum grade of upper credit at PGD level. Other conventional universities that also admit include ABU, UNIMAID, BUK, UNILORIN in the north, Nnamdi Azikwe Uni, Awka in the south-east, LASU, EKSU, AAUA and FUNAAB in south-west. For private universities, American University of Nigeria (you'll need some years of experience with ur HND to gain admission to their PGD programme) and Babcock Uni (they also admit HND with professional certifications directly into their Academic master's in Computer science without PGD)

NB: Those are the institutions I'm aware of. There may be other institutions that also admit HND+PGD to their academic master's degree programme.
. Can I use the PGD certificate I got from a university in a Nigerian university to further Masters in another university?
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kalunomics(m): 10:34am On Nov 29, 2015
kayusbrown:

1. Entrepreneurship

3. Master’s Degree
[b]The good news however is there are many US’s and Australian universities that admit HND holders directly into their academic master's degree [b/]. So for those who can afford to travel overseas, this is an excellent alternative.

Can you help me with list of Australian universities that accept HND directly into Masters program in Mechanical or related engineering courses
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by kayusbrown(m): 2:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
kalunomics:

Can you help me with list of Australian universities that accept HND directly into Masters program in Mechanical or related engineering courses

The first step is to apply to World Education Services (www.wes.org) for credential evaluation. You'll need to forward your ND and HND transcript to the agency (WES) and pay the prescribed fees. The result of the evaluation will determine your next steps. I don't know the course you studied and the institution you graduated from however, most ND and HND evaluation turns out to be equivalent to US Bachelor's degree (provided the total number of courses you took and passed meets the minimum US standard in terms of credit hours). You can later apply to any US, Canada or Australian University with the result of your credential evaluation.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Rilwayne001: 3:09pm On Dec 03, 2015
Yet, this HND of a programme is a total waste of time and effort.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nice write up.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 03, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Yet, this HND of a programme is a total waste of time and effort.

Majorly because paper works and certificate are hyped in the part of the world. If the knowledge was of interest, ur comment should be otherwise.
Re: Breaking The Yoke Of The Discrimination Against Higher National Diploma by Abdul4trust1(m): 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2015
kayusbrown:

akwa Ibom is south-south.

(1) (Reply)

Finally FG Announced Date For Schools Resumption / Project Topics And Materials In GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING / UNIBEN Faithful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.