Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,354 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? (2995 Views)

Jehovah's Witness Dies After Rejecting Blood Transfusion / does The Jehovah Witness Still Forbids Blood Transfusion In This Century? / Yahweh/jehovah/jesus Is Blood Thirsty Sword-mania, Click (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Ktwice(m): 9:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
I reed a story about a jehoval witness, the guy in question refuse to sigh a paper that will allow doctor to carryout blood transfution on his pregnant wife and the wife eventually died. My question is this as a good christian is it a sin to carryout blood transfusion.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2013
You are your own God and you are your own Devil. You design the path by which you trod. This question does not exist in the mind of intelligent people.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
No.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 9:04am On Jun 14, 2013
Am i missing something ?

To Noah:

1. "But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat." (Genesis 9:4).

To the nation of Israel:

2. "Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings." (Leviticus 7:26).

"For it is the life of "all" flesh; the
blood
of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel,
Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh:
for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof:
whosoever eateth Blood shall be cut off."
(Leviticus 17:14).

To christians again:

3. "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from "blood", and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:28-29).

Smh.

Who is then faithful to the word ?
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 9:06am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel: No.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by shdemidemi(m): 9:09am On Jun 14, 2013
1 Timothy 4

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 9:11am On Jun 14, 2013
shdemidemi: 1 Timothy 4

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 9:14am On Jun 14, 2013
shdemidemi: 1 Timothy 4

Is blood food ?
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by outcst: 9:23am On Jun 14, 2013
truthislight:

Is blood food ?

Even the passages you quoted were referring to the use of blood for food.

@OP: There is nothing wrong with blood transfusion if done correctly.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 9:28am On Jun 14, 2013
outc@st:

What is food, if not that which is absorbed for strength and vigour and life? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

If any Christian is truly bible-believing, then for that person, blood tranfusions should be HARAM.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by outcst: 9:48am On Jun 14, 2013
Deep Sight:

What is food, if not that which is absorbed for strength and vigour and life? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

If any Christian is truly bible-believing, then for that person, blood tranfusions should be HARAM.

Nah men...

The coming of Christ changed a whole lot for Christians. A number of laws that were applicable in the old were rendered obsolete with the coming of Christ. Like Christ said, he came to fulfil the law and not to abolish it.

He carried on himself the weight of the law for our sake and in the process established a new covenant which Christians are expected to live by.

Do note that when the Apostles gave specific instructions to the gentile converts not to eat food sacrificed to idols and the rest, they were not saying that those things were bad in themselves but on the contrary they were saying that the gentiles were not yet strong enough in the faith and this might lead them to doing things the wrong way.

Paul puts it succinctly:

1 Corinthians 8:1-2
King James Version (KJV)

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. 2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

Since you might not be interested in what sacred scriptures has to say about the matter, I will spare you further quotes but in the event that you are interested, the whole of that chapter explains why the gentiles were asked to abstain from certain food items.

I believe Demi has provided us with a reference from sacred scriptures which shows that Christians are not bound by the law of abstaining from eating some specific food items.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 9:53am On Jun 14, 2013
^^^ If indeed you wish to toe the escapist line of claiming that Christians are not subject to the law, then please remember that this injunction against blood was repeated in the New Testament - long after Christ's departure!

So you have no escape.

The verse against blood in the NT does not speak of blood sacrificed to idols. It says 'blood' pure and simple.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 14, 2013
Let's assume ( God forbid ) that my son needs a blood transfusion to survive , what do you think I will do ?

Of course it's obvious , I will generously permit the doctors to save his life by any means.

We have to be careful that our interpretation of the bible is not based on an organisations point of view but the bible.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by outcst: 10:08am On Jun 14, 2013
Deep Sight:
^^^ If indeed you wish to toe the escapist line of claiming that Christians are not subject to the law, then please remember that this injunction against blood was repeated in the New Testament - long after Christ's departure!

So you have no escape.

The verse against blood in the NT does not speak of blood sacrificed to idols. It says 'blood' pure and simple.

Your post above reveals one thing: You did not read my post!!!
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by UyiIredia(m): 10:20am On Jun 14, 2013
I work with Jehovah's Witnesses. They were the amongst the first to preach the gospel to my family. One of our tenant (who I'm on good terms with) is a Jehovah's Witness. Their don't on blood transfusion has led to needless deaths, even here in Nigeria, and is flawed for three reasons:

• it involves cherry-picking the OT (OT verses are used to justify it, yet OT verses that condemn eating cows or abstaining from women on period are glossed over). Even truthislight overlooks the part of Gen 9:4 where flesh is not to be eaten.
• it overlooks the point that Jesus's death fulfilled the law in that regard. outc@st has explained this.
• it overlooks the possibility that Paul's use of the term blood could be 'metaphoric' not literal.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by UyiIredia(m): 10:35am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel: Let's assume ( God forbid ) that my son needs a blood transfusion to survive , what do you think I will do ?

Of course it's obvious , I will generously permit the doctors to save his life by any means.

We have to be careful that our interpretation of the bible is not based on an organisations point of view but the bible.

Just note that individuals lend credence to it by agreeing and adhering to such interpretation. Also note that in certain aspects the Bible keeps mute (or isn't explicit) such as euthanasia, m@sturb@tion and abortion. This is 'solved' by coopting verses to support or oppose such aspects. Not to mention how the Bible has been stretched to support murders or homosëxüality.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by shdemidemi(m): 11:03am On Jun 14, 2013
truthislight:

Is blood food ?

If you want all of your 'dumb' questions to be answered in the bible, the bible would be so big, everyone might need to go to Jerusalem to have a glance.

Our body responds to biology and our spirit responds to God. We are not restricted by the gospel to take care of our body through medications.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by shdemidemi(m): 11:08am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel: Let's assume ( God forbid ) that my son needs a blood transfusion to survive , what do you think I will do ?

Then you are not fit to be His disciple, God should be our number 1 priority not our children, work or anything else. It's funny how people pray to God when they need something, by the time they get the thing, the same thing distracts them from God.

1 Like

Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Just note that individuals lend credence to it by agreeing and adhering to such interpretation. Also note that in certain aspects the Bible keeps mute (or isn't explicit) such as euthanasia, m@sturb@tion and abortion. This is 'solved' by coopting verses to support or oppose such aspects. Not to mention how the Bible has been stretched to support murders or homosëxüality.

what are you ranting about ?

If you have a problem with the bible why take out your anger on me undecided

smiley
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 14, 2013
shdemidemi:

Then you are not fit to be His disciple, God should be our number 1 priority not our children, work or anything else. It's funny how people pray to God when they need something, by the time they get the thing, the same thing distracts them from God.

you totally stumped me with this one, where did God say we should not take blood transfusions.

Also is GOD in the habit of saving life or not ?

smiley
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by shdemidemi(m): 11:25am On Jun 14, 2013
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 14, 2013
shdemidemi:

I am obviously in support of blood transfusion. Were you not comparing it to a service to God?

service to God
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by shdemidemi(m): 11:29am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel:

service to God

Ignore my last post.. I am for blood transfusion of course.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
outc@st:

Your post above reveals one thing: You did not read my post!!!

Escapist. Enjoy.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Kay17: 12:24pm On Jun 14, 2013
outc@st:

Nah men...

The coming of Christ changed a whole lot for Christians. A number of laws that were applicable in the old were rendered obsolete with the coming of Christ. Like Christ said, he came to fulfil the law and not to abolish it.

He carried on himself the weight of the law for our sake and in the process established a new covenant which Christians are expected to live by.

Do note that when the Apostles gave specific instructions to the gentile converts not to eat food sacrificed to idols and the rest, they were not saying that those things were bad in themselves but on the contrary they were saying that the gentiles were not yet strong enough in the faith and this might lead them to doing things the wrong way.

Paul puts it succinctly:

1 Corinthians 8:1-2
King James Version (KJV)

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. 2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

Since you might not be interested in what sacred scriptures has to say about the matter, I will spare you further quotes but in the event that you are interested, the whole of that chapter explains why the gentiles were asked to abstain from certain food items.

I believe Demi has provided us with a reference from sacred scriptures which shows that Christians are not bound by the law of abstaining from eating some specific food items.

Isn't it dangerous to believe God's laws can be obsolete? If the divine inspired Mosaic laws can be outdated and out of touch, likewise Jesus' Gospel. And it seems Christianity is joining that boat.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by outcst: 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
Kay 17:

Isn't it dangerous to believe God's laws can be obsolete? If the divine inspired Mosaic laws can be outdated and out of touch, likewise Jesus' Gospel. And it seems Christianity is joining that boat.

Nah men!

The covenants God established with man were in phases. He had a covenant with Abraham, renewed same at the time of Moses and now the new covenant he promised was fulfilled in Jesus.

Jeremiah 31:31
King James Version (KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

This covenant Jesus came to fulfil supersedes any other and it is the will of God that it be so, not the will of man.

I don't know what you mean by the Gospel of Christ is going out of touch.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
outc@st:

Ok, if i get you right, if i dont want to abused drug by eating it via the mouth, i can use modern technics of infusing it and i will no longer be abusing it right ?

Smh.
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2013

Are there conditions for your obedience to God ?

Well, not all christians are like that, there are christians that are ready to obey Yahweh at all times even though there Lives are at stake.

Do you remember the apostles ?
Their hope of future life was based in their Obediedience to Yahweh.

frosbel:

Yes, at any means even at the expense of disobeying the source of life and giver of life.

The one whose hope of resurrection is the hope of all christian that have died.

frosbel:

"That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:29).

Between God and man who should christians obey ?

Our future life depends on who ? Frosbel ?

After taking blood, after disobeying God, we still expect him to resurrect us right ? How faithful !

Smh.

As though blood taking offers eternal life or those that take it dont and wont die again, or that taking it is the final Medical remedy, the Utopia.

As though there are no alternatives
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 14, 2013
truthislight:

Ok, if i get you right, if i dont want to abused drug by eating it via the mouth, i can use modern technics of infusing it and i will no longer be abusing it right ?

Smh.

Sorry but I fail to get your meaning! Can you 'break' it down to my level?
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 4:54pm On Jun 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

OT verses that condemn eating cows

Adam was not asked to eat meat.

When the instructions were repeated to Noah after the flood to eat meat, he was Imediately told not to take blood.

Allowance for eating of meat started with Noah after the fall of man.

Uyi Iredia:

or abstaining from women on period are glossed over).

why not speak for yourself ?

Uyi Iredia:

Even truthislight overlooks the part of Gen 9:4 where flesh is not to be eaten.

"But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat." (Genesis 9:4).

Read ^ it again.

Uyi Iredia:

• it overlooks the point that Jesus's death fulfilled the law

"That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:29).

^^

Uyi Iredia:

• it overlooks the possibility that Paul's use of the term blood could be 'metaphoric' not literal.

It was not paul that wrote it, neither was it paul that said it.

Paul was just a messenger.

Read it here again:

"For it seemed good to the Holy spirit, and to us,
to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:28-29).

Peace
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by truthislight: 5:13pm On Jun 14, 2013
shdemidemi:

If you want all of your 'dumb' questions to be answered in the bible, the bible would be so big, everyone might need to go to Jerusalem to have a glance.

Our body responds to biology and our spirit responds to God. We are not restricted by the gospel to take care of our body through medications.

Blood is not food.

cool
Re: Is Blood Transfusion A Sin? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 14, 2013
truthislight:

Blood is not food.

cool

Can you tell us what they were using blood for at the time of the Apostles?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Heart Of A Pastor / Can Angels Have Sex With People? / Why Does "Works" Work Without Prayers, But Prayers Dont Work Without "Works"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.