Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,600 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested (12232 Views)

10 Killed, 5 Injured As 2 Suicide Bombers Hit Kano / 3 Killed, 5 Burnt In Ibadan Tanker Fire / Abuja Rally Tragedy: 1 Dies, 5 Injured In Lagos PDP Women Car Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by xynerise: 8:17am On Jun 09, 2013
10 killed, 5 injured, 4 arrested in MASSOB demonstration •As group shuts Onitsha Bridge

OVER 10 persons were feared dead on Saturday as members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the State of Biafra (MASSOB) made good their threat to demonstrate in commemoration of 8 June in Onitsha, the Anambra State capital, a development that led to a clash with security agencies.

Apart from the persons feared dead, five others were reportedly injured, while four were arrested by security agents, consisting of policemen, men of the Nigerian Army, State Security Service (SSS)
and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

The fracas between the members of MASSOB and security agents also sent business in the commercial city into comatose.

The group reportedly shut down the Asaba end of the Niger bridge to prevent traffic from entering the city and enforce its sit-at-home order.

At least, one luxury bus coming from Lagos was vandalised with all the occupants compelled to disembark.
When Sunday Tribune visited parts of the city where the demonstration was carried out, at a spot, bodies of three suspected
members MASSOB were found lying in pools of their blood.

Reports had it that they were trying to escape a troop of soldiers in two patrol vans at Patrick Okolo junction, Modebe Avenue in Onitsha town, when they got involved in an accident that claimed their lives.

Also, some buses and a tanker were seen burning on Owerri and Nkpor roads.
When Sunday Tribune contacted the Information Minister of MASSOB, Comrade Uchenna Mmadu, on the telephone, he
said; “we view the thousands of Army, police, SSS and civil defence personnel patrolling the streets, roads and villages of Biafraland as an act of cowardice and sign of jitters over MASSOB’s activities, influence and acceptance in Igboland.”

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the state police command, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka, who commented on the incident, said “the hoodlums” went into a nearby mechanic workshop, pushed out a
vehicle which was undergoing repairs and set it ablaze, adding that some arrests were equally made.

The commander of 302 Artillery Regiment of the Nigerian Army, Onitsha, Colonel T. A. Gagariga, told journalists by telephone that he was also not aware that soldiers shot and killed MASSOB members, adding that he was aware that some MASSOB members, who were in their vehicles, had a fatal accident at Modebe Avenue junction by Iweka Road, a development that led to immediate death of two of them, while others sustained serious injuries.

However, the image maker of Anambra State traders, Dede Uzor A. Uzor, condemned the inability of the police and other security agencies to prevent MASSOB’s action despite the long notice
earlier given by the group, saying the failure of the security agents to protect lives and property led to the invasion of some markets in the state, especially the Old Nkpor Motor Spare Parts market,
where goods worth over N15 million were destroyed by hoodlums suspected to be MASSOB members who allegedly came
into the market with about 15 motorcycles to enforce the sit-at-home order.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/13923-10-killed,-5-injured,-4-arrested-in-massob-demonstration-•as-group-shuts-onitsha-bridge%20•8-perish-in-ogun-auto-crash.html
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by bowee4u: 8:31am On Jun 09, 2013
MASSOB is just an association of jobless igbo youth, the security agencies should better strive hard to contain their activities before we have another Boko haram in the SE.

9 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Raymonbell(m): 8:41am On Jun 09, 2013
Another headache for the federal republic of Nigeria
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by kkkp: 8:46am On Jun 09, 2013
I dnt wnt to say sometin nw n massob keyboard soldiers wil say anoda tin lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Sealeddeal(m): 9:06am On Jun 09, 2013
i do not see the reason why nigerian military will keep hunting for MASSOB members.

9 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by gbanikiti(m): 9:44am On Jun 09, 2013
Sealeddeal: i do not see the reason why nigerian military will keep hunting for MASSOB members.
absolutely no reason for them to do that!
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Naijacitizen(m): 10:00am On Jun 09, 2013
Another Boko Haram is resurfacing. SmhAnother Boko Haram is resurfacing. SmhAnother Boko Haram is resurfacing. Smh
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Naijacitizen(m): 10:01am On Jun 09, 2013
Sealeddeal: i do not see the reason why nigerian military will keep hunting for MASSOB members.

Good evening. Mr. Man
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 09, 2013
If this gets ugly, I might be schooling in a state of emergency cry cry
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by eduson33(m): 11:05am On Jun 09, 2013
nawa oo..
if them see boko H or robbers now,them go tear race.
igbos too dey endure i swearr!

2 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by AbuMikey(m): 11:12am On Jun 09, 2013
If una want war make una go fight jor!!!.....I don tire for all these JTF,MASSOB,Boko Haram et al Wahala for Frontpage!!!
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Kingslaw(m): 11:13am On Jun 09, 2013
Shooting and killing the armless once is against the law of combat.

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by legendsilver(m): 11:16am On Jun 09, 2013
I am gradually foreseeing a divided Nigeria, na wa o!!!!!!!!!!! lipsrsealed
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by gbadexy(m): 11:18am On Jun 09, 2013
I said it on a thread on the update of sit at home in the east that the reason for the seemingly compliance is due to fear of not having their ware raided by miscreants and not to get caught in the crossfire with security forces.
That's the reason for the success of most sit at homes.
The ordinary struggling man would rather go about his business if assured of adequate security.

4 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Okijajuju: 11:19am On Jun 09, 2013
And some reeetards said the protest was peaceful and nobody was forced to comply. I guess the Nigerian security forces vandalised the luxurious bus and set the tanker ablaze..

We never serious yet for this country. .

2 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by pappythinko(m): 11:19am On Jun 09, 2013
I have failed to understand what these MASSOB people are really driving at.... Itx beyond me. I rest my thumb as I await a good response.. smh rigorously!!!!!!
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by alphaconde(m): 11:22am On Jun 09, 2013
My simple question is, why does insurgents start by distabilizing their own communities and killing their own people? Doesn't that sound foolish.

7 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 09, 2013
No Comment....
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by emalek: 11:25am On Jun 09, 2013
na by force to sit down 4 houx' massob na so una govt wan b?

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by miqos02(m): 11:27am On Jun 09, 2013
I will take this massive serious when their politicians stop participating in Nigerian elections and when their governors stop collecting allocations from abuja

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by kgbd(m): 11:28am On Jun 09, 2013
Don't these guys learn at all, risking thier lives in the name of an uncordinated protest when thier so called elders are at the same hour dining with those people whose attention they seek. smh

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by DJDOLA(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2013
EVERY TRIBES AS IS OWN TOUT
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 09, 2013
bowee4u: MASSOB is just an association of jobless igbo youth, the security agencies should better strive hard to contain their activities before we have another Boko haram in the SE.
Nah!..fear not cos they are just Terrorist-wanna be..They cant even hurt a mosquito..Bunch of coward trying so hard to get noticed.

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by kalunomics(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2013
Okija juju: And some reeetards said the protest was peaceful and nobody was forced to comply. I guess the Nigerian security forces vandalised the luxurious bus and set the tanker ablaze..

We never serious yet for this country. .
Miscreants will always seize any of such opportunity to perpetrate evil and everybody will label it MASSOB. That is why students can never stage any peaceful protest.
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by naijaobi(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2013
alpha conde: My simple question is, why does insurgents start by distabilizing their own communities and killing their own people? Doesn't that sound foolish.
charity begins at home.. grin
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by eduson33(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2013
hevery tribe really as is own tout..but these men may not be tout.
hevery body must not be hay tout..
DJDOLA: EVERY TRIBES AS IS OWN TOUT

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Fesisko(m): 11:32am On Jun 09, 2013
you re a big fool! vandalising machanic shop and setting vehicles ablaze is ok by you? if you want to stage a protest, you re free to go ahead. bt why compelling other innocent citizens to stay indoor and preventing travelers to enter or pass through the state? peaceful protest indeed!

3 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Fesisko(m): 11:32am On Jun 09, 2013
you re a big fo-ol! vandalising machanic shop and setting vehicles ablaze is ok by you? if you want to stage a protest, you re free to go ahead. bt why compelling other innocent citizens to stay indoor and preventing travelers to enter or pass through the state? peaceful protest indeed!

1 Like

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Moshood91(m): 11:35am On Jun 09, 2013
Is MASSOB a violent group?
No.
Then, why attack them?
Cowardice

3 Likes

Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Odinaka00(m): 11:37am On Jun 09, 2013
Nnaa e, ndi massob a n'emechu mmadu iru o, I swear
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by point5: 11:40am On Jun 09, 2013
Y is dat som pipo find it dficult 2 undastnd we cannt mek peace wt violenc..is dis hw MASSOB r goin 2 actualiz d state?
Re: MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 09, 2013
with the power vested on me i hereby declare this thread close. no more comments.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smart Adeyemi Donate 15 Suvs, N600m Hospital Equipments To Constituents / 'New PDP' Secretariat In Rivers Sealed-up By Police / Thugs Hijack Electoral Materials In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.