Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,539 members, 7,819,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

One Billion People Have Internet Access. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / One Billion People Have Internet Access. (1311 Views)

60 Million Nigerians To Have Internet Access By 2013 / Microsoft Office: 1 Billion People Worldwide Use It / How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Billion People Have Internet Access. by Orikinla(m): 7:21pm On May 18, 2006
WASHINGTON (AFP) - More than one billion people in the world have access to the Internet, with a quarter of them with broadband, or high-speed connections, according to a survey.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060518/tc_afp/afplifestyleitinternet_060518163500

About 250 million households had broadband connections.

845 million use the Internet regularly.

The United States is still number one in terms of numbers of Internet users with 175 million, and broadband households, 43.7 million.

In terms of regions, however, Asia-Pacific has the largest number (315 million) and is the largest broadband center containing nearly 40 percent of the world's broadband households.

Latin America was the fastest growing broadband region worldwide, achieving 70 percent subscriber growth, the survey found. But it had just 70 million people online.

Europe had 233 million people online and 55.2 million broadband households. China had 111 million users and 34.1 million households with fast connections.

The report was based on a number of industry surveys and data from the International Telecommunication Union and Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.

But where is Africa?

Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by my2cents(m): 8:03pm On May 18, 2006
Orikinla,

As in all things from Africa that don't involve hunger, war or corruption, I am sure the stats exist but aren't being published. I mean, worse-case, they should at least have stats for their buddy nation, south africa grin

Anyway, if you thought that stat is amazing, try this: In a recent issue of Entrepreneur magazine I read, 12 billion IMs are sent worldwide daily shocked
Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by hotangel2(f): 8:43pm On May 18, 2006
haha, where's africa?

Africa is in the "help the poor kids in africa" magazine. That's where u see africa.

Anyways nice stats. Im not surprised with the IM one.
Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by Bossman(m): 10:54pm On May 18, 2006
As a % of the total population of Africa, the number of users in Africa will be very small (not even worth mentioning). There are lots of problems that still need to be addresses in these developing nations. Especially that we are talking about broadband internet connection, not just internet connection. And even that,

We are getting there little by little, but it will take some time. The infrastructure needs to be in place first. In the US and most developing nations more than 50% of households with a PC have more than 1, with most of them using broadband and some form of home networking via a router. So many things need to be in place for this to happen, but eventually it will.

For example, as I am typing this, I am on the train on my way home, using my laptop connected to my phone. i.e Thethering using my phone as a modem. It's a common scene on the train. Again, it's all about the availability of infrastructure in developed VS developing nations.
Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by Orikinla(m): 1:42pm On May 19, 2006
Bossman,
Surfing and posting on your laptop on the train.
I am jealous.
Such luxury is alien in Nigeria.

The sooner we get there the better. Because, I am not getting younger oh!

I am looking at the figures from the economics of the clicks of the mouse.

ISPs are richer with every click online.
Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by kuye(m): 7:32pm On May 20, 2006
Pls, how can i connect sagem my x-7 to my PC for internet access, I'm using vmobile gprs
Re: One Billion People Have Internet Access. by kuye(m): 7:38pm On May 20, 2006
Pls, how can i connect sagem my x-7 to my PC for internet access, I'm using vmobile gprs

(1) (Reply)

Nokia Pc Suite / Best Online Payment Company In Nigeria / Please Help: Futronic Fs80 Jamb Fingerprint Scanner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.