Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,903 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria (36723 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Igala Language In Anambra State. / What Is English Name For "obokun" Fish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 6:31pm On Jun 19, 2006
Can somebody help me out with this. I often get confused about regarding english language as either our native language in Nigeria or an official language. This very position is very difficult to determine even in the international relations.

I know there are great minds in the house so I want your contributions.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 10:12pm On Jun 19, 2006
which kind of qwwession is this?

ENglish is just an official language.

Native languages are the languages u speak where you are from i.e hausa, igbo, yoruba, efik, ijaw etc.

Someone please correct me if im wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by EdehOnos(m): 1:30am On Jun 20, 2006
OK,English is not our native language in Nigeria but an official language.And I do not think there is any country in Africa that has English as it's native language.
The native languages we have in Nigeria include:Yoruba,Ibo,Hausa,Ijaws,Urhobo etc.
There's another language in Nigeria called Gousa,it is an official language authored by Mr. Alex Igbineweka,a native of Edo.This language has gained global acceptance as exemplified by it's recognition at THE American Heritage University in San Bernadine Southern California USA, which included the Guosa Language Certificate programme in its academic syllabus
Gousa language is made of chunks of several Nigeria languages.
Don't you guys think Pigeon English should gain similar acceptance?
Edeh Onoriode

cool cry

1 Like

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Nosu(m): 12:46am On Jul 02, 2006
yea u guys are right, English is not our native language, it is just our official language . which help every tribe in nija to easily communicate with each other. Thank God for english, there for be big confusion for naija with more than 300 laguages.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by mide2(f): 12:51am On Jul 02, 2006
English is the official language thanks to the brutal colonialism.

1 Like

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by egus(m): 8:40am On Jul 14, 2006
I agree with you Edeh.onos. Infact most east african countries have english as the official language and swahili(which is a mixture of other languages including arab) as the national language. I therefore propose PIDGIN as our national language. Votes for and against?
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by mide2(f): 9:49am On Jul 24, 2006
i totally vote for am oh
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Pastev1(m): 3:56pm On Jul 24, 2006
no
[flash=200,200][/flash][img][/img]
[color=#990000][/color]
hhhjj shocked cool cool cool cool tongue embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed
[tr][/tr]
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by finemocha(f): 1:23am On Mar 21, 2007
muyete

dear if u are asking a question like that then maybe u should go and ask ur parents what tribe u are from, the last time i checked there wasnt an english tribe in naija. grin
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by OmoEko1(f): 1:24am On Mar 21, 2007
@the topic

Englis is not our Native Language but French is cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 1:28am On Mar 21, 2007
English is not our native language which is why i dey vex for people wey dey try diss others for grammatical errors, such colonial snobbery *puke* tongue
But i am glad we speak it sha! atleast we can communicate with 80%of this mad world grin
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by MP007(m): 3:41am On Sep 01, 2007
Who is the idiot that posted this nonsence, Seuun u get work to do oooo, dam! ,

@ poster, dont u know the difference btw native and official language? ,
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 11:59am On Sep 01, 2007
Its been more than a year since I posted the question whether english Language is our native langusge in Nigeria or an official language.

I thank you all

I have received various responses. Some are mild and some are very harsh. I make reference to in particular to MP007 and FINEMOCHA. Your manner of regarding your fellow folks is rather very inimcal to a modern day intellectual display.

Who is an idiot?
Is it he who does not know and whishes that he be told so that he can know or he who still regard he who now knows since a year ago as if he does not know.

My friend, MP007, what you have simply done is just a cheer didplay of of idiotism. I displayded an ignorance of a subject more than a year ago. I need not tell you that my knowledge is now updated on this particular topic. When next you response to a similar thread like this allow yourself the priviledge of displaying your intellectual and analytical consideration before given your response. And next time try and regard your fellow nairalanders with some sense of respect and civility.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Nella(f): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2007
MP007:

Who is the idiot that posted this nonsence, Seuun u get work to do oooo, dam! ,

@ poster, don't u know the difference between native and official language? ,

abeg ask am o!
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by iyaaje(m): 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2007
no na yoruba language be our ovisial lanaguage
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by dot2002(m): 6:11pm On Dec 19, 2007
dog and monkey
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by grafikdon: 1:50am On Dec 20, 2007
The guy is right, English is our native language. The most populous tribe in Nigeria is Oyibo (90% of the population) so other minority migrant tribes like Igbo and Yoruba had no choice but to blend in and flow with English, the language of the Oyibo tribe.

Na real wa for WAEC o. . . grin
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by dtwsola(m): 2:43am On Dec 20, 2007
You guys shouldn't dismiss the question as rubbish. This is actually a very good and complicated question. I have to say yes English is Nigeria's native language. Nigeria is an official entity created by British colonialists. Since it is nothing but an official entity, it's established official language is also it's native language. Just ask yourself where the name "Nigeria" was derived from. It was not from any of so called native Nigerians' vernacular.
The colonialists did not understand and had no respect for the tribal system that was in place where there was Yorubaland Igboland, Hausaland, etc. THe same goes for Cmeroon, Ghana, Niger, and pretty much all African nations
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by wendymanda: 7:41am On Dec 21, 2007
The guy is right, English is our native language. The most populous tribe in Nigeria is Oyibo (90% of the population) so other minority migrant tribes like Igbo and Yoruba had no choice but to blend in and flow with English, the language of the Oyibo tribe.

Na real wa for WAEC o. . .
Very funny. Am still laughing
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 8:09am On Jan 11, 2008
I am beging to enjoy more, your contributions and your opinion about english language being our native language or not in Nigeria.

Please your contributions comming. You guys are great. cheesy
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by olydim: 10:04am On Jan 11, 2008
English may not be our native language, but certainly, it has become part of our culture, having been with us in our everyday lives for at least a 100 years.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2008
Yes!  Most indegenus languages remain undocumented.   The English Language remains the main language in schools and offices today.  So with time, English will be the only official Language in Nigeria.  Good or bad I do not  know. undecided
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11, 2008
You are right.

I wonder why over 90% of parents would want there children to learn English language first before other languages. We are not doing justice to ourselves by not regarding english language as our native language.

We were colonized by the english and since then our orientation is bent toward learning and speaking english language.

Have we forgotten that we are categorised as an anglophone country 9 English Speaking country. What else do you want to be convince that english language should be adopted as our native language.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Blackcat(f): 11:22pm On Jan 11, 2008
Nigeria is an English speaking country. That automatically makes English one of our native languages. Some Nigerians can only speak English for those ones English is also their mother tongue.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 7:53am On Jan 14, 2008
Good talk blackcat! grin
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by muyete(m): 2:51pm On Nov 24, 2011
Dead island!!!!
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2011
muyete:

Can somebody help me out with this. I often get confused about regarding english language as either our native language in Nigeria or an official language. This very position is very difficult to determine even in the international relations.

I know there are great minds in the house so I want your contributions.

English is not a native language of Nigeria, it is the official language of Nigeria. Native languages of Nigeria are like Hausa/fulani, Yoruba. Igbo, edo and etc. English can not be a native language of Nigeria because it is was never a native language of the tribes of Nigeria in their first place, it was the native language of the British, who were the ones who colonized England Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by coogar: 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2011
anonymous6:

English is not a native language of Nigeria, it is the official language of Nigeria. Native languages of Nigeria are like Hausa/fulani, Yoruba. Igbo, edo and etc. English can not be a native language of Nigeria because it is was never a native language of the tribes of Nigeria in their first place, it was the native language of the British, who were the ones who colonized England.

thanx for making me laugh! cheesy
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2011
coogar:

thanx for making me laugh! cheesy

that was a mistake, I meant Nigeria
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by coogar: 8:40pm On Nov 24, 2011
anonymous6:

that was a mistake, I meant Nigeria

of course, i know.
i just like the way it was worded!
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by anonymous6(f): 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2011
coogar:

of course, i know.
i just like the way it was worded!

oh ok
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Araboy(m): 4:16pm On Nov 25, 2011
I feel sorry for African countries since  none of them has a national language as an official language it either French or English

I will be offended if my President addresses my compatriotes in our independence Day in French or English like in Nigeria or

Senegal it is really pathetic and disrespectful

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Difference Between Customary Law Marriage And Statutory Marriage. / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.