Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem (1464 Views)

President Mugabe Spends $1million On His 92nd Birthday (photos) / Youngest Female Billionaire Radicalizes American Healthcare / Norway Billionaire Offers 5,000 Nights To Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 06, 2013
[b] He dropped out of Baylor University , but Texas billionaire D. Andrew Beal has always been fascinated by numbers and the theories behind them.

Now Beal, who, with a net worth of $8 billion ranks 43 rd on the Forbes list of U.S. billionaires, is offering a $1 million reward to anyone who can solve a math problem - now dubbed the Beal Conjecture - that Beal has been trying to solve since 1993.

The long-running reward started at $5,000 in 1997, and bumped up to $100,000 in 2000, where it remained for 13 years. Now the money has hit nine figures.

It all started with Beal's determination to solve the 350-year-old mystery of Fermat's Last Theorem - the idea that Ax + By = Cz. Beal realized that there could only be solutions to the equation when A, B, and C have a common numerical factor.

"Others have looked at other closely related problems, but I believe Beal was the first to express it in that way," Don McClure, the executive director of the American Mathematical Society , which announced the $1 million prize, told ABC News Beal took his Fermat's Last Theorem findings to R. Daniel Mauldin , then a mathematics professor at the University of North Texas, who came up with the idea to offer a prize to anyone who could prove the theory.

Jordan Ellenberg, a mathematician at the University of Wisconsin, said confirming the theory could revolutionize the field.

"Any solution to this problem would signal a real new idea and not minor progress," he said.

Mauldin, who was part of a committee that has reviewed hundreds of proposed solutions over the years, said none ever worked.
[/b]

Continue reading here: www.gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/billionaire-offers-1-million-solve-math-problem-153508422.html
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by ATMC(f): 7:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
I think this is a 3-dimensional problem. It can only be solved using matrixes for one linear equation with 3 variables cannot be solved alone therefore 2 more linear equations are needed.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by kponkedenge(m): 7:36pm On Jun 06, 2013
ATMC: I think this is a 3-dimensional problem. It can only be solved using matrixes for one linear equation with 3 variables cannot be solved alone therefore 2 more linear equations are needed.
Stop ur rambling n solve it so we can share d money 2geda. I nor go skol if not I for don solve am tay tay collect d moni. sad sad
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by ATMC(f): 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
kponke denge:
Stop ur rambling n solve it so we can share d money 2geda. I nor go skol if not I for don solve am tay tay collect d moni. sad sad
are you sick?
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by ATMC(f): 7:41pm On Jun 06, 2013
...a constant would have made this a bit easier *thinking*

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
ATMC: ...a constant would have made this a bit easier *thinking*
Please remember I gave you the info when you solve it ooo, so 10% is mine.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by ATMC(f): 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2013
Try too...you don't have straws up there
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 06, 2013
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 08, 2013
The offer still stands...this is a cool $1 million dollars begging to be earned. Where are our maths professors and straight A students?
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by panafrican(m): 6:46pm On Jun 08, 2013
Pipsland78: The offer still stands...this is a cool $1 million dollars begging to be earned. Where are our maths professors and straight A students?
It took more than 350 years to prove Fermat's conjecture, so chill.
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 8:48am On Jun 11, 2013
Easy problem..
Cnt blv no1 has crackd it yet..undecided
Smh
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 11, 2013
^^^ At last we have someone smart enough to crack the case and solve the problem. But remember 20% is mine.
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 11, 2013
Pipsland78: ^^^ At last we have someone smart enough to crack the case and solve the problem. But remember 2% is mine.
2% cheiii that's nothing I'll even make it 3 grin

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Inik(m): 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2013
I wish i was a maths guru embarassed

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by digitite: 11:59am On Jun 13, 2013
I can try. Let me see what I can come up with.
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by digitite: 4:29pm On Jun 13, 2013
I came up with this...

A x + By = Cz

If A = 1, B= 2, C = 7
then x = 3, y = 5, z = 6

therefore;
Ax + By = Cz
13+ 25= 76

That's my 10cent.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by digitite: 4:46pm On Jun 13, 2013
Pipsland78:
Please remember I gave you the info when you solve it ooo, so 10% is mine.

When we win the prize, I will give you 10%. Make sure it gets to the right source and follow up the news. Keep me posted on any new development. One Love cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2013
digitite:

When we win the prize, I will give you 10%. Make sure it gets to the right source and follow up the news. Keep me posted on any new development. One Love cool.
I sure will follow it up...let me forward it to the right source.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Amujale(m): 10:30pm On May 22, 2019
Awesome thread. Well in Op
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by Amujale(m): 10:42pm On May 22, 2019
digitite:
I came up with this...

A x + By = Cz

If A = 1, B= 2, C = 7
then x = 3, y = 5, z = 6

therefore;
Ax + By = Cz
13+ 25= 76

That's my 10cent.

On my mind you get 10 x 10 per-cent for your effort.

I don’t know for certain if your answer is what the moguls are seeking however , for me, your mathematics is gorgeous and transparent.
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by pacino26(m): 11:06pm On May 26, 2019
digitite:
I came up with this...

A x + By = Cz

If A = 1, B= 2, C = 7
then x = 3, y = 5, z = 6

therefore;
Ax + By = Cz
13+ 25= 76

That's my 10cent.

Review your laws of indices and revisit this your 10cent
Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by panafrican(m): 4:44am On May 27, 2019
digitite:
I came up with this...

A x + By = Cz

If A = 1, B= 2, C = 7
then x = 3, y = 5, z = 6

therefore;
Ax + By = Cz
13+ 25= 76

That's my 10cent.

I will make less effort than you and get more money
Here is how :
Let's set A=B=C = 0 and suppose x, y, z are exponents.
then any (x, y, z) is a solution provided none of x, y, z is less than or equal to zero.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by TAO11(f): 8:09pm On May 28, 2019
panafrican:

I will make less effort than you and get more money
Here is how :
Let's set A=B=C = 0 and suppose x, y, z are exponents.
then any (x, y, z) is a solution provided none of x, y, z is less than or equal to zero.

Hahaha ...

Baba, No serious mathematician will take you seriously for coming up with that --- Not even an amateur mathematician.

That's known technically as a "trivial solution."

If that was allowed I would have long claimed to have PROVEN at least one case of Fermat's Last Theorem, lol!

Las las na one case a whole Euler Leonhard prove! grin grin

I would simply have said I have proven true the non-equality: an + bn ≠ cn at n= 0.

Shebi 1+1 ≠ 1

But sadly "trivial solutions" doesn't count. grin grin

These guys should "dash" money if they really want to. Must they drive people mad first? grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by panafrican(m): 3:11am On May 29, 2019
Trivial solutions are like the devil in the details in mathematics , one reason why there is a need to well define the restrictions within which a theorem or a postulate is stated, otherwise things can collapse easily like a castle built on the sand grin
For instance had Fermat not stated that n be greater than or equal to 3, his last theorem would have been easily defeated by a simple addition
1^1 + 1^1 = 2^1

Or by any Pythagorean triple, for instance
(3, 4, 5 ) because 3^2 + 4^2= 5^2 ;
( 5, 12, 13) because 5^2 + 12^ 2 = 13^2

etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Billionaire Offers $1million To Solve This Maths Problem by digitite: 12:18pm On Jun 11, 2019
Amujale:

On my mind you get 10 x 10 per-cent for your effort.

I don’t know for certain if your answer is what the moguls are seeking however , for me, your mathematics is gorgeous and transparent.

Thank you Sir. In fact, if you have any mathematical problem, table it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Joe Biden Is Officially The President-elect Of The United States. / THIS IS WHY NO ONE ON EARTH CAN WIN RUSSIA IN A WAR NOT EVEN USA / Donbass Republics, Zaporozhye & Kherson Regions Kick Off Vote On Joining Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.