Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? (3095 Views)

'Pray For Buhari Not To Die In Power' - Did TB Joshua Really Say That? / Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by outcst: 8:59pm On Jun 08, 2013
Hallo guys,

Yes I know this is rather a silly question and I don't mind getting a silly answer in return; but seriously, when we say that God is omnipotent, what exactly do we mean?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 1:21am On Jun 09, 2013
It is not a silly question. It simply means: all power is derived from God.

Yes! all power, whether military, political, science & academics, spiritual, religious, astrology/numerology, etc. Even all lies are derived from God cool

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by outcst: 6:22am On Jun 09, 2013
okeyxyz: It is not a silly question. It simply means: all power is derived from God.

Yes! all power, whether military, political, science & academics, spiritual, religious, astrology/numerology, etc. Even all lies are derived from God cool

This is a great answer I must say! I asked this question basically because of a question Plaetton asked: "Can God commit suicide?"...

From your explanation above, I gather that the ability man has to commit suicide is from God, in other words, the power man has to kill himself is derived from God. Now can we extend this to say that God has the ability to self destruct?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 7:09am On Jun 09, 2013
outc@st:

This is a great answer I must say! I asked this question basically because of a question Plaetton asked: "Can God commit suicide?"...

From your explanation above, I gather that the ability man has to commit suicide is from God, in other words, the power man has to kill himself is derived from God. Now can we extend this to say that God has the ability to self destruct?

God does not have the ability to self destruct because he is the ultimate power from which other lesser powers are derived. It takes a greater power to destroy/subdue a lesser one. All powers in the universe aspires to be like God, thus they are lesser and a derivation of God. So suicide can be godly only in relative terms but god himself is not relative but ultimate and absolute. Suicide is relative power(and Godly) in the sense that it can take away your pains(power over your pains).
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by outcst: 7:15am On Jun 09, 2013
okeyxyz:

God does not have the ability to self destruct because he is the ultimate power from which other lesser powers are derived. It takes a greater power to destroy/subdue a lesser one. All powers in the universe aspires to be like God, thus they are lesser and a derivation of God. So suicide can be godly only in relative terms but god himself is not relative but ultimate and absolute. Suicide is relative power(and Godly) in the sense that it can take away your pains(power over your pains).

Hmmm...will I be correct to say that for you omnipotent is the ability of God to 'subdue' other 'powers' but himself?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 7:19am On Jun 09, 2013
^^^ What I'm trying to say is this: Whenever you try to control or change a situation, then you are playing god. The whole concept of god does not make sense if there is no power to validate it/him. So all power is Godly(ie: derivative or demonstration of God).
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by kgbd(m): 7:20am On Jun 09, 2013
outc@st:

well i wish outc@st could explain what he meant by "all lies are derived from God" because the Devil is the father of all lies" John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. And to answer your Q? @okeyxyz God is not a murderer nor does he in one way or the other make people commit suicide. Yes God is omnipotent but 2 Timothy 1:7 says For the Spirit which God has given us is not a spirit of cowardice, but one of power and of love and of sound judgement (other version says self-control, wise discretion) so a person that commit suicide as actually listened to the lies of the Devil, making it affect is will making or discretion. Lets not confuse things here pls.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 09, 2013
okeyxyz: It is not a silly question. It simply means: all power is derived from God.

God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Numbers 23:19
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 09, 2013
okeyxyz: ^^^ What I'm trying to say is this: Whenever you try to control or change a situation, then you are playing god. The whole concept of god does not make sense if there is no power to validate it/him. So all power is Godly(or a derivative of God).

Even the power of Pharoah used to enslave the Jews.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 7:29am On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Numbers 23:19

grin grin Every lie needs truth to inspire or validate it. In other words: every lie wants to be like the truth and be treated as the truth. the statement "God cannot lie..." simply means that god transcends the capabilities(powers) of man, who is trying to be like god(power) with his laws and wisdoms, but ultimately falls short and becomes a lie even though it has some demonstration of power.

So, even lies have power...

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 09, 2013

How do you go from 'all powers' are derived from God to 'all lies' are derived from God?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 7:32am On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03:
Even the power of Pharoah used to enslave the Jews.

GBAM!!!!
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by okeyxyz(m): 7:34am On Jun 09, 2013
musKeeto:

How do you go from 'all powers' are derived from God to 'all lies' are derived from God?

Because lies have powers too. Lies are trying to be like the truth(the true power).
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 09, 2013
Okeyzksz....You are sounding insane.

Even your username is insane, I cant spell it without looking at your username 3 times while typing.

okyeyskz
okeyksz

I want peeps to try it....type this guyz usernae without looking at the spelling more than once (one quick glance)
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 09, 2013
LOL.. i think okey's an abbreviation of Okechukwu.. then xyz...

not difficult at all..

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 09, 2013
musKeeto: LOL.. i think okey's an abbreviation of Okechukwu.. then xyz...

not difficult at all..

Igbo things..... cheesy
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:34am On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

Igbo things..... cheesy

You got a problem?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by ijawkid(m): 10:09am On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03: Okeyzksz....You are sounding insane.

Even your username is insane, I cant spell it without looking at your username 3 times while typing.

okyeyskz
okeyksz

I want peeps to try it....type this guyz usernae without looking at the spelling more than once (one quick glance)

gringrin.......
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by ijawkid(m): 10:10am On Jun 09, 2013
musKeeto: LOL.. i think okey's an abbreviation of Okechukwu.. then xyz...

not difficult at all..

Xyz reminds of a mortal combat combo configuration.......grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 09, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

You got a problem?

lol....you sef be igbo? grin grin

I dont have any problems.....I am not a tribalist- dats why you never see me on the politics section
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by UyiIredia(m): 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2013
I used to think it meant God can do anything. I then concluded God can't do bad things and at least couldn't say the largest number (because there'll always be a numbef larger than it) so He couldn't be omnipotent, just very powerful.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by UyiIredia(m): 5:50pm On Jun 09, 2013
outc@st:

Interesting question. Because I myself thought if God couldn't kill Himself, as Christians say, He couldn't do all things, as Christians also say. One way of solving this quandary is by saying death is illusory, a mere passage from one life to the next. Inanimate matter don't die, they simply exist in another form (e.g fuel becomes heat which runs cars). It could be this applies to God. One can't say He dies, the way one won't say a glass dies if it breaks, or water dies if it evaporates.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Interesting question. Because I myself thought if God couldn't kill Himself, as Christians say, He couldn't do all things, as Christians also say. One way of solving this quandary is by saying death is illusory, a mere passage from one life to the next. Inanimate matter don't die, they simply exist in another form (e.g fuel becomes heat which runs cars). It could be this applies to God. One can't say He dies, the way one won't say a glass dies if it breaks, or water dies if it evaporates.

God is inanimate? I hope you know that means that your god is dead
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by UyiIredia(m): 6:46pm On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

I didn't say or imply that God is inanimate.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by outcst: 7:29pm On Jun 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

But the question is: Can't God kill himself if he wants to?
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 09, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol grin

come on Uyi!! grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:12am On Jun 10, 2013
god is whatever you want it to be. he is very ... pliable.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Image123(m): 10:05pm On Jun 10, 2013
omnipotent, big grammar, big God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by Image123(m): 10:42pm On Jun 10, 2013
James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by bizmahn: 9:53pm On Jun 16, 2013
I have noticed that this "okeyxyz" of a person carries a quality of "strange fire" that even makes atheists to marvel.The same way satan marvels when men step beyond the bounds that satan himself will never dare to go to challenge God & boldly speak great swelling words to ridicle Him.
Re: What Does It Mean To Say That God Is Omnipotent? by dorox(m): 10:05pm On Jun 16, 2013
It means that God's will is subject to no one. Asking if God can self destruct is redundant, it cannot be part of his will.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Taribo West & Co Honors Daddy Adeboye / Atheist Logic / Atheism Is The Mother Of Satanism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.