Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:21 PM

An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. (1175 Views)

My Son &my Daughter.......short Story / A Letter To My Son's Teacher / A Letter To My Wife For My Son (1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 5:46am On Jun 11, 2013
A few months ago I posted a little story about my child and my grand mum. I wrote it as a way of dealing with some frustrations and didnt expect it to get as much attention as it did. I was surprised by the responses of nairalanders when it ended up making front page.

A lot of people were touched by his story and Ive been thinking about it lately and wanted to write a brief update.

At the time I wrote that, my grand mum was quite ill and hospitalised with cancer. She was going through chemo and from what the doctors said, she didn't have long to live at all. We were not expecting to take her home from the hospital. If Ive learned anything from my son though, Ive learned that doctors are often wrong and miracles happen everyday.

Its ironic how the thing that was supposed to be saving my grandmum (chemo) was the thing that was killing her. Once she was stable enough to decide if she wanted to continue chemo or try something else, she went with something else. She chose to go through radiation instead and prayed it worked. During this time I could not take my son around her. Because of all of the scans, exams, and hospitalizations he has had he is on radiation risk. He gets 10x more radiation in one year that what most people get in their entire life. So, we avoid it as much as we can for his safety.

During this time, she improved greatly. As of her most recent scan, the cancer is inactive and they cant even see it in one of the spots where it was most agressive. My grandmother has been feeling great, and even took a vacation with one of her classmates last week. Im amazed at the power of prayer. I thank God that she is doing well and enjoying life as much as she can.

As for my son, things are going fabulously well for him too.

Somebody posted this comment on the other thread

"because u shared this testimony in faith,dat little cute son of yours shall have a remarkable change before the year runs out"

In January he fell ill with what is a common cold to us (RSV). Within hours he went from smiling and playing to satting low and needing oxygen, increased respiratory treatments, and worst of all, ventilation.

Thankfully, he overcame it fairly well on his own and within a week was weaned back off of the vent. Fast forward to now, and the time between then has mostly been uneventful. This past month a lot of tough decisions have been made, but they are all for the best.

Of most significance, he received a cap for his trach (the tube in his neck). This cap forces him to breathe through his nose and mouth instead of through his trach. If he can maintain breathing like this, and do well with an overnight sleep study, then he will likely get the trach removed before the end of the year is out. This is HUGE. It will allow him to have a more normal life and his health will improve.

Secondly, it was decided that his ventilator will no longer be needed in the home. I admit, this decision scares me the most. If he falls ill, things often happen very quickly. The nearest hospital is about 10 minutes away, but they are not equipped to take care of him, and most of the staff isnt even trained with patients like him. If he needed to be ventilated I would have to drive him over an hour away and when a child is having trouble breathing that is a long way! If he happens to get ill and needs to use the ventilator then it will be replaced in the home. Perhaps the scariest part about this is that he has not had an illness where the vent was not needed undecided

Finally, this may seem like a step in the wrong direction, but it is actually something I have fought for a while. My son is small. He is now 8 years old, but looks about half his age. He doesnt gain weight well despite being fed massive amounts of calories. (See him and his sister who is 3 years younger below) His effort just goes to breathing instead. He is going to be placed on night time feeds to help him gain weight. Him gaining weight is one step towards getting him even more healthier. With the cap on the trach, he is having to work harder to breathe, so this comes at a great time for him.

Overall, he is doing incredibly well and I continue to praise God for His hand in working with my son. He has taught me so much and I am blessed to be his mother. It has been one hell of a roller coaster of emotions to make it this far, and we have been scarred and tore apart along the way, but today we are stronger than ever before. Though small, my son is a mighty warrior.

8 Likes

Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Swaggot00(m): 8:39am On Jun 11, 2013
hmm. Very touching and very very emotional, had to go over the previous thread, u guys went through alot dis few years. pray the lord grant ur boy full recovery and total healing.i wont advice you to let go of the vent with or without d doctors approval, according to the lil image i pictured from your post on here the ventilator is very important,expecially with the fact dat he has not had an illness where the vent was not needed'. Thank God 4 ur grandma,I know all is going to be well soon.
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 11, 2013
What a touching story. I pray that your son and grandma shall be totally healed
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Adamskuty(m): 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
Hmm! Very touching and sad,i almost cried while reading it sad,they will be completly healed by the special grace of God..

I wanna hear a loud amen wink
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
Thank you guys.

Swaggot the not having a vent part scares me but we will remain having oxygen and manual ambu bags so its ok.
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 16, 2013
So touching, sometimes healthy people whine over trivialities and forget to thank God for health.

I pray the young man gets well, may this challenge serve as a preparation for some great thing he will do in the future.

Anytime he is ready health wise,for a little vacation in Africa, someone is ready to make it worth his while.

Peace
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Deiok(m): 4:05pm On Jun 16, 2013
Wow, the way you relate and have fun in nairaland nobody will ever think your mum and son are passing through such things, may the lord touch them with his healing hands, and they shall be strong in Jesus name.
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2013
@val He is indeed destined for greatness. He has been an inspiration to so many and Im glad that he can touch peoples lives in a positive way.

@deiok Ive seen so many people in similar situations who are miserable. I can't be that kind of person . I can't pity myself or the situation and being negative wont do anything to help it. I choose to find the happiness and make something positive out of it.

1 Like

Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by LarrySun(m): 10:13am On Jun 18, 2013
My Heart Is Heavy With Emotion. May God In His Infinite Mercy Give You All The Cause To Always Smile. I See Your Son Making A Great Impact On The World. Bless You And Your Family.
Re: An Update On My Grand Mum And My Son.. by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 15, 2013
So emotional. sad sad sad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How We Missed That Flight... / Weekend Gist-diary Of A 30yr Old Single Lady Episode 1. / New Dawn (Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.