Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Combining English With Native Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Combining English With Native Language (603 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Combining English With Native Language by Kingclickmedia: 3:41pm On Jun 07, 2013
How do you feel when you meet anyone combining english with his/her native language?

This is becoming common here in NIGERIA. When some people are talking, you sometimes can't understand them because they combines two or more languages together thereby irritating your (listener's) ear. Sometimes, this can help some people (i.e those that can understands both/combines languages) comprehend or express themself good. For me I don't like such things cos it simply tells me that you don't know your language or a particular language good. I know this exists in every tribes/languages in nigeria but lets use igbo as an example :~ Someone will say "ódikwà very risky", my question is; the above sentence is it igbo or english? One igbo word and two english words; assuming you don't know both languages good how could you be able to understand this sentence? I know that no language is complete but lets try and keep our language(s) natural and also our culture. No long story; whats your point of view ?
Re: Combining English With Native Language by StarFlux: 9:00pm On Jun 07, 2013
Well, the situation which you find in many African countries today, this time Nigeria, is quite sad.

It's actually not a question of the language being complete or not, because basic words/phrases that are easily expressed are replaced by English versions for no other reason than lack of awareness of what they are doing to their language, and/or the fact that it's common now not to be completely fluent in your native tongue.

I call all this English language pollution. It's really nothing else.

(1) (Reply)

Stereotypes Bringing Africa Down. / Calling Nigerians Born In Nigeria / Which Nigerian Tribes Accord Women Their Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.