Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,483 members, 7,958,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:43 PM

Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? (1410 Views)

Synagogue: Fashola Orders Church Staff Out / Jim Iyke Delivered In Synagogue Church Of All Nations / Pastor T. B. Joshua: The Man in the Synagogue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by BCELLS(m): 8:24am On Jun 11, 2013
Nowadays,we have prophetess and pastor mrs high and low standing on the altar,pulpit preaching the gospel....I want to know if it is biblically ideal for them to indulge in such as contrary to what paul recorded in 1timothy 2:11-12..He laid emphases on why a woman should not stand on any form of podium to teach or have authority over men.What brings about women teaching in the synagogue?
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by timothycel(m): 5:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
Because christians generally dont follow Gods Law. Only when it is convenient or fits in with their lifestyle.
it is very clear, woman shouldn't be teaching in the temple. In fact they should be in complete silence when they are in the temple 1 Corinthians 14:34 & 35. To disregard this, is to disregard Gods Law.
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
IF SHE TEACHES SHE IS UNCOVERING HER HEAD AND COVERING THE MENS HEAD AND IF SHE THINKS THAT IS APPROPRIATE AND IT IS CUTE FOR A WOMAN TO BE SHAVED GORIMAPA LIKE A MAN THEN SHE NEEDS TO SHAVE HER HEAD LIKE A MAN BUT IF IT IS A DISGRACE FOR A WOMAN TO HAVE GORIMAPA LIKE A MAN THEN SHE SHOULD HAVE LONG HAIR LIKE A WOMAN AND BE A WOMAN grin grin
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by MostHigh: 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
obadiah777: IF SHE TEACHES SHE IS UNCOVERING HER HEAD AND COVERING THE MENS HEAD AND IF SHE THINKS THAT IS APPROPRIATE AND IT IS CUTE FOR A WOMAN TO BE SHAVED GORIMAPA LIKE A MAN THEN SHE NEEDS TO SHAVE HER HEAD LIKE A MAN BUT IF IT IS A DISGRACE FOR A WOMAN TO HAVE GORIMAPA LIKE A MAN THEN SHE SHOULD HAVE LONG HAIR LIKE A WOMAN AND BE A WOMAN grin grin

Says the Lord God.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by outcst: 6:38pm On Jun 11, 2013
B_CELLS: Nowadays,we have prophetess and pastor mrs high and low standing on the altar,pulpit preaching the gospel....I want to know if it is biblically ideal for them to indulge in such as contrary to what paul recorded in 1timothy 2:11-12..He laid emphases on why a woman should not stand on any form of podium to teach or have authority over men.What brings about women teaching in the synagogue?

Hi Cel,

I don't believe that passage of sacred scriptures is trying to tell us that it is wrong for women to teach in churches or have authority over men. The message could hardly pass as a divine law but some 'personal sentiments' of Paul which he believes is needed for that church at the time.

I believe we should learn to draw the line between divine instructions and instructions put up by the apostles which they believe would help build up the body of Christ at the time.

It is no news that todays world is very different from the world Paul and the other apostles lived in. The instruction Paul gave for that 'church' was relevant to them in their time but that instruction has far outlived its usefulness.

You have ladies holding positions of authority in every facet of life today and really, I believe it is a welcome development and something that is surely beneficial to the body of Christ today.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by timothycel(m): 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
outc@st:

Hi Cel,

I don't believe that passage of sacred scriptures is trying to tell us that it is wrong for women to teach in churches or have authority over men. The message could hardly pass as a divine law but some 'personal sentiments' of Paul which he believes is needed for that church at the time.

I believe we should learn to draw the line between divine instructions and instructions put up by the apostles which they believe would help build up the body of Christ at the time.

It is no news that todays world is very different from the world Paul and the other apostles lived in. The instruction Paul gave for that 'church' was relevant to them in their time but that instruction has far outlived its usefulness.

You have ladies holding positions of authority in every facet of life today and really, I believe it is a welcome development and something that is surely beneficial to the body of Christ today.

Gods law is unchanging. Only certain people are allowed to change the law and those changes are in accordance with Gods will. Moses was the head of the church of the Jews under Old Covenant and all those that did not obey the Law of "Moses" got into trouble with God. "Moses" Law was in fact not his own, it was given him by God, Paul is the equivalent of Moses to the Gentiles under the New Covenant as Peter is the Head of the Congregation of the Jews under the New Covenant. Jesus kept the law of Moses, even though it was given under different circumtances.

It is a sin to add to the bible and take away from it. You cant change the law into what you want it to be, in 50 years when is common for father to marry his daughter will that be ok? Or for man to lie with beast?

God is not human that he should think like us, this mentality of assuming God will be ok with this and that because you feel like this or that.

How many irrelevant laws are there in your country? Im sure many that were made long ago. But until they are abolished, you can and will be punished for breaking them. You can abolish your local law, but easily want to abolish Gods Law? Not a good idea.

You say some laws outlive their usefulness. How would we come to that conclusion? We would first have to know its purpose to determine its usefulness. Even if a law was given verbatim with seemingly no human purpose it is still a law and such we must observe it. Its not about how we think or feel. Its about what Gods wants. Saul made the same mistake of assuming in 1 Samuel 15. He thought would like sacrifices etc but Samuel goes on to tell him obedience is what God wants.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by outcst: 5:01am On Jun 12, 2013
timothycel:

Gods law is unchanging. Only certain people are allowed to change the law and those changes are in accordance with Gods will. Moses was the head of the church of the Jews under Old Covenant and all those that did not obey the Law of "Moses" got into trouble with God. "Moses" Law was in fact not his own, it was given him by God, Paul is the equivalent of Moses to the Gentiles under the New Covenant as Peter is the Head of the Congregation of the Jews under the New Covenant. Jesus kept the law of Moses, even though it was given under different circumtances.

It is a sin to add to the bible and take away from it. You cant change the law into what you want it to be, in 50 years when is common for father to marry his daughter will that be ok? Or for man to lie with beast?

God is not human that he should think like us, this mentality of assuming God will be ok with this and that because you feel like this or that.

How many irrelevant laws are there in your country? Im sure many that were made long ago. But until they are abolished, you can and will be punished for breaking them. You can abolish your local law, but easily want to abolish Gods Law? Not a good idea.

You say some laws outlive their usefulness. How would we come to that conclusion? We would first have to know its purpose to determine its usefulness. Even if a law was given verbatim with seemingly no human purpose it is still a law and such we must observe it. Its not about how we think or feel. Its about what Gods wants. Saul made the same mistake of assuming in 1 Samuel 15. He thought would like sacrifices etc but Samuel goes on to tell him obedience is what God wants.

I did not say God's law can change. Get your looking glass and read again.
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by timothycel(m): 3:07am On Jun 13, 2013
outc@st:

Hi Cel,

outc@st:

1 Corinthians 14:34&35 "34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church"

Pay attention to where it says "as the law says". Your thoughts and opinions are contrary to the law.

" The message could hardly pass as a divine law but some 'personal sentiments' of Paul which he believes is needed for that church at the time."

If Pauls words dont pass as Divine instruction (Him being the Apostle to the Gentiles, tasked with preaching the Gospel through the Holy Spirit), why do you think you views should hold? Who is greater? You or Paul?

Paul didnt teach what he just felt was right, 1 Galatians 1:11&12 "11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ." Paul received instruction directly from God just like Moses and Peter.

Pauls sentiments were not his own. Your sentiments on the other hand are just that and can be disregarded and should be disregarded.
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by outcst: 5:47am On Jun 13, 2013
timothycel:

1 Corinthians 14:34&35 "34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church"

Pay attention to where it says "as the law says". Your thoughts and opinions are contrary to the law.

" The message could hardly pass as a divine law but some 'personal sentiments' of Paul which he believes is needed for that church at the time."

If Pauls words dont pass as Divine instruction (Him being the Apostle to the Gentiles, tasked with preaching the Gospel through the Holy Spirit), why do you think you views should hold? Who is greater? You or Paul?

Paul didnt teach what he just felt was right, 1 Galatians 1:11&12 "11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ." Paul received instruction directly from God just like Moses and Peter.

Pauls sentiments were not his own. Your sentiments on the other hand are just that and can be disregarded and should be disregarded.

Well, you are free to do whatever you want to...it's your right. But do note that not every instruction Paul gives can be categorized as divine law. Like I said before, Paul gave those laws because he felt they were good for the church at the time.

The question you should ask yourself is what law was Paul talking about? Divine law? Or a personal law?

The phrase "But I..." as used in the passage of Sacred scriptures is a pointer to which of the laws he was refering to:

1 Timothy 2:12
King James Version (KJV)

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Paul did not mince words when he made us understand that not every instruction he gives is to be considered as divinely inspired when he said:

1 Corinthians 7:25
King James Version (KJV)

25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

It is very clear from the above that there are some instructions given by Paul which are his own thoughts and being his thoughts on the matter are subject to change. It is key that we understand which laws are directly from God and which are put up for the good of the church but for which no instruction was gotten from God.

Anyways, like I said before, you have a right to reject whatever I say but do note this, do not go about Lording it over every woman you see in the streets because it is said that a woman should not have authority over a man, otherwise you might just find yourself in jail or out of a job.
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by wazobiaforu(m): 8:46am On Jun 13, 2013
outc@st:

What you are saying is that Paul's law can change with changes in time , my people will never accept any verse that speak against them, tell me any verse where you will see God handwritting ,is it not people that wrote the whole Bibles with the believe that they were inspired by God .

Let kuku nulify the whole Bible because it was written thousands years ago when there is no technology .... Abi you still deyy use black and white television ni ?

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by timothycel(m): 12:54am On Jun 14, 2013
outc@st:

Well, you are free to do whatever you want to...it's your right. But do note that not every instruction Paul gives can be categorized as divine law. Like I said before, Paul gave those laws because he felt they were good for the church at the time.

The question you should ask yourself is what law was Paul talking about? Divine law? Or a personal law?

The phrase "But I..." as used in the passage of Sacred scriptures is a pointer to which of the laws he was refering to:

1 Timothy 2:12
King James Version (KJV)

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Paul did not mince words when he made us understand that not every instruction he gives is to be considered as divinely inspired when he said:

1 Corinthians 7:25
King James Version (KJV)

25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

It is very clear from the above that there are some instructions given by Paul which are his own thoughts and being his thoughts on the matter are subject to change. It is key that we understand which laws are directly from God and which are put up for the good of the church but for which no instruction was gotten from God.

Anyways, like I said before, you have a right to reject whatever I say but do note this, do not go about Lording it over every woman you see in the streets because it is said that a woman should not have authority over a man, otherwise you might just find yourself in jail or out of a job.

You conveniently skip over 1 Corinthians 14:34&35 "34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church"

The Law was as follows for marriage:

Genesis 1:28 "28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”"

Genesis 2:24 "24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh."

Matthew 19:4-6 "4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”"

Matthew 19:10-12 "10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”"

The prevailing Law from Genesis also confirmed bu Jesus is that it is Lawful for man to be with wife and vice versa. Fornication is a sin to be avoided (All sin should be avoided, but some are especially bad). Jesus says in response to the question of not marrying as if you can handle it it okay. This is not the law, but a concession.

1 Corinthians 7:6-9 "6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

Again Paul emphasises that remaining a virgin is not the law but a concession because there was a crisis at hand. Many of the would be wives and husbands were about to be arrested and persecuted and their life expectancy wasnt too good. This was a MATTER of CHOICE, woman were never given the choice to preach or not to preach.

A concession to the law applies within the Law, not outside of it. Even though it may seem to you like Paul's own thoughts but it was actually God giving them a concession to the Law. Otherwise live or die, they would need to get married (Multiply, but for this to occur marriage must happen first) as the law prescribes.

There was a reason for this concession otherwise it would never have been made.

1 Corinthians 7:25-29 "25 Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26 Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this. 29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not"

Everything that Paul did and said was divinely inspired. He was lead by the Holy Spirit in all he said and did. For you to think that your thoughts surpass his thoughts and judgement is arrogant at best.

Let me give an example. When you die and go to heaven and are found to be unmarried and have no children and God looks at the very first Law man was given to see if you have fulfilled and it is found that you have not. You are now guilty, but those that have been given a concession wont be found guilty.

Similarly when you or anyone else dies and goes to heaven, you will be asked about preaching etc...(As well as many other Laws)... You will be found guilty of transgressing the law and punished accordingly if that is the case.

But they were Just Pauls' "thoughts" after all, but funny how they can save you from being punished.

Outside of the church Government Law is to be followed (Romans 13), so I have no problem with woman in authority. In fact I have only ever had a female boss.

Be careful not to distort Pauls words and add in things where you feel you should and subtract things where you feel you should.
Re: Is It Scriptural For A Woman To Teach In The Synagogue? by ninja4life(m): 9:33am On Jun 14, 2013
Thats christianity which has evolved to suit the modern day life thereby appealing to many people unlike islam where women are considered as lower beings dat can be beaten at will and are men's property.but in real sense both abrahamic religion originated from d middle east where dey have similar religion it should be noted dat even in d old and to some extent d new testament women are also considered as a lower being to man,d God of d abrahamic religion is so bias to women why? Or does he think like a man or does his claim of lovng everyone equally d same.dat goes to show dat ,ost practises in d bible and quran are the culture of d ancient middle east people which are now joined to religion.this can also be seen as how muslim men and women-with their hijab etc still dress even in countries like nigeria where dey are not their traditional attire.this dressings belong to mid east culture.there is a huge similarity in d old testament laws and d tough laws in d quran,both religions support slaver,both does not permit menstruating women in place of worship and other 5th century practises.christianity has evolved from those babaric laws in d bible such as killing an unrepantant child,adulters etc to suit d modern day life even though not completely.in my current church in christ apostolic church women are not allowed to share d grace,lady evangelist do not step on d altar for preaching and dey even hav a separate place where dey sit cos dey are women ministers,womwn are not allowed to wear trousers in my church citing deuteronomy in d bible as an example of women not wearing men clothing while dose pastors neglected other babric laws concerning men isnt dat hyprocrisy in d church.wat am saying is dat both christianity and islam hav d same origin wirh almost same cultural practisec which are being practised in tgier religion but christianity hav evolved to suit present life accomodtin women preaching on pupit and others since women hav almost same right as men now in d western world but in places where islam is practised women are still considered second class citizen as dey are still behaving like their forefathers in d stone age.lmao

(1) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Sex Scandal: Mass Exodus Hits COZA / Speaking In Tongues: 21st Century Gibberish? What The Bible Says - O.s. Emejulu. / Prophet Joshu Igila New Year Prophecy About Python Dance 2(egwu Eke 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.